gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:42:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian actually produce records with Phil Spector?  (Read 3161 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »

Can't remember any! But as I was leafing thru the September 1965 Hit Parader, prior to selling it on Ebay, I noticed that Brian says he did, and he also wrote/produced a song with Darlene Love. ( Things Are Changing, perhaps? )

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:40:03 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:25 PM »

Brian wrote "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" for Phil, but held it back when he demanded a piece of the composer credits. Brian did play piano on a session for "DHMLS" that was later used for "Things Are Changin'" but it's unlikely that Spector produced it - Jerry Riopelle says he did.

So, briefly... no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »

Brian wrote "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" for Phil, but held it back when he demanded a piece of the composer credits. Brian did play piano on a session for "DHMLS" that was later used for "Things Are Changin'" but it's unlikely that Spector produced it - Jerry Riopelle says he did.

So, briefly... no.

I wonder if that was Brian being put off by that crediting request of Phil, or if Murry could have found out and put the kibosh to it.

Even if it was underhanded of Phil, I somehow doubt a starry-eyed Brian would have cared much, if solely up to him, don't you agree?
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »

So, briefly... no.

I wonder if that was Brian being put off by that crediting request of Phil, or if Murry could have found out and put the kibosh to it.

Even if it was underhanded of Phil, I somehow doubt a starry-eyed Brian would have cared much, if solely up to him, don't you agree?

Maybe. I'm glad he didn't though, whatever the reason. By all accounts, Phil's an ass. Brian was more talented even if he didn't give himself the credit yet.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »

My understanding was Phil produced the track and Jerry produced the vocals.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »

does anyone else get the irony of Brian giving him "Don't hurt my little sister" knowing now what we know about Phil and how he bullied people and eventually  killed someone? maybe Brian was trying to tell him something way back when about his bullying tactics...
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »

From an interview from 1999

http://www.steve-escobar.com/?p=39

SE: OK. Here’s an obscure one, “Things Are Changing”?

BW: “Things Are Changing For The Better”?

SE: Yeah, it’s one that you co-wrote with Phil Spector?

BW: Yeah.

SE: How did you guys wind up writing a tune together?

BW: He called me up and asked me to come to his hotel. And I went there
and we started writing, and he said, “Play in the key of A. Play ‘Don’t
Hurt My Sister’”, and he wrote a new lyric to it.

SE: Really?

SE: Wow. I didn’t connect those two songs. I’ll have to go back and listen
to them again.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »

"New York's a lonely town when you're the only surfer boy around."

Paha

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »

My understanding was Phil produced the track and Jerry produced the vocals.

Spectropop interview with Riopelle:

What can you tell us about the public service song 'Things Are Changing'?

My goodness! My wife has been working for Dr Landy, who is Brian Wilson's shrink, and I've been telling her about this song that I wrote with Phillip and Brian, but I couldn't remember the title of it! Phillip originally started the song with Brian, but it was just a chorus or something, nothing to do with the lyrics. I made the track and produced one version, with Darlene, I believe.

From what's been said, Brian wrote a song called 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister'.

Yes, that's right.

Was that version ever recorded?

I don't know about that. I know it started out as a piece Brian had written and Phillip had worked on it with him. But then the government wanted this piece, so I took it and rewrote it and produced the track on it, which is very much a 'Spector' type of track.

It's also been said that while Spector did produce a basic version with Brian on piano, the version used to back The Blossoms (and The Supremes, and Jay & The Americans) is a Riopelle re-recording, so if that's true, not only is it not a Spector production but Brian's not even on it anyway. Another day in paradise.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:02:21 AM »

Jerry Riopelle was certainly capable of recording extremely convincing Wall of Sound productions.

For those interested, here's more info regarding all this from my Spector / Wall of Sound blog

Jerry Riopelle & Spector
https://cuecastanets.wordpress.com/2014/11/22/would-be-spectors-2-jerry-riopelle/

Brian & Spector
https://cuecastanets.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/would-be-spectors-4-brian-wilson/

And a bit more on Brian & Spector; a guest post courtesy of guitarfool from this board.
https://cuecastanets.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/guest-post-phil-spector-and-brian-wilson/

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »

Bumping this old topic as I've recently spoken with a very reliable source about this. The person in question claims that he has heard a version of 'Don't Hurt my Little Sister' with Darlene Love singing lead - not 'Things are Changing' but 'Don't Hurt my Little Sister.'

As far as I've understood, the recording my source heard featured Darlene during vocal takes and you can hear Brian in the studio chatting with her between takes. Apparently, at one point he asks her 'Is that a wig?' and then what the cost is. Upon hearing her response, naming some amount, he's said to answer 'Gee!' Very innocently and in typical Brian fashion. Cheesy

Given the source, who I won't reveal but trust - it's someone in the know - I'm pretty sure that a Spector or Riopelle-produced recording of 'Don't Hurt my Little Sister' exists with somwhat direct involvement from Brian. Whether or not the track was fully produced I don't know but I would guess so if Darlene was brought in to lay down actual lead vocals. Based on previously leaked vocal session Spector tracks where you get to sort of be a fly on the wall, I'd say the backing track would have been completed, only lacking possible strings and back-up vocals.

Maybe there's a fully produced Spector version in the vaults that somehow didn't see release? Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Remember; Spector kept glorious tracks like 'This could be the Night' by the MFQ and 'Paradise' by the Ronettes in the can. Perhaps Riopelle dusted off the recording and produced new vocals for 'Things are Changing' using an existing Spector backing track? Or perhaps he just used a former track as a blueprint for his own backing track? Who knows?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:15:08 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx