gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:46:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 106818 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/mike-love-states-his-case

Interesting to hear Mike's detailed perspective.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:05:45 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »

Hmm… I don't think this is the end of this. Needs a conversation, and incisive questioning.  I believe everything Michael says here but it needs the input of Brian and Joe, with a lot of to-ing and fro'-ing, to arrive at the full - or at least a fuller - picture.

“We live in divisive times.”
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »

Hmmmm...the plot thickens!  Sounds like communication isn't really a strong suit with these guys.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

"... as I understand it, I could be wrong, but the suites, per Joe, for TWGMTR and NPP is the result of their collaborations from many years ago."

Interesting...

"I will elaborate more on the 50th anniversary and it's end in my book."

Fascinating...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:40:10 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:38 PM »

"As I understand it…" - again hinting at a lack of communication.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »

Tantalising.

Roll on Summer 2016.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:02:35 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »

Also I finding amazing that Mike came out with all this stuff after an an innocuous query about whether he liked Brian's new song.

Is he sending a message of conciliation to Brian and folks? Is David being used here, to convey the idea that there's been some kind of misunderstanding?

God, while I love this element of voyeurism, I also wish these grown up, world renowned musicians could manage to handle their dirty laundry behind closed doors.

Is there no one in their lives who doesn't know each party sufficiently well to act as mediator, bring them back together, with maybe a compromise here and there to oil the wheels?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »

I distinctly recall that in a previous examiner article (one that caused a small stir here), David had stated that such a piece would be upcoming.

Is David being "used" ? No more than anyone who's ever interviewed someone.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:31:56 AM »

Is there no one in their lives who doesn't know each party sufficiently well to act as mediator, bring them back together, with maybe a compromise here and there to oil the wheels?

I think Carl was the one who did a lot of that
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:38:15 AM »

yeah. fascinating stuff.  Roll Eyes

"When Brian is ready...I'm ready!"

when he's ready for WHAT exactly, Mike?
another album? to be a Beach Boy again? to head to The Room with you?

don't count on it. you had your chance and you blew it. no amount of backpedaling or bullsh!tting will change that.

and isn't it funny that Mike had time to read every word of Brian's press release and cook up a long-winded response, but he's been unable to listen to even a snatch of Brian (and Al and Dave's) new single which clocks in at just over 2 and a half mins?

and Mike was "stoked" about doing a covers album, but just kind of lukewarm about an album of Brian Wilson songs that went top 3. so much for the stance that Mike would only record if he were given more opportunity to write with Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 01:17:13 AM »

Mike 2015

How was this to be another Beach Boys album? There was never any discussions within the group either during, at the end or after the scheduled and agreed upon ending of the reunion tour.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/482551/beach-boys-talk-another-album-together

Mike Love on Band's Future, Label Reaction & the 'Only Drawback' of the Reunion

Though the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary reunion tour comes to an end on Sept. 28 in London, Mike Love says the quintet may, well, do it again, both on the road and in the recording studio.

"There's only one 50th anniversary, obviously, but... there's talk of us going and doing a return to the Grammys next year, and there's talk about doing another album together," Love -- who recently announced some fall dates in South America for the edition of the Beach Boys he and the group's Bruce Johnston take on the road -- tells Billboard.com. "There's nothing in stone, but there's a lot of ideas being floated around. So after this year, after completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we'll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we can come up with and can do in the future.".....

Discussions within the group? WTF were they doing between April and September?

Another album together....it doesn't even sound like they were on the same tour!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:26:09 AM »

As much as I stick up for Mike when it's deserved, I gotta call bullshit on this one. Why not just say 'hey, at one point we were going to continue on, but sh*t happened. It'll be in the book'?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:03 AM »

It sounds to me like everybody in the band was open to more but the more was just talk and nothing became concrete to change the status quo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »

Mike 2015

How was this to be another Beach Boys album? There was never any discussions within the group either during, at the end or after the scheduled and agreed upon ending of the reunion tour.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/482551/beach-boys-talk-another-album-together

Though the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary reunion tour comes to an end on Sept. 28 in London, Mike Love says the quintet may, well, do it again, both on the road and in the recording studio.

"There's only one 50th anniversary, obviously, but... there's talk of us going and doing a return to the Grammys next year, and there's talk about doing another album together," Love -- who recently announced some fall dates in South America for the edition of the Beach Boys he and the group's Bruce Johnston take on the road -- tells Billboard.com. "There's nothing in stone, but there's a lot of ideas being floated around. So after this year, after completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we'll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we can come up with and can do in the future.".....

Another album together....it doesn't even sound like they were on the same tour!

Yep. It's a little hard to blame the mysterious "forces" when Mike himself said pretty much the same thing in that Billboard article. Damage control is a bitch.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:50 AM »

As much as I stick up for Mike when it's deserved, I gotta call bullshit on this one. Why not just say 'hey, at one point we were going to continue on, but sh*t happened. It'll be in the book'?

Mike was given an opportunity to stick it to Brian and Joe, in a space guaranteed to get noticed, so he ran with it

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 06:05:56 AM »

Mike is full of sh*t as always. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »

Is anyone here really believing Mike actually said a word of this?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 06:41:06 AM »

Mike was given an opportunity to stick it to Brian and Joe, in a space guaranteed to get noticed, so he ran with it

Pretty much. I’m calling BS on this interview and Mike’s comments as well. If Mike’s book reads anything like this interview, it won’t answer or solve *anything* relating to the end of the C50. The whole interview (and I’m not exactly sure if Mike is prone to writing or saying the “NPP” acronym for Brian’s new album, that’s a bit odd) reads like a lawyer and a defensive internet Mike Love fanboy collaborated on a “response” to Brian’s new album.

Who is even *asking* the question of whether Mike is involved in Brian’s new album? Isn’t that the whole point? He’s *not* involved.

It seems to me like David Beard is running with this “everybody is pointing fingers at Mike for NOT being on this new album” idea when nobody else seemed to care, not even the “I’d give my left nut for this to have been a new Beach Boys album” crowd. Even those people never seemed to care beyond passively acknowledging that, yeah, it appears this *could have* theoretically been another Beach Boys album.

Did Mike Love *read* the press release for Brian’s new album? Did David Beard read a different press release to him or something? Saying Brian moved on to doing a solo album because a Beach Boys album “was not to be” is about as passive as the wording could possibly get. Mike thinks *that* comes across as bitter? Mike Love’s name is not even mentioned in the press release for Brian’s album.

What does Joe Thomas’ fear of flying (already having been documented years ago) have to do with working on a new album? Is there a non-passive aggressive reason for even bringing that up? And if MIke seems to be so familiar with the history of the Brian/Joe collaborations and knows they're so old, why would Joe need to, what, fly into each city during the tour to write NEW material with Brian? What is he even saying?

The biggest BS moment in this interview comes from Mike’s attitude of essentially “Whaaaa? Why would anyone think we might do another album?” The group collectively and individually were asked during the tour about future plans, which would include live and studio work. No definitive answers of any sort were ever provided. But to suggest it was never even discussed strikes me as pretty odd. There were leftover tracks from the TWGMTR, Joe Thomas mentioned in interviews before or during the tour that Brian specifically decided NOT to name the album “Summer’s Gone” because he didn’t want it to be the last BB album.

The whole interview reeks of going back to the drawing board and developing new, different, seemingly (but not really) more plausible reasons for the end of C50. Mike’s position seems to keep shifting. In previous interviews, he discussed disliking elements of the whole C50 project. Now it has shifted to a “what are you talking about? We never even discussed the possibility of ever doing another album?” argument.

And now the “offers” for more dates were “nebulous”? What happened to the reasoning that he didn’t want to do more of those dates because he didn’t feel the band should only play large venues? What about the fact that he had already booked shows for his old band? Would he have taken the offers for more C50 shows if they had not been “nebulous”? It doesn’t sound like it based on prior interviews, so why does it matter?

The whole interview reads like passing the buck on the issue of the end of the reunion, and he has made crystal clear in numerous interviews that another reunion like that is not something he’s into. Why not just say that?

It’s all sort of the same BS as always I guess, but this does nothing but fill me with dread for Mike’s book. If he lays it on this thick in terms of being defensive and passive aggressive, it’s going to be tough to get through the book.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:59:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »

Is anyone here really believing Mike actually said a word of this?

I would certainly assume it’s not as if Mike was not involved in this and someone else just wrote it in his name.

But the interview certainly reads like someone else is feeding him a lot of this information, both the background information (Mike seems to think Brian called him a d*ckhead in the press release for NPP or something) as well as the “arguments”, which as I mentioned previously, read like a mixture of internet fan defenses (the “autotune” jab for instance) and legal defenses. None of that may have happened in the slightest, but as good or bad as Mike interviews have been in the past, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one with him like this, where it reads almost like someone else is using Mike to further *their* agenda, like someone got all hot and bothered about the accusation that Mike could have helped make this another BB album.  

The interview reads like Mike is more upset about this not being a BB album (or the accusation, not actually present, that Mike could have made it a BB album) than Brian is or ever was.

Objectively, taking the “let’s all get along” stance, I would say Mike and David Beard are stirring more s**t about all of this than Brian or Brian’s album press release did. Very odd…..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:01:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 06:53:20 AM »

I distinctly recall that in a previous examiner article (one that caused a small stir here), David had stated that such a piece would be upcoming.

Is David being "used" ? No more than anyone who's ever interviewed someone.  Grin

A piece getting the bottom of the demise of C50, or of Mike’s perception among fans, would have (or could have) been an intensely interesting article. But to linger on the “Brian implied his new solo album could have been a BB album” thing is just really bizarre. David Beard seems to be the only one fixating on this, to the point of bring up Mike’s name in a review of the song “The Right Time.”

Mike’s right about one thing in his interview at least: He isn’t involved in Brian’s new album. It appears Beard wants to drag Mike into it and involve him for some reason.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 06:55:18 AM »

Mike 2015

Thank you! The tone in the interview was as if the idea of doing another BB album was some fantasy developed by Brian after the reunion broke up. How would just the *idea* of another album not at least be feasible to some degree? Weird….

ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »

Man, where to begin. For a band known for it's vocal ability, these guys are beyond tone deaf some times.  Sad

In addition to the fact that he directly contradicts himself from one paragraph to another, he also contradicts statements he made in 2012. And over what? A press release claiming that Brian intended to make a new Beach Boys album but ended up with a "solo album" (featuring 4 members of the Beach Boys, Matt and Jeff) because the band dissolved again? Which part of that is untrue? Wasn't there a Capitol/BBs recording contract that called for 3 albums or am I remembering incorrectly? I seem to recall someone suggesting that Brian's new contract was in essence an assumption of the remainder of the BB's contract.

More to the point, he ends with, "More on that in 2016 when you buy my book." Given the contradictions and seeming inaccuracies that a few have already noted, it seems less like Mike clearing things up and more like an opportunity to plug a book and make thinly veiled snipes at Joe and, presumably, Melinda.  

This passive aggressive behavior on both sides is really beneath the legacy of this band. What a shame. Where they could be working as a team to brandish their legacy (both creatively and financially), once again they fail to see the big picture.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »

"Brian wanted to do a rock album"

LONG LIVE PLEASURE ISLAND!  Cheesy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:06 AM »

Man, where to begin. For a band known for it's vocal ability, these guys are beyond tone deaf some times.  Sad

In addition to the fact that he directly contradicts himself from one paragraph to another, he also contradicts statements he made in 2012. And over what? A press release claiming that Brian intended to make a new Beach Boys album but ended up with a "solo album" (featuring 4 members of the Beach Boys, Matt and Jeff) because the band dissolved again? Which part of that is untrue? Wasn't there a Capitol/BBs recording contract that called for 3 albums or am I remembering incorrectly? I seem to recall someone suggesting that Brian's new contract was in essence an assumption of the remainder of the BB's contract.

More to the point, he ends with, "More on that in 2016 when you buy my book." Given the contradictions and seeming inaccuracies that a few have already noted, it seems less like Mike clearing things up and more like an opportunity to plug a book and make thinly veiled snipes at Joe and, presumably, Melinda.  

This passive aggressive behavior on both sides is really beneath the legacy of this band. What a shame. Where they could be working as a team to brandish their legacy (both creatively and financially), once again they fail to see the big picture.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how the Capitol contracts went. But many have said the deal was for two albums, and the live album satisfied that, and Brian's album is on a new solo deal.

As with the end of the C50 tour, I guess Mike is saying he was not contractually obligated to do another BB album. I don't think anyone has ever suggested otherwise. That doesn't address whether they could have done another album, or who wanted to do another one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:09:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »

"Brian wanted to do a rock album"

LONG LIVE PLEASURE ISLAND!  Cheesy

It is kind of amusing that Mike seems to think an album of covers might have been a better idea than an album of new songs.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx