gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:37:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 106768 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »

Bossaroo "I do believe that Mike is motivated primarily by wealth and fame while Brian is motivated mainly by making music. In the words of Jeff Foskett: Brian is an artist, Mike is an entertainer. simple as that."

Well, that's not true. Mike has more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. Same goes for Brian. Mike's not out there doing it to accumulate cash. Both Mike and Brian could never play live again and live quite comfortably for the remainder of their lives. I think they're BOTH doing it to make music. They may (or may not) have different visions on how the music should be presented, and fans can choose to respect one vision over another, but both visions are valid.

unless you're Mike Love, you are simply stating an opinion like me.
you have no idea what motivates Mike Love. just because someone is already wealthy, doesn't mean they don't want to keep accumulating wealth and stay that way. that's kind of how being wealthy works. Mike has numerous ex-wives, children, and expenses I'm sure. and as I stated, he also does it for the fame and adulation. Mike loves being the frontman. he loves pointing at people in the audience. he loves flaunting his gold and he loves the attention of the ladies. he loves being a rock star.

Brian doesn't care a thing about being in the spotlight.

and there is quite a big difference between MAKING music and PERFORMING music. Mike doesn't really make music. he doesn't play an instrument. he doesn't arrange harmonies or write songs or melodies to speak of. what has he written in the last 20 years?? Pisces Brothers? there's really no comparison.

Well, maybe my thinking of The Ramones as equally "high art" as Gershwin might have something to do with me thinking what Mike does as being just as artistically valid as what Brian does. But I think it's a point worth making .... Arranging music and vocals is not the only thing that qualifies as art .... Especially in the world of Rock n Roll. I truly think the "Brian is a genius" thing has warped people's ability to just soak in the man's own music for the joyous thing that it is .... This endless obsessing over who wrote what and credit credit credit ends up being not much more than a defensive attitude .... Mike is just as good at what he does as what Brian does, and they created a whole lot of awesomeness together .... And I'm certainly not into tearing down a singer, performer, frontman, lyricist just to further lavish praise on a songwriter, singer, arranger .... It makes no sense to do so, yet in The Beach Bous fan world, it's par for the course ..... Even when it's two guys who have frequently worked together to astonishing effect ..... Incredible .... Where do we draw the line with this once we allow this thinking to extend beyond The Beach Boys? Are AC/DC just doing it for the money because they play basic instruments and sing about sex and rocking? Do we consider U2 "high art" in comparison because Bono sings about "important things?" ....

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:12:10 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

LOL

never gets old!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:10:31 PM by bossaroo » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »

The whole thing is just pretty tacky and monumentally misjudged. If he's going to turn the whole thing into a plug for his memoirs, why doesn't he just shut up, bite his tongue, be gracious to his "Cousin Brian" and let the man take a well-deserved victory lap this year. Say he's excited to hear "Cousin Brian's" new album and then turn it into a plug for a show in Point Pleasant, NJ or something. Use a labored pier segue if needed. BW seems set to have a pretty big year and why further the "Mike Love is a douchebag" narrative by acting like one, Mr. Love? Meditate for an extra twenty minutes before facing the press. Dive reaaal deep. Balance teacups on your cap brim before interviews.

Then tell his side in the book next year.  Save the sour grapes for then and bust out "needless to say, I had the last laugh" at the end of every anecdote.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:20:13 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »

and there is quite a big difference between MAKING music and PERFORMING music. Mike doesn't really make music. he doesn't play an instrument. he doesn't arrange harmonies or write songs or melodies to speak of. what has he written in the last 20 years?? Pisces Brothers? there's really no comparison.

Well, considering my paragraph was about playing live, I assumed you (or anyone else) would get that. Okay, PERFORMING music.  
When folks on here are comparing Mike to Brian they're generally referring to playing live because Mike obviously hasn't released any albums at all. That's a given.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »

Mike is just as good at what he does as what Brian does

perhaps but there's not a lot of genius in pointing, miming lyrics, and color coordinating. or regurgitating lyrical themes. or continuously playing the same 30 or so songs you recorded in your 20s for the last 3 or 4 decades.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »

Well, considering my paragraph was about playing live, I assumed you (or anyone else) would get that. Okay, PERFORMING music.  
When folks on here are comparing Mike to Brian they're generally referring to playing live because Mike obviously hasn't released any albums at all. That's a given.

no it's not a given.
Brian has never been a particularly strong or comfortable performer, whereas Mike eats it up.

my original statement which you disagreed with was: Mike is motivated by wealth and fame, Brian is motivated by making music.
I never said anything about playing live. many fans think Brian would be happy never performing live again, but never sitting at the piano?

it's the opposite with Mike.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:38:39 PM by bossaroo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »

perhaps but there's not a lot of genius in pointing, miming lyrics, and color coordinating. or regurgitating lyrical themes. or continuously playing the same 30 or so songs you recorded in your 20s for the last 3 or 4 decades.
Brian plays those same 30 songs too. Brian points, as well. Brian has solo music he can perform, but does he? No, he does not. He relies on the same set of songs that Mike does. Those 30 songs are the cash cows for both performers.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

Part of the problem here is stated right up front, the guy did this 'interview' through email.  So when Mike says something, that's easy to misunderstand, you can't immediately ask him for clarification. 

So the right way would be

Mike: "there was never any talk of another album"

Interviewer: "You mentioned something about it back in 2012"

Mike: "Yeah, but I mean nothing formal, no offers or contracts or time frames or whatever"

Interviewer: "You say he mentioned a rock album, cover album though?"

MIke: "Yes, we talked about that but he never followed up"

Etc. would clear up a TON of this sh*t (as if it even matters) ... but since all these interviews are either A. Not really interviews, but emails or B. conducted by people who aren't very invested in any of these questions, it doesn't clear up anything.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »

Brian plays those same 30 songs too. Brian points, as well. Brian has solo music he can perform, but does he? No, he does not. He relies on the same set of songs that Mike does. Those 30 songs are the cash cows for both performers.

funny, the last time I saw Brian (and Al and Dave) they played quite a mix of hits and obscure tunes, as well as some of Brian's solo numbers. and Summer's Gone.

and didn't Brian just film a performance of nothing BUT new material?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »

I guess that depends on whether or not you consider 50 year old songs to be new.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »

I guess that depends on whether or not you consider 50 year old songs to be new.

ok my bad, but it was certainly filmed to showcase his new material
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »

ok my bad, but it was certainly filmed to showcase his new material

Yeah, that was definitely the reason they filmed it. Looking back though, it's sort of a shock to see that only 6 of the 31 songs performed were from the new album.
Still, they restarted a song midway to get it just right and played another song twice to get a better take, so their focus was definitely on the new stuff.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:55:10 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »

only 6. isn't that how many Beach Boys were present as well?  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

Howie speaks the truth here, guys.

Yes he does.

And ya know? You gotta interview Mike Love one on one eye to eye in person and ask pinpoint questions - the right ones - the same ones that have been regurgitated here for three years now. You gotta get the answers to put this C50 demise bullshit to rest so we don't have to see it brought up over and over and over again here on Smiley Smile. ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS IN PERSON and put this sh*t to rest!!! Please!!! We really need a Q&A with Mike Love here. Somebody get him here - whatever it takes!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:53 PM »

Part of the problem here is stated right up front, the guy did this 'interview' through email.  So when Mike says something, that's easy to misunderstand, you can't immediately ask him for clarification. 

So the right way would be

Mike: "there was never any talk of another album"

Interviewer: "You mentioned something about it back in 2012"

Mike: "Yeah, but I mean nothing formal, no offers or contracts or time frames or whatever"

Interviewer: "You say he mentioned a rock album, cover album though?"

MIke: "Yes, we talked about that but he never followed up"

Etc. would clear up a TON of this sh*t (as if it even matters) ... but since all these interviews are either A. Not really interviews, but emails or B. conducted by people who aren't very invested in any of these questions, it doesn't clear up anything.

Yes, that would be the ideal scenario. But Mike chose to speak out and like anyone else if he wants his words to mean something its his responsibility to be clear.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2015, 09:30:49 PM »

Meditate for an extra twenty minutes before facing the press. Dive reaaal deep. Balance teacups on your cap brim before interviews.

couldn't resist...

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:49 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:36:56 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »

Talk by promoters and labels and unilateral predictions of future albums isn't "discussion in the group". In 2012, no mention of discussion in the group just talk by someone, nothing set in stone, group plans are in the future after C50. In 2015, nothing was ever in writing or concrete so no plans.  It still seems to me they were/are all open to plans but those talking to the group apparently never present anything in writing and there is no discussion in the group of plans. Anyway, like somebody said earlier the whole thing screams of no discussion within the group.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »

no it's not a given.
Brian has never been a particularly strong or comfortable performer, whereas Mike eats it up.

my original statement which you disagreed with was: Mike is motivated by wealth and fame, Brian is motivated my making music.
I never said anything about playing live. many fans think Brian would be happy never performing live again, but never sitting at the piano?

it's the opposite with Mike.

Well, I guess I misread your statement because Mike doesn't put out albums so I assumed you were talking about playing live.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »

Talk by promoters and labels and unilateral predictions of future albums isn't "discussion in the group". In 2012, no mention of discussion in the group just talk by someone, nothing set in stone, group plans are in the future after C50. In 2015, nothing was ever in writing or concrete so no plans.  It still seems to me they were/are all open to plans but those talking to the group apparently never present anything in writing and there is no discussion in the group of plans. Anyway, like somebody said earlier the whole thing screams of no discussion within the group.

Please get your head out of the sand

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »

They should change their name to the Beach Teenage Girls

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »

Well, I guess I misread your statement because Mike doesn't put out albums so I assumed you were talking about playing live.

either way, my point remains the same. why are these guys in show biz?

for Mike, it's as much about being the frontman, the rock star... and all that entails.

Brian really couldn't care less about any of that it would seem. he is in show business for one reason only, his ability to make music. he enjoys a very comfortable lifestyle, but he's not out there chasing the spotlight or the concert revenues night after night like Mike is.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »

for Mike, it's as much about being the frontman, the rock star... and all that entails.

Brian really couldn't care less about any of that it would seem. he is in show business for one reason only, his ability to make music. he enjoys a very comfortable lifestyle, but he's not out there chasing the spotlight or the concert revenues night after night like Mike is.

Of course, as it's been pointed out many times, One reason Brian doesn't have to chase the spotlight/concert revenues is he gets a split form every show, whether he appears or not. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »

I think this is assuming a great deal about both Brian and Mike and oversimplifying them both as well.

"His (Brian's) ability to make music?" ....... So, Brian plays live shows simply because he can make music? ..... Kate Bush has the ability to make music yet has only toured exactly twice, decades apart ...... Brian either loves playing live in front of people or he's being put up to it ..... And if any part of Brian loves playing his music to a crowd, then he has a lot more in common with Mike than we give him credit for.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:10:45 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2015, 10:23:38 PM »

Of course, as it's been pointed out many times, One reason Brian doesn't have to chase the spotlight/concert revenues is he gets a split form every show, whether he appears or not. 

it's also been pointed out that Brian's split provides relatively little in the way of income. he's not depending on Mike to pay his bills
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx