gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:41:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Fest Concert Event! March 30, 2015  (Read 23162 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »

Thanks to all posting video of this.  I was there last night.  For me the performances ranged from absolutely magical (The Punch Brothers) to feeling like I was listening to bad karaoke (too many to name).  Very hit or miss, but the ones that hit were incredible.  Ann Wilson singing "The Warmth of the Sun" is something to be heard.

I've seen a lot of shows at The Fonda and this was by far the worst sounding.  The FOH mixer was asleep at the wheel for most of the show.

Ann Wilson on "Warmth of the Sun" - really looking forward to that if it surfaces.  I guess if you have the guts and the talent to do "Good Vibrations," "Warmth of the Sun" would be within reach.  The lady is amazing, as was the Punch Bros. video.  Brian's a challenging catalog to perform, to say the least.

In recent years almost everything I've heard from Ann Wilson has been on the mark, especially with any number of covers and performances at these kinds of tribute shows, Ann's vocals are often among the standout performances. She brings the A-Game to the stage as a general rule, and I've recently gone back and revisited a lot of her classic hits and performances with Heart as a result - some great music there. I thought she may have chosen a more up-tempo number but Warmth Of The Sun seems like a terrific choice.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

"Be True to Your School" was a total blast. They did it with total commitment and full WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN, even Mike might have smiled. And appreciated the rich beard.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »

A real highlight. Loved the cries of appreciation and applause after he nailed "...domino"

Sounded ok from where I was standing, Al up high in the mix and killing it as always. A guy yelled "you've still got it, Al!"

How were the Flaming Lips as you experienced the show live? I don't get much from watching streaming video captures, but I'm curious. I have to be honest and up-front, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from seeing them on Letterman with Sean Lennon doing a tribute with "Lucy...", so I'm really curious how they made out with this tribute performance.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »

Well the theatrics were hard to beat, but a bit ragged and the instrumentation was stripped down bigtime. They really seemed into it, tho. The keyboard player was a bit meh and the organ part didn't sound right. Still had some nice  moments and the crowd enjoyed the giant balloon. It needed a lot more going on, cello going nuts would've helped enormously. Still, at least they didn't bring Miley. Maybe they should have tried "Hang on to Your Ego" instead.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:29:02 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »

I was there last night and glad I was because it was truly a special evening.  The songs were a nice mix of obscure and well known tunes.   It was really fun not knowing what song would come up next.  I admit not knowing how the evening was going to play out; I thought it'd be different bands coming up and doing their tunes but in reality it was just the house band being the core musicians while singers and other musicians came up to their spots.  The house band deserves all the kudos because they held it down all night; and as you can see these weren't easy songs.  Yet they pulled it off very well; very professional.   

The highs

Obviously The Punch Brothers.  Even as they walked off stage I heard a guy behind me say that their performance was probably the highlight of the night--and the night had practically just started.  Safe to say that they were probably right.  Surely if anyone was going to do "Surf's Up"---they had to have known they were going to nail it.  And these guys did.  You can see it in the video---it's a perfect performance.  Ann Wilson doing "Warmth Of The Sun" was very special even though it seemed generally lost on the crowd (more on that later).   A lot of what made performances great was if the artist took ownership of the song for that moment so performances by Joy Williams on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" Local Natives on "Let Him Run Wild", Doyle Bramhall II on "Feel Flows" (easily my highlight of the night) Norah Jones on "Little Bird" and "God Only Knows" were all wonderful.   Blondie on "Wild Honey" fan-fucking-tastic.  Would have been great to have him do "Sail On Sailor" (he remarked later to me that he felt the same way!) but Boz and Doyle did a very respectable version.  Boz gave the vocal a great trip--I could see Scott Bennett in the back digging it. 

Speaking of which, thank god Paul, Probyn, Scott, Darian and Brian were all there.  They were the glue for the whole night.  Those guys---you can't say enough about those guys.  They seemed very happy to be there and generally entertained by the different renditions and the performances.  I bet they were excited to sing on songs they normally don't get to sing with Brian like "Little Bird" or "Till I Die."  I could see Darian and Scott just ripping up when Adam Bush did the long spoken intro to "Be True To Your School."  He  must be a real fan because he got the whole Mike Love shtick down perfectly even the epic "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen" at the very beginning.  He acted the rest of the lines perfectly giving each line a different reading and only nerdy hardcore BB fans really got the comedy of it. 

Seeing Carnie and Wendy sing with their dad is always moving. 

Brian looked real good but you can't help but notice that our Brian is getting older Sad  I had just seen him about a year ago with Al but he looked slightly more gray this time around.  He eventually got very comfortable on stage.  Smiling and chit chatting with Blondie and Al.  The first song Brian did when he got out there was "Surfer Girl" and it was heart warming to see Al move over to sing right next to Brian.  I think Brian always feels comfortable when he's singing WITH someone rather than by himself.  He started to relax a bit after Al did that.  Blondie was having a hell of a time up there and yes he's always been a great percussionist---he did lots of it when he used to tour with the Stones. 

Norah Jones is Norah Jones.  She was probably the biggest star there (outside of Brian and Al of course) and the only one of the whole lot with the balls to stop "Little Bird" and admit she was off key and have them restart.  She nailed it.  Hearing Norah in person should be on everyone's music to-do list. 

The meh's

Really looked forward to M. Ward but he was one of the questionable performances of the night.  He had some mighty nice guitar work on "You're So Good To Me" but on this and on "Don't Talk..." it was clear that both songs would have benefited from a key change.  The songs were just too low for him to give any kind of power or resonance and although he pulled it off in his own way--I think both songs could have benefited more had he molded the song to fit his needs.  He was okay but I was hoping for a little bit more from him.

Devendra Benhart on "Meant For You" was a very nice surprise--as was "Vegetables" but again, the key was obviously an issue for the lead singer.  The singing was as loud as if they were singing in their own living room, no real projection, just soft, uncertain vocals.  It was an okay performance sort of saved by them all dressed up as vegetables.  The crowd ate it up--pun intended.  One of the singers threw out the carrots he was munching on for the chomping sound during the song.  Too bad you wouldn't have known they did the crunching carrot noises because their mic wasn't mixed properly to hear it.  Not sure if it were even possible to duplicate that loud CHOMPING sound on stage but it looked like zero attempt was made to even try.  Thanks sound guys!  Amusing performance but wish it wasn't such a visual gag--but what the heck you don't see that every day.

The lows

I have no idea if it was because I was a little closer to the stage (about 10-15 people deep) but the sound sucked balls.  Someone was mixing this show like it was some random band in town not knowing at all how a Brian Wilson show needed to be mixed.  The glorious vocals from the Scott/Darian and group were buried and the keyboard was lost in the mix.  Drums were up high and the bass was very muddy.  As much as I give props to the band for being great for most of the night; there were times where you sensed that they were JUST getting comfortable with these songs.  Obviously some of these songs are not your typical rock/pop songs so the obscure more complicated songs were approached more timidly.  That timid vibe trickled down to everyone in the band sometimes affecting the singer up front which is basically what happened on "Vegetables" and a few others.

And while this was a minor issue the biggest issue was that some of the guys really could have used a few tips from Brian's band to get that perfect SOUND for their instruments.  The bass was muddy and did not have that POP and clarity that is needed to push these songs.  The guitars were off here and there and were most noticeably off during the intro to "California Girls" almost making that epic intro unrecognizable.  These are small issues, yes, and obviously didn't ruin the night but I believe had they tightened this aspect of the music it would have given all the songs that extra punch that a few of these songs needed.  Had this been Stones Fest or Petty fest---it would have sounded just fine.  It would have matched that type of music but Brian Wilson music is a whole different beast.  So the band kind of dropped the ball on that but the mixing desk at the theater didn't help either.  Freaking frustrating. 

It was hard to gauge the crowd: were they there for Brian or to catch glimpses of their favorite indie artists?  The two girls behind me left right after Local Natives did their songs.  The crowd was a mix of a lot of late 20's, mid 30's with a lot of older folks as well but for the most part they were all a sleepy group.  You know that weird energy in a room when you're at a show and you're waiting for the headliner but you have to sit through the opener first?  It's not rowdy but generally polite and reserved.  That's how it felt for about 2 hours...only maybe picking up during the Flaming Lips balloon fiasco but definitely by the time Brian showed up.  The crowd didn't seem to be aware of the greatness happening in front of them.  It was just an odd kind of vibe.  Maybe it had to do with the venue--it was standing room only and while those kind of shows are fun, Brian Wilson's music requires attention and care.  People milling around, drinking and talking loudly during songs like "Surf's Up" was never going to do well.  I think a seated theater would have served the music better.  But yeah it was pretty frustrating to hear people yammering all around me during some of Brian's most beautiful music. 

So all in all it was a great night.  They were selling No Pier Pressure in the lobby---just the booklet which was signed by Brian; they would mail you the CD next week.  Very weird.  Anyway so I got one of those and flipping through the booklet was a great preview to the album--still haven't really heard any of the samples everyone here has been talking about!  One thing I noticed in the book was that the producer credit is Brian Wilson AND Joe Thomas.  Not sure if that's been mentioned before but I was surprised to find that Brian had shared credit with someone else---has that ever happened before?  Anyway, after the show, I managed to get Blondie and Al to sign the CD as well.  Mentioned to Al that I was hoping to hear "Looking At Tomorrow" tonight---I seem to always mention this to him hoping he might finally drop it into a set.  He said that he thought about having the band play it like how he used to do it with his old band but it needed more rehearsal.  Brian apparently likes that one.  Blondie was pleased to hear that "Wild Honey" sounded so great...he says it's looking to be the highlight of the shows this summer.   

I saw they had cameras filming the show---probably for the group's own archive but I'd love to have a memento from the show.  The issues detailed above are generally minor and still didn't take away from the night being a very special one.  I wish Brian fest was a yearly thing--I'd definitely go again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:00:28 AM by Justin » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »

Excellent post, Justin!  We can always count on good concert reviews from you!   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

Thanks Mikie! I usually have pics and videos to post as well but this time I chose to just sit (or stand!) and enjoy the show without fiddling around with a camera.  Glad I did!
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »

Great review, Justin.  I echo your thoughts (and I might have even been the guy behind you commenting after The Punch Brothers!).  I hope someone posts a video of Ann Wilson.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Haha we were probably standing near each other and didn't even know it!  Someone put up "Warmth of the Sun' earlier today.  Still sounds as good as it did last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HadU9Hdrlc
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »

From Billboard:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/6517044/norah-jones-flaming-lips-brian-wilson-festival?mobile_redirection=false

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »

http://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-fest-was-great-but-it-would-have-been-even-better-with-more-brian-wilson-5461569
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »

Had a super time at this. I met Ed Roach outside the venue in line before the show (Ed spotted my Denny Bash shirt) and had a nice convo with him, and also met and befriended another huge BB fan in line. I was lucky to get a very close GA spot near the stage, just a few people back from the stage.

Funny enough, several songs before the end of the night, the people in front of me left the venue (maybe 1 or 2 songs prior to Brian coming out onstage), so I got right up front for that. I too was trying to feel out whether or not the crowd was there as fans of Brian, or more as fans of the other artists. It was most definitely a mix of both. Not your typical BW/BB show crowd, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:13:01 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »

Do you think there were people there who didn't know the music? I watched the video of Surf's Up and some of the crowd were ready to applaud a couple of times before the song finished. Friends of the producers, perhaps?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »

Do you think there were people there who didn't know the music? I watched the video of Surf's Up and some of the crowd were ready to applaud a couple of times before the song finished. Friends of the producers, perhaps?

I'd bet on it.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

Had a super time at this. I met Ed Roach outside the venue in line before the show (Ed spotted my Denny Bash shirt) and had a nice convo with him, and also met and befriended another huge BB fan in line. I was lucky to get a very close GA spot near the stage, just a few people back from the stage.

Funny enough, several songs before the end of the night, the people in front of me left the venue (maybe 1 or 2 songs prior to Brian coming out onstage), so I got right up front for that. I too was trying to feel out whether or not the crowd was there as fans of Brian, or more as fans of the other artists. It was most definitely a mix of both. Not your typical BW/BB show crowd, that's for sure.

Typical LA audience in some respects in my experience, I fear - a mix of the people who love the music and people who always seem to think they're the headliners that evening and talk all the way through the show.  Then they leave early (thank heavens - then you can finally hear) because they have somewhere more important to go.  That's why I usually flew to NYC or London to see Brian, even though he always played LA and I lived there. The experience was just so much better in areas where the majority of the people in the audience love the artist performing.  Love my LA friends and LA itself, but as an audience, well, not so much.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »

My personal highlight of the night has finally been posted:  Doyle Bramhall II on "Feel Flows."  Check out the rest of the channel--he nearly has every performance now up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J581r4nB_8
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »

Pretty amazing and exhausting! Tributes to Dennis and Carl with Feel Flows & Little Bird, Meant for You, Vega-Tables, a killer Surf's Up. Lots of Pet Sounds. No NPP. Boz Scaggs with an excellent Sail On, Sailor... Blondie being amazing, Al in fine form... Ann Wilson on Warmth of the Sun. the BW section was Our Prayer as they brought out his keyboard and chair. Our dearly departed pal Kittykat will be pleased to know it provided proper back support! Then Surfer Girl, Fun Fun Fun, Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann with everybody piled on the stage for the last three. 30 odd songs? Damn, that Brian Wilson sure wrote a bunch of great songs huh? It was really great to see such a varied crowd bursting with cartoon hearts for the big guy, who cheerfully soaked it up as Carnie Wilson bowed to him.

There were ten thousand cameras so surely tons of coverage will appear soon and many many social media pics of the Flaming Lips' giant We Love You Brian balloon.

I need to learn to use chairs again. More tomorrow!

Girl 1: "There's a lot of people on stage."

Girl 2: "Yeah. There is."
Thanks fo the great coverage, ontor!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »

Typical LA audience in some respects in my experience, I fear - a mix of the people who love the music and people who always seem to think they're the headliners that evening and talk all the way through the show.  Then they leave early (thank heavens - then you can finally hear) because they have somewhere more important to go.  That's why I usually flew to NYC or London to see Brian, even though he always played LA and I lived there. The experience was just so much better in areas where the majority of the people in the audience love the artist performing.  Love my LA friends and LA itself, but as an audience, well, not so much.

I suppose I was transfixed more on the music (and the awesome gal I was chatting with for much of the night), and not really paying too much attention to the audience's attentiveness (or lack thereof). But yeah, LA audiences, in particular for events where there are lots of hipster popular-at-the-moment artists, do tend to reflect the negative LA stereotype of fakery. I was hoping Brian would have gotten a 10-minute standing ovation upon his appearance onstage, but that was not to be! But he was still absolutely applauded, and surely felt loved by the crowd. 
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »

Typical LA audience in some respects in my experience, I fear - a mix of the people who love the music and people who always seem to think they're the headliners that evening and talk all the way through the show.  Then they leave early (thank heavens - then you can finally hear) because they have somewhere more important to go.  That's why I usually flew to NYC or London to see Brian, even though he always played LA and I lived there. The experience was just so much better in areas where the majority of the people in the audience love the artist performing.  Love my LA friends and LA itself, but as an audience, well, not so much.

I suppose I was transfixed more on the music (and the awesome gal I was chatting with for much of the night), and not really paying too much attention to the audience's attentiveness (or lack thereof). But yeah, LA audiences, in particular for events where there are lots of hipster popular-at-the-moment artists, do tend to reflect the negative LA stereotype of fakery. I was hoping Brian would have gotten a 10-minute standing ovation upon his appearance onstage, but that was not to be! But he was still absolutely applauded, and surely felt loved by the crowd.  

I'm so glad Brian got lots of love from the crowd.  I guess I may have a stilted view of LA audiences since I was lucky/unlucky enough to have really good seats most of the time that also put me near the "cool people" who probably got comps from somebody, so weren't necessarily fans.  How are San Diego audiences?  I'm kind of hoping that the fans travel there and the hipsters can't be bothered, so I might enjoy a show near my beloved Baja.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:51:37 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2015, 04:50:23 PM »

Did you spend the evening with that girl that I met with you?  She was super cute!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »

Did you spend the evening with that girl that I met with you?  She was super cute!

Hi Ed - yes, I did indeed hang with her for the rest of the show - incredibly cool gal, and my mind is blown to have met someone with as much BB (and 60s music in general) knowledge as she has. Just shows the kind of awesome people one can randomly run into at a Brian Wilson show!  Was a pleasure meeting you as well.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »

Hi Ed - yes, I did indeed hang with her for the rest of the show - incredibly cool gal, and my mind is blown to have met someone with as much BB (and 60s music in general) knowledge as she has. Just shows the kind of awesome people one can randomly run into at a Brian Wilson show!  Was a pleasure meeting you as well.

The whole evening was rather mind-blowing...  I was so glad to see the whole professional video set-up, but almost more glad to see all of the i-phones going, because I knew I'd get to remember more than I could grasp that night on you tube the next day.  And I wasn't let down, and I've watched many of them several times now.

But damn it, I can't remember some of those stories that she shared with us; I drew a complete blank when trying to tell my wife about her.  But I do remember loving her knowledge of 'my music' - and that 60's dress she was wearing!  Yes indeed, quite a night!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »

Definitely sounds like someone I want to meet, I wish they all could be BrianFest girls!  Grin

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »

Due to the generosity of an LA friend who went to a recent No Pier Pressure signing at Capitol Records I got a vinyl sleeved signed by Brian.  Super cool and will look even better framed with all my other rock stuff.  But she also sent me the Brianfest poster (the very same one that is on the first post of this thread and it is signed by Brian too.  It is signed right in between the Fonda Theatre LA and March 30 2015.  If anyone who was at the show wants a pretty cool keepsake and has anything neat-o to trade in exchange shoot me a pm and we can chat.  I love the poster but I wasn't at the show and thought someone who was might enjoy it more, so I would prefer to trade it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »

The Brian Fest people have put together a mini documentary about this show from a few months ago.  The footage they captured is surprisingly good, I remember seeing the cameras there but didn't think the footage would be this great.  Would have been nice to get the whole show released but seeing the clips is cool too.  This is Part 1 of 2.  The other one isn't out yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85F3FRBQTbk
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx