gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:11:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Interview  (Read 22939 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »

Yes, that's all true, as you summarize it, but we don't know what made things change. B says it was a BB album but it changed or he changed his mind. M says there was no talk of an album. Just a mess. BW is funny: when asked about working with DM and AJ he says "Dave did not sing on my album," which is sort of beside the point and makes him sound more like his Dad. I thought he would speak in greater detail about the emotional and artistic nature of the 2 collaborative songs. Funny sense of humor, I suppose.

Why does it make him sound like his dad when he mentioned that Dave didn't sing on the album? If he didn't sing on it, why should he say he did?

I do have to say though, it is kinda interesting that Dave apparently hasn't been part of Wilson-land since the Jeff Beck tour. Perhaps Brian and company realized that even though it was nice to have another Beach Boy on hand, he really didn't contribute enough to keep him instead of just another sideman. Whereas in the case of Al and Blondie, you have two real singers who each have their identifiable classics ("Help Me Rhonda" for Al and "Sail on, Sailor" for Blondie) and also can take leads on other songs like "California Saga / California", "Then I Kissed Her', "Cottonfields" and whatever else for Al, and then "Wild Honey" and maybe "Funky Pretty" or "Hold on Dear Brother" for Blondie. Dave on the other hand, the only real lead he could do authentically would be "Summertime Blues." So maybe that's why it wasn't worth it to keep him onboard. Or maybe they just simply aren't working together, for no particular reason.

Dave could do a killer version of Forever, too. His voice isn't bad by any means, it's just that he's more of an awesome guitarist who can sing a bit. It's not a case like Jeff Beck, whose vocal highlight was freakin' Hi Ho Silver Lining LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »

I see Dave is down for M&B gigs through to the beginning of June but perhaps the possibility of continuing throughout the summer is there?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »

I think we don't have to post everything that passes through our head.

I didn't care about Brian's last 'single/video', if it was by anyone else I'd have stopped listening in the middle of it. Now, DO I REALLY HAVE TO SHOW EVERYBODY HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT, is my opinion so important that I must repeat in every NPP thread how this new track bores me? Every day?

Well, you're certainly off to a good start.

LOL

Seriously, to me having a forum means anything and (almost) everything is up for discussion. What's worse, criticizing something someone in the band did or criticizing the people criticizing for the act of criticizing? I don't know the answer, but whatever it is I'm sure neither is that far above the other.

I get it, you guys want me to go on and on about how Brian's last track sucks, so that you can mention the "anti-Brian" crowd whenever the Mike bashing is questioned.

I'm not into that, sorry. But have fun regurgitating whatever bothers you so badly. Freedom of speech, man!

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »

Agreed. Is Club Kokomoers considered name-calling? I honestly just thought that was the term for people in that camp.

Thing is, that "camp" doesn't really exist. There's a few people here who take any non-criticism of Mike as ill-willed criticism of Brian. They place people who don't think Mike is an all-evil asshole through and through in that "camp" and honestly believe they're all anti-Brian. However, there isn't anybody with that anti-Brian mindset here that I am aware of. The few ones who really ardently defend Mike have never displayed any hate of Brian, just criticised some of Brian's actions or decisions which they feel aren't that great either.

I love the term "Kokomaoists", though. Very witty. Smiley Who invented that in the first place?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »

There have been a few antiBrian posters, most notably the now-banned Kitty Kat, but that is not as common.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2015, 12:06:28 AM »

Agreed. Is Club Kokomoers considered name-calling? I honestly just thought that was the term for people in that camp.

Thing is, that "camp" doesn't really exist. There's a few people here who take any non-criticism of Mike as ill-willed criticism of Brian. They place people who don't think Mike is an all-evil asshole through and through in that "camp" and honestly believe they're all anti-Brian. However, there isn't anybody with that anti-Brian mindset here that I am aware of. The few ones who really ardently defend Mike have never displayed any hate of Brian, just criticised some of Brian's actions or decisions which they feel aren't that great either.

I love the term "Kokomaoists", though. Very witty. Smiley Who invented that in the first place?

And then there's people like Pinder and Cam who continuously come to Mike's defense and accuse you of hating if you say anything that isn't 100% positive about him. I once got called out for praising Brian too much while neglecting Mike's talents. So it definitely goes both ways, regardless of what each camp wants to be called, they do exist.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »

And then there's people like Pinder and Cam who continuously come to Mike's defense and accuse you of hating if you say anything that isn't 100% positive about him. I once got called out for praising Brian too much while neglecting Mike's talents. So it definitely goes both ways, regardless of what each camp wants to be called, they do exist.

Not referring to your post with the next phrase, Mujan - some postings are definitely pretty camp. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »

I don't remember ever doing this to anyone let alone you. Please quote your examples and I'll apologize

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2015, 03:20:48 AM »

I feel there are, basically, four camps at work in this particular scenario

Beach Boys fans...

Brian Wilson fans...

Mike Love fans (these three are not, of necessity, in any way incompatible)...

Those who don't know what the f*** they do like (if anything), but know who they hate.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »

I feel there are, basically, four camps at work in this particular scenario

Beach Boys fans...

Brian Wilson fans...

Mike Love fans (these three are not, of necessity, in any way incompatible)...

Those who don't know what the f*** they do like (if anything), but know who they hate.

And all 4 camps are here...to attend summer camp. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »

What I'm seeing is a conflict between wishing there were no "camps" and wishing everyone would just be nice to each other as fellow fans, and getting posts like this which further define and call out whatever "camp" happens to be in the firing line of the moment.

The old saying is you can't have it both ways, so I'd suggest if this issue of different camps among fans here is what troubles some posters, then stop bringing it up and further putting people on the defensive. Or if there are legitimate disagreements and things to point out to debate, then do that case by case as you feel necessary.

To the quotes in bold: May I ask where exactly this has happened on the board? Or who did what is being described?

So the charge is made that posters here are suggesting anyone who does not think Mike is "all-evil" (your words) and does not criticize him enough is "anti-Brian".

If such a charge is made, can you provide specifics and we can address it? Where specifically has this been done?

On the other hand, last week I saw some suggestions that other fans here - however many hundreds there are - were not "fans" of the Beach Boys because they didn't post in a Mike Love best vocal thread, or were something other than fans because they didn't post in other so-called "positive" threads or whatever was the case.

That, I can call out because it's complete nonsense, and I've seen it before and have called it out as nonsense. There are days that go by where I don't post at all because of work and personal scheduling issues, and where I miss some threads (and PM's too) in the process. If one of those is a topic complimentary to a band member, and I happen not to post there, then by the logic I've seen recently (and can cite)...I'm not a real fan?

Again, if something is going to be presented as a point of concern, as was done above, providing some examples would be helpful to move things forward as necessary. If there are no examples, and perhaps it's a perception, then perhaps reconsidering further dividing our crew into "camps" by dividing them by calling out based on perception might be in order too.

Because I can pretty much be 99% almost certain ( Grin) that this situation where people here are being called out for not criticizing Mike as being "anti-Brian" isn't happening on such a scale to call out, if it's happening at all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »

What I'm seeing is a conflict between wishing there were no "camps" and wishing everyone would just be nice to each other as fellow fans, and getting posts like this which further define and call out whatever "camp" happens to be in the firing line of the moment.

The old saying is you can't have it both ways, so I'd suggest if this issue of different camps among fans here is what troubles some posters, then stop bringing it up and further putting people on the defensive. Or if there are legitimate disagreements and things to point out to debate, then do that case by case as you feel necessary.

To the quotes in bold: May I ask where exactly this has happened on the board? Or who did what is being described?

So the charge is made that posters here are suggesting anyone who does not think Mike is "all-evil" (your words) and does not criticize him enough is "anti-Brian".

If such a charge is made, can you provide specifics and we can address it? Where specifically has this been done?

On the other hand, last week I saw some suggestions that other fans here - however many hundreds there are - were not "fans" of the Beach Boys because they didn't post in a Mike Love best vocal thread, or were something other than fans because they didn't post in other so-called "positive" threads or whatever was the case.

That, I can call out because it's complete nonsense, and I've seen it before and have called it out as nonsense. There are days that go by where I don't post at all because of work and personal scheduling issues, and where I miss some threads (and PM's too) in the process. If one of those is a topic complimentary to a band member, and I happen not to post there, then by the logic I've seen recently (and can cite)...I'm not a real fan?

Again, if something is going to be presented as a point of concern, as was done above, providing some examples would be helpful to move things forward as necessary. If there are no examples, and perhaps it's a perception, then perhaps reconsidering further dividing our crew into "camps" by dividing them by calling out based on perception might be in order too.

Because I can pretty much be 99% almost certain ( Grin) that this situation where people here are being called out for not criticizing Mike as being "anti-Brian" isn't happening on such a scale to call out, if it's happening at all.

So... Just a little question. Does Mike Love being called an asshole bother you as much as Brian Wilson being called an asshole here? If it happens to Brian are you going to interfere and question the poster's motivations? Would you do the same if the subject was Mike Love?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

Personally, I don't particularly care which camp you're in (I'm a Beach Boys fan, first and foremost), but why fight with each other? Why is one person's opinion so superior to the other that we have to argue about it? Why can't we respect each other's difference of opinion? Have we forgotten how to interact with each other? Is an opinion that important that we are willing to get down and dirty to make sure that opinion wins out over everyone else's? Have we become that egotistical? I don't understand it, because the whole reason we come here is out of the love we have for the band & music. Even Mike & Brian don't treat each other that badly when they have issues with each other, so why should we.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »

Personally, I don't particularly care which camp you're in (I'm a Beach Boys fan, first and foremost), but why fight with each other? Why is one person's opinion so superior to the other that we have to argue about it? Why can't we respect each other's difference of opinion? Have we forgotten how to interact with each other? Is an opinion that important that we are willing to get down and dirty to make sure that opinion wins out over everyone else's? Have we become that egotistical? I don't understand it, because the whole reason we come here is out of the love we have for the band & music. Even Mike & Brian don't treat each other that badly when they have issues with each other, so why should we.

Let's all hate that hippie, drbeachboy.  Wink

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »

Let's all hate that hippie, drbeachboy.  Wink
Peace and Love, baby! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2015, 09:02:38 AM »

Even Mike & Brian don't treat each other that badly when they have issues with each other, so why should we.

Mike & Brian were tangled in massively expensive lawsuits for years. I hardly think this level of snark reaches that level of operatic, almost Shakespearean family drama.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

Even Mike & Brian don't treat each other that badly when they have issues with each other, so why should we.

Mike & Brian were tangled in massively expensive lawsuits for years. I hardly think this level of snark reaches that level of operatic, almost Shakespearean family drama.
I call bullshit. Even during those times they were civil with other. Rarely, have they been derogatory with each other. Even after C50 when Brian was asked if Mike was an asshole, he corrected the interviewer. Just because they fight over business affairs doesn't mean they disrespect each other as people and family.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »

I think I'd rather be less than civil sporadically on a forum than be reasonably civil throughout years of expensive lawsuits that cost the equivalent of a few houses every few years. Dunno. Could be personal taste. We now return to reasonable debate, already in progress.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »

I think I'd rather be less than civil sporadically on a forum than be reasonably civil throughout years of expensive lawsuits that cost the equivalent of a few houses every few years. Dunno. Could be personal taste. We now return to reasonable debate, already in progress.
Remind me not to sue you any time soon. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »

That was me. Just a logical counterpart to Brianista.  Grin

Kind of sad that it never took off.

Edit: I can't actually find evidence that I coined it, although I used it a bunch on the board a year or two ago. It may well have been someone else. If so, apologies!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:37:17 AM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »

So... Just a little question. Does Mike Love being called an asshole bother you as much as Brian Wilson being called an asshole here? If it happens to Brian are you going to interfere and question the poster's motivations? Would you do the same if the subject was Mike Love?

I'll address that directly, even though the "question" being asked already seems to have been answered by the way it was asked.

It's an open forum. People post opinions and they post in ways not everyone would agree with. For me, I simply ignore a lot of it and often consider the sources. That's the blessing and curse of the internet, the fact that anyone can start writing and voicing opinions however they choose. And we have the ultimate choice whether to read, then whether to react. On one prominent social media network, some "friends" see fit to post political content morning, noon, and night...and quite frankly, it becomes obnoxious. So my choice is to either ignore it completely or go one step further and "unsubscribe" so that person's ranting and raving doesn't clog my own page as I'm reading.

That's my choice and I use it where I see fit. I'd never suggest those individuals don't have the option to post what they want, but the choice is ultimately my own, and I can choose to ignore and not reply. Because honestly, I think a decent number of those folks want to argue more than they do talk or discuss.

I'd say a lot of motivation comes from simply wanting to react or wanting to start a major argument rather than having a discussion. In those cases, if it's nothing concrete or nothing relevant, I ignore it. If someone is saying something that isn't true or isn't lining up with what may be known to be true, I'll challenge it with what *I* know is true, or what I feel can be challenged.

So that's my long answer to what felt like a loaded question. What isn't on my radar doesn't bother me personally no matter what the topic might be. If it becomes an issue for the board and between individuals where lines may have been crossed beyond normal disagreements or behavior, then the moderators step in and discuss what to do.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

I stand to be corrected, and probably will be, but I can only think of three - the composer credits and Brian's pseudobiography (both settled 1994), and the Mail on Sunday freebie CD, none of which I recall as dragging on for years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »

I stand to be corrected, and probably will be, but I can only think of three - the composer credits and Brian's pseudobiography (both settled 1994), and the Mail on Sunday freebie CD, none of which I recall as dragging on for years.

Wasn't that last lawsuit originally more extensive, though?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »

Knowing our favorite detail-oriented curmudgeon was on the prowl, I should have amended that to include "...and legal threats" because boy, these guys know how to have their people fire off a curt letter back and forth and draw lines, hmm?

It all adds up to some very well-paid lawyers!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »

I'll address that directly, even though the "question" being asked already seems to have been answered by the way it was asked.

You're right, me and you know the answer already. But it was somewhat entertaining to do it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx