gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:05:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach boys vs Rolling Stones: Which band has the most studio albums?  (Read 5037 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »

thinking about his tonight.    Around 30 depending on how you count it.    Can this be sorted  fairly?    Talking about releases of original Material for the first time.    that brings into question a few albums from each band.   thoughts on this?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

got to be the Stones...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »

The Rolling Stones has 22 studio albums (from The Rolling Stones in 1964 to A Bigger Bang in 2004) and The Beach Boys has 29 (from Surfin' Safari in 1962 to That's Why God Made The Radio in 2012). So even if you take out the albums consisting of covers, The Beach Boys have released more studio albums than The Stones.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »

In reviewing the stones history, and knowing the BB's history, I thought it was close enough to deserve scrutiny.   just off the top of my head, for example, Flowers.   and with the Beachboys, still Crusin.    neither are all original.   This may be a question for someone, like for example, just off the top of my head, AGD.    both bands included old material, sometimes previously unreleased, on subsequent lps.   But when I count  legitimate new lps, new material, I come up with around  28 each.  One considers 20/20 or something like tattoo you as questionable but ligitimate as a "new" release.   I count with that in mind.   still seems to be around the same number.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »

And then there's also The Rolling Stone's UK vs US discography, where they did the same thing they did to the Beatles, leading to albums like Flowers...

Either way, The Beach Boys still have more, although the average quality of the albums is still up for debate.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »

In reviewing the stones history, and knowing the BB's history, I thought it was close enough to deserve scrutiny.   just off the top of my head, for example, Flowers.   and with the Beachboys, still Crusin.    neither are all original.   This may be a question for someone, like for example, just off the top of my head, AGD.    both bands included old material, sometimes previously unreleased, on subsequent lps.   But when I count  legitimate new lps, new material, I come up with around  28 each.  One considers 20/20 or something like tattoo you as questionable but ligitimate as a "new" release.   I count with that in mind.   still seems to be around the same number.

Flowers isn't a legitamite Stones studio album anyway, it's a compilation. Always has been and always will be. As for the UK vs US debate, I'm taking the side which the band originally comes from. Hence, why I says 22 instead of 24 Stones albums.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:45:00 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »

Using their original discographies (i.e. those released in their home countries as they intended), I make it:

Beach Boys - 28 (including Party !)
Stones - 22

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

So then:   This must put the BeachBoys at or near the top of the list for most studio lps released of any BAND from the rock era releasing largely original material.  surprisingly,   Hardcore BB fan that I have been  for these 5 plus decades,  I don't think this has occurred to me.  I suppose if you count CSNY in all of their configurations and solo work, you would come up with a larger figure but what single band surpasses the BeachBoys?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »

I was a big Stones fan back in the day.  I REALLY loved the Aftermath album which is where they began to use their own material exclusively...or close to it.  A '66 master-piece album.  Then as the 70s progressed I became less and less interested and wondered why they were still going.  Still every now and then something worked a little better...and A Bigger Bang, I thought, was absolutely great.

The Boys...same deal...a master-pice album in '66, a few decent outings after '74 and then came  TWGMTR...not to mention the release of Smile...and some great previously unreleased standout songs.  Both impressive bands.  Both with a legthy and often distinguished body of work.  Both stocked with a controversial roster.  Both with lost soldiers.  Both with key leaders who somehow pissed on the grim reaper's shoes and still got away.  Both with 'odd' lead singers who egos and conquests would likely compare with accuracy.

And The Stones have Charlie and the Boys have Al.

The Boys have a far more substantial list of solo efforts though.  [and I ain't just talkin' units]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »

So then:   This must put the BeachBoys at or near the top of the list for most studio lps released of any BAND from the rock era releasing largely original material.  surprisingly,   Hardcore BB fan that I have been  for these 5 plus decades,  I don't think this has occurred to me.  I suppose if you count CSNY in all of their configurations and solo work, you would come up with a larger figure but what single band surpasses the BeachBoys?

I think Frank Zappa had a few more. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

I think Frank Zappa had a few more. Smiley

Except Frank Zappa is a solo artist, not a band. And The Mothers Of Invention didn't release as many albums as either The Beach Boys or the Stones.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:43:59 AM »

So then:   This must put the BeachBoys at or near the top of the list for most studio lps released of any BAND from the rock era releasing largely original material. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_discography

Please delete my account
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

My count says Beach Boys 29 to the Stones 24.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »

Considering that Aftermath or Decembers Children is where to Stones start cuz prior to that they were a cover band. And if say the BBs have 29 then yer counting Still Cruisin, Party, So Tough etc ? Cuz I count more like 24,5.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »

Considering that Aftermath or Decembers Children is where to Stones start cuz prior to that they were a cover band. And if say the BBs have 29 then yer counting Still Cruisin, Party, So Tough etc ? Cuz I count more like 24,5.

Why do you mention So Tough? Is it not a Beach Boys album of original and new (at the time) material? Of course So Tough has to be included!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »

My count says Beach Boys 29 to the Stones 24.

The Stones has 22.

Why do you mention So Tough? Is it not a Beach Boys album of original and new (at the time) material? Of course So Tough has to be included!

Yeah, agreed with So Tough. plus December's Children isn't a proper Stones album. Even the band members are dismissive of it. And just because an album includes covers doesn't mean it's not a proper album of theirs.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »

No.   One cannot dismiss cover songs from counting as parts of legitimate studio albums.   the B eatles did numerous covers of American songs on several lps early on as did many Brit Invasion acts.  As did the BeachBoys.    In fact, my firstp  hearing of some of those American classics were on Brit Invasion group lps.  Beatles, Animals, Searchers etc
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »

Don't forget the Stones' "Could You Walk On The Water", unreleased from 1966.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »

I'd say studio albums count regardless of whether they're covers or originals. Compilations wouldn't. I guess if you're gonna count Still Cruisin' for The Boys you'd have to count Forty Licks, with its 4 new songs (IIRC) for the Stones. I'd count those as EPs I guess.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »

I'd say studio albums count regardless of whether they're covers or originals. Compilations wouldn't. I guess if you're gonna count Still Cruisin' for The Boys you'd have to count Forty Licks, with its 4 new songs (IIRC) for the Stones. I'd count those as EPs I guess.

Except while most of Still Cruisin' consists of original songs, most of Forty Licks consists of songs throughout their career. Like GRRR (which features two new songs), they are generally considered to be compilations.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 12:29:19 AM »

Don't forget the Stones' "Could You Walk On The Water", unreleased from 1966.

Ah, well, in that case...

Smile
Reverberation

"2nd Brother Album"
New Album
Adult/Child
Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys

Game, set and match.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »

Still Cruisin' - 10 tracks, 3 more than a year old: 70% new.
Forty Licks - 40 tracks, 36 more than a year old: 10% new.

You were saying ?

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 04:59:39 AM »

That they both have 4 songs that don't have studio versions that had already appeared on other albums and that 4 songs isn't a full album. I was under the impression that only 3 songs were specifically recorded for Still Cruisin', added to a hit from the previous year, a hit from '87, 3 way old songs and 2 that had appeared on soundtrack albums. Sounds like a compilation to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:56 AM »

Still Cruisin' - recorded 1988, single, soundtrack
Somewhere Near Japan - recorded 1989
Island Girl - recorded 1989
In My Car - recorded 1989 (BW solo)
Kokomo - recorded 1988, single, soundtrack
Wipe Out (w/Fat Boys) - recorded 1987, single
Make It Big - recorded 1989
I Get Around - recorded 1964, soundtrack
Wouldn't It Be Nice- recorded 1966, soundtrack
California Girls - recorded 1965, soundtrack

... and yes, I was in error writing "more than a year old": make that "more than two years old".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:49:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »

Still Cruisin' - recorded 1988, single, soundtrack
Somewhere Near Japan - recorded 1989
Island Girl - recorded 1989
In My Car - recorded 1989 (BW solo)
Kokomo - recorded 1988, single, soundtrack
Wipe Out (w/Fat Boys) - recorded 1987, single
Make It Big - recorded 1989
I Get Around - recorded 1964, soundtrack
Wouldn't It Be Nice- recorded 1966, soundtrack
California Girls - recorded 1965, soundtrack

... and yes, I was in error writing "more than a year old": make that "more than two years old".

"In My Car" isn't necessarily "Brian solo" though since Al and Carl both take a lead on it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx