gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:42:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys And Dynaquad  (Read 1506 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »

I picked up an early 1970s Sherwood amp/receiver at the swap meet the other day.  It needed some cosmetic repair, but for $10 I figured I could fix it up and put it in my record store for sale.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed a selection on the receiver labeled "Dynaquad".  I figured it was just some oddball format of quadraphonic that never made it.  I looked up some information about it on wikipedia, and was shocked at what I saw.  According to the article, there were only a few albums ever made in this format, including Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions, 15 Big Ones, Love You, and the album by The Flame.

So of course I now have this thing hooked up in my listening room!  I can't detect much as far as four-channel separation is concerned, but I can't deny the thing sounds amazing, whatever is going on. 

I was just wondering if the information in the wikipedia article is correct regarding all these BB titles being recorded in quad.  The only BB albums that seem to outwardly mention quadraphonic in their packaging are Surf's Up and Carl and the Passions.  I seem to recall recall Steve Desper saying that he prepared a quad mix for Sunflower, but the stereo mix was ultimately chosen.   
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »

The wikipedia article cites a post on Brian's message board for that info, and if you scroll down, AGD corrects that information a little.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »

The wikipedia article cites a post on Brian's message board for that info, and if you scroll down, AGD corrects that information a little.

Err... quite a lot, actually.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:34 PM »

Thanks for the info.  It seems the Beach Boys were ahead of their time when it came to this technology.  I heard "Cool Cool Water" in quad tonight... what an experience. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 01:06:39 AM »

Try putting the Chuck Britz stereo "mixes" through it.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx