gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:28:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 106805 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »

And it's not a matter of Myke Luv being a great guy or bad person that's the point .... It's the extent to which some of you obssess over it while ignoring some awful stuff a guy like Dennis did while in the same band ... Someone blew off my Stones comparison earlier but can you just imagine if Mike said Brian had a small penis in print??? ... Actually, I can imagine because you all react as though he has said such a thing ....

Point is: can some of us accept Mike for being a flawed human being yet still love his band and be fans of his work? Yes! And it is extremely easy .... The bullying and sociopathic hatred is what must be truly hard.

It's always amazed and amused me that people who post nothing but their hatred of Mike & everything he stands for can still bear to listen to, and actively enjoy, any BB song where he takes the lead, or the bass, or is even known to be on but inaudible (which at a rough guess would be some 95% of the catalog). Then I realised they're major league hypocrites, of course.  Grin

Hey, cause I'm such a sweetheart, here's a list of Beach Boys tracks I'm pretty sure aren't in any way contaminated by Mike's presence (does writing the lyric count ?) for the Usual Suspects to fully enjoy, safe in the knowledge that they're not in any way being offended:

Moon Dawg*
Misirlou*
Honky Tonk*
Surf Jam*
The Rocking Surfer*
Boogie Woodie*
Your Summer Dream
Denny's Drums*
Carl's Big Chance*
Blue Christmas
Winter Symphony
Morning Christmas
In The Back Of My Mind
Summer Means New Love
Let's Go Away For A While
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No
'Trombone Dixie'
Passing By
Be Still
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Diamond Head
Wake The World
Be Here In The Morning
Friends
Little Bird
The Nearest Faraway Place
Make It Good
In My Car

* may have been in the studio while track was recorded: procede with caution

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2015, 01:08:52 AM »

All jokes aside, that'd make a pretty good CD in all honesty.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »

Re Wake The World and procede with caution advice.

I know there is evidence to the contrary, but sure sounds like Mike's in there to me, particularly on mor-nins and daw-nins of the last chorus.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2015, 01:44:28 AM »

It's almost like Mike Love says these kind of things on purpose so people will continue seeing him as the "evil one", in the name of keeping Mike Love relevant..

He could have easily said "I wish my cousin Brian the best of luck in his future endeavors and hopefully will one day be able to collaborate with him again" but instead spews this same vitriol that people have come to expect from him despite his "transcendental meditation, good vibrations, I spent time with The Beatles in India" personality he wishes people would equate Mike Love to.

Because what gets people talking more? Mike Love wishing the best of luck to people, or Mike Love calling Mick Jagger "chickenshit"?

No mas, por favor.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2015, 02:12:32 AM »

Oh, stop it...
He called Mick a chickenshit 27 years ago! Give him a break. There's been enough punishment to the Lovester already on this thread. The majority of posts are a rehash of the first 10-20. No new ideas. All the sh*t hit the fan like by page 5. There's not sh*t left.

I mean, with gems like this, a line is being crossed. Constantly. Redundantly. Endlessly.

"I've like [sic] to ask him what it's like being so bald while being a cousin to people with such luscious heads of hairs, and if he'd trade lifetime of Buber-creativity and mental illness for having enough hair to never have to seek out a baseball cap,  but have no interest in signing up for his "vibe room"."

It must suck to be a Beach Boys fan while hating one of them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:20:04 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2015, 02:29:00 AM »

All jokes aside, that'd make a pretty good CD in all honesty.

What would the CD be called though?
Lack of Love?
A Quick One While He's Away?
Mike's Gone to the Beach?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2015, 02:36:59 AM »

What would the CD be called though?
A Quick One While He's Away?

There's a man at the door called Townshend would like a word...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2015, 02:42:06 AM »

Grin Mike's lawyers would eat Pete for breakfast.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:45 AM »

Well, when he was a wee lad, the Dead Sea was merely sick

LOL
 My wife used that one on me :D

Bobby Heenan wants his joke back. 😉

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2015, 05:18:16 AM »

And it's not a matter of Myke Luv being a great guy or bad person that's the point .... It's the extent to which some of you obssess over it while ignoring some awful stuff a guy like Dennis did while in the same band ... Someone blew off my Stones comparison earlier but can you just imagine if Mike said Brian had a small penis in print??? ... Actually, I can imagine because you all react as though he has said such a thing ....

Point is: can some of us accept Mike for being a flawed human being yet still love his band and be fans of his work? Yes! And it is extremely easy .... The bullying and sociopathic hatred is what must be truly hard.

It's always amazed and amused me that people who post nothing but their hatred of Mike & everything he stands for can still bear to listen to, and actively enjoy, any BB song where he takes the lead, or the bass, or is even known to be on but inaudible (which at a rough guess would be some 95% of the catalog). Then I realised they're major league hypocrites, of course.  Grin

Hey, cause I'm such a sweetheart, here's a list of Beach Boys tracks I'm pretty sure aren't in any way contaminated by Mike's presence (does writing the lyric count ?) for the Usual Suspects to fully enjoy, safe in the knowledge that they're not in any way being offended:

Moon Dawg*
Misirlou*
Honky Tonk*
Surf Jam*
The Rocking Surfer*
Boogie Woodie*
Your Summer Dream
Denny's Drums*
Carl's Big Chance*
Blue Christmas
Winter Symphony
Morning Christmas
In The Back Of My Mind
Summer Means New Love
Let's Go Away For A While
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No
'Trombone Dixie'
Passing By
Be Still
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Diamond Head
Wake The World
Be Here In The Morning
Friends
Little Bird
The Nearest Faraway Place
Make It Good
In My Car

* may have been in the studio while track was recorded: procede with caution

Wipe Out (with the Fat Lads)?

“We live in divisive times.”
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 28, 2015, 05:46:20 AM »

Class Dismissed!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »

I'll refer back to a great post by Ontor Pertawst from a couple months ago when this same tired argument came up:

David Walliams is insufferable, no question. Mike Love is a bit of a dick and amusing to poke fun at, but one can enjoy his 60s-70s vocals and contribution to the harmony stack without flying into a homicidal rage. Is it really so black and white for you?

Francis Bacon seemed like a sh*t, lovely painter tho. I'm a huge Burroughs fan, but he did kill his wife and so on. Wagner! Picasso! Spike Milligan! Etc etc. I loved Mr. Show and Arrested Development even if David Cross came off like a drunken jerkoff in person.  It's perfectly possible to dislike someone personally who made or contributed to great artwork without being a hypocrite.

You haven't caught anybody in a devious logic hole and exposed them, it's simply a terrible argument.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »

My point is that The Troll Twins don't just dislike Mike, they hate him: to go by their posts here (and in one case, elsewhere), the mere mention of his name provokes bloodshot eyes and foaming mouths. The mererest sight of Walliam's flabby, smug visage has exactly the same effect on me, as does the impression of a cat being castrated without anaesthetic that Morrissey prat believes is singing... the difference is that I turn the TV off, or leave the room, or change the radio channel. I don't even pretend to so much as tolerate them, much less like.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 28, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »

I get that you are implying that I am not a BBs fan because I don't like Mike Love. Well it's really about the music when I listen to 1960s stuff with love. He was pretty good when he was a actual band member, not the dictator of the group's music and image against BW's wishes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »

My point is that The Troll Twins don't just dislike Mike, they hate him: to go by their posts here (and in one case, elsewhere), the mere mention of his name provokes bloodshot eyes and foaming mouths. The mererest sight of Walliam's flabby, smug visage has exactly the same effect on me, as does the impression of a cat being castrated without anaesthetic that Morrissey prat believes is singing... the difference is that I turn the TV off, or leave the room, or change the radio channel. I don't even pretend to so much as tolerate them, much less like.
Speaking of "flabby, smug visage"... nah, don't need to pounce on how you just set yourself up for a genuine shot that would be miles over your head. It appears, however, that you:

1. spend your "valuable" time reading our posts.

2. ponder for a time  about how to try to formulate a snide response.

3. post your response only after spellchecking, searching for punctuation errors and lastly insuring that said content will thoroughly insult the individual(s) your one half star dreck is aimed at.

4. wander off and finish your bacon sandwich.

Whether or not we hate myKe luHv is really our business isn't it?? But if it gets your dander up then it certainly was well worth it.   Smokin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »

For me, it's a matter of hating the sin rather than the sinner. I'm prepared to give credit where it's due - Mike contributed some good BVs and his earlier lead vocals sound a lot better than he does now, not just because of the natural result of ageing but because of those bad habits he has picked up ('wheeennnn' for example). I like some of his lyrics, in particular All I Wanna Do. However, IMO Mike has made some serious errors of judgment (I know someone will point out that we all do but Mike's helped to alter the direction of the band in a negative way IMO) and too often comes across as resenting his cousin's success.

Mike and Bruce's BBs are enjoyed by many so best of luck to them.  But I have no wish to see another reunion - though if it happened I'd go, just to see Brian and Al. Brian is still creating interesting music and  with his band has been performing the greatest hits better than the Beach Boys do. The focus should now be on his forthcoming album and yet the article that started this hijacked attention and got it back to the past again.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »

you've got bacon?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »

I get that you are implying that I am not a BBs fan because I don't like Mike Love. Well it's really about the music when I listen to 1960s stuff with love. He was pretty good when he was a actual band member, not the dictator of the group's music and image against BW's wishes.

Since that never happened, you may stand down. I bet that is a relief for you.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »

I reckon this thread is now drained of blood… can itnpleasednbe locked and retained as evidence in case of any murder investigation?

“We live in divisive times.”
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »

Bacon ??!!     mmm, Ham.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 28, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »

Hey, who doesn't like bacon?
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #321 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »

Could we possibly move along now from all this so that we might notice that Brian posted a wonderful treat on his FB page regarding NPP in celebration of his page's 200K likes (now 200K plus)?  As Ang stated, it's time to drop this distracting sideshow and re-focus on the great news that we're about to get a new record from Brian and someone can win a signed deluxe package of NPP on his FB page?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »

Since that never happened, you may stand down. I bet that is a relief for you.

Just because of a complex technicality, involving not wanting to screw over the bank account of his late brother's family, plus wanting to avoid surely massive legal headaches, that doesn't make it not true. BW made it pretty damn clear that his own extraction from the group this time around was an act by a certain Mr Love that happened against his (Brian's) own wishes (despite the BRI setup, which I'm well aware of, and the presumptive mentioning of which will not help your "argument").

Again, the sad truth of the matter leaves a bad taste in my mouth; I couldn't bring myself to buy the C50 live CD and DVD, which is saying something (though, in addition to being very bummed about how things ended, the horrible production of those items was a factor as well). But this does not affect my enjoyment of any of BB material with or without Love, and it does not make me have a lack of appreciation for Mike's many achievements and contributions over the years.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:17:12 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »

Technically - he, and the touring group work for BRI, and they set forth the terms. It has been debated ad nauseum...Mike plays what is in the catalog, except for what he may have written, and he appears to be not allowed to record as The Beach Boys.  Those terms were set forth by agreement.  

Until and unless BRI changes that, and he follows whatever terms are enumerated, he keeps the license.  He can't dictate the image.  He has to conform his performance to BB-style music.  Period.  He can't do opera, punk rock or rap.

And, FYI, the club Kokomo thing, uses a backdrop that is mostly vintage BB's.  It isn't all about Mike.  It is all about the band, as a whole.  We don't decide what they do.  BRI's members decide.  It is their long-established business.  

That isn't to say that they can't decide in the future to regroup again (and I love pleasant surprises like that!) but C50 was a function of "status quo ante" with an "apparently" (because I have not read it) separate agreement just for that occasion.

"Status quo ante" means going back to the earlier conditions, prior to the "special event" that was C50.  And, he says great stuff about Brian every time he performs.  The music is the star of the show, not Mike.  He proudly "showcases it." A little objectivity goes a long way.

We are blessed and have a lot of good stuff to enjoy right now, such as NPP and the movie, while being able to see BB music "live." And all that vintage YouTube stuff showing up!

That is a win-win, in my book.   Wink

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:52:32 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »

In all seriousness , it's really a shame that people get so worked up about this because in the not so distant future you're going to hear one of these guys speak at the others funeral and they're going to say how much they loved the person and how talented the person was. I understand that people on this message board like to bitch and make their case for Brian or Mike but it's like a Demorcrat  trying to convince a tea partyier that Obama is not a Muslim. It's a great year to be a fan, (Paul Dano may even get nominated for the film) with all the  things we know for sure are happening. I'm 60, I've been a fan since 1969 and I remember all the dark and lean years of being a BB fan and this ain't one of 'em. All this other stuff is petty, immature bullshit.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx