gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:20:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best "Best of" Compilation.  (Read 7819 times)
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »

I too choose Endless Summer.  And by that I mean the vinyl, with the great gatefold
cover and mysterious and venerable painted images of Beach Boys in tall grass.

[and definitely not the later version with Good Vibrations tacked onto the end --GV,
which, as Phil Spector noted, had to be made in parts and put together. Oy vey.]

And I'll make another suggestion...Stack-o-Tracks.  Again, the vinyl.  For me, it
comes across as an onslaught of inspiration and deep art, start to finish.  With a story that differs
from that of Pet Sounds ... more like, "Ladies and Gentlemen...an arcanum of the universe".
--and even though it contains some PS tracks.

Seriously.  Stack-o-Tracks slays me to this day. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »

I too choose Endless Summer.  And by that I mean the vinyl, with the great gatefold
cover and mysterious and venerable painted images of Beach Boys in tall grass.

[and definitely not the later version with Good Vibrations tacked onto the end --GV,
which, as Phil Spector noted, had to be made in parts and put together. Oy vey.]

And I'll make another suggestion...Stack-o-Tracks.  Again, the vinyl.  For me, it
comes across as an onslaught of inspiration and deep art, start to finish.  With a story that differs
from that of Pet Sounds ... more like, "Ladies and Gentlemen...an arcanum of the universe".
--and even though it contains some PS tracks.

Seriously.  Stack-o-Tracks slays me to this day.  

Wasn't really going to comment with my choice, but based on yours I will:  

The Beach Boys Deluxe 3 Pack ( 4X3T-359 & 8X3T-359) cassette and 8 tracks only  Comprising Today, Pet Sounds and Friends
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:19:03 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

The first compilation I bought was Beach Boys - 20 Good Vibrations, The Greatest Hits (Volume 1) about six year ago when I was getting into the beach boys (was 18).

When I was in my early teens I remember downloading a few BB hits for my iPod and had "Kokomo," "Fun, Fun, Fun," "Little Deuce Coupe, "and "Help Me, Rhonda" and one or two more. 

I remember liking their songs but after a few months I stopped listening to them and nearly forgot all about them.  About three years later, I saw on Itunes  Pet Sounds (40th Anniversary) for like 8 bucks and I bought that and after a second listen, I was blown away with the album. Pet Sounds caught me and brought me around to all their hits   LOL  which I had all but forgotten in the meantime.

I went out to the Circuit City closing sale two months after listening to and obsessing over Pet Sounds and happened to find 20 Good Vibrations for probably ten dollars (I just happened to find it as if it were preordained. I was not looking for any BB material).

From that point I could not get enough of them, and I remember "Help, Me Rhonda" being my favorite (probably is to this day). 

At that point I still had a gap in my collection in terms of "hits" so I bought Sounds of Summer and Warmth of the Sun around May 2009 (just graduated high school). Those two albums became the soundtrack to my summer in Australia and Spain and remain important to me to this day (certain songs bring back so many memories for me. It's kinda sad and eerie in a way).  I credit the former for making the hits accessible all in one place and the latter for introducing me to great tunes like "Forever," "Surf's Up," and "'Til I Die."  This allowed me to branch out little by little into Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland a few years down the road.  As Mike said in the release interview, those two albums (paraphrasing) are companion albums.

I think I'm an abnormality since Pet Sounds can be hard to get into if you're not ready for it and probably is not the sure fire way to get someone really introduced/into the band.

So my vote would be for Sounds of Summer and Warmth of the Sun as a great way to introduce them to new/tepid listeners.  I have had success playing some deep cuts off WOTS like "Feel Flows" and "All This is That" for some college friends who are/were into the "typical" college groups like Phish, etc.  I guess it really helps to know your audience.

I have Endless Summer on vinyl and my only complaint that "Help Me, Rhonda" isn't the album version Sad Other than that it's a good compilation and fun to put on when hanging out.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »

My vote goes to Ten Years of Harmony, but all of these comps have my scratching my head at some choices, and wanting to make my own comp.  3 "MIU" songs on TYOH, but only one "Love You" and 2 "LA"? And where are Dennis' songs (other than "River Song) ?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »

Honestly if I was to try to win over a new fan I'd give 'em 'The Warmth Of The Sun' from a few years back. An absolutely excellent compilation that eschews the obvious hits, flows beautifully and shows a newcomer just how deep and rich the catalog is beyond what they'll have already heard in passing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »

"Sounds of Summer" is the best comp you can give to a BBs' new fan. It's got many goodies  & has the best sonics, very bright. I don't like the inclusion of Dance Dance Dance with castanets, but everything else is a good choice & balanced enough sequencing who's into that stuff. I'll advise anyone to start there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »

"Sounds of Summer" is the best comp you can give to a BBs' new fan. It's got many goodies  & has the best sonics, very bright. I don't like the inclusion of Dance Dance Dance with castanets, but everything else is a good choice & balanced enough sequencing who's into that stuff. I'll advise anyone to start there.

The Platinum Edition or 3 disc version or whatever the heck it's called is without a doubt the definitive hits compilation. No doubt about that. My problem is that it was so comprehensive as far as the well-known material is concerned that probably a lot of people bought that and thought they had all of The Beach Boys that was worth hearing.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 12:39:42 AM »

20 Golden Greats was definitely a great primer for me (though I'd already heard Pet Sounds). All the major UK hits of the Capitol era, leaving out all the deep cuts for me to discover myself. All these songs have an immediacy, a poptasticness to them, from Surfin' Safari to Breakaway. All of them sound like number one hits.  Whereas I couldn't say the same of Endless Summer. though I grew to love it, on first listen I was taken aback by the spareness of some of those early hits/deep cuts. Maybe, even though I was born long after the sixties ended, the British view of the Beach Boys is my cultural inheritance.

Please delete my account
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »

I say Made in USA cuz its got the essentials plus CA dreamin & rockNroll to the rescue which I love.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 03:24:30 AM »

The Platinum Edition or 3 disc version or whatever the heck it's called is without a doubt the definitive hits compilation. No doubt about that. My problem is that it was so comprehensive as far as the well-known material is concerned that probably a lot of people bought that and thought they had all of The Beach Boys that was worth hearing.

My first real entry into the BBs world, it seems to have the best ever mastering/mix of Cottonfields I've ever heard plus the single edit of Here Comes The Night for those who don't wish to wade through the 11 minute version.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:50 AM »

One of my favorites was "Good Vibrations - The Best Of The Beach Boys" (cover had a wave crashing over a rock).  Was my first introduction to some of the mid to late sixties and early 70's tracks.    It was a good one.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 05:16:09 AM »

Sounds of Summer. The first Beach Boys cd i bought. Loved hearing all the classics, (my favorite at the time being I Get Around) & discovering hidden gems like Getcha Back.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 07:09:30 AM »

I think "Sounds of Summer" and "Warmth of the Sun" make a nice one-two punch of the most popular with some generally lesser well known, but accessible songs.

Yup, if that was a 2CD set, it'd be pretty close to perfect.
Agreed ! A 2 cd set of these would be my choice too...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »

The one I, personally, enjoy the most is "Summer Love Songs". Not strictly a "greatest hits" package, although it does contain several of the hits - along with many cuts of the "deeper" variety. This has SO many great-sounding Brian Wilson leads presented in modern-day stereo remixes (which admittedly may seem revisionist to many), and it's an HDCD releae...consequently, it sounds just great in my car stereo! I've recommended to friends - and the fact my name is in the booklet doesn't hurt!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »

The one I, personally, enjoy the most is "Summer Love Songs". Not strictly a "greatest hits" package, although it does contain several of the hits - along with many cuts of the "deeper" variety. This has SO many great-sounding Brian Wilson leads presented in modern-day stereo remixes (which admittedly may seem revisionist to many), and it's an HDCD releae...consequently, it sounds just great in my car stereo! I've recommended to friends - and the fact my name is in the booklet doesn't hurt!

Agreed! This was one the first Beach Boy albums I bought at the genesis of my obsessive fandom...'Fallin in Love' really helped push me into getting into the deeper/later cuts. The new stereo mixes were mind-blowing, as at this point I had only really heard these songs in mono. The 2009 stereo version of 'Don't Worry Baby' is one of the most sonically satisfying songs I've ever heard.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 12:08:19 AM »

Rab, I just noticed your avatar caption... and spat tea all over the walls.   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 02:21:03 AM »

The follow-up to The Warmth Of The Sun compilation I touted earlier. I wish they'd kept going with them for at least another volume.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 02:57:40 AM »

In '74 I was in my last year of high school here in the land of Oz (equivilant to the last tear of senior high in the US) when Endless Summer went No. 1 and justified my musical taste among my peers and made the In Concert album THE PARTY ALBUM of the summer of '74 (and giant swells of that year) among the high school surf crowd of southern Sydney (it was popular and cool but still ground breaking and could sit among Pink Floyd, Yes and Divid Bowie as socially acceptable).

However on a personal level I never owned Endless Summer as I already had everything - my acceptance of Beach Boys compilations as an accepatable concept did not happen until a serendipitous experience when I was in the US and went to Starbucks for coffee and found the Summer Crush compilation. For me the best ever Beach Boys compilation ... thank you Starbucks ... your coffee may suck but your Beach Boys compilation rules!:

I Can Hear Music
Don’t Worry Baby
Sail on, Sailor
God Only Knows
Surf’s Up
Wouldn’t it Be Nice
Friends
Add Some Music to Your Day
Sloop John B
Cool, Cool Water
Disney Girls
Good Vibrations
Caroline, No
Do it Again

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »

Rab, I just noticed your avatar caption... and spat tea all over the walls.   Grin

LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »

Personally, I think the Beach Boys sound terrific on the modern-day stereo remixes. Some get a bad rap, but many make the guys sound amazing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »

Personally, I think the Beach Boys sound terrific on the modern-day stereo remixes. Some get a bad rap, but many make the guys sound amazing.

To me, it's like giving the songs a technicolor makeover. They sound great as is, but those tunes are layered with so much dynamic power that they sound amazing with these new mixes. Mark, Alan, and any other sound engineers that worked on these recent remixes deserve a lot of credit for their work. The new stereo mix of 'Summer Days' is jaw-dropping Shocked

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx