gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:00:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 105893 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »

Actually yeah...those of us who follow a Kosher diet, for one (although I'm not one of them anymore). Just one example.

Hey Billy; Don't know if you get your meat at a Kosher Butcher, but ours has had BEEF Bacon for seemingly forever( Longer than we've shopped there) 

Ya know, I haven't had it since I was about 6, around the time my parents split.  It's not easy to come by where I live. I'd have to go clear on the other side of town, but might well be worth for the memories at least!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »

What kind got overlooked is the idea that no one in the band put a stop to extended/post C50 touring or album.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

What kind got overlooked is the idea that no one in the band put a stop to extended/post C50 touring or album.

What do you mean Cam?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2015, 07:09:07 PM »

I mean, if I understand Mike's version, for all of the talk no offers were put on paper and brought to the band/BRI for discussion.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: February 28, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »

Fig. 224. "Set End Date"
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2015, 03:59:47 AM »

I get that you are implying that I am not a BBs fan because I don't like Mike Love. Well it's really about the music when I listen to 1960s stuff with love. He was pretty good when he was a actual band member, not the dictator of the group's music and image against BW's wishes.
That's quite a sweet, and defensible position.  It shows a passionate view of the BB legacy, as one may see it today.

Please keep bringing that to the table, rather than knee jerk reactions and, sadly, predicatable accusations of an unfounded Mike conspiracy to undermine anything resembling reconciliation.

Accusing AGD as an employed emissary of Mike and other dismissive responses is kind of dull - you know better; I think your're smarter than that.

The recent '60s reissues by AP are just great - come an talk with us (4 at the last count) about it.  Your opinion is appreciated - A   

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:02 AM »

What a relief.  People seem to be getting back on topic.  I AM glad the thread wasn't shut down, in that an informed discussion of the questionable assertions in that "interview"/rant was valid.  And humans will get emotional.  The good news is, the upset WILL have died down by the time NPP is released and people will be seeing L&M at SXSW in a few weeks.  I suspect - okay, naturally assume - that more distractions will be launched at those times, but a lot of us will be too wrapped up in enjoying the film or the music to notice, hopefully.  And all I needed was an hour of Chris Rainbow followed by an hour of "Smile" on Mike Grant's show yesterday to make all the other nonsense irrelevant.  "Dear Brian" is still healing us with his music, and he's inspired so many others, like Chris, to do the same.   
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »

Problem with Mike Love seems to be, he's a poor leader. He's not a team player.

But neither is Brian. Brian would always put his own artistic vision above the feelings of his bandmates. I read of an incident during the TWGMTR album sessions where Al supposed to Brian working on "Waves Of Love", and Brian supposedly just stood up and left the studio without saying a word. If that really happened that way, I say that's an appalling thing to do. They are all flawed human beings like all of us, not just Mike.

We can't even be honest about Brian here without being accused of being "anti-Brian Wilson" and if we get the least bit sensitive about insults toward Mike, we're greeted with only more insults,

I already wonder what I will get as punishment for criticising Brian.

Oh, and for the bacon debate: Wasn't the question whether or not everybody likes bacon rather than who isn't allowed to eat bacon due to some nonsensical religious commandment? While I eat pork, I don't really like bacon...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »

Just tried to re-read the article, but it was gone for the time being. Anybody saved it?

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »

The entire article can be read here:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.examiner.com/article/mike-love-states-his-case
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:06:28 PM by All About That Bass » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2015, 11:32:33 PM »

Thank you! Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »

Just tried to re-read the article, but it was gone for the time being. Anybody saved it?

That seems odd, in that every other article by Dave beard seems to still be available: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/david-beard

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »

It did make Mike Love look absolutely horrendous. Especially with the contradicting quotes posted underneath. Not surprising it evaporated!

Great Moments in Damage Control, Volume 23.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:29:33 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »

I think it is unfortunate the article was pulled. A lot of people showed a lot of interest in it and pulling it makes it harder to read it. Maybe David will shed some light on what happened later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:57:10 AM by All About That Bass » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »

Fig. 224. "Set End Date"

This might just be my favorite Club Kokomo meet-n-greet pic.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »

Re: The article getting pulled.

Lame.

The 101 in being a journalist is putting your money where your mouth is.
If you're feeling the heat as a writer -- take solace in the fact that your work has balls.
If you're getting pressure from an interview subject after the fact, too bad -- it's on the record.

Along with that territory is good intent.

If the interviewer in that Mike interview saw what the answer was to the supposedly innocuous (HEAVILY loaded) question regarding his opinion on his bandmates' (whom there is nothing but badmouthing and bad blood) new single -- he could've turned it, explored it, gone deeper, if for no other reason than to adhere to party line that ESQ is unbiased. Which, frankly, it is not. (The simple fact that Ian and Jon's book -- the most important tome of the past 15 years in BB-dom -- went all but unexplored while the Bamboo band got heavy coverage in ESQ as if it was an actual professional Beach Boys offshoot group proves that. ESQ was involved in one of those projects and not in the other.)

This proves it, too.
What is the intent of being around musicians and asking them questions; to get the answers -- or be the guy that asks them?
Not for me to say. I know why I do my thing -- but good or bad, you can't erase it. No do overs.

One wonders how the fanzine (and its "staff") covers Mike's book as opposed to Brian's.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:19:09 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »

Here, saved for posterity:

A lot of great press has been stimulated around the release of Brian Wilson's upcoming No Pier Pressure album. But there has also been a lot of uninformed hypothesis being thrown by the public, due in part to the press release that accompanied the announcement, stating, "Wilson initially envisioned the sessions for his new album with The Beach Boys in mind, but that was not to be." This has led media outlets and many fans to suppose that a 30th Beach Boys album did not happen because of actions taken (or not taken) by Mike Love.

While there is no real substantiation to the accusations, the dialogue continues.

To clear up any misunderstandings, and to give Love an opportunity to tell us his side of the story, I asked him one question: ""Have you heard Brian's new song, 'The Right Time'?" It seemed, the best way to get the conversation rolling, would be to have Love comment on the new recording, which features three of his former colleagues.

In his email reply, Mike had this to say, "I haven't heard the song yet, I am sure with Al's voice and hopefully no autotune, the song will be great.

"However, I have read the press release, what surprises me the most is that the journalists or Brian's PR representative would allow for such a press release. How was this to be another Beach Boys album? There was never any discussions within the group either during, at the end or after the scheduled and agreed upon ending of the reunion tour. There was not a provision within the Capitol agreement to produce another album, nor did Brian ever mention his desire to do so to me. It's hard to understand how Joe and Brian were working on a new album considering Joe's fear of flying, Joe was rarely on the tour...he only attended if the venue was within driving distance from his home in Chicago. Now don't get me wrong, Joe flew occasionally...to Los Angeles to work on the album TWGMTR, and also as I understand it, I could be wrong, but the suites, per Joe, for TWGMTR and NPP is the result of their collaborations from many years ago. Also, when you're on tour together, you live everyday in each other's company except for days off which were few during 2012......I can't imagine Brian not mentioning to me or anyone else for that matter that he wanted to do another album.

"Honestly, the first I heard of this was at The Grammy museum in September 2012 when Brian announced his prediction of a new Beach Boys album, but there was no follow up. Besides, initially, Brian wanted to do a rock album and covers of our favorite songs which I was stoked about! Also as for more offers…I was presented with very nebulous offers, in other words, offers without documentation (i.e none). I asked for the offers to be presented in writing from the offering party, but never received a formal offer. It sounded odd to me that Wrigley Field wanted a show in October. Madison Square Garden for New Year's Eve was a stretch considering Phish was already booked.

"Listen, I wish my cousin in all of his professional endeavors the best...however, I had nothing to do with his album or the circumstances of his album. I have known my cousin since childhood, besides being musically gifted, my Cousin is a kind, and gentle spirit without a bitter bone in his body. The tone of this press release seems bitter of which is not consistent with the Brian Wilson vibe…so I know this did not come from Brian. When Brian is ready...I'm ready!

"I will elaborate more on the 50th anniversary and it's end in my book."

Love's book, tentatively titled "GOOD VIBRATIONS: My Life as a Beach Boy," is planned for the Summer of 2016.

©2015 David Beard / All rights reserved
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:41:00 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »

We know Mike reads this site before his dinner, he probably saw this thread.

Not shocked the article got pulled.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »

After reading that article for the first time today, I have to say that I'm most appalled by the excessive comma splices.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »

I'm personally amazed that Michael calling Brian a sweet and gentle soul and that when Brian's ready, he's ready, isn't the main takeaway from this interview .... Mike loves his cousin and has shut no doors preventing any future collaborations .....

Can't this be good enough?

Mike is Mike just like we're all ourselves, warts n all... Why not be happy with the good parts?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »

Pinder, whether one agrees with it or not, it's the standard Mike line -- "I love Brian -- it's his owners that I hate."
It's a thread throughout the history of this band (loves Brian - hates Murry, loves Brian - hates drugs, loves Brian - hates Landy. . . etc. . . )

This time his perceived "downside" to Brian derailed the whole thing for him.
Wanna believe that the thing he supposedly loves trumps the thing he hates -- be my guest.
I don't doubt that Mike has love for Brian -- the fact is that that love is nowhere near enough to be partners with Melinda Wilson.

And that album WOULD'VE been a Beach Boys LP, too.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:11:18 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »

"When Brian's ready... I'm ready!"

Mike has said these words before, at the end of the C50. It's an empty statement. meaningless.

Brian was ready to continue touring as a Beach Boy. Brian was ready to record another album with the Beach Boys. Brian was writing new songs and completing old songs specifically for the Beach Boys. Brian was ready to finish out his career as a Beach Boy, the way he began. Brian was ready and willing. It's Mike who opted out. His words mean nothing.

I'd love to know who pulled the article. Maybe Mike was fasting when he wrote that email, and thought better of it after he got a little nourishment? Interesting and fascinating.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »

Howie and bossaroo are dead on! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »

"When Brian's ready... I'm ready!"

Mike has said these words before, at the end of the C50. It's an empty statement. meaningless.

Brian was ready to continue touring as a Beach Boy. Brian was ready to record another album with the Beach Boys. Brian was writing new songs and completing old songs specifically for the Beach Boys. Brian was ready to finish out his career as a Beach Boy, the way he began. Brian was ready and willing. It's Mike who opted out. His words mean nothing.

I'd love to know who pulled the article. Maybe Mike was fasting when he wrote that email, and thought better of it after he got a little nourishment? Interesting and fascinating.

Can those words have any meaning whatsoever besides restating that the "Mike and Brian alone in a room" condition must be met for this to happen? Not that this is a surprise or anything. But essentially, bossaroo is right: it is meaningless.

It's worded ever so nice and cheery, but in reality isn't that just a way of publicly saying nothing new at all?
It seems like a mere exercise in a PR spin attempt. All these niceties and kind words, and implying that the door is open? Um...  Roll Eyes

Everything seems nicey-nice when the conditional parts are omitted. And I get that Mike has things he wants, but to play it off as though there isn't a "but" lurking right around the corner of those kind words isn't right. Conversely, and unfortunately, the "buts" are in full bloom when saying nice words about NPP.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:03:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 02, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »

I'm personally amazed that Michael calling Brian a sweet and gentle soul and that when Brian's ready, he's ready, isn't the main takeaway from this interview .... Mike loves his cousin and has shut no doors preventing any future collaborations .....

It's a standard practice for anyone in the media - especially someone with as much experience with it as Mike has - to end a long screed against someone on a compliment in the hope that your points are made and you still come off looking like a good guy. More often than not it works, however the 'points' on this occasion were so unnecessary to the line of questioning that it didn't.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx