gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:39:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 106722 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »

Agreed, its crazy how Mike lets such bile out and then expects a hollow statement of future reunion plans to make up for it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 02, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »

I'm personally amazed that Michael calling Brian a sweet and gentle soul and that when Brian's ready, he's ready, isn't the main takeaway from this interview .... Mike loves his cousin and has shut no doors preventing any future collaborations .....

It's a standard practice for anyone in the media - especially someone with as much experience with it as Mike has - to end a long screed against someone on a compliment in the hope that your points are made and you still come off looking like a good guy. More often than not it works, however the 'points' on this occasion were so unnecessary to the line of questioning that it didn't.

I'm sorry, but anyone taking Mike's comments in question as a long screed against Brian simply WANTS to see it that way.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »

Agreed, its crazy how Mike lets such bile out and then expects a hollow statement of future reunion plans to make up for it.

Why do you guys even bother discussing subjects where there can be no happy ending for you? Aren't there dungeons where you can work as subs of the most violent order? ... In another life you'd all be suicide bombers.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »

If it was such an inoffensive, accurate, and polite statement/answer from Mike, it makes one ponder why the hell it would be taken down. Surely the "misguided" complaints from some fans wouldn't warrant a complete irradication of the article in question from the site that published it...especially if the article in question was entirely sound.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »

If it was such an inoffensive, accurate, and polite statement/answer from Mike, it makes one ponder why the hell it would be taken down. Surely the "misguided" complaints from some fans wouldn't warrant a complete irradication of the article in question from the site that published it...especially if the article in question was entirely sound.

Hey, whatever suits your personal narrative!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »

I'm personally amazed that Michael calling Brian a sweet and gentle soul and that when Brian's ready, he's ready, isn't the main takeaway from this interview .... Mike loves his cousin and has shut no doors preventing any future collaborations .....

It's a standard practice for anyone in the media - especially someone with as much experience with it as Mike has - to end a long screed against someone on a compliment in the hope that your points are made and you still come off looking like a good guy. More often than not it works, however the 'points' on this occasion were so unnecessary to the line of questioning that it didn't.

I'm sorry, but anyone taking Mike's comments in question as a long screed against Brian simply WANTS to see it that way.

I never said I saw it as a long screed against Brian. As usual it appears to be aimed at his 'handlers' (a condescending term I hate, but that seems to be how Mike sees it) and on this occasion Joe Thomas and whoever wrote the press release. It's basically flailing around at invisible accusers for things that no one had brought up, at least not publicly. If these accusations are going on privately between parties then privately would be the classy way to deal with them. If Mike simply wanted to clear the air about the 50th lineup disintegrating, that's fair enough, but there's no need to tie that to the NPP press release.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »

I dunno. Are you or I in the Beach Boys? No .... Let the guy have his damn educated opinion.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »

I dunno. Are you or I in the Beach Boys? No .... Let the guy have his damn educated opinion.

He's had it. No one stopped him having it. Who was trying to censor Mike? Not me. I simply came to a fan forum to give my opinion on his as a fan. Seems fair to me.

Although tellingly, either David Beard or Mike has apparently chosen not to stand by said opinion given that the article has been removed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:59:38 PM by elnombre » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »

He's had it. No one stopped him having it. Who was trying to censor Mike? Not me. I simply came to a fan forum to give my opinion on his as a fan. Seems fair to me.

Although tellingly, either David Beard or Mike has apparently chosen not to stand by said opinion given that the article has been removed.

What's also a hilarious thing to ponder is, how much am I willing to bet, if Mike were to actually "attack" Brian in such an interview, you guys would all be crying "But why can't Mike just attack Brian's handlers? It's them!!! Not Brian"

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »

There are no handlers, they are just Mike's boogeymen for why BW wants nothing to do with him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 02, 2015, 05:11:37 PM »

What's also a hilarious thing to ponder is, how much am I willing to bet, if Mike were to actually "attack" Brian in such an interview, you guys would all be crying "But why can't Mike just attack Brian's handlers? It's them!!! Not Brian"

LOL LOL

Between this and your suicide bomber comment I can't even try to take you seriously.

Anyways, back to reality...Perhaps someone who actually knows what happened regarding the article's disappearance could comment on this matter...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »

LOL LOL

Between this and your suicide bomber comment I can't even try to take you seriously.

Anyways, back to reality...Perhaps someone who actually knows what happened regarding the article's disappearance could comment on this matter...

You not taking me seriously? Quite a compliment considering this lot.

However, yes, I agree completely in perhaps allowing some insider info regarding the interview's yanking might be a good thing to wait for ... I'm sure Woodward and Bernstein are on it!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »

Keep going Pinder, someday you will convince somebody.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »

Keep going Pinder, someday you will convince somebody.

You've already used that line on me, SB Wink

I'm saving up for 2 tickets to Club Kokomo for you and OSD! Platinum package!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »

That would be a coup, Pinder. I'd also love to see you collaborate with Mike Love and learn the true meaning of Kokomo up close. He needs to compete with BW, so pretend you're a sh*t-hot up and coming so and so and are "like this" with Bruno Mars. Tell him you used to romp with Lana Del Rey. Get in a room with him and report back if he thinks your arrangements are commercial enough.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:37:10 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »

Quit strawmanning, it's lame. Mike has said plenty of nasty stuff about Brian and his work in the past. Fortunately these days he seems more accepting and understanding up to a point. What's your point? I'm talking about things that have actually happened and been said, why are you throwing up hypotheticals. Is that the only argument you can come up with? A fictional one?

You are completely talking out of your rear, to be quite frank. I love Brian and Mike for all they've given us. If Mike called Brian an asshole, I'd think Mike was being an asshole. Same goes the other way. I'd argue perhaps Brian has more reason to say that, but I'd still be immensely disappointed by him doing so.

And the diehard Brian fan, anti-Mike contingent on this website, I suspect would also say 'Mike is being an asshole to Brian'. It's his talent and his feelings they care about most. I've never seen any of them attribute Brian's flaws to his management or his wife.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:43:16 PM by elnombre » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 02, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

That would be a coup, Pinder. I'd also love to see you collaborate with Mike Love and learn the true meaning of Kokomo up close. He needs to compete with BW, so pretend you're a sh*t-hot up and coming so and so and are "like this" with Bruno Mars. Tell him you used to romp with Lana Del Rey. Get in a room with him and report back if he thinks your arrangements are commercial enough.

I'm all for that! And if this occurs on one of the two evenings a year where Bruce is allowed a Pacifico: who knows where the night may lead!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 02, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »

Quit strawmanning, it's lame. Mike has said plenty of nasty stuff about Brian and his work in the past. Fortunately these days he seems more accepting and understanding up to a point. What's your point? I'm talking about things that have actually happened and been said, why are you throwing up hypotheticals. Is that the only argument you can come up with? A fictional one?

You are completely talking out of your rear, to be quite frank. I love Brian and Mike for all they've given us. If Mike called Brian an asshole, I'd think Mike was being an asshole. Same goes the other way. I'd argue perhaps Brian has more reason to say that, but I'd still be immensely disappointed by him doing so.

My god you guys are so friendly and accepting of dissenting points of view .... And you wonder why folks with my tone pop up every now and then?

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 02, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »

My god you guys are so friendly and accepting of dissenting points of view .... And you wonder why folks with my tone pop up every now and then?

No, what I wonder is why you seem incapable or unwilling to address any of the points made.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 02, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »

Re: The article getting pulled.

If the interviewer in that Mike interview saw what the answer was to the supposedly innocuous (HEAVILY loaded) question regarding his opinion on his bandmates' (whom there is nothing but badmouthing and bad blood) new single -- he could've turned it, explored it, gone deeper, if for no other reason than to adhere to party line that ESQ is unbiased. Which, frankly, it is not. (The simple fact that Ian and Jon's book -- the most important tome of the past 15 years in BB-dom -- went all but unexplored while the Bamboo band got heavy coverage in ESQ as if it was an actual professional Beach Boys offshoot group proves that. ESQ was involved in one of those projects and not in the other.)

Okay Howie… I am answering these charges as ESQEditor because that's where you're carelessly swinging your high and mighty axe.
1)  You don't know what is happening with the article, do you?

2)  What are your sources that indicate that there isn't something happening right now that explores the topic deeper?  Content that appears on Beach Boys Examiner is often exclusive of ESQ, so the two are not a self-contained entity.  They share one commonality… me.    

3)  You're wrong, ESQ — the magazine — is unbiased.  Unless you have read every edition of ESQ since 1993, then how could you comment on such a topic?  To make it easy for you, go to http://esquarterly.com/buy-ESQ.html and look at the contents.  Have there been more interviews recently with Mike (in 2014)?  Yes.  About the Beach Boys albums, and concert memories.  As you know, I also interviewed Al.  Brian's unavailability is why he did not appear, and the door is ALWAYS open to David.  Plain and simple.  Making anything more of it than that is simply untrue.  Don't believe me?  Ask them.  And I know you can.

4)   Jon and Ian's book is astounding, and I'm currently working with Ian to continue the discussion in ESQ since more information has come to light since the book was published.  I felt my four-star two-page spread review (Spring 2014 issue of ESQ) was ample space upon its release.  You could have very easily submitted an extended review of the book to run in ESQ.  That would have been fascinating.  The door remains open.  

5)   You really have a splinter up your ass about The Bamboo Trading Company.  I am sorry you didn't enjoy it.  I take that very seriously.  But please don't make a broad stroked comment about ESQ, because it is not fair to Lee Dempsey.  So it's, David Beard, not ESQ, that was extremely proud of his little pet project with a group of really gifted artists.  Unless, of course, you're saying that Gary Griffin, Randell Kirsch, Philip Bardowell, Matt Jardine, Probyn Gregory, Dean Torrence and David Marks are unfit for coverage, because that is who appears on the album.  There were two other members — Miami Dan Yoe and Chris English — who also had a chance to fulfill a lifelong wish of working with top drawer musicians.  But I get it, it isn't for you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:18:13 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 02, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »

David, can you offer some insight into why the article was pulled? Or is it coming back with revisions?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 02, 2015, 05:47:58 PM »

No, what I wonder is why you seem incapable or unwilling to address any of the points made.

Maybe because I'm addressing the big picture ... A concept which seems to have increasingly little place amongst the religious cultists around here.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 02, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »

Maybe because I'm addressing the big picture ... A concept which seems to have increasingly little place amongst the religious cultists around here.

In what way as a fan of both Brian and Mike am I 'religious cultist' based on my posts? And in what way are you addressing the big picture? I'm all ears.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »

In what way as a fan of both Brian and Mike am I 'religious cultist' based on my posts? And in what way are you addressing the big picture? I'm all ears.

No, you're not all ears. I've done all you pretend to be asking of me yet will never dare acknowledge when I do ... An ages old tactic on this board.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »

No, you're not all ears. I've done all you pretend to be asking of me yet will never dare acknowledge when I do ... An ages old tactic on this board.

Then point me to the posts where you addressed a single one of the points I made. I'll be more than happy to read them.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx