gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:52:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Mike lead vocals  (Read 18692 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »

his verse on the album version of isn't it time is pretty great.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:03:20 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »

His lead on Cherry Cherry Coop is bad-ass
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »

I think it's rather telling seeing who's not participating on this thread .....

Some folks really just don't like the Beach Boys

Pinder, you managed to bring bitterness to this thread. That was unnecessary. Let's try to be better than this, ok? Hug Be thankful this thread didn't get trolled by the usual suspects (yet) and just enjoy.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 05:28:41 AM »

Just enjoyed the heck out of That's Not Me.  Man!!!  That 'Pet Sounds' ain't a bad album still eh?  Even after ALL these years. Cool Guy

These guys might make it big ya know.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:50 AM »

All I Want to do.
Here Today.
California Girls
Johnny Carson
That's Not Me.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 07:01:48 AM »

Drive In. Mike really was king of those kind of subjects and delivering them vocally.
California Girls. Iconic.
Meant For You. Never has Mike sung so sweetly.
Kiss Me Baby, Nobody can do bass vocals like Mike Love.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »

Hmmm, by cracky I can't think of a single one outta the bunch. Oh well... Old Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

Hmmm, by cracky I can't think of a single one outta the bunch. Oh well... Old Man
Come on OSD - I bet if you had some truth serum, you'd come clean with all those Mike leads you love... LOL

Your bark is worse than your bite I bet!  Wink

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »

Drive In. Mike really was king of those kind of subjects and delivering them vocally.

I love, love, love Drive In. When Mike sings the part about the drive-in people chasing the gate crashers, I laugh out loud, and his vocal is suitably comedic.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »

I love Meant for You and Big Sur/Holland, as they cast Mike against type and are sung so beautifully. As far as classic BB tunes, I'd go with California Girls and Do It Again.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »

I love, love, love Drive In. When Mike sings the part about the drive-in people chasing the gate crashers, I laugh out loud, and his vocal is suitably comedic.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that one.  Smiley
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »

"Kiss Me, Baby". One of Brian's more stellar efforts too.

It's hard for me to tell, is Brian singing with Mike on the verses, or is it just Mike doubletracked?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »

Come on OSD - I bet if you had some truth serum, you'd come clean with all those Mike leads you love... LOL

Could be, but I've been so over the nasal, teenage dronings of the luHvster for decades now. It was fun for awhile in high scholl and a few years after that but quite honestly, while growing up, I grew out of most of the sand, surf, and beach thing. Every fan ages to their own beat.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »

Could be, but I've been so over the nasal, teenage dronings of the luHvster for decades now. It was fun for awhile in high scholl and a few years after that but quite honestly, while growing up, I grew out of most of the sand, surf, and beach thing. Every fan ages to their own beat.

Not even Here Today or That's Not Me?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »

Pet Sounds is da bomb-my favorite however, all they way back to the initial listening, I always wondered why Brian didn't use Al  or Carl instead of the luhvster on those tunes.  Shrug

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »

Pet Sounds is da bomb-my favorite however, all they way back to the initial listening, I always wondered why Brian didn't use Al  or Carl instead of the luhvster on those tunes.  Shrug

Probably because Brian thinks/thought Mike had some vocal talent suited to the song.

I suspect you wonder that a lot to be honest. We could probably trace it all the way back to wondering why a different sperm didn't make it to Mike's mom's egg. Hey, I'm coming to a conclusion here....and I don't want to put words in your mouth but......I'm starting to think you don't like Mike?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »

Probably because Brian thinks/thought Mike had some vocal talent suited to the song.

I suspect you wonder that a lot to be honest. We could probably trace it all the way back to wondering why a different sperm didn't make it to Mike's mom's egg. Hey, I'm coming to a conclusion here....and I don't want to put words in your mouth but......I'm starting to think you don't like Mike?

Ya think???  Roll Eyes

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »

I've always trusted Brian's intuition on which singer to use.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 08:46:40 PM »

Oh it has little to do with trusting Brian. More like a personal preference. By the way, did you get your gift?? Wink

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »

Oh it has little to do with trusting Brian. More like a personal preference. By the way, did you get your gift?? Wink

I did! I was going to say something about it, but I kept forgetting. I planned on posting a picture of it somewhere, but I've already forgotten where I put it. It's in my room somewhere. It took me a while to actually figure out how to open the CD case and get to the CD. Why would they make the packaging so complicated? Anyway, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:54:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

He did it just to prove you wrong.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »

Your bark is worse than your bite I bet!  Wink

Pet Sounds is da bomb-my favorite however, all they way back to the initial listening, I always wondered why Brian didn't use Al  or Carl instead of the luhvster on those tunes.  Shrug

Ya think???  Roll Eyes

I'm not sure. Post about it another 200 times or so just for clarifications sake on your position?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:10:44 PM by elnombre » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »

Your bark is worse than your bite I bet!  Wink

Pet Sounds is da bomb-my favorite however, all they way back to the initial listening, I always wondered why Brian didn't use Al  or Carl instead of the luhvster on those tunes.  Shrug

Ya think???  Roll Eyes

I'm not sure. Post about it another 200 times or so just for clarifications sake on your position?
Tell ya what son, let's make it an even 400 - if that doesn't get it done, we'll go the full 12 rounds.  Cool Guy

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 11:27:50 PM »

My favorite Mike vocals...

"All I wanna Do" - urgh... the pretty one, if I missed the title phrasing.  Simply because it's so different than what he usually did.  Also it's covered in reverb and I really like it when the Beach Boys monkey with vocal effects Smiley

"California Girls" - I actually have this stuck in my head, all the time.  It's such a perfect, "Swag" vocal, "Well, East Coast Girls Are Hip!" I catch myself humming that all the time as ridiculous as that sounds.

"409" - Maximum swag on this one.  Something about the start of the song "Well, I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes..." he sounds like such a badass.  It's a style.

"Kokomo" - It's a good song.  He does a fantastic job with the vocal.  There , I said it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »

"Fair F**ks"? What's that? Fair Fucks? Fair Folks? Why the asterisks?

But I'll play. There are quite a few very good leads by Mike Love. But let me pull just one of them out of my hat that isn't so obvious to many. A travesty that it wasn't released on "Made In California":

Big Sur (4/4).

Yeah, forgot about that one.  Very well done, I don't know why the hell he never was able to string together a decent solo album with that style on it.  It's almost like his speaking voice, his speaking voice is really nice but he doesn't typically sing like that. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx