gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:09:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 105873 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 28, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »

Look, bacon's been around for like, how many decades? Centuries? All Mike has to do is send Bruce down to the nearest Ralph's and put a strip or two on the stove. Takes like 3 minutes to cook ..... Brian loves bacon! Bruce has even posted some comments about liking bacon. Why can't Mike just cook some himself instead of just saying "Oh, I've never had it" .... Makes me sad...

If you knew anything, you'd know Mike's a vegetarian. So no bacon for Mike.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »

"Mike's the Greatest" got it right years ago. God bless him.

Too bad that we have some sorte of Male Ego going on here, but.... Well, it's only ok to go 'male ego' when it's about some specific members of the Beach Boys. If 1% of the crap written about Mike was directed at Brian this thread would have been shut down in page 3.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

Look, bacon's been around for like, how many decades? Centuries? All Mike has to do is send Bruce down to the nearest Ralph's and put a strip or two on the stove. Takes like 3 minutes to cook ..... Brian loves bacon! Bruce has even posted some comments about liking bacon. Why can't Mike just cook some himself instead of just saying "Oh, I've never had it" .... Makes me sad...

If you knew anything, you'd know Mike's a vegetarian. So no bacon for Mike.

But shouldn't he just do it for Brian? To show his appreciation for Brian's favorite processed meat? He can even scribble an apology for SMILE on a napkin.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

There is no reason to lock this thread if this is an open forum. All I'd suggest is to not follow a pattern that has played out quite a few times in the past year or two, and stick to what the original post was about. Getting into taking shots at other members, no matter the reason and no matter who is involved, isn't what other members coming to the thread to catch up want to read. If it happens, perhaps either move it off the board or move on period.

There was an original article linked to in the first post which I think fans here should have a chance to react to and discuss. I would have done that more myself but my PC went haywire last night among my usual schedule. So I come back today to catch up and see calls to lock it? I'm not in favor of that, and usually in 9 out of 10 cases am not in favor of locking threads because people distract and divert and go off-topic into pointing fingers at other members rather than discussing the topic itself.

This one will stay open so everyone who wishes can have a say. If it starts getting into way-out diversions and personal swipes, everyone will see how, why, and who is doing it. And I hope the topic remains the topic despite attempts to twist and shift it miles away from what was actually the issue. Because it is something that fans feel strongly enough to have opinions about, and who may want to discuss further.

I hear you, GF and am not inclined to ask for threads to be closed, including this one.  At the same time it's depressing to see all the energy sucked into all these personal insults between posters - to the point that Brian himself posted a few days ago giving a tribute to a lovely musician who passed and was a huge Brian fan and it was generally ignored.  I guess people enjoy a battle more than something touching from Brian and an opportunity for those who didn't know Chris Rainbow to look into his music.  Such is the world and I live in it, so...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »

There is no reason to lock this thread if this is an open forum. All I'd suggest is to not follow a pattern that has played out quite a few times in the past year or two, and stick to what the original post was about. Getting into taking shots at other members, no matter the reason and no matter who is involved, isn't what other members coming to the thread to catch up want to read. If it happens, perhaps either move it off the board or move on period.

There was an original article linked to in the first post which I think fans here should have a chance to react to and discuss. I would have done that more myself but my PC went haywire last night among my usual schedule. So I come back today to catch up and see calls to lock it? I'm not in favor of that, and usually in 9 out of 10 cases am not in favor of locking threads because people distract and divert and go off-topic into pointing fingers at other members rather than discussing the topic itself.

This one will stay open so everyone who wishes can have a say. If it starts getting into way-out diversions and personal swipes, everyone will see how, why, and who is doing it. And I hope the topic remains the topic despite attempts to twist and shift it miles away from what was actually the issue. Because it is something that fans feel strongly enough to have opinions about, and who may want to discuss further.

I hear you, GF and am not inclined to ask for threads to be closed, including this one.  At the same time it's depressing to see all the energy sucked into all these personal insults between posters - to the point that Brian himself posted a few days ago giving a tribute to a lovely musician who passed and was a huge Brian fan and it was generally ignored.  I guess people enjoy a battle more than something touching from Brian and an opportunity for those who didn't know Chris Rainbow to look into his music.  Such is the world and I live in it, so...

100% agreed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »

Give you something to do... Brian Wilson's Masterpiece by The Passion and objective Joker Fan.. Nice song..run along and find it!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »

What amazes me is that we feel so inclined to fight their battles for them. I'll bet none of the guys have ever gone at each other like we do for them. Mike & Dennis probably never had shouting matches like the agruments in this thread. We are a pathetic bunch, aren't we? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Muslim folk don't eat bacon either.

--

Although I find threads like this tiresome by this stage, I'm with guitarfool in that I don't want to see threads locked unless absolutely necessary.  My problem is that I feel compelled to (at least skim-) read all this garbage in case there any interesting pieces of information hidden away that I would otherwise miss out on!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »

I hear you, GF and am not inclined to ask for threads to be closed, including this one.  At the same time it's depressing to see all the energy sucked into all these personal insults between posters - to the point that Brian himself posted a few days ago giving a tribute to a lovely musician who passed and was a huge Brian fan and it was generally ignored.  I guess people enjoy a battle more than something touching from Brian and an opportunity for those who didn't know Chris Rainbow to look into his music.  Such is the world and I live in it, so...

You know, I noticed that too. The main man posts something here and about 20 posters virtually ignore him and would rather argue about effing nothing! You know he (or Melinda) came back here to see the responses and instead saw a long line of posts arguing about the same ol' regurgitated bullshit about Mike Love and the demise of the C50. These people really don't have lives. They're more fanatical about getting their opinions validated than being actual fans of the band. It's really sad that Brian posts something on here - only the third time after posting in the Q&A thread and you guys have nothing else in the world to do but waste time posting BULLSHIT about nothing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:05:55 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »

I don't hate Mike. He might have flaws but we all do. He is Brian's cousin and a huge part of my favorite band ever.  You clowns that claim to be Beach Boys fans but bitch about Mike Love NON-STOP and are annoyed by songs like I Get Around really are a joke. Get a life...get a new band....or get help.

If you have a problem with me Paul, at least have the balls to call me out by name, y'dig? Hell, I'll even give you my Skype number and you can say it to my face if it'll please you. Say 'Elnombre really is a joke because he said he'd played out a few of the old hits so he needs to get a life, get a new band and get help.' Of course, trying to 'get help' is 'doing nothing' according to you, so I'd be wasting my time.  angel

My comments on 'I Get Around' and 'Surfin' U.S.A.'

Aww I don't hate them. They're great songs. I've just heard 'em enough.

But - of course I know they're there because they're crowd pleasers. And hey, when you're there in the crowd it's easy to get swept up in them.

Anyway, heartily looking forward to hearing why being a little bored of a few of the always-played hits prohibits me from having an opinion on a Mike Love interview and why you feel the need to launch personal attacks (the very thing you claim to be oh so valiantly railing against) on other forum members rather than say, oh I don't know, responding to the comments they made in the relevant thread. Stay classy.  Hello

You have the nerve to talk about personal attacks and intentionally put your name into the mix and spew stuff like tell it to my face via skype then tell me to stay classy? Pardon me but I don't memorize every poster and recall exactly who it was that said what. And once more, you, like others here are cherry picking a statement and taking it out of context to be a jack.

Y'dig? seriously...

Since you want it personal.....Hey! elnombre!  If IGA comes up in a thread of Beach Boys songs that most annoy you I would wager you are not very familiar with their really bad stuff, feel free to like what you want, but I would stay away from the Love & Mercy clip if I were you. (spoiler...they play that and S-USA...yikes) How's that?

The IGA comment was a generalization in context with an ongoing attitude about Mike and the early stuff by some people that baffle many a true Beach Boys fan here. Not just IGA..go back and read it.

"I'm big on John Wayne but westerns are boring and I don't like them".......I'd say find a new film star to admire. To the people that post here and hate Mike I fully stand by my get a new band or a life comment.

As far as your other obnoxious comment about Brian's mental health that you are also taking out of context ...see my next post.

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 28, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »

You do bitch about Mike. A lot.  It's kind of mean too.  He posted your pic at his show with a "Thanks Bossaroo"  and now you post it and make fun of him that he did that. He was having a bit of fun and you go and do that?  That is high school bullying and plain nasty. 

i really don't. in this thread, yes. but not all over this board.

high school bullying? I am bullying Mike Love? because I reposted the 'Thanks Bossaroo' picture? really??

he was having a bit of fun and so was I. the fact that Mike went searching through a thread called Weirdest Pics of Mike Love You Can Find and found one he liked, and actually put it on the big screen at his concert is pretty funny to me. whether he intended it to be funny is unclear, which makes it even funnier.

most people who have spent much time with Mike and Brian at certain points in the Beach Boys' career have described his dynamic with Brian as somewhat bullying and intimidating. perhaps even physical altercations provoked by Mike. if me posting a couple pictures on a message board is bullying Mike Love... fine. i'll take it.

I can stand the heat fine but am fed up with the BS. Because I respond to something YOU did say does not mean every statement in a post is directly talking about you. And you were way off topic days ago IN THIS THREAD when you made YOUR comments abut Mike making money ect. and that had NOTHING to do with how he handled the C50. Brian spent years doing nothing regarding the BB's and a guy named Landy drugged the hell out of him in an attempt to brainwash him into thinking he needed him to exist. If you find those facts disrespectful that's your hang up.

Mike's major complaint about the C50 tour was how much money it was costing, what a large and cumbersome show it was. not streamlined enough. too lavish. he found a way to mention it in almost every interview at the time. and as a result, he came across as overly concerned about money and expenses. even when it was all over he still couldn't shut up about it. mentioning Mike's preoccupation with money is dead-on topic.

and there you go again... "Brian spent years doing nothing"
what years were those exactly?

For you and that other guy that wants things to be personal...

Bossaroo! What is your problem? I will try to be very clear this time...OK..my "Brian spent years doing nothing" was a response to comments I was making concerning Mike Love and the Beach Boys with Carl and Alan and not Brian. It was all about the recording and touring and Beach Boy Brian ect. ...OK...it was always pretty clear. Do you get it now?

I'm fully aware of Brian's struggles and mental illness issues over his lifespan. 

I attended concerts in the early 80's where I witnessed a chain-smoking 300 pound man, seemingly on the verge of a heart attack, onstage, singing into a mic that was not hooked up to anything, singing lyrics to a song the Beach Boys were not even singing beside him, and thinking.... boy this is great ..it's  Brian... but... I was also thinking....c'mon guys.... figure this out cause this isn't good.  Took place at the Wisconsin State Fair two years straight..81 and 82.  At that time Brian WAS doing something with the BB's and clearly should not have been.

I don't need to be lectured about being insensitive. There was NOTHING insensitive in my comments to anyone but those like you looking for a gripe. Trying to turn this into some kind of slam on Brian is a load of crap that you are imagining.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

You do bitch about Mike. A lot.  It's kind of mean too.  He posted your pic at his show with a "Thanks Bossaroo"  and now you post it and make fun of him that he did that. He was having a bit of fun and you go and do that?  That is high school bullying and plain nasty. 

i really don't. in this thread, yes. but not all over this board.

high school bullying? I am bullying Mike Love? because I reposted the 'Thanks Bossaroo' picture? really??

he was having a bit of fun and so was I. the fact that Mike went searching through a thread called Weirdest Pics of Mike Love You Can Find and found one he liked, and actually put it on the big screen at his concert is pretty funny to me. whether he intended it to be funny is unclear, which makes it even funnier.

most people who have spent much time with Mike and Brian at certain points in the Beach Boys' career have described his dynamic with Brian as somewhat bullying and intimidating. perhaps even physical altercations provoked by Mike. if me posting a couple pictures on a message board is bullying Mike Love... fine. i'll take it.

I can stand the heat fine but am fed up with the BS. Because I respond to something YOU did say does not mean every statement in a post is directly talking about you. And you were way off topic days ago IN THIS THREAD when you made YOUR comments abut Mike making money ect. and that had NOTHING to do with how he handled the C50. Brian spent years doing nothing regarding the BB's and a guy named Landy drugged the hell out of him in an attempt to brainwash him into thinking he needed him to exist. If you find those facts disrespectful that's your hang up.

Mike's major complaint about the C50 tour was how much money it was costing, what a large and cumbersome show it was. not streamlined enough. too lavish. he found a way to mention it in almost every interview at the time. and as a result, he came across as overly concerned about money and expenses. even when it was all over he still couldn't shut up about it. mentioning Mike's preoccupation with money is dead-on topic.

and there you go again... "Brian spent years doing nothing"
what years were those exactly?

For you and that other guy that wants things to be personal...

Bossaroo! What is your problem? I will try to be very clear this time...OK..my "Brian spent years doing nothing" was a response to comments I was making concerning Mike Love and the Beach Boys with Carl and Alan and not Brian. It was all about the recording and touring and Beach Boy Brian ect. ...OK...it was always pretty clear. Do you get it now?

I'm fully aware of Brian's struggles and mental illness issues over his lifespan. 

I attended concerts in the early 80's where I witnessed a chain-smoking 300 pound man, seemingly on the verge of a heart attack, onstage, singing into a mic that was not hooked up to anything, singing lyrics to a song the Beach Boys were not even singing beside him, and thinking.... boy this is great ..it's  Brian... but... I was also thinking....c'mon guys.... figure this out cause this isn't good.  Took place at the Wisconsin State Fair two years straight..81 and 82.  At that time Brian WAS doing something with the BB's and clearly should not have been.

I don't need to be lectured about being insensitive. There was NOTHING insensitive in my comments to anyone but those like you looking for a gripe. Trying to turn this into some kind of slam on Brian is a load of crap that you are imagining.

You bring up a major major hurdle with this board ... We can't even be honest about Brian here without being accused of being "anti-Brian Wilson" and if we get the least bit sensitive about insults toward Mike, we're greeted with only more insults, where being accused of being "anti-Brian" that's generall greeted with either apologies or attempts to explain such taken out of context comments in minute detail ... See the trouble with this set-up?

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

I'm still wondering how Jewish people who don't eat bacon feel about Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

I feel sorry for Mike at the Sea World gig ... All that BBQ on the grills wafting toward the stage!!!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »

I feel sorry for Mike at the Sea World gig ... All that BBQ on the grills wafting toward the stage!!!
Dude! As if! As if there wasn't unlimited gratis barbeque backstage at the seaworld gig. gnorance personified. you stupid piece of hoot.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »

Only Pinder dreams of M&B at seaworld Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »

Dude! As if! As if there wasn't unlimited gratis barbeque backstage at the seaworld gig. gnorance personified. you stupid piece of hoot.

Sir, please try and follow the thread ..... Mike's a vegetarian .... Get it??
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »

Or any of the new venues that they'll be booking in the future such as Dairy Queen, Wendy's(Free Baconators w/cheeze), WalMart parking lots, dealership openings, local senior centers, turnpike rest stops, Greyhound terminals and the nursing home circuit.   Evil  

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »

Or any of the new venues that they'll be booking in the future such as Dairy Queen, Wendy's(Free Baconators w/cheeze), WalMart parking lots, dealership openings, local senior centers, turnpike rest stops, Greyhound terminals and the nursing home circuit.   Evil  

The last one means they're coming for YOU, OSD!!!  Evil
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »

OSD will take his sleeping pills Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »

In all seriousness , it's really a shame that people get so worked up about this because in the not so distant future you're going to hear one of these guys speak at the others funeral and they're going to say how much they loved the person and how talented the person was.

:applauds:

I was saying much the same when a poster mentioned he was debating whether or not to buy M&B tickets. I guess when there's a schism in the fanbase as there is with the BB's, people find it easy to pigeonhole posters into one of two camps when I think the majority lie somewhere much more slightly left or right of the centre and when someone behaves questionably - as Mike undoubtedly has with this interview....not necessarily wrongly, but certainly he's raised questions and contradictions on previous statements - then they/we take it on a case by case basis.

Of course this isn't true of everyone. Reiterating your hatred day after day is something I don't get once everyone already knows its your own view to the point its synonymous with your username. But live and let live while you can. Or else you'll get a stomach ulcer.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »

OSD will take his sleeping pills Wink

Gives new meaning to the term "lookin for Love in all the wrong places"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »

I said I wasn't going to get involved, but dammit...
You bring up a major major hurdle with this board ... We can't even be honest about Brian here without being accused of being "anti-Brian Wilson" and if we get the least bit sensitive about insults toward Mike, we're greeted with only more insults, where being accused of being "anti-Brian" that's generall greeted with either apologies or attempts to explain such taken out of context comments in minute detail ... See the trouble with this set-up?

Here's my problem...the thread is supposed to be about Mike's interview.  The interview was full of many statements that were poorly chosen, at best. That a legit gripe for many posters here. I have always tried to be fair with all sides of the band, and that includes Mike. I happen to *like* the touring band, and I have always given Mike credit where it is due. Hell, I even like most of Looking Back with Love, and I probably like it more than he does. That said, the interview was pretty questionable for many reasons.

That's on topic. That's what we should be discussing here. That was honest, without getting out of hand. Now, with that in mind, and addressing to this to everyone...why in the hell are we talking about who is anti-Brian? And why does it always end up so personal? I have to echo what was said earlier, and put my own spin on it...so many of you act like complete tools to each other, and say worse things about each other than any other member of the band ever said about each other. Hell, both 'sides' probably have more animosity than there *ever* has been between Mike and Brian, and have said worse things about Mike or Brian (guys in a band that we're supposedly all fans of) have ever said to each other. I'm not even talking about criticizing them...it's the fact that it's taken to a whole other level. That sickens and disgusts me.

In all seriousness , it's really a shame that people get so worked up about this because in the not so distant future you're going to hear one of these guys speak at the others funeral and they're going to say how much they loved the person and how talented the person was.
Exactly. These guys aren't 19 and 21 any more. Life's too short for that. Trust me, I know that all too well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:48:17 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »

Actually yeah...those of us who follow a Kosher diet, for one (although I'm not one of them anymore). Just one example.

Hey Billy; Don't know if you get your meat at a Kosher Butcher, but ours has had BEEF Bacon for seemingly forever( Longer than we've shopped there) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »

Well put Billy, but don't we all kinda know Michael E. Love a little by now? Don't we kinda know what to expect in an interview? The guy's in his mid 70's and isn't likely to start making us all happy regarding all these topics now ... He's set in his ways, and so are we ... And even when he does say something we might appreciate, his words just cause a feeding frenzy for the sharks ....

It should tell us something that Dennis was by far those most intelligent, articulate, thoughtful and insightful interview subject in The Beach Boys. We need to let the man (Myke) be himself.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx