gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Mike lead vocals  (Read 18551 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:56 AM »

To me 'All I Wanna Do' shows his best range and soul of any of the songs he sings.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »

All I Wanna Do is the penultimate Mike vocal.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »

All I Wanna Do is the penultimate Mike vocal.
Maybe it should find it's way into the setlist... Wink

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:16 AM »

Here Today
Salt Lake City
Kiss Me Baby

Also love his parts on Let Him Run Wild and It's About Time
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »

One of Mike's best moments, that I think exemplifies a lot of what makes him important to the group's sound is his doubling of Carl's voice on the first line in 'This Whole World' (listen closely ... in the left channel). If you 'OOPS' the track, you can hear just Mike.

So wait, what's the deal with the first line of TWW? Something about the quality of the vocal in that first line always left me a little uncertain, but i just always assumed it was Carl. Then, a few months ago, i was taken aback when i noticed that the consensus here says it's Brian. With a new perspective, i listened to that opening over and over and slowly i started hearing it as Brian. But then i returned to it after some time only to revert to my initial stance that it's Carl. However, since then i've (mostly) come around to accepting that it's Brian. But you say it's Carl and Mike doubling each other?? Why you do this to me, Donny?  Cry

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 10:22:22 AM »

Meant For You is a great Mike vocal. I wonder, did Mike not like the way he sounded on this song? Did he (or Brian) feel this wasn't the right "Mike" type of sound? Because he so rarely sounded like this again on record.

Also: Kokomo, which presumably due to the cheesy lyrics and massive overexposure of the song, probably makes it overlooked as one of Mike's best-delivered vocals. "By and by we'll defy", for example, has a little twinge of vibrato or something, which sounds super to my ears.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:23:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »

"In an ocean...or in a glass...cool water, is SUCH a gas."

Simple.  Perfect. Humorous.  Timeless.   Refreshingly right.

[Yet...not that many seconds later..."cool water is such a groove" which is dated and therefore not a good idea to have included it.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

I've always liked the way Mike sings words with an "er" sound in them, especially the word "girl".  I know that is not a favorite lead, but it is what it is.  I really like his voice, nasal bit and all.  It's nostalgic and reminds of the good things in life, which probably means it reminds me of the relative innocence of youth, which is when I was first exposed to the Beach Boys.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

One of Mike's best moments, that I think exemplifies a lot of what makes him important to the group's sound is his doubling of Carl's voice on the first line in 'This Whole World' (listen closely ... in the left channel). If you 'OOPS' the track, you can hear just Mike.

So wait, what's the deal with the first line of TWW? Something about the quality of the vocal in that first line always left me a little uncertain, but i just always assumed it was Carl. Then, a few months ago, i was taken aback when i noticed that the consensus here says it's Brian. With a new perspective, i listened to that opening over and over and slowly i started hearing it as Brian. But then i returned to it after some time only to revert to my initial stance that it's Carl. However, since then i've (mostly) come around to accepting that it's Brian. But you say it's Carl and Mike doubling each other?? Why you do this to me, Donny?  Cry

Do you know how to 'OOPS' the track? Someone with more computer-music knowledge can tell you ... I think you just have to invert the phase/polarity on one of the channels in audacity or something (basically, you want to cancel out the middle channel). You'll hear it's Mike! ... just him without Carl. But yeh, it's Carl on the main vocal in the middle and Mike in the left channel.

Anyway, I honestly feel like this is one of those moments that makes me understand why Mike is such an important part of the BB sound. It sounds kinda off-the-cuff too. I think the combination is one of those 'hidden' voices that can add so much dimension to the whole.

But "That's Not Me" kills me and makes me weep in certain moods.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:16:03 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »

"In an ocean...or in a glass...cool water, is SUCH a gas."

Simple.  Perfect. Humorous.  Timeless.   Refreshingly right.

Originally, "In a bottle or/In a glass/Coca Cola is/Such a gas".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »

All I Want To Do from 20/20-his best rocking vocal. All I Wanna Do from Sunflower and Here Today are great too. I also like his part on Sloop John B.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »

His bass vocal on Let Him Run Wild is freaking amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »

I think it's rather telling seeing who's not participating on this thread .....

Some folks really just don't like the Beach Boys
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »

I'll give my three favorites:

I Get Around- Mike gives the song the vocal edge to match the cool lyric
Here Today- I love the song. Great lead vocal, great background vocals, and a terrific arrangement. Probably my second favorite Pet Sounds track after Wouldn't It Be Nice.
All I Wanna Do- Great vocal range on this song.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:33:00 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »

Lots of great mentions here.

More recently, it was quite a thrill for me the first time I heard Mike pop up for the second verse of Isn't It Time.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

All I Want To Do - great rocking vocal , Mr Peace and Sex
All I Wanna Do - majestic and spiritual
California Girls - so well phrased and taken, hard to imagine anyone else surpassing it
All This Is That - Ok not all his vocals, but like many others (eg Cabinessence) his singing adds the well measured earth to this

Perfect,  just one more.....
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »

Kiss Me, Baby is my favorite lead, and I also like most all of his bass parts.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

Kiss Me, Baby is my favorite lead, and I also like most all of his bass parts.
Another great bass part of Mike's is Break Away. You can really hear it in all it's glory on the Hawthorne CA mix.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »

I really like his whiny proto-punk vocals on "Little Honda," but my favorite Mike Love vocal has to be that bit in "Summer of Love" where he proclaims "it" to be a "love thing." I almost pissed myself laughing rewinding it over and over and over again. Weak bladder or comedy gold? You decide.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »

I always dug how Mike sang his lead on "Don't Hurt My Little Sister."  Just squares up and nails it.  He does like, the first person voice of the "big brother."  And the Boys sings what he's feeling and thinking.  Just a brilliant little composition.  Everything is perfect.  Perfect!!!

bluesno1fann
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »

All I Want To Do is a favourite of mine for sure
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »

I love how he sings "409".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »

I think it's rather telling seeing who's not participating on this thread .....

Some folks really just don't like the Beach Boys

LOL

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

California Girls - so well phrased and taken, hard to imagine anyone else surpassing it

Yes, yes.  And triple yes.  Quite possibly one of the most greatest, iconic lead vocals of all time - as far as I'm concerned.  That entire song is gold -- something altogether extraordinary.  A religious ceremony.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »

Also a huge fan of Mike's lead on California Saga III - CaliforniaJust love it!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx