gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks takes a stand against band politics, stands up for Brian, Mike, Al  (Read 10920 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »

I was very happy to see this post on David's Facebook page this morning.
David Marks
31 mins ·
Band politics can bite me. It’s all about the music and I just want to play Beach Boys music on stage as often as I can because it’s what I love to do. I love Brian, Mike and Al and negative comments about any of my friends or bandmates will be deleted. Keep your negativity off my page, please.

I've always enjoyed whatever configuration of the Beach Boys that has come into town. The classic 90s lineup of Carl/Mike/Al/Bruce, Mike & Bruce's current Beach Boys band, Brian Wilson solo, Al Jardine & endless summer band, Beach Boys family & friends, Dave Marks and his All-star band, Al Jardine solo, Brian & Al, Mike/David/Bruce, and last but not least the C50 tour. I'll come watch them all! It is about the music, and great music it is! These guys won't tour forever. Let's enjoy what we have while we have it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:45:18 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »

Bruce stands sobbing in a corner. "At least I have a grammy" he states.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »

Dave's a great guitarist, and an even better person.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »

I wish he posted here in person and brought that sense of balance and common sense to this board. Carrie's a star for being his envoy!

That one little bit of positivity goes a hell of a way to making up for the train wreck this board feels like occasionally.

Go Dave!

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »

Any train wrecks aren't the board's fault. The membership chooses to post or not post as they please, whatever happens is in the hands of those posting and commenting. And the silent majority could sometimes speak up a little more loudly when things get out of hand or ridiculous, and not be so selective about who or what gets defended or called out as necessary.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »

David Marks
31 mins ·
Band politics can bite me. It’s all about the music and I just want to play Beach Boys music on stage as often as I can because it’s what I love to do. I love Brian, Mike and Al and negative comments about any of my friends or bandmates will be deleted. Keep your negativity off my page, please.

I've always enjoyed whatever configurationtion of the Beach Boys that has come into town. The classic 90s lineup of Carl/Mike/Al/Bruce, Mike & Bruce's current Beach Boys band, Brian Wilson solo, Al Jardine & endless summer band, Beach Boys family & friends, Dave Marks and his All-star band, Al Jardine solo, Brian & Al, Mike/David/Bruce, and last but not least the C50 tour. I'll come watch them all! It is about the music, and great music it is! These guys won't tour forever. Let's enjoy what we have while we have it!
Thanks, Eric for posting that.  Those of us who are not on Facebook, would not have seen this. 

David is a gifted musician.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

Yes, a man of such consummate integrity, who has wanted to play BB music all his life.  He knows the individual hearts of all the members so well.  Dave is to be heeded and respected. I love them all too, and in my occasional moments of frustration I keep wondering why they cannot work it out. My recent frustration is with Mike's interview (though at other times I thought he was unfairly excluded by BW's management), but there is no telling what the whole truth is.  I am less interested at this point in a total taxonomy of disintegration (who did or did not mention a second album, who did or did not follow up on doing it, whose book will explain what and condemn whom) than in hoping that all 5 will make music again on stage and in the studio. I am going to give up wondering and enjoy every BB moment, past present, and future.

Patience, wisdom, compassion, meditation.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »

David Marks
31 mins ·

It is about the music, and great music it is! These guys won't tour forever. Let's enjoy what we have while we have it!

I really LIKE David's stance.  And Your words are 100% true Eric.  Especially "Let's enjoy what we have while we have it!"  The clock is ticking so LOUDLY on that now it's starting to keep me awake at night.  I'm not going to waste ANY more chances.  The guys are exactly who they are.  The music is exactly what it is.

Bottom line...?

Who would I rather go see?   *N O B O D Y.*

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »

That's a great statement. Very cool.

But I do think it's interesting that he says he loves Brian, Mike and Al and calls them his friends, while there's no mention of Bruce.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »

That's a great statement. Very cool.

But I do think it's interesting that he says he loves Brian, Mike and Al and calls them his friends, while there's no mention of Bruce.

Probably nobody insulted Bruce. He's sharing a stage with Bruce in a couple of months in England.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »

I wasn't aware that Dave was coming to the UK until unread it here today. What a bonus! I'm happy happy happy… Sierra gets to see another genuine authentic 100% thoroughbred Beach Boy!

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »

David Marks
31 mins ·

I've always enjoyed whatever configurationtion of the Beach Boys that has come into town. The classic 90s lineup of Carl/Mike/Al/Bruce, Mike & Bruce's current Beach Boys band, Brian Wilson solo, Al Jardine & endless summer band, Beach Boys family & friends, Dave Marks and his All-star band, Al Jardine solo, Brian & Al, Mike/David/Bruce, and last but not least the C50 tour. I'll come watch them all! It is about the music, and great music it is! These guys won't tour forever. Let's enjoy what we have while we have it!
Thanks, Eric for posting that.  Those of us who are not on Facebook, would not have seen this. 

Unless you read this other thread where Nicko1234 posted it first:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19952.25.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »

Good going, David Marks. That's exactly the sort of thing I would expect of all true hardcore Beach Boys fans as well.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »

I go see them all as often as I can.   And I ALWAYS enjoy the show.   always have.   My only complaint through the past several years is that Al could have been in the Beachboys without missing a show since the death of Carl.  Glad he has become a somewhat regular player in the organization again.    man has the voice and everybody knows it.   His exclusion has short changed the band and the fans, and the man.    Otherwise things are cool .
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:26 PM »

I love Dave's attitude! All the negativity can bite me too.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »

The post from David was prompted by something specific that was deleted from his Facebook page this morning, along with several other unnecessarily nasty comments that didn’t involve Bruce…it wasn’t a random  “name the Beach Boys you love” post where Bruce was purposely excluded. David is very much looking forward to playing with Mike AND Bruce, for the record.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I hope many people here take heed of his words.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:37 AM »

David Marks definitely seems to be one of the more levelheaded and talented people from the "core" Beach Boys group. It's a shame he doesn't speak up more often, it seems like there would be a lot less dramas and crap-talking if he was one of the people in charge....

David Marks for president, 2016.  Now there's a bumper sticker that would confuse most people.... I'd still buy one though....

No mas, por favor.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:46 AM »

David is very much looking forward to playing with Mike AND Bruce, for the record.
I, speaking only for my l'il self, am very much looking forward to anything David does with Bruce, Mike, Al, Brian!

Please come see us down in Melbourne anytime, Carrie and David! - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »

David Marks RULES. With his level-headedness, one wonders what that much-needed trait would have brought to the band over the years had he never quit in '63.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »

David Marks RULES. With his level-headedness, one wonders what that much-needed trait would have brought to the band over the years had he never quit in '63.

Would he be such a great guy today had he stayed? No sarcasm.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »

Probably not.

People Magazine, 1993:

"He is also learning to block out his remorse. He hasn't seen any of the Wilsons in years and is friendly only with Love."

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »

The real news in all of this is: 

Somebody said something negative about Al?  What?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »

This is a powerful and spiritually positive thread; let's keep it in that spirit. The BB need some good California feelings of support. I think in their hearts they all want to play together and record. They are looking for ways to make this happen, and I for one will enjoy every day the hope of that but will cherish also every moment they are together in any configuration that pleases and fulfills them--Dave playing on stage with M and B, Dave on B's record with Al. All gold.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »

Yes, a man of such consummate integrity, who has wanted to play BB music all his life.  He knows the individual hearts of all the members so well.  Dave is to be heeded and respected. I love them all too, and in my occasional moments of frustration I keep wondering why they cannot work it out. My recent frustration is with Mike's interview (though at other times I thought he was unfairly excluded by BW's management), but there is no telling what the whole truth is.  I am less interested at this point in a total taxonomy of disintegration (who did or did not mention a second album, who did or did not follow up on doing it, whose book will explain what and condemn whom) than in hoping that all 5 will make music again on stage and in the studio. I am going to give up wondering and enjoy every BB moment, past present, and future.

Patience, wisdom, compassion, meditation.

I agree that Dave does seem to be a man of great integrity, who really does care about all involved (despite the fact that Bruce has apparently been a bit of a two-faced dick to him). However, to say he has wanted to play Beach Boys music all his life is quiiiiite a stretch, seeing as though from his later teens through probably....what, his fifties, he wanted nothing to do with the groups besides picking up royalty checks, as mentioned in his book. So while I think he is an awesome guy who understands what an honor it is to be a Beach Boys and to be included in C50, he wasn't exactly dreaming of returning to the band since 1963.

Well, let's also be honest. Dude was pretty drugged and boozed out himself for a number of years, besides being pretty far away from The Beach Boys orbit. And I have the feeling that if he stuck around and got to spend more time with his buddy Dennis, things might have been pretty interesting.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx