gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:49:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 105897 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »

if you're going to call people out on saying certain things, make sure those things were actually said, sir.

and your statement that "Brian was either at home doing nothing or being brainwashed by Landy" was not only ridiculous, but cruel and flippant. below the belt even.

Cruel and flippant? Give me a break. Your trying to start something that is not there because your logic fails. Brian was out of the picture and Carl and Alan were right there with Mike business as usual. You know damn well what I meant and your response was lame. Being a huge Beach Boy fan I'm a huge Brian fan. I've seen him live 5 times and the Beach Boys 20. And for the record, not one of the 20 Beach Boys shows I've seen was the Mike and Bruce version. Not one. I'm looking forward to NPP and especially the film.

When it comes to the Beach Boys I pride myself on keeping it in perspective. A really great band that has been great to be a huge fan of. I can reach for Sunflower, All Summer Long, or In Concert and will love them as much now as I did in the past till I'm gone.

What do guys like you pride yourself on concerning the Beach Boys?  Bitching about Mike Love? Thinking you know more about their personal lives and dealings than anyone should give a crap about?

Like I told Smile Brian ....it is sooooo old. But like OSD some people just won't quit.

it was a disrespectful comment and you know it. it's also a misrepresentation and a myth. as a Beach Boy/Brian fan you already know this. you make a sweeping and false comment regarding Brian's personal life, and then you try to call us out for thinking we know more about their personal lives and dealings than anyone should? rich indeed.

I don't bitch about Mike Love every chance I get. I'm not criticizing him on every other thread on this board. but this thread concerns Mike's very recent statements, which come off sounding bitter, defensive, insulting, and downright false to varying degrees. of course people are going to respond to that.

if you can't stand the heat, stay off the sand

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:04:23 PM by bossaroo » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »

I wonder if some of these kids are Stones fans. I would advise against it!!!! Don't read Keith's book!!! .... But alas, all the other rock stars in history are free to be complete bastards to each other but you're endiessly butt-hurt by some vague Mike comments because it suits a fairy tale you get down on your knees for in the church of Brian ... Ya all need to have Dennis take you out on the town for a couple nights .... That might open your eyes a bit ... Hell, I'd go as far as to suggest some of these folks don't even really like BRIAN!!! They like the story is all .... Good guy/bad guy mythology is powerful stuff

last time I checked, Mick and Keith were still able to continue touring and recording together. I mean could you imagine just Mick or just Keith going out as The Rolling Stones? no one would take it seriously! but we're supposed to be fine with the current situation of Mike Love touring as The Beach Boys, even when Brian and Al have both stated publicly that they would like to be included from this point on.

Stones also stayed a tight and loyal (to each other and the cause)  performing entity right from the beginning .... The Beach Boys did not ... You gonna blame Mike for that?

no. I will however blame Mike for the horrible way he handled the end of C50 and his contradictory and disrespectful statements about his bandmates ever since.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:16:22 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »

Good points on the good/evil mythology. This saga some people want to believe and reproduce, of a troubled genius who can do no wrong only to be constantly screwed up by an eternal asshole who can do no right, is as tiresome as it is compelling. Even in its unfairness and inaccuracy.

But some people arrive to a certain point in their fandom, of such de-humanized puritanism, such cold and indolent supercilousness, such easiness to pass moral judgement, such lack of sympathy for Mike Love's character (the same sympathy we demand from others when our actions and words are being examined), that if Mike were to donate his entire fortune to the poor and become Brian Wilson's butler, he would still get backslashed.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »

The only people who like this grim side of Mike are contrarians, cementheads, glue-sniffers, and Young Republicans.

LOL
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »

if Mike were to donate his entire fortune to the poor and become Brian Wilson's butler, he would still get backslashed.

At the very least it would be a good reality show idea. Mike Love could serve as Brian and Melinda's butler for six weeks as a character building exercise with all profits going to some obscure foundation the Maharishi set up. Get Al Jardine to come over and ask for a beverage they don't have in stock. Hilarity ensues.

For extra character building: it's rude to wear hats indoors. Especially for butlers. No baseball caps!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:13:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »

if you're going to call people out on saying certain things, make sure those things were actually said, sir.

and your statement that "Brian was either at home doing nothing or being brainwashed by Landy" was not only ridiculous, but cruel and flippant. below the belt even.

Cruel and flippant? Give me a break. Your trying to start something that is not there because your logic fails. Brian was out of the picture and Carl and Alan were right there with Mike business as usual. You know damn well what I meant and your response was lame. Being a huge Beach Boy fan I'm a huge Brian fan. I've seen him live 5 times and the Beach Boys 20. And for the record, not one of the 20 Beach Boys shows I've seen was the Mike and Bruce version. Not one. I'm looking forward to NPP and especially the film.

When it comes to the Beach Boys I pride myself on keeping it in perspective. A really great band that has been great to be a huge fan of. I can reach for Sunflower, All Summer Long, or In Concert and will love them as much now as I did in the past till I'm gone.

What do guys like you pride yourself on concerning the Beach Boys?  Bitching about Mike Love? Thinking you know more about their personal lives and dealings than anyone should give a crap about?

Like I told Smile Brian ....it is sooooo old. But like OSD some people just won't quit.

it was a disrespectful comment and you know it. it's also a misrepresentation and a myth. as a Beach Boy/Brian fan you already know this. you make a sweeping and false comment regarding Brian's personal life, and then you try to call us out for thinking we know more about their personal lives and dealings than anyone should? rich indeed.

I don't bitch about Mike Love every chance I get. I'm not criticizing him on every other thread on this board. but this thread concerns Mike's very recent statements, which come off sounding bitter, defensive, insulting, and downright false to varying degrees. of course people are going to respond to that.

You do bitch about Mike. A lot.  It's kind of mean too.  He posted your pic at his show with a "Thanks Bossaroo"  and now you post it and make fun of him that he did that. He was having a bit of fun and you go and do that?  That is high school bullying and plain nasty. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »

What is this good vs evil crap? Even the most ardent Mike Love haters would be hard pressed to find any annoyance with Brian, Al, and David becoming part of the Beach Boys band again. Look at the C50 - who among us wanted turmoil to ensue because of that reunion? Who among us was pleading for a good-vs-evil story? Who among us was pissed that Mike was penning songs with Brian again? NO ONE. This 'Good vs Evil' is the most bullshit argument that has come from the Klub Kokomo crowd.

I would LOVE to have Bruce's vocals on this record. I would LOVE to hear some Mike Love bass notes on Sail Away.

If there is a good vs evil story here, it's not because of us. We're not the ones calling Brian "controlled" in the media. We're not the ones who left Brian and Al feeling as though they were fired from their own band. We're not the ones taking cheap shots at Joe Thomas. In the time it took Mike to write that email response he could have actually listened to the fucking song in question. He could've easily deduced if his fears of auto-tune were rational. Or he could've easily said "No, haven't heard it yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing it" - instead we get a page long answer that as Bossaroo said, sounds bitter, defensive, insutling, and downright false to varying degrees.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

You do bitch about Mike. A lot.  It's kind of mean too.  He posted your pic at his show with a "Thanks Bossaroo"  and now you post it and make fun of him that he did that. He was having a bit of fun and you go and do that?  That is high school bullying and plain nasty. 

In fairness, bossaroo was kinda poking fun of Mike initially and portraying him as a Dark Lord of the Sith capable of frying people with his evil Force Lightning, so it's not his fault Mike's people didn't get a geeky Star Wars reference and incorporated it into Good Vibrations.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »

What is this good vs evil crap? Even the most ardent Mike Love haters would be hard pressed to find any annoyance with Brian, Al, and David becoming part of the Beach Boys band again. Look at the C50 - who among us wanted turmoil to ensue because of that reunion? Who among us was pleading for a good-vs-evil story? Who among us was pissed that Mike was penning songs with Brian again? NO ONE. This 'Good vs Evil' is the most bullshit argument that has come from the Klub Kokomo crowd.

I would LOVE to have Bruce's vocals on this record. I would LOVE to hear some Mike Love bass notes on Sail Away.

If there is a good vs evil story here, it's not because of us. We're not the ones calling Brian "controlled" in the media. We're not the ones who left Brian and Al feeling as though they were fired from their own band. We're not the ones taking cheap shots at Joe Thomas. In the time it took Mike to write that email response he could have actually listened to the fucking song in question. He could've easily deduced if his fears of auto-tune were rational. Or he could've easily said "No, haven't heard it yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing it" - instead we get a page long answer that as Bossaroo said, sounds bitter, defensive, insutling, and downright false to varying degrees.
Exactly, this whole narrative is a reflection of Mike's bitter ego and refusal to see BW do anything creative without him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2015, 02:30:45 PM »

Ok. But you just proved my point. Perhaps you could delete your last paragraph?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »

I can stand the heat fine but am fed up with the BS. Because I respond to something YOU did say does not mean every statement in a post is directly talking about you. And you were way off topic days ago IN THIS THREAD when you made YOUR comments abut Mike making money ect. and that had NOTHING to do with how he handled the C50. Brian spent years doing nothing regarding the BB's and a guy named Landy drugged the hell out of him in an attempt to brainwash him into thinking he needed him to exist. If you find those facts disrespectful that's your hang up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »

AGD, Cam Mott, Pinder, Paul JB, and others are the great wall of kokomo. Mike can do no wrong with them despite shitting on the BBs name everytime he uses it in M&B.

Christ on a tandem but you do talk some absolute fucking nonsense: you should stop hanging around your fellow troll, his problems are rubbing off.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:42:19 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

Yes he is.

No he isn't.

Yes he is.

No he isn't

YES...he IS!

NO..he ISN'T

IS!!!  Angry

ISN'T  Evil

Is SO Wall

IS NOT!!! Angry

Jedi Duel   Jedi Duel  Jedi Duel

ad infinitum... ... ... +  forever and a day... ... ...

( Listening )

He IS. Wink

Huh Why? Huh

That's just WHO he is.  Nothing new.  No surprises.  It's not something out of left field.  It's been like this for longer than dirt.

It would appear that we ALL agree that we WISH it wasn't so.

group hug

But it is.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:44:23 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »

You clowns that claim to be Beach Boys fans but bitch about Mike Love NON-STOP and are annoyed by songs like I Get Around really are a joke. Get a life...get a new band....or get help.

I don't think I've *ever* run into even the most blatantly anti-Mike person possible who said they disliked the song "I Get Around."

I've seen some people here pegged as "anti-Mike" who have literally celebrated and praised Mike's lyrics.

Mike's actual musical and lyrical sensibilities have nothing to do with the current article being discussed. Mike *could* make some cogent points about C50. Ideally, I think most of us would have liked to see some true Wilson/Love compositions. I'd love to hear even one, just to see how one of those "in a room alone" songs would actually sound.

IGA was just mentioned in the annoying songs thread a few days ago. As well as several other early classics.

Well, gosh, it's almost as if each and every member here has different tastes from one another. I find it odd that a fan would think IGA is annoying, but to call them a joke because of this? I'm not sure these are the people who need to find a life Roll Eyes

The guy was questioning who thought that about IGA as if it was not so. Read it all ok. And the get a life quote you are taking out of context by only mentioning the IGA part. There are people here nearly every day that are all "oh Brian" but pretty much look down on a lot of things Beach Boys, like the 62-66 period and hate Mike ect. Brian is/was the Beach boys so that makes no sense. I stand by my statement of get a new band or a life if one takes time on a nearly daily basis to come here and gripe about gems like IGA and Mike and the rest. I like Van Halen a fair amount.... but I sure as hell would not join a Van Halen message board and gripe about David Lee Roth every day or dismiss the songs that were hits for them. If I started doing that I would think I needed....a life.

Amusement Parks USA...now that's annoying.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »

On another note did anyone see David Crosby's tweet about ML?

he just added the word 'exactly' https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/status/571087496739553281

burn.

David Crosby has no room to criticise anyone ever. To my knowledge, Mr Love was never an annoying hippie blowhard who spent 20 years as a crack addicit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »

Mike is his mid-70's now, and has said he no longer enjoys making records. If he would say, "hey, I just didn't want to spend 2 years making a record that people will be listening to for free on spotify, working with people I don't get along with -- I 'm too old for that crap, it's not how I want to spend my twilight years" , I would totally respect that.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »

No one ever seems to remember that while Brian was either at home doing nothing or being brainwashed by Landy the rest of the BOYS were all about business as usual ..... not just Mike.

I'd imagine that has a lot to do with the fact that anyone with an ounce of sensitivity wouldn't describe battling severe mental health issues as 'doing nothing'.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

he just added the word 'exactly' https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/status/571087496739553281

burn.

David Crosby has no room to criticise anyone ever. To my knowledge, Mr Love was never an annoying hippie blowhard who spent 20 years as a crack addicit.

No, Mike was just an annoying hippie-wannabe blowhard.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:16:22 PM by Andy Botwin » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »

Ok. But you just proved my point. Perhaps you could delete your last paragraph?

You're saying we want a good vs evil story. We don't. I'm saying "If" there is a good vs evil story Mike isn't doing to much to quell those thoughts.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »

Mike is his mid-70's now, and has said he no longer enjoys making records. If he would say, "hey, I just didn't want to spend 2 years making a record that people will be listening to for free on spotify, working with people I don't get along with -- I 'm too old for that crap, it's not how I want to spend my twilight years" , I would totally respect that.

Such frankness would actually be refreshing. Mike has never struck me as being the self-deprecating type (jokes in concert about how old the band's songs are don't count, nor do references to how others think he's "big bad Mike Love"), but he could easily be honest and frank and throw in a little self-deprecating humor. I'm not saying he should or that he should be expected to, but since folks have been alluding to hypothetical scenarios where fans would be less annoyed, that sort of scenario is one.

A number of the BBs have, over the years, had a tough time finding where they want to be on the spectrum that has "blunt frankness" on one end and "slick shiny it's-all-good PR" on the other. So you get these weird moments where they're kind of being frank and blunt, but they're coating it with a candy shell of BS or lawyer-esque mumbo-jumbo, so they just end up looking like more of a d**k than if they had just been honest and straightforward in the first place. One can be a "straight shooter" without being overtly mean-spirited about it.

That Goldmine interview from back in 1992 with Mike was actually quite refreshing. There was very little if any PR coating on that one. I didn't agree with a lot of it, but I respected the openness and frankness quite a bit. One of my all-time favorite BB-related interview bits is in that one. Asked about Brian's 1988 solo album:

Did you like his first solo album?

No.

You didn't like it?

f*** no.

This exchange from that same 1992 interview is also kind of funny in light of more recent developments:

So I guess there's no chance for a book?

Who would want to take the fucking time to go through garbage like that just to rectify garbage.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:25:21 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »

burn.

One needs hair to be a hippie.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »

burn.

One needs hair to be a hippie.

You just called Cros a hippie and he, too, had a similar hairline to Mike's. Which is it?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

Croz still had hair in the 60s. Mike started receeding at age 12.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »

I don't hate Mike. He might have flaws but we all do. He is Brian's cousin and a huge part of my favorite band ever.  You clowns that claim to be Beach Boys fans but bitch about Mike Love NON-STOP and are annoyed by songs like I Get Around really are a joke. Get a life...get a new band....or get help.

If you have a problem with me Paul, at least have the balls to call me out by name, y'dig? Hell, I'll even give you my Skype number and you can say it to my face if it'll please you. Say 'Elnombre really is a joke because he said he'd played out a few of the old hits so he needs to get a life, get a new band and get help.' Of course, trying to 'get help' is 'doing nothing' according to you, so I'd be wasting my time.  angel

My comments on 'I Get Around' and 'Surfin' U.S.A.'

Aww I don't hate them. They're great songs. I've just heard 'em enough.

But - of course I know they're there because they're crowd pleasers. And hey, when you're there in the crowd it's easy to get swept up in them.

Anyway, heartily looking forward to hearing why being a little bored of a few of the always-played hits prohibits me from having an opinion on a Mike Love interview and why you feel the need to launch personal attacks (the very thing you claim to be oh so valiantly railing against) on other forum members rather than say, oh I don't know, responding to the comments they made in the relevant thread. Stay classy.  Hello
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Surely it's time that someone closes and locks the doors on this thread.

I enjoy some Mike griping as much the next fan, but I'm getting tired of this nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:14:37 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx