gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:01:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lesser albums by the BBs compared to lesser albums by their contemporaries  (Read 12573 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »

Don't worry one iota Charlie.  There are at least 2 people here who think that Deja Vu is a less than great album.  YOU, my friend, are SAFE. LOL  [and sane.  Wink]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »

eventually they would have put out 1 or 2 plain awful albums.

Hehe, IMHO the Beatles did do that with their last two ones! Grin

Not a fan of Let It Be, but I think it's at least competent. Love Abbey Road. White Album has enough great songs for a great album if egos didn't ensure the good was buried in a mountain of filler. Honestly, I think Pepper is fluff.

Even so, no band I can think of has a SIP to answer for. You don't get to just discount it because Brian wasn't involved. Even if you do, 15 Big Ones is almost as awful and DID include Brian, so...
Well, if we can include the Brian-less SIP, then I guess we can include the final Lovin' Spoonful album, minus Sebastian and Zally, Revelation '69 or whatever it's called. Just awful - and I actually liked Joe Butler's songs on the earlier albums, but a whole album of his stuff? No thanks.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:40 AM »

I vastly prefer Octopus' Garden to Yellow Submarine, which I always hated. Never understood the flack the former or praise the latter gets.

Rubber Soul and Revolver are the best Beatles albums. Abbey Road is third. After that it doesn't really matter.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 02:52:45 AM »

The Monkees "Pool It". A once great group doesn't sink any lower than this.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:26 AM »

Does Velvet Underground's Squeeze count? I've never heard it, and I'm not a particular fan of the Velvets, but it does have an infamous reputation.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »

Does Velvet Underground's Squeeze count? I've never heard it, and I'm not a particular fan of the Velvets, but it does have an infamous reputation.

If it was a Doug Yule solo album, it would be a nice little obscure rock album, with 5 good tracks and 7 other more in the 'meh' park. Because of the credited artist it's become this abomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCwGBHd61s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_g6FT794o

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »

Well, it didn't help that the best songwriter in the group, Papa Nez, was not involved; or that the other 3 did not assist each other on their tracks.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »

Justus is no picnic either.
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »

Monkees are not comparable. Who By Numbers is a brave,  abrasive album, well superior to Who Are You. I can only co spider the Who, Kinks and Rolling Stones as comparable to BBs given the time they started and finished, thus Dirty Work by the Stones stands as a wretched product equal to the worst of the BBs.

Perfect,  just one more.....
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »

Justus is no picnic either.

I like Justus. It's no match for PACJLTD or Headquarters, though.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »

Monkees are not comparable. Who By Numbers is a brave,  abrasive album, well superior to Who Are You. I can only co spider the Who, Kinks and Rolling Stones as comparable to BBs given the time they started and finished, thus Dirty Work by the Stones stands as a wretched product equal to the worst of the BBs.

Dirty work is only "wretched" compared to OTHER STONES records.  It is miles better than the BB worst stuff.  In fact, you just stumbled upon the answer:  The Stones have held a MUCH higher level of quality throughout their entire career than anyone else by a long shot.  /thread
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

Dirty work is only "wretched" compared to OTHER STONES records.  It is miles better than the BB worst stuff.  In fact, you just stumbled upon the answer:  The Stones have held a MUCH higher level of quality throughout their entire career than anyone else by a long shot.  /thread
Well, I can't think of a Kinks album that ranks as low as SIP. Soap Opera is my least favorite, but I wouldn't call it absolutely awful.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

I actually like "The Soft Parade", I know a lot of people don't like it, but IMO it has the best Production out of all the their albums, it's mainstream with horns etc, which is different from their other albums but if you think about it, that album IS the Doors experimenting, it reminds me of the Monkees PAC&J in the sense that it's obvious that they took time with the record to make it perfect, and maybe that's the reason a lot of people don't like "The Soft Parade", but to my ears the fact that it's as well produced as it is is because the Doors were experimenting outside of their normal sound, they also experiment with Country music and R&B on that album and they actually go for different sounds, don't get me wrong I like their other albums ,but for me the Soft Parade underrated...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:20:43 PM by joshferrell » Logged
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »

Too true... but IMHO they redeemed themselves considerably with the excellent Justus. Yes, it wasnt HQ or PACJ but it was a vast improvement on the aforesaid abomination ... and Changes for that matter.
As for Chicago... when WAS their last really good release ?? Chicago XVIII ?? Sisyphus ??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:43:45 PM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »

Well, I can't think of a Kinks album that ranks as low as SIP. Soap Opera is my least favorite, but I wouldn't call it absolutely awful.

UK Jive and Phobia are tragic, The Kinks really had lost it by the last couple of albums.
P.S. Soap Opera is a campy classic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »

I know many disagree but I really don't consider SIP to be a benchmark for bad albums. Yes it's clearly one of their lesser efforts but there's actually a few okayish songs on it, once you get past the horrible, cheap sounding production. Other then a few shitty covers much of the album is simply 'meh', neither good nor bad. There are a couple of stinkers on Love You and Beach Boys 85 that are FAR worse then anything off SIP.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:06:02 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »

As for Chicago... when WAS their last really good release ?? Chicago XVIII ?? Sisyphus ??

YIKES! Well before that! I get off the Chicago train after Chicago 13, the Donnie Dacus era is a masterwork compared to the Cetera 80s power ballad schlock.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »

If it was a Doug Yule solo album, it would be a nice little obscure rock album, with 5 good tracks and 7 other more in the 'meh' park. Because of the credited artist it's become this abomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCwGBHd61s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_g6FT794o

I used to have a CD of a Lou Reed radio broadcast. In the interview Lou is asked where Doug Yule is these days. He deadpans "Dead I hope" to an audible gasp from the crowd. Made me laugh.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »

People rip on Think Visual a lot but I LOVED that album.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »

Just some thoughts here:

Surely the worst Doors albums must be the two they cut after Jimbo died, right? There's still some good stuff there, but not at the level of their core catalog (how could it be?). Soft Parade happens to be one of my favorites, though I know it's a divisive album.

Similarly, I would think the low ebb of Pink Floyd would be something like Delicate Sound of Thunder that was released after RW left. With the Who, I'd say Endless Wire is the obvious low point (I LOVE By Numbers).

Pool It and Justus are each about half-good to my way of thinking. Take the best cuts from both and you've got a decent album.

If you want to talk bad late period efforts, the Nashville reunion tracks on the Byrds box set really stink, except "Love That Never Dies" which is not the Byrds at all, but a McGuinn solo track. Of all the great songs they could have covered, they went with "From a Distance"? (Now where is that puke emoticon when I need it?)

The bottom of the barrel can probably be found on various solo efforts from the 80s and 90s by Davy Jones, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle (excepting the title track from "Too Late the Hero" which is great), Mike Love, Macca (Pipes of Peace or Broad Street anyone?), Jagger, Bowie, Neil... the list goes on. Those two decades were like kryptonite to most classic rock idols. Of the big names only Springsteen seems to have thrived, and he was a little younger going in than the rest of those guys. The point is that the Beach Boys were far from the only ones releasing substandard goop during that era.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:48:54 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »

Just some thoughts here:

Surely the worst Doors albums must be the two they cut after Jimbo died, right? There's still some good stuff there, but not at the level of their core catalog (how could it be?). Soft Parade happens to be one of my favorites, though I know it's a divisive album.

Similarly, I would think the low ebb of Pink Floyd would be something like Delicate Sound of Thunder that was released after RW left. With the Who, I'd say Endless Wire is the obvious low point (I LOVE By Numbers).

Pool It and Justus are each about half-good to my way of thinking. Take the best cuts from both and you've got a decent album.

If you want to talk bad late period efforts, the Nashville reunion tracks on the Byrds box set really stink, except "Love That Never Dies" which is not the Byrds at all, but a McGuinn solo track. Of all the great songs they could have covered, they went with "From a Distance"? (Now where is that puke emoticon when I need it?)

The bottom of the barrel can probably be found on various solo efforts from the 80s and 90s by Davy Jones, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle (excepting the title track from "Too Late the Hero" which is great), Mike Love, Macca (Pipes of Peace or Broad Street anyone?), Jagger, Bowie, Neil... the list goes on. Those two decades were like kryptonite to most classic rock idols. Of the big names only Springsteen seems to have thrived, and he was a little younger going in than the rest of those guys. The point is that the Beach Boys were far from the only ones releasing substandard goop during that era.

LOL at "substandard goop" Smiley

But yeah… It's always easier to understand substandard goop in context.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:30:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »

"Substandard Goop" is spelled with a *P*.

Pubstandard goop. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »

UK Jive and Phobia are tragic, The Kinks really had lost it by the last couple of albums.
P.S. Soap Opera is a campy classic.
Tragic? No, I love those albums. How can any Kinks fan not love Looney Balloon, War is Over, Scattered, or Hatred?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »

People rip on Think Visual a lot but I LOVED that album.
It's not one of my favorites, but I love Working at the Factory, Lost and Found, and When You Were a Child.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »

There's even a pseudo rap song where old, famous Bee Gees song lyrics are referenced.
Smart Girls-style.

What is this song called?  I think I have to hear it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx