gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Interview  (Read 22819 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »

http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/musicians/brian-wilson-interview-talks-60s-sound-of-no-pier-pressure-and-why-love-mercy-brought-back-a-lot-of-scary-memories
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »

That was a better interview than I thought we'd get.  Good to know there will be a tour this summer.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »

Wrote GOK for his girlfriend?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »

"Do you ever see yourself retiring from music?"
"I don’t really know. Maybe this year. I’m not sure."

If that isn't the saddest thing I've read in a long while. What a shame if it is his last year of music, but if true, No Pier Pressure sounds like it'll be a great way to go out.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »

If that isn't the saddest thing I've read in a long while. What a shame if it is his last year of music, but if true, No Pier Pressure sounds like it'll be a great way to go out.

Ya.  Absolutely...but not surprisingly.  The two things which stood out for me?

1..Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): What kind of a sense of humor do you have, Brian?

Brian Wilson: The funny kind. I’m kind of funny.

and 2...Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): Do you ever see yourself retiring from music?

Brian Wilson: I don’t really know. Maybe this year. I’m not sure.

"The funny kind".  Priceless. and then "maybe this year".  Makes tickets for the upcoming tour priceless.  It was bound to happen sooner than later.  I thought maybe they MIGHT get back togther  for year 55 but...Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): Do you see yourself getting back together with the Beach Boys in the future?

Brian Wilson: I don’t know at this time.

That isn't exactly promising.  Nothing is impossible but the sands of time are running low.  The hourglass is almost empty. Sad  Sad.  But in a happy way.  GREAT new album...what looks to be an honest and accurate movie...and the book.  How can he top that?   Maybe there's just nothing left that Brian wants or needs to do.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway...he's making an announcement in just about an hour from now.  Let's see what he has to say. Cool Guy

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:59:39 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »

My favorite Brian-ism of the interview:

"Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): What kind of a sense of humor do you have, Brian?

"Brian Wilson: The funny kind. I’m kind of funny."

That made my day.  No wonder we all love the guy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »

[/quote
I don't think he'll retire in the traditional way. As long as he's happy and healthy with a piano nearby, he'll probably continue to compose. If NPP does well, he may continue to record but perhaps not as often. Touring? Maybe, but count on that being considerably cut back. Bottom line:  this is Brian Wilson and only he knows for sure. Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »

True OSD.  At this point surprises are normal.  And...Normal is a surprise. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

I doubt that anyone on this Board, nor anyone the Board is about, is capable of "Normal" at this point.  It's over-rated anyway.  Boring.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »

I doubt that anyone on this Board, nor anyone the Board is about, is capable of "Normal" at this point.  It's over-rated anyway.  Boring.

You and me Debbie...*WE'RE* the "funny kind".  You know...*we're* "kind of funny."  Wink

[You with humour.  Me to look at]

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

You are too hard on yourself. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »

You are too hard on yourself. Grin

No you're not

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »

Now I know what it's like to be Mike. LOL

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »

In this and other other interview on a parallel thread today he would not budge at all about the BB future and made no mention of returning to BB work with Mike. Sole focus of all his answers to anything is his solo work, album, movie. Was NPP to be a BB album? No, I changed my mind says BW. How does this relate to Mike's characterization?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »

Especially if Brian changed his mind in later 2012 after 'it' all ended.  Kinda looks like that's 'about' when 'it' happened. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »

I tried "normal" once. Longest fifteen minutes of my life.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »

I tried "normal" once. Longest fifteen minutes of my life.

So...You're saying that it WASN'T a success then? Wink

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »

That would be Betsy Winans.  Smiley

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

In this and other other interview on a parallel thread today he would not budge at all about the BB future and made no mention of returning to BB work with Mike. Sole focus of all his answers to anything is his solo work, album, movie. Was NPP to be a BB album? No, I changed my mind says BW. How does this relate to Mike's characterization?

Brian in the Facebook Q&A: "The album has basically been in the making since the end of The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. I started writing songs for The Beach Boys, but ended up doing a solo album, and I'm really pleased with it. Having all these young, contemporary voices really brought the record to a different level."

So, he started writing songs for a Beach Boys album, but it ended up being a solo album. Exactly as his press release states. No mention of why. No accusations. No blame shifting.  Nothing for anyone to take offense about.

It doesn't matter what The Examiner's or Mike's POV is and it doesn't matter if The Beach Boys were actually discussing or talking about or reviewing contracts on a follow up album. Creatively, Brian was writing songs for The Beach Boys. Things changed. It's now a solo album.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »

That would be Betsy Winans.  Smiley
Who?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »

Really Billy? Huh ?  Betsy.  Come on man!!!  Brian was into enlightenment...and not just in '66 either.  He, in fact, was into 'older' experiences... like Betsy.

She was born in '32, and was she ever pretty
She rode a freight train west, all the way from Detroit city
Betsy's seen more places than I'll ever hope to see
Betsy's been more loyal than any friend could be

With some she traveled fast, with others it was slow
Betsy's seen them all, she'd seen them come and go
She must have had some others before I finally met her
And now that she's all mine, they'd better just forget her
Betsy was a lady and that she will remain
Betsy took some beatings but she never once complained

She had a classic beauty that everyone could see
I was the last to meet her, but she gave her life to me
She may be rusted iron, but to me she's solid gold
And I just can't hold the tears back
'Cause Betsy's growing old  Wink

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8796.0.html

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »

Ahh...I forgot all about that. I was gonna ask if she was any relation to CeCe Winans LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »

So folks, if you're gonna fake Brian Wilson letters in order to try to sell them, first check with Andrew to make sure you got your facts right! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:07 AM »

My consulting fee for such an enterprise starts at $1000/hour.

Seriously, was that nearly five years ago ? Gosh darn it. Looking over it once again, it would have been a helluva lot quicker to state what was right with the letters.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:30:00 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx