gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:28:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Interview  (Read 22889 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:30 AM »

It's sad if he does choose to retire. Definitely the end of an era, as far as music history goes. But he's getting on in years, and this year has been huge for him. Especially with the reunion, the last Beach Boys album produced by him, and finally releasing the SMiLE tapes a couple years ago, this new album, movie & book all lends an undeniable sense of finality to his career. What else is there to do? A Love You tour, maybe? Or releasing the Adult/Child and Paley tapes? Recording any new stuff that might come to him? I guess we'll see. Either way, great that he's ending it on his terms and covering so many bases while he still can.

I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to work with the Beach Boys again. He was willing to keep going and he was spurned, unfairly I'd say. Sometimes when you push someone away you don't get another chance, and in any case it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. Let Mike stew in his bitterness and go on making great music without having to deal with the drama and compromised vision. That's what NPP is all about.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:33:51 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »

Yes, that's all true, as you summarize it, but we don't know what made things change. B says it was a BB album but it changed or he changed his mind. M says there was no talk of an album. Just a mess. BW is funny: when asked about working with DM and AJ he says "Dave did not sing on my album," which is sort of beside the point and makes him sound more like his Dad. I thought he would speak in greater detail about the emotional and artistic nature of the 2 collaborative songs. Funny sense of humor, I suppose.

In this and other other interview on a parallel thread today he would not budge at all about the BB future and made no mention of returning to BB work with Mike. Sole focus of all his answers to anything is his solo work, album, movie. Was NPP to be a BB album? No, I changed my mind says BW. How does this relate to Mike's characterization?

Brian in the Facebook Q&A: "The album has basically been in the making since the end of The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. I started writing songs for The Beach Boys, but ended up doing a solo album, and I'm really pleased with it. Having all these young, contemporary voices really brought the record to a different level."

So, he started writing songs for a Beach Boys album, but it ended up being a solo album. Exactly as his press release states. No mention of why. No accusations. No blame shifting.  Nothing for anyone to take offense about.

It doesn't matter what The Examiner's or Mike's POV is and it doesn't matter if The Beach Boys were actually discussing or talking about or reviewing contracts on a follow up album. Creatively, Brian was writing songs for The Beach Boys. Things changed. It's now a solo album.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »

Yes, that's all true, as you summarize it, but we don't know what made things change. B says it was a BB album but it changed or he changed his mind. M says there was no talk of an album. Just a mess. BW is funny: when asked about working with DM and AJ he says "Dave did not sing on my album," which is sort of beside the point and makes him sound more like his Dad. I thought he would speak in greater detail about the emotional and artistic nature of the 2 collaborative songs. Funny sense of humor, I suppose.

In this and other other interview on a parallel thread today he would not budge at all about the BB future and made no mention of returning to BB work with Mike. Sole focus of all his answers to anything is his solo work, album, movie. Was NPP to be a BB album? No, I changed my mind says BW. How does this relate to Mike's characterization?

Brian in the Facebook Q&A: "The album has basically been in the making since the end of The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. I started writing songs for The Beach Boys, but ended up doing a solo album, and I'm really pleased with it. Having all these young, contemporary voices really brought the record to a different level."

So, he started writing songs for a Beach Boys album, but it ended up being a solo album. Exactly as his press release states. No mention of why. No accusations. No blame shifting.  Nothing for anyone to take offense about.

It doesn't matter what The Examiner's or Mike's POV is and it doesn't matter if The Beach Boys were actually discussing or talking about or reviewing contracts on a follow up album. Creatively, Brian was writing songs for The Beach Boys. Things changed. It's now a solo album.
Not that much of a mess. Brian very well could have had plans for a follow-up album without announcing it to the band, especially after what went down at the end of C50. It just went from a group album to a solo release, and that doesn't mean that the songs chosen for NPP had any possibility of being included in a Beach Boys album, but maybe some did have a chance. Who knows, you know? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »

Right, because they would have to be better than "Pisces Brothers" to make the cut and that's such a high bar to clear.

This ridiculous parsing of "talk" and "discussion" to absolve Mike Love of all blame for there not being a follow-up to "Radio" is almost adorable in it's pigheadedness. Almost.

I'm glad it worked out this way, tho. Less filler!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:26:37 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »

Right, because they would have to be better than "Pisces Brothers" to make the cut and that's such a high bar to clear.

This ridiculous parsing of "talk" and "discussion" to absolve Mike Love of all blame for there not being a follow-up to "Radio" is almost adorable in it's pigheadedness. Almost.

Completely agree. I try to hold as nuanced a view of Mike as possible, but at the end of the day he's obviously a very insecure and somewhat bitter man. He had the chance of a fresh start with the reunion and blew it. It was his choice to make, I'm sure he had his reasons, but he has to live with it now.

I know I'll get chewed out bu the apologists again for saying so, but the general public can see what's going on clear as day. Brian was probably pretty upset but he moved on and is having a very prolific year. If it is his last, it's a stunning high note to go out on. Mike's doing his usual schtick on the road and writing angry emails trying to convince somebody that he's perfect and in no way responsible for the messy, mood-killing way the reunion ended. And with that, their respective legacies are cemented. Brian's the guy that makes awesome music. Mike's the frontman on the road who creates embarrassing drama.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:44:00 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »

Brian had many songs ready to go. The Beach Boys album did not have to have every song that's on NPP. No Mike Love songs would be just fine with me. There are very few that I even listen to.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »

Completely agree. I try to hold as nuanced a view of Mike as possible, but at the end of the day he's obviously a very insecure and somewhat bitter man. He had the chance of a fresh start with the reunion and blew it. It was his choice to make, I'm sure he had his reasons, but he has to live with it now.

I know I'll get chewed out bu the apologists again for saying so, but the general public can see what's going on clear as day. Brian was probably pretty upset but he moved on and is having a very prolific year. If it is his last, it's a stunning high note to go out on. Mike's doing his usual schtick on the road and writing angry emails trying to convince somebody that he's perfect and in no way responsible for the messy, mood-killing way the reunion ended. And with that, their respective legacies are cemented. Brian's the guy that makes awesome music. Mike's the frontman on the road who creates embarrassing drama.

How sad that with Brian talking about possibly retiring, that Mike's actions show how much Mike himself cares if he never shares a stage or works with his cousin again while they are both on this earth. Not too much, it would seem. Because, you know, the mythic "room" thing is far and away more important. Talk about priorities being out of whack.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:12:51 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »

How sad that with Brian talking about possibly retiring, that Mike's actions show how much Mike himself cares if he never shares a stage or works with his cousin again while they are both on this earth. Not too much, it would seem. Because, you know, the mythic "room" thing is far and away more important. Talk about priorities being out of whack.

I just think it's pathetic he won't even admit it was his decision to end it. If he just admitted it and said why he did honestly, I think people would respect him even if they were a bit disappointed. But by trying to play the victim he's just digging his own grave as far as public perception goes. No one but the club kokomoers are buying it.

At the very least, drop the Mr. Positivity act if you're gonna keep bringing up old news and taking cheap shots. It's clear who's the bigger man when one guy dusts off and moves on while the other has to look big by trying to knock him down again.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »

Mujan refers ( rightly) to Mike looking back : but with his licence, he is kind of stuck with mining the past, making the best of early work. He could have been more "positive" had he coninued to be a recording artiste. Take some risks etc. Write about new, refreshing things....not more surfboards, cars and girls. Such a great pity.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »

True OSD.  At this point surprises are normal.  And...Normal is a surprise. LOL

I doubt that anyone on this Board, nor anyone the Board is about, is capable of "Normal" at this point.  It's over-rated anyway.  Boring.

You and me Debbie...*WE'RE* the "funny kind".  You know...*we're* "kind of funny."  Wink

[You with humour.  Me to look at]

Not certain about my humor...At this point I'm hopeful that I'm funny to look at, it's a step up from depressing.  Aging sucks.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »

Mujan refers ( rightly) to Mike looking back : but with his licence, he is kind of stuck with mining the past, making the best of early work. He could have been more "positive" had he coninued to be a recording artiste. Take some risks etc. Write about new, refreshing things....not more surfboards, cars and girls. Such a great pity.

Even in the late 60s/early 70s period he kept writing about the same thing. TM in this case, rather than beaches, but still. The man is not exactly the best songwriter, and he wonders why Brian wanted (and continues to) use outside collaborators? He should feel grateful he got to write as much as he did for TWGMTR, rather than sh!t on it.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »

I just think it's pathetic he won't even admit it was his decision to end it. If he just admitted it and said why he did honestly, I think people would respect him even if they were a bit disappointed. But by trying to play the victim he's just digging his own grave as far as public perception goes. No one but the club kokomoers are buying it.

At the very least, drop the Mr. Positivity act if you're gonna keep bringing up old news and taking cheap shots. It's clear who's the bigger man when one guy dusts off and moves on while the other has to look big by trying to knock him down again.

We are the only ones who care about it. Even I don't get that wrapped up in it. Me getting worked up over it doesn't fix a damn thing. During C50, most show-goers only got to hear two new songs and that was with a #3 album. So for Mike I doubt new music works for what he presents at his Beach Boys shows.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »

We are the only ones who care about it. Even I don't get that wrapped up in it. Me getting worked up over it doesn't fix a damn thing. During C50, most show-goers only got to hear two new songs and that was with a #3 album. So for Mike I doubt new music works for what he presents at his Beach Boys shows.
[/quote]

Of course we're the ones who care about it, because we're the biggest fans, to whom the music means the most to! The fact that there are many less-informed fans who don't care, or who glance at Mike's subterfuge excuses and actually believe them at face value, is largely what allows Mike to get away with what he does. The music of course is so good that it reins supreme and helps some of the more informed fans simply overlook the lameness and hypocrisy. I'd get less wrapped up in it if Mike would just do his crappy ego-driven behavior as he's done for decades, admit to it (or at least just stay quiet about it)... it's when it's coupled with additionally passive-aggressively picking fights with his cousin in the media that I'm Bugged With Ol' Mike Love.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »

Of course we're the ones who care about it, because we're the biggest fans, to whom the music means the most! And we're not the only ones who care. The vast majority of actions Mike has done post C50 have little by little, bit by bit, further damaged/cemented his reputation for the ages. And I hate to see that happen to a musician in my favorite band. And ironically, the actions mostly seem to be a (very) misguided attempt at damage control, but the opposite effect happens.

The fact that there are nevertheless many less-informed fans who don't care, or who glance at Mike's subterfuge excuses and actually believe them at face value, is largely what allows Mike to get away with what he does.  Kind of like the band being faceless to the country fair crowd. Works great for Mike! The music of course is so good that it reins supreme and helps some of the more informed fans simply overlook the lameness and hypocrisy. And I try to overlook it too, but it gets mighty hard at times like this. And sadly, I fully expect more trash talk about NPP from Mike in the future, too.

I'd get less wrapped up in it if Mike would just do his crappy ego-driven behavior as he's done for decades, admit to it (or at least just stay quiet about it)... it's when it's coupled with additionally passive-aggressively picking fights with his cousin in the media that I'm Bugged With Ol' Mike Love.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:03:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »

Of course we're the ones who care about it, because we're the biggest fans, to whom the music means the most!

The fact that there are many less-informed fans who don't care, or who glance at Mike's subterfuge excuses and actually believe them at face value, is largely what allows Mike to get away with what he does.  Kind of like the band being faceless to the country fair crowd. Works great for Mike! The music of course is so good that it reins supreme and helps some of the more informed fans simply overlook the lameness and hypocrisy. And I try to overlook it too, but it gets mighty hard at times like this. And sadly, I fully expect more trash talk about NPP from Mike in the future, too.

I'd get less wrapped up in it if Mike would just do his crappy ego-driven behavior as he's done for decades, admit to it (or at least just stay quiet about it)... it's when it's coupled with additionally passive-aggressively picking fights with his cousin in the media that I'm Bugged With Ol' Mike Love.

I am an informed fan and all this post C50 business isn't worth getting upset over. You guys argue this stuff through pages and pages of posts and it doesn't mean a damn thing. It isn't changing anyone's minds. They have and always will be remembered for mid-60's music, with footnotes for anything after. All the fighting and such just becomes folklore. Public perception is just that, a perception, not necessarily the full truth. I'm with David Marks on this; it's their business, let them deal with it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »

True OSD.  At this point surprises are normal.  And...Normal is a surprise. LOL

I doubt that anyone on this Board, nor anyone the Board is about, is capable of "Normal" at this point.  It's over-rated anyway.  Boring.

You and me Debbie...*WE'RE* the "funny kind".  You know...*we're* "kind of funny."  Wink

[You with humour.  Me to look at]

Not certain about my humor...At this point I'm hopeful that I'm funny to look at, it's a step up from depressing.  Aging sucks.

I feel you on aging...I remember being one of the younger BW fans on the BB message boards.... 19 years ago. Jeez...time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »

I remember the last time someone in the media asked Brian about retiring, to which Brian gave a similar noncommital response, as if the interviewer had surprised him with the question. The media promptly took Brian's response as an immediate announcement of retirement and ran with it.

Brian's next move was reuniting with the Beach Boys for TWGMTTR and the C50 tour. I'm not taking Brian's answer about retiring this time any more seriously than before. Once again, I think he was surprised to be asked the question.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

Maybe I’m just used to Brian’s interview responses being all over the place, but I don’t heavily weigh his quick blurb about possibly retiring. I think he sometimes seems to have a penchant for giving a lot of “maybe” answers to questions instead of firm “no” or “I don’t know.”

That’s not even getting into how often people can truly mean it when they say they’ll probably retire soon, only to keep going. I was recently reading old BB interviews, and there’s a Mike interview from around 1993 (one of the surly ones from the 1992-93 timeframe) where he says “Within the next five years I think I'll be doing something else.”

Even that rare Carl interview from 1989 that someone translated here awhile back had Carl correctly predicting that Mike would be the guy left standing in the touring band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »

Maybe I’m just used to Brian’s interview responses being all over the place, but I don’t heavily weigh his quick blurb about possibly retiring. I think he sometimes seems to have a penchant for giving a lot of “maybe” answers to questions instead of firm “no” or “I don’t know.”

That’s not even getting into how often people can truly mean it when they say they’ll probably retire soon, only to keep going. I was recently reading old BB interviews, and there’s a Mike interview from around 1993 (one of the surly ones from the 1992-93 timeframe) where he says “Within the next five years I think I'll be doing something else.”

Even that rare Carl interview from 1989 that someone translated here awhile back had Carl correctly predicting that Mike would be the guy left standing in the touring band.

I read the reference to retirement as it depends on how he feels, but that he'll always be doing music as a part of his life.  I think that's just an honest answer.  If you ask me what I'll be doing in 5 years or next year, I couldn't give you a better answer than that.  Can anyone else here provide a definite answer on his/her future?  I can make plans but no guarantees.  I assume it's the same for everyone.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

My impression is that Brian thinks of retirement as stopping touring -- which has been the core of his solo career in many ways. I can't imagine he'd ever close the door to studio work, especially if it's a project he feels strongly about. And as for the touring, the writing has been on the wall for that since the turn of the decade or so. He's not a Springsteen or Dylan, and I can't imagine he finds the sporadic greatest hits shows super satisfying.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

I am an informed fan and all this post C50 business isn't worth getting upset over. You guys argue this stuff through pages and pages of posts and it doesn't mean a damn thing. It isn't changing anyone's minds. They have and always will be remembered for mid-60's music, with footnotes for anything after. All the fighting and such just becomes folklore. Public perception is just that, a perception, not necessarily the full truth. I'm with David Marks on this; it's their business, let them deal with it.

THANK YOU.  The talk about Mike was such a small insignificant part of the interview, yet that is mainly what is being discussed ONCE, AGAIN. 'Oh mean Mr Mike is a doody head wah wah wah'. For f***'s sake, just stop . Please. Here's something...I have a feeling if I ever met Mike, we'd probably not hit it off that well. Very little in common except environmental concerns. Conversely, I think Brian and I have a lot in common (albeit he's a musical genius, and I'm nowhere near his league).  I have disagreed quite a bit with some of Mike's decisions over the years. That's okay. But quit making it so damn personal. Unless you are in the family, or are around them  24/7, we know jack jiminy fuckall about these human beings that we don't know personally  that some of us are saying extremely shitty things about.  Give it a rest. Confession time..there's a band member (not Mike or Brian) that I do not care for either, and rather strongly. I don't go on and on about it, constantly bring up him being a dick to fans, or dismiss his abilities just because I don't like him.  There's a fine line between honest criticism and an unhealthy obsessive hatred of someone you don't know, and the line hasn't been crossed so much as it's had a giant steaming dump taken on it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »

THANK YOU.  The talk about Mike was such a small insignificant part of the interview, yet that is mainly what is being discussed ONCE, AGAIN. 'Oh mean Mr Mike is a doody head wah wah wah'. For f***'s sake, just stop . Please. Here's something...I have a feeling if I ever met Mike, we'd probably not hit it off that well. Very little in common except environmental concerns. Conversely, I think Brian and I have a lot in common (albeit he's a musical genius, and I'm nowhere near his league).  I have disagreed quite a bit with some of Mike's decisions over the years. That's okay. But quit making it so damn personal. Unless you are in the family, or are around them  24/7, we know jack jiminy fuckall about these human beings that we don't know personally  that some of us are saying extremely shitty things about.  Give it a rest. Confession time..there's a band member (not Mike or Brian) that I do not care for either, and rather strongly. I don't go on and on about it, constantly bring up him being a dick to fans, or dismiss his abilities just because I don't like him.  There's a fine line between honest criticism and an unhealthy obsessive hatred of someone you don't know, and the line hasn't been crossed so much as it's had a giant steaming dump taken on it.
THANK YOU #2. But I guess the hatred will only stop when Brian or Mike passes away.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »

THANK YOU #2. But I guess the hatred will only stop when Brian or Mike passes away.

WHY would you expect it to stop then?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »

The band has a very complicated history, and with two clear cut camps competing with each other since the 70s. It's understandable people will probably pick one as their "side." With so much ongoing bad blood between the "artistic/progressive/Wilson" and "commercial/formula/Love" camps, tensions sometimes run high. I can't say this enough, I don't hate Mike Love. But I am very critical of a lot of things he's done and said. I think where we differ is I don't feel the need to shy away from being critical. To me, discussion forums mean going over the good and bad. I guess for those of you who've been here longer it's annoying to hear the same back and forth. Understandable. But with newer fans becoming familiar with the story and speaking their piece for the first time, it's inevitable. If Mike or his fans don't like people criticizing him, maybe he should realize how he's coming off and work on himself. But I don't think it's out of line to critique a public figure. Mike, Brian or anyone else.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »

The band has a very complicated history, and with two clear cut camps competing with each other since the 70s. It's understandable people will probably pick one as their "side." With so much ongoing bad blood between the "artistic/progressive/Wilson" and "commercial/formula/Love" camps, tensions sometimes run high. I can't say this enough, I don't hate Mike Love. But I am very critical of a lot of things he's done and said. I think where we differ is I don't feel the need to shy away from being critical. To me, discussion forums mean going over the good and bad. I guess for those of you who've been here longer it's annoying to hear the same back and forth. Understandable. But with newer fans becoming familiar with the story and speaking their piece for the first time, it's inevitable. If Mike or his fans don't like people criticizing him, maybe he should realize how he's coming off and work on himself. But I don't think it's out of line to critique a public figure. Mike, Brian or anyone else.
The thing is it isn't critical discussion. It is fighting with each other. And no matter what side you are on you will never convince the other side of your position. Just read what has been written here. We wind up fighting with each other and taking it personal and our heroes just keep going about their business. Most of all I love them for their music. It is what drew me to them in the first place. I don't know any of them. I don't know what is personal or persona with them. They have complicated relationships with each other and while we may take sharp and divided lines, I'll wager that they do not. They can fight with each other, but in the end they can come together just as quickly. These guys have been together their whole lives or at least most of it. Let's leave them to their own personal relationships.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,