gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:18:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 105885 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »

Mike: There was never any discussions within the group....

That statement is pretty disappointing if correct. The thought that at no time were they close enough to say "Ok....band meeting time!" over the future.  Sad
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:08:52 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure Brian has talked about doing a covers album in the past, long before C50 (just like that "rock and roll" album he's talked about since the 90's: see "Imagination" promo material). While I'd much rather hear new material from Brian (even if it's all co-writes with Joe Thomas) and I'm excited about NPP, it's certainly plausible that Brian would suggest doing an album of covers and Mike would be "stoked" about it, considering Brian's done a ton of them his whole professional life and obviously must love recording them.

I have no reason to doubt that Mike would have been stoked about an album of covers. But I think most fans and observers would say that an album of NEW songs is preferable, assuming the principals involved are capable of writing songs. In this case, they are.

But as a separate issue, I think lodging some sort of complaint with an implication of bait-and-switch just reeks of sour grapes after the fact. Didn't Brian get the Capitol record deal based on some songs he had written with Joe Thomas? I think before the "proper" album sessions began (meaning once all the members were involved), it was *already* known that it would be new songs, and specifically mostly songs written by Brian and Joe. That's what scored the record deal. Mike showed up and did the album, and even *wrote* lyrics to several and flew in his own solo song. To object to the concept of an album of Brian/Joe songs, and/or object to an album of new songs, way after the fact, just seems silly.

We don't even know *when* Brian and Mike threw around the idea of an album of covers. It kind of sounds like Mike interview implies it was right before the sessions started (the aforementioned implied bait-and-switch), but what if they threw that idea around six months or a year prior, before they even got the Capitol deal?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »

Mike: There was never any discussions within the group....

That statement is pretty disappointing if correct. The thought that at no time were they close enough to say "Ok....band meeting time!" over the future.  Sad

I would tend to doubt *no* discussions took place. Mike said in 2012 that they discussed it in some form.

Clearly, though, they don't have any management that will get them all together and on anything approaching the same page.

But it also seems like Mike was ready to move on and go back to his own thing before the tour was even over. David Marks said in an interview no too long ago that his understanding was that everybody knew Mike was going to back to his own thing.

They all should shoulder some blame for not having good management. But something worth thinking about is that it probably isn't terribly conducive to a group discussion about future *group* plans once Mike has already started booking shows outside of the reunion group.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »

It isn't open season on Mike from me Pinder.  But the poor mother-f*cker keeps putting on that gawd-damned hat with the friggin' antlers on it. Huh  And the shirt with the target on the back?  He has 3 closets full of THOSE.  And he puts them on almost as if it's just par for the course.

I agree...in essence...BWPS is an album that is, for the most part, a collection of covers.  Never before released...at least in a completed form...ocvers but covers, by and large, nonetheless.  In the Key Of Disney?  Covers.  Gershwin?  Primarily covers.  THOSE TWO THOUGH?  Brian was contracted and paid to do those specifically.  It wasn't like he woke up 2 mornings in a row and thought...Disney/Gershwin?  Oh YAAAAAAA.  And it's not like all of those songs have just been recorded to death.  The Christmas album?  Well... ... ...

You surely would agree that Brian can write a song.  You would also agree that he can take a song...his or the next person's...and give it an arrangement like it's never had before?  True?  You must agree or you wouldn't be here.  Can cousin Mike do that?  

No.

That Mike makes dough is good.  It's good for Mike, Bruce, the touring band...and for BRI.  No problem.  Fans, even if only for the night, DESERVE to hear those songs presented and performed as often as possible and as well as possible by as many Beach Boys as possible.  Mike delivers the 'goods'.  He does it well.  He does it successfully.  He does it repeatedly.  In some way, shape or form the Beach Boys have been serving up one of the VERY BEST bodies of work ever concocted for over half a century and Mike Love deserves a ton of credit for that.  Primarily...EVERYBODY wins.  He does it as well as he can for as low a cost as he can realistically and artistically get away with in terms of the presentation.  He doesn't shy away from ADDING value to the show though.  S'all good.  Again...EVERYBODY wins.

Brian does it better.  Different raison d'etre.  Different agenda.  Different in terms of the goals.  Different in terms of the results.  Why?  'Cause Brian is representing Brian.  Mike is representing EVERYONE connected with BRI...and, of course, he's representing the Beach Boys.  I made a joke a few weeks ago in the thread suggesting songs that Mike and the guys should include in this years 'set'.  I copied ALL of the songs from No Pier Pressure and posted it.  Why?  Because I think that THAT is humorous.  In fact knee-slappingly/nose drainingly funny.  But that's just me.  I like to laugh. LOL

Brian has done his 'covers'.  He's all 'covered' out.  He has new music and new arrangements he wants to share with us...you, me and all the other folks interested.  He can DO it...and he has.  Mike wants to share the Beach Boys body of work with us.  He can DO it...and he does.  As for something new?  Not so much.  He's got Pieces Brother.  He includes it.  Fans show him respect when he plays it.  If he wants to release it with a bunch of covers of old re-visted Beach Boys tunes or tributes to HIS peers...good for him.  Will it be comparable to No Pier Pressure?

No.

Some here are tired of seeing Mike get pilloried at every step.  It really could, should and would stop...if he'd just take off the friggin' HAT. Cool Guy  The one with the antlers on it.  If he wants to play the part of the thoroughbred...he should choose the 'part' more carefully.

That article makes him look small.  It ain't the first time.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:44:50 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »

These are actual Mike Love quotes that went on to run -- audio and transcript -- nationwide via my syndicated radio feed during C50.

I don't know how someone could interview Mike and not follow up with him asking him why he said the following to another journalist, if according to him now, none of it supposedly happened.

"There's talk of another album, yeah. Y'know, the record company's completely stoked about how well this whole project has gone. There's the Grammys coming up next year and there's talk of us going back and doing a return to the Grammys and there's talk of doin' a new album together. So, we'll just have to see what happens in the future. There's nothin' definitely in stone, but there's a lot of ideas bein' floated around -- and there's been some very successful concerts. Y'know, 17-and-a-half thousand people at the Hollywood Bowl sold out and there's interest from promoters, obviously, 'cause that's how they make money."

and. . .

"After this year completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we'll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we'll come up with and then we'll look at what to do in the future."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:44:21 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »

My God, this is a wind tunnel worse than anything over at the sand box?

Don't you guys ever get sick of saying the same damn things?

Pinder, if I understand you correctly, you are b!tching about people posting the same things they always post by posting the same thing you always post when people post the same things they always post?  That is so blatantly sefl-condemning its hard to imagine why you would waste the time, yet there it is...

EoL

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »

Ouch, Howie. Well, there it is. No doubt some cementheads will try to carefully parse his words and insist "there's talk of doin' a new album together" somehow doesn't mean that they talked about doing a new album together.

I almost feel embarrassed for Mike Love, but somehow I get the impression he has no problem changing the story to suit him without a lick of embarrassment. A guy with that kind of shirt collection just doesn't do embarrassment.

I wonder what the story will turn into by the end of the year, after months of Brian Wilson getting good press for the album and movie. No doubt he'll deny ever being a part of the reunion and insist it never happened.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:59:18 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »

Pinder, if I understand you correctly, you are b!tching about people posting the same things they always post by posting the same thing you always post when people post the same things they always post?  That is so blatantly sefl-condemning its hard to imagine why you would waste the time, yet there it is...

EoL

That's what happens when you like swimming in the ocean and get caught in whirlpools. The Beach Boys are the ocean and threads like this are the whirlpools...

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

It isn't open season on Mike from me Pinder.  But the poor mother-f*cker keeps putting on that gawd-damned hat with the friggin' antlers on it. Huh  And the shirt with the target on the back?  He has 3 closets full of THOSE.  And he puts them on almost as if it's just par for the course.

Hilarious Add Some, and spot on.  Yet some here seem to think he should be able to contradict himself with impunity.  Mike gets to say things that aren't true, that's ok, but if anyone complains about it, well, they are being jackasses.  It doesn't work that way.

EoL

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »

EoL

That's what happens when you like swimming in the ocean and get caught in whirlpools. The Beach Boys are the ocean and threads like this are the whirlpools...

LOL

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »

Hilarious Add Some, and spot on.  Yet some here seem to think he should be able to contradict himself with impunity.  Mike gets to say things that aren't true, that's ok, but if anyone complains about it, well, they are being jackasses.  It doesn't work that way.

EoL

We're talking about insane rock stars here! Some contradictions should be allowed. Yes! Does anyone want to tally up the times (however innocently) Brian has contradicted himself in an interview?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »

Does anyone want to tally up the times (however innocently) Brian has contradicted himself in an interview?

Smiley And then ask AGD to post the result on Bellagio, for future reference - on the off chance the topic should ever come up again.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »

It isn't open season on Mike from me Pinder.  But the poor mother-f*cker keeps putting on that gawd-damned hat with the friggin' antlers on it. Huh  And the shirt with the target on the back?  He has 3 closets full of THOSE.  And he puts them on almost as if it's just par for the course.

EoL

We're talking about insane rock stars here! Some contradictions should be allowed. Yes! Does anyone want to tally up the times (however innocently) Brian has contradicted himself in an interview?

Yes, and yet that is quite ok because it's, well, Brian and he has complete impunity. I never encountered such a place as this one where we rip the sh*t out of the bandmembers of the band that we love.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »

I guess it's not a surprise that you guys would rather talk about Brian Wilson when Mike Love shoves his foot and most of his ankle in his mouth.

Maybe one of you can bring up Al Jardine and the whole "Beach Boys Family & Friends" thing and really distract from this boneheaded article.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:26:30 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »

I don't blame Mike -- but I do fault shoddy, amateur writing/reporting for tabloid purposes.

If your deal is covering The Beach Boys and what they do and say -- especially on a topic as devisive, current, and fascinating as the 50th -- know your sh *t. Know who said what and when. I do. A lot of people here do, too. I think that the interviewer didn't know of Mike's past comments, and even if he had would've been far too skittish to call him on them. ESQ should've been all over why C50 fell apart, it should've ALL BEEN THERE in those pages. And it wasn't because the comps, free CD's, and promo pix MIGHT'VE dried up. To run this piece now, after pulling such a huge punch regarding the reunion issue is insulting.

There's a lot of really good things about ESQ and God knows, I'd rather have it around than not -- but this is a KEY example why it'll always remain a fanzine and never a true publication of record. Having it linked to such an amateur operation as Examiner.com isn't doing it any favors either.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:59:37 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »

Howie speaks the truth here, guys.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »

Howie speaks the truth here, guys.

Absolutely.

Also interesting that certain elements haven't contributed to the thread.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »

See, this is what irks me to no end. These fawning, Benny Hinn attendee-like declarations of any damn thing Brian releases as art of the highest order! ..... Even when it's Gershwin material or Disney stuff ...... Meanwhile, Mike merely performs an original song live (Pisces Brothers) in rather unassuming fashion and gets nothing but insults hurled his way by those much more cultured and informed folk who know what true art is.....

this was directed at me, so I'll respond.
Gershwin's music is generally considered to be art of the highest order (or at least several notches above doo-wop and Little GTO), as are many of Brian's arrangement and production methods. as a marriage of those two things I think many would consider the Gershwin album to be a work of high art. not to mention Brian's deep love and respect for the music, and the fact that Brian was given the opportunity to flesh out and "finish" two Gershwin compositions himself. it really is a special album and overall, quite lush and beautiful.

I never claimed the Disney album was art of the highest order, rather it's an enjoyable and also rather unique entry in the catalog, that exists only as a contractual obligation.

I have also never uttered one word about Pisces Brothers on this site, or anywhere else for that matter.

And oh, multi-millionaire Brian only charges because he puts on such a huge, fantastic show, while multi-millionaire Mike only charges because he's greedy?

I call bullshite several million times over.

I never said that either, but I do believe that Mike is motivated primarily by wealth and fame while Brian is motivated mainly by making music. In the words of Jeff Foskett: Brian is an artist, Mike is an entertainer. simple as that.

And what exactly is this "higher production value?" More band members? What difference does that make? Does Earth Wind & Fire charge more for 45 members than U2 who only have 4? .... It's all just guys playing music and singing.

bingo.
what difference does it make? a difference in the cost of production.
and I don't know if they charge more than U2, but are there really 45 members of Earth Wind & Fire?

I call bullshite, oh... about 30 times over  Wink
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:51:37 PM by bossaroo » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »

On another note did anyone see David Crosby's tweet about ML?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »

I don't blame Mike -- but I do fault shoddy, amateur writing/reporting for tabloid purposes.

If your deal is covering The Beach Boys and what they do and say -- especially on a topic as devisive, current, and fascinating as the 50th -- know your sh *t. Know who said what and when. I do. A lot of people here do, too. I think that the interviewer didn't know of Mike's past comments, and even if he had would've been far too skittish to call him on them. ESQ should've been all over why C50 fell apart, it should've ALL BEEN THERE in those pages. And it wasn't because the comps, free CD's, and promo pix MIGHT'VE dried up. To run this piece now, after pulling such a huge punch regarding the reunion issue is insulting.

There's a lot of really good things about ESQ and God knows, I'd rather have it around than not -- but this is a KEY example why it'll always remain a fanzine and never a true publication of record. Having it linked to such an amateur operation as Examiner.com isn't doing it any favors either.

Wait a minute, did David or Lee ever claim that ESQ was anymore than what you claim? I have never seen it as nothing more than a fanzine. I doubt that even Brian would participate if it was anything other than that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »

Bossaroo "I do believe that Mike is motivated primarily by wealth and fame while Brian is motivated mainly by making music. In the words of Jeff Foskett: Brian is an artist, Mike is an entertainer. simple as that."

Well, that's not true. Mike has more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. Same goes for Brian. Mike's not out there doing it to accumulate cash. Both Mike and Brian could never play live again and live quite comfortably for the remainder of their lives. I think they're BOTH doing it to make music. They may (or may not) have different visions on how the music should be presented, and fans can choose to respect one vision over another, but both visions are valid.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:06:13 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »

For me the bottom line is, Brian's PR didn't mention Mike in the press release. They didn't blame Mike or even mention him by name. I just think taking a few innocuous words from a press release and using them as a platform to make the whole thing about you being wronged somehow is not a classy move. Yes Mike is criticised quite brutally, sometimes fairly but often unfairly. But NPP is looking like it's going to be a success, Brian and Mike are both still here, they should both be glad of that.

As other poster's have alluded to, Mike is doing what he wants as far as The Beach Boys go - he has that European tour coming up which I hear is selling well. If Brian starts sh*t-talking him in interviews and saying 'This would have been a Beach Boys album, but Mike has deprived you all of that.', fine that's the time to say your piece. It hasn't happened and I doubt it will.

Maybe Mike's just so used to being blamed for anything that goes wrong in the Beach Boys world that he's developed an itchy trigger finger. I think he fired off a round too fast this time around.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:22:01 PM by elnombre » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »

For me the bottom line is, Brian's PR didn't mention Mike in the press release. They didn't blame Mike or even mention him by name. I just think taking a few innocuous words from a press release and using them as a platform to make the whole thing about you being wronged somehow is not a classy move. Yes Mike is criticised quite brutally, sometimes fairly but often unfairly. But NPP is looking like it's going to be a success, Brian and Mike are both still here, they should both be glad of that.

As other poster's have alluded to, Mike is doing what he wants as far as The Beach Boys go - he has that European tour coming up which I hear is selling well. If Brian starts sh*t-talking him in interviews and saying 'This would have been a Beach Boys album, but Mike has deprived you all of that.', fine that's the time to say your piece. It hasn't happened and I doubt it will.

Maybe Mike's just so used to being blamed for anything that goes wrong in the Beach Boys world that he's developed an itchy trigger finger. I think he fired off a round too fast this time around.
Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »

Bossaroo "I do believe that Mike is motivated primarily by wealth and fame while Brian is motivated mainly by making music. In the words of Jeff Foskett: Brian is an artist, Mike is an entertainer. simple as that."

Well, that's not true. Mike has more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. Same goes for Brian. Mike's not out there doing it to accumulate cash. Both Mike and Brian could never play live again and live quite comfortably for the remainder of their lives. I think they're BOTH doing it to make music. They may (or may not) have different visions on how the music should be presented, and fans can choose to respect one vision over another, but both visions are valid.

unless you're Mike Love, you are simply stating an opinion like me.
you have no idea what motivates Mike Love. just because someone is already wealthy, doesn't mean they don't want to keep accumulating wealth and stay that way. that's kind of how being wealthy works. Mike has numerous ex-wives, children, and expenses I'm sure. and as I stated, he also does it for the fame and adulation. Mike loves being the frontman. he loves pointing at people in the audience. he loves flaunting his gold and he loves the attention of the ladies. he loves being a rock star.

Brian doesn't care a thing about being in the spotlight.

and there is quite a big difference between MAKING music and PERFORMING music. Mike doesn't really make music. he doesn't play an instrument. he doesn't arrange harmonies or write songs or melodies to speak of. what has he written in the last 20 years?? Pisces Brothers? there's really no comparison.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:00:46 PM by bossaroo » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:09:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx