gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:04:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New: "Cardamom Coffee"  (Read 2936 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »

If you're so inclined, have a listen to "Cardamom Coffee" at https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/cardamom-coffee

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:41:32 AM »

Cardamom is an under-appreciated spice, and I appreciate your bringing attention to it. Soon it will join the ranks of some all star spices, nutmeg & allspice.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »

I like that a lot.  Inspired by the Winter?  Heck (not the word I would have used if this place wasn't censored)... here's the line anyway:  Heck, this Winter is making a mess of us all!  Choosing to live in the northern states can be challenging.  Had to go out for a bottle of milk this evening.  About 20 degrees with a hard wind blowing snow in your face, wind chill is "who knows" - just really bad.  You want to say heck it, but ya got fresh baked cookies, and that needs milk.  First step, a slippery on ice step down the stairs and across the yard, then scrap off the windshield, dig snow away from the back tires so you can get the car rolling, as opposed to just spinning, get down the back road, still covered with ice cause the plows didn't do a very good job last night or this morning, there sure wasn't any sunlight to melt it away...  No, really, I love Winter.  I made it back safe.  It was rewarding, much the same as you must have felt getting another song under your belt and onto a tape.

Now, don't say I could have just had a cup of Cardamom Coffee with those cookies and saved myself the trouble.  I know you're thinking that.  For cookies I want milk.  Winter can't get in my way.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:56:52 PM by zatch » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:15 PM »

I've experienced more below zero days in the past month than in my whole life.  Usually we just have a couple.

I'm from the South.  Then I spent about twenty-three years living in "the weather never changes" California sun.  I've been in upstate New York since 1998.  But I have never lived through colder days than February 2015.  And maybe not this much snow in one season either.  It's snowing right now, been snowing all day.  Snowed yesterday.  I went out yesterday for the first time in a week.  The milk story was fact.  We stock-up groceries between storms.  There are mountains of snow, but not as bad as Boston.  But you do have to sneak out into the road to get a look past the mountains of snow on the corners to see if another car is coming.  The County plows can't do much more than keep up.  The main roads and thruways are kept fairly clear.  Then it starts snowing again... Tonight's forecast is for the snow to change into raining ice.  Lovely.  I'm staying in.

I forget.  You're in Eastern Canada, right?  With the lake effect.  Must be wild up there.  Letterman said the other night, "We're not expecting it to thaw out til Labor Day."  I would love to go up to Niagara Falls to see it frozen over.  Film just shows so much.

My earlier post was me trying to be funny (and I really did like the captain's new song).  Listened to it again just now.  I do like the snow.  That's why I moved here.  I'd never lived anywhere that you didn't have to drive to get in the snow.  It's just a challenge.

take care Zach, Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »

Thanks, feelsflow, for the nice compliments.

Actually in Minneapolis, it hasn't been that bad a winter. (Ducks to avoid snowballs the rest of the nation throws.) Less snow than usual, not as cold as usual. Last year, we kept getting cold and some snow into May, so it's not as if we usually have it good. But this year, not bad. It's just that we finally got cold beginning in the second week of February, and it has been persistent since then. So after a mild winter, to suddenly see the days lengthen but the cold deepen, that has been rough on the spirit.

As for what inspired the song, though? Mostly just the matter-of-fact first couple lines--I just didn't feel like going to work, so I didn't--and the "oh oh oh" thing that was in my head. The rest was just tossed together around it, typical luther slop.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:56:47 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »

Sounds like our winter last year. Brutal cold.

Re the bassline, thanks. I quite liked that part, too. The chords are F# ' F#7 ' / B ' D ' / A ' ' ' / E7 ' ' ' / F# ' ' ' / B7 ' ' ' / E7 ' ' ' / and I really liked that little ascending line, too.

Re the piano, it's real. The beauty of lazy and basic engineering: you get what you get. I have a console piano and just put a pair of mics over it, right and left. If it takes me more than about two minutes to set anything up, I just don't record. So it doesn't take me more than two minutes to set anything up, ever. As long as I'm just fucking around like this and demoing (and endless supply of) sh*t, it doesn't matter anyway. So it's basic setup and first not-abhorrent take everywhere.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:56:43 PM by zatch » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »

So you can say fucking here.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx