gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680605 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:50:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Elvis Today" - Legacy Release  (Read 6393 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

Seen on the FECC-messageboard, it looks like "Elvis - The man and the music" reported that a Legacy-edition of "Today", Elvis' 1975 album during which sessions Brian Wilson stormed into the studio to play Elvis some tracks, will be released:

"The next RCA/Legacy release will be 'Elvis Today', featuring the original 1975 album plus undubbed session mixes of its ten tracks. It'll be paired with the 'composite' concert pieced together from recordings made on tour in May and June 1975 and first issued as part of the Elvis Aron Presley 8xLP box-set".

The album features some standout tracks like Presley's version of "Green, green grass of home" and Don McClean's "And I love you so".

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:58:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »

I will enjoy this one.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »

I tend to think this is one of his weakest efforts. Pretty drab and boy do I love Elvis. Several notches down from Promised Land.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »

I actually just listened to the album this morning while cleaning house. I agree that it is one of E's weaker albums, but it's enjoyable, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:50:08 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

I'm a big fan of the "Promised Land"-album, Outtasight!

It's certainly not his best. It has some very cool moments though. T.R.O.U.B.L.E. was originally written with Jerry Lee Lewis in mind but he never recorded it. It is the only recording on this album that has Duke Bardwell on bass, though he played all the sessions. Elvis didn't like his playing and had Bardwell's parts overdubbed. The single was released before another bass part could be recorded though. Jerry Scheff re-joined in '75.
The lead single was played regularly by Presley in his shows. "And I love you so" also became a regular feature as well as "Fairytale". Unfortunately he settled on a key too high for the studio recording.

1975 started very promising after Elvis was in hospital for a detox. He played some very strong shows with diverse setlists. One of my favorite shows is available on bootleg as "Back with a bang", recorded in March '75. His weight had gained so he had to wear two-piece outfits like this one:

When he had slimmed down he took again to his famous jumpsuites. This is a very well known shot of him in Memphis in 1975. It became the front cover for his next to last studio album:

All in all, many of the '75 shows were really rocking with cool versions of "Burning love" and "Mystery train/Tiger man". The show we'll get here was released in 1980. It's taken from these shows:

May 6, 1975 Murfreesboro, TN.
June 5, 1975 Houston, TX.
June 9, 1975 Jackson, MS.
June 10, 1975, Memphis, TN.

Thanks to elvisinconcert.com

It's been re-packaged for bootleg releases. You can listen to it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fCOzGqi5Ro

But the decline couldn't be stopped. Come '76 and it was completely over.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:33:57 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

Elvis decline is very depressing. I agree that his live shows held up through 1975 but by '76 it was very obvious that something was seriously wrong. The reissues over the last 15 years have however made his 70's output make a lot more sense. The Burning Love album is a case in point. It shows he was still on top form, something not obvious from the original releases during the period.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

This album has Pieces of My Life, a fairly morbid, reflective ballad, beautifully sung by Elvis. If you're in the right mood, it is very powerful and the lyrics just describe Elvis' life up to that point so well, you can tell that's why he's really into the song. It's almost the pieces of Elvis' life -

Pieces Of My Life

A water glass full of whiskey
And women that I never knew too well
Lord, the things I've seen and done
Most of which I'd be ashamed to tell

I don't know how it started
But that's what makes a man a man, I guess
Now I'm holdin' on to nothing'
Tryin' to forget the rest

I'm lookin' back on my life
To see if I can find the pieces
I know that some were stolen
And some just blew away
Well, I found the bad parts
Found all the sad parts
But I guess I threw the best part away

Lord, the pieces of my life,
They're everywhere, they're everywhere
And the one I think I miss most of all
Is you and you know who
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:10 PM »

Yes!  Pieces Of My Life is fantastic.  I love Elvis Today.  And the it closes with the best version of Green Green Grass Of Home.  I'll be interested to see what they do with the second disc. 

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »

This album has Pieces of My Life, a fairly morbid, reflective ballad, beautifully sung by Elvis. If you're in the right mood, it is very powerful and the lyrics just describe Elvis' life up to that point so well, you can tell that's why he's really into the song. It's almost the pieces of Elvis' life -

Pieces Of My Life

A water glass full of whiskey
And women that I never knew too well
Lord, the things I've seen and done
Most of which I'd be ashamed to tell

I don't know how it started
But that's what makes a man a man, I guess
Now I'm holdin' on to nothing'
Tryin' to forget the rest

I'm lookin' back on my life
To see if I can find the pieces
I know that some were stolen
And some just blew away
Well, I found the bad parts
Found all the sad parts
But I guess I threw the best part away

Lord, the pieces of my life,
They're everywhere, they're everywhere
And the one I think I miss most of all
Is you and you know who

Damn.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »

It was after "Pieces of my life"'s session ended that Brian Wilson stormed into the studio and had Elvis listening to some of his recent recordings.

Here's Charlie Rich's original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBQOu_R0zk

- Jack Rieley
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

It was after "Pieces of my life"'s session ended that Brian Wilson stormed into the studio and had Elvis listening to some of his recent recordings.

This gives me weird visions of Elvis in a deep, melancholy reverie, looking back over his somewhat mispent life at the end of the session for 'Pieces of My Life', only to be interrupted by a hyped-up Brian Wilson storming into the studio going, 'Hey, Elvis, wanna hear the awesome bass sounds I've found on my new farty synthesiser?   LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »

This gives me weird visions of Elvis in a deep, melancholy reverie, looking back over his somewhat mispent life at the end of the session for 'Pieces of My Life', only to be interrupted by a hyped-up Brian Wilson storming into the studio going, 'Hey, Elvis, wanna hear the awesome bass sounds I've found on my new farty synthesiser?   LOL

Grin Playing him "Ding dang" ? Cheesy

It was during the California Music sessions and we also have a picture of Brian from around that time.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:54 PM »

It always amazes me to read of Brian making music in 1975, because the officially told story is always "I spent 3 years in bed", he didn't want to make music, just wanted to take dope and sleep.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx