gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:28:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Interview  (Read 22822 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

So... Just a little question. Does Mike Love being called an asshole bother you as much as Brian Wilson being called an asshole here? If it happens to Brian are you going to interfere and question the poster's motivations? Would you do the same if the subject was Mike Love?

I'll address that directly, even though the "question" being asked already seems to have been answered by the way it was asked.

You're right, me and you know the answer already. But it was somewhat entertaining to do it.

That is complete bullshit, and I'm calling you out on it directly. So you asked for my opinion only to get my reaction that would be entertaining to you? That's provoking rather than wanting to engage a discussion. You've done this before, if that's how you get your kicks then it's truly sad that you come to this board for those reasons.

Try showing some respect, not just for me but for the board and the other members in general, and if you want a conversation, learn how to have one before asking for one.

This was pathetic but I will consider the source and will react in kind.

Is this the kind of forum everyone here wants? Consider the source.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »

So... Just a little question. Does Mike Love being called an asshole bother you as much as Brian Wilson being called an asshole here? If it happens to Brian are you going to interfere and question the poster's motivations? Would you do the same if the subject was Mike Love?

I'll address that directly, even though the "question" being asked already seems to have been answered by the way it was asked.

You're right, me and you know the answer already. But it was somewhat entertaining to do it.

That's good. Waste board space for the sake of your own lousy entertainment. Roll Eyes

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

Guitarfool is a great mod (and even greater guy), a shame to see not everybody sees it that way.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »

Even Mike & Brian don't treat each other that badly when they have issues with each other, so why should we.

Mike & Brian were tangled in massively expensive lawsuits for years. I hardly think this level of snark reaches that level of operatic, almost Shakespearean family drama.
I call bullshit. Even during those times they were civil with other. Rarely, have they been derogatory with each other. Even after C50 when Brian was asked if Mike was an asshole, he corrected the interviewer. Just because they fight over business affairs doesn't mean they disrespect each other as people and family.

Here's a question... has Brian ever called Murry an asshole? Or has anyone in the band actually said that (or not corrected an interviewer who said/inferred such)? Maybe Mike said the most strong words against Murry, I seem to recall such - but still nothing that would indicate "asshole" IIRC, because IMO, much like Mike himself, Murry was a figure who did some significant damage to people in his orbit, but still obviously had love in his heart and tried to show it, however misguided the methods may have been. Not comparing Mike to Murry, but only saying that I don't think the BBs (very especially Brian) would say that word about people who are family. They let stuff slide, for better (and usually worse), immeasurably so, because they are related.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain Mike was once quoted as saying that he was glad Murry was dead. If so I'm guessing Mike considered Murry an a$$hole and then some.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain Mike was once quoted as saying that he was glad Murry was dead. If so I'm guessing Mike considered Murry an a$$hole and then some.

I don't know about that quote but my memory is Mike has had the harshest words for Murry, the Wilsons less harsh to a little defensive, the others harsh to justified.

By "justified" I mean it seems to me they allow that Murry had to be tough with his rowdy charges and music business types etc..

FYI, Gene Voris (of the SMiLE Production Dept. memos) told me that the Boys came  early in their career for a tour of the plant and he was their guide and he thought they were sort of an unruly barefoot obnoxious bunch of kids. Something like that. I wonder if David was in the group then?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:19:45 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »

Is anyone taking the low participation so far in the "In Appreciation of Brian" thread as praise of Mike? Or criticism of Brian?

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »

Is anyone taking the low participation so far in the "In Appreciation of Brian" thread as praise of Mike? Or criticism of Brian?

No, neither.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

Guitarfool is a great mod (and even greater guy), a shame to see not everybody sees it that way.

Agreed, SB.  You and I have strong opinions, clearly, but I don't think we're mean-spirited.  GF and the other mods have to address the obnoxious posts most of us growl and pass over like we would someone's shrieking, entirely undisciplined or guided 4-year-old at the airport - well, until he's seated behind you and kicking you all the way to Chicago or somewhere - then it's personal and unbearable.  And sometimes it's tough to know the difference between opinions and humor, and someone's intention of derailing a thread for their own (or someone else's) agenda, or letting their mental illness run aggressively and nastily across the Board behind a pseudonym, or some kind of unproven authority.  Then it's a pattern and that's a little harder to determine.  I've observed all of this in my brief time here.  Not an easy task, being a mod.  My hat's off to them.      
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:12 PM »

I believe Mike called Murry an asshole, or certainly words to that effect in the same late 80's interview where when asked if he liked Brian's first solo album he replied 'f*** no'.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2015, 12:56:59 PM »

To the quotes in bold: May I ask where exactly this has happened on the board? Or who did what is being described?

So the charge is made that posters here are suggesting anyone who does not think Mike is "all-evil" (your words) and does not criticize him enough is "anti-Brian".

If such a charge is made, can you provide specifics and we can address it? Where specifically has this been done?

That is my perception anyway. I don't have enough time to do a search for those postings, but I promise I will PM you when I perceive it being the case next time.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »

Whether or not Brian, Denny or Carl called Murry an "asshole" matters little.  You gotta KNOW they thought it at the very least.  Not showing up at your own father's funeral says a TON more than just "asshole".  And it was unanimous.  Good for them. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »

No, neither.

Exactly.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »

Whether or not Brian, Denny or Carl called Murry an "asshole" matters little.  You gotta KNOW they thought it at the very least.  Not showing up at your own father's funeral says a TON more than just "asshole".  And it was unanimous.  Good for them. Cool Guy

Carl turned up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »

Whether or not Brian, Denny or Carl called Murry an "asshole" matters little.  You gotta KNOW they thought it at the very least.  Not showing up at your own father's funeral says a TON more than just "asshole".  And it was unanimous.  Good for them. Cool Guy

Right. Although 1973 was a very complicated time, and Brian + Denny's emotions were very clouded from drug use no doubt. Nevertheless, I believe that the fact that Brian (and Denny) may not have publicly stated as such for Mike, I don't really have a huge amount of doubt that this somehow is evidence meaning they don't (or didn't, up until 1983) similarly feel that word applies to Mike too. And not in a one-time-did-something-bad kind of way, but in a general, overall sense. Just my hunch. Even if a post C50 Brian wouldn't take the bait and get behind an interviewer saying it. Also doesn't mean they couldn't still have some familial love for him though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:09:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »

Carl turned up.

My old age is having its way with my memory Andrew.  Woulda sworn he didn't make it.  Not going to debate it with you though...'cause I'd be wrong.  So he went for Audree's sake then?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »

That's my understanding. I read somewhere that Carl had a major issue with Brian not going, but my memory is a bit hazy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

That's my understanding. I read somewhere that Carl had a major issue with Brian not going, but my memory is a bit hazy

In the David Leaf book, it mentions that Carl told Audree that he was pissed at Brian for going to New York after hearing of Murry's death.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »

Correct... and Audree told him she understood.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »

That is complete bullshit, and I'm calling you out on it directly. So you asked for my opinion only to get my reaction that would be entertaining to you? That's provoking rather than wanting to engage a discussion. You've done this before, if that's how you get your kicks then it's truly sad that you come to this board for those reasons.

Try showing some respect, not just for me but for the board and the other members in general, and if you want a conversation, learn how to have one before asking for one.

This was pathetic but I will consider the source and will react in kind.

Is this the kind of forum everyone here wants? Consider the source.

I made a question, which was provoking but in no way in the 'how dare you' area, which can get veeery tiring. There was a chance that you'd disagree with my angle and tell me why, which I'd read and respect. There was another chance that you'd tell me that that's the way things are and this is just a message board, no reason to get all fussed about, at least more than Mike Love himself does. That would be fair game too.

You just danced around what I said and ignored my points altogether. That was entertaining, that's all. Entertainment is very subjective.

Now, your little tantrums I could live without. But I'll try to get some entertainment from them too. I'm a 'half-full glass' kind of guy.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:03 PM »

So you consider intentionally trolling to get a rise out of people entertaining? Really?

Don't know why I bothered to even type that... as of this moment Dancing Bear has danced his way into hibernation.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »

"Do you ever see yourself retiring from music?"
"I don’t really know. Maybe this year. I’m not sure."

If that isn't the saddest thing I've read in a long while. What a shame if it is his last year of music, but if true, No Pier Pressure sounds like it'll be a great way to go out.

I don't really put a whole lot of stock in anything BW says in any interview.  He doesn't seem to put a whole lot of thought in any of his answers.  No point in taking anything he says to heart. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx