gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:34:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hitler learns about the Rolling Stone Greatest albums list  (Read 8949 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVRQ-DC9PE&sns=tw

I've always thought these were funny and this one doesn't disappoint.  LOL
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »

That's excellent. I never knew Hitler was a fan.

(The movie this is from, "Downfall", is excellent too.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:22:34 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »

Brilliant.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:38:39 PM »

YES! Brian and Poco!! I have to rethink my opinion of good ol' Adolf.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »

It's so true though. Even ignoring Sgt Pepper as number one, why do the Beatles take up half of the top 10? Look...I'm not trying to talk sh!t on them. They're a great band. They innovated music. But there's a LOT of other great bands out there. Many who were just as experimental and influential even if they don't get even a fraction of the credit for it. The Beatles were *a* great band sure, but it seems like many would have you believe they were *the* great band and everyone else owes everything solely to them which just isn't true. Even ignoring Brian Wilson, there were other great artists like Frank Zappa, Joseph Byrd and Arthur Lee who were far much more creative and sincere in their craft.

Goes without saying, SMiLE deserves that number one spot, even in its unfinished state. Not just on its awe-inspiring musical and thematic depth of vision, but in how advanced for its time (and still today) and thought provoking it really is. For all the blind "best album ever!" praise Pepper gets, I've yet to see any truly engaged analyses or ponderances of its message or material. SMiLE on the other hand, has been the subject of so much speculation, debate and intellectual critique it's unfathomable. And where is it on the list? Like, #300 something? What an absolute joke.

And this is just the sixties I'm talking about. I could make just as passionate of a plea for Dark Side of the Moon or Bad or Nevermind or something else to be in the top spot or at least top ten above all those Beatles albums.

Best of lists, as a rule, are pretentious and stupid. Hitler...was right.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »

Hitler knows his stuff when it comes to great music. The Beatles are absurdly overrated for what they were.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »

Hitler knows his stuff when it comes to great music. The Beatles are absurdly overrated for what they were.

Agreed. They really must have had an amazing PR team, though. And now their image is so enshrined that it's borderline unquestionable.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »

LOL

the Poco references were out of left field but this was a good one. there's a million of these

i'm sure most deadheads have seen this one by now: The Last Dead Shows

oh and there's this one too: Hitler buys the new Beach Boys album

there should really be one for the end of the C50 tour
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:00:15 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:01:03 AM »

I love the Beatles, but Pepper isn't even their best album. Revolver is better and you can make a good case that Abbey Road is better as well. And Rubber Soul is almost as good.

Not a single Beach Boys album besides Pet Sounds in the top 100-lame. SMiLE even if unfinished should be top ten, and Today and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) are top 50 at least.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »

I don't even know where to begin with this. I don't think it's possible to overrate the Beatles, their music is (in my view) unique and wonderful. But 'absurdly overrated'? I absolutely love the Beach Boys but the only full album that equals the Beatles incredible run of albums is Pet Sounds. There are other albums I love but none have the consistent quality, and that's because brian had to do it all by himself!

Anyway sorry, I do know you're entitled to your opinion Mike's Beard, I just feel quite passionately! I do probably agree having so many albums in the all time top10 is a *bit* much.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:01 AM »

Amazing video.  LOL
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:30:05 AM »

There's also this gem for those who haven't seen it: "Hitler buys the new Beach Boys album"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0r72b9X3Fo
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:49 AM »

Ha Ha Ha  LOL LOL LOL
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:07 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untergangers
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:07:24 AM by Sjöman » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 05:11:48 AM »

I don't even know where to begin with this. I don't think it's possible to overrate the Beatles,

Exactly. Saying The Beatles are overrated is like saying Shakespeare is overrated.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »

I don't even know where to begin with this. I don't think it's possible to overrate the Beatles, their music is (in my view) unique and wonderful. But 'absurdly overrated'? I absolutely love the Beach Boys but the only full album that equals the Beatles incredible run of albums is Pet Sounds. There are other albums I love but none have the consistent quality, and that's because brian had to do it all by himself!

Anyway sorry, I do know you're entitled to your opinion Mike's Beard, I just feel quite passionately! I do probably agree having so many albums in the all time top10 is a *bit* much.

You know there's more bands out there than just those two...right?

Edit: Today, All Summer Long, Smiley, Friends, Sunflower, Love You and Holland are just as great as any Beatles album too, I'd say. SMiLE far surpasses anything they ever did.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:28:43 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »

I say that as a Beatles fan, yes I find them overrated. Both Please Please Me and With The Beatles contain filler. Even many Beatle fans admit that Beatles For Sale was padded with too many covers. They developed into a truly great band with Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver. IMO it was never the same from Pepper onwards (although there is a terrific single album scattered over the White Album). The Beach Boys were better, The Kinks were better, Pink Floyd were better, The 'Stones were better, The Byrds were better, Creedence Clearwater Revival were better, The Monkees were better, Zappa & The Mothers of Invention were better, The Bee Gees were better, The Doors were better, Velvet Underground were better, I could go on...... AND these was just their contemporaries from the mid to late 60s. There have been better bands than them in the 70s and 80s.

Exactly. Saying The Beatles are overrated is like saying Shakespeare is overrated.
Um, he is. And boring as f*** for the most part too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:19:06 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »

I don't think anyone's saying the Beatles are "over-rated" -- just that they're not that great.  You know, in hindsight.   Cheesy

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »

I absolutely love the Beach Boys but the only full album that equals the Beatles incredible run of albums is Pet Sounds.

Disagree.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »

I don't think anyone's saying the Beatles are "over-rated" -- just that they're not that great.  You know, in hindsight.   Cheesy

I do think the Beatles are great; just that there are plenty of bands who were greater.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »

I say that as a Beatles fan, yes I find them overrated. Both Please Please Me and With The Beatles contain filler. Even many Beatle fans admit that Beatles For Sale was padded with too many covers. They developed into a truly great band with Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver. IMO it was never the same from Pepper onwards (although there is a terrific single album scattered over the White Album). The Beach Boys were better, The Kinks were better, Pink Floyd were better, The 'Stones were better, The Byrds were better, Creedence Clearwater Revival were better, The Monkees were better, Zappa & The Mothers of Invention were better, The Bee Gees were better, The Doors were better, Velvet Underground were better, I could go on...... AND these was just their contemporaries from the mid to late 60s. There have been better bands than them in the 70s and 80s.

Exactly this.

Well, except Shakespeare being overrated. But c'Mon, how do you seriously compare pop songs to language-shaping, culture- defining tragedies like Othello, Hamlet, MacBeth and others? To even compare the two is a testament to how overrated the Beatles have become in the first place. And I say this as a huge fan of both.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:52 AM »

You know there's more bands out there than just those two...right?

Edit: Today, All Summer Long, Smiley, Friends, Sunflower, Love You and Holland are just as great as any Beatles album too, I'd say. SMiLE far surpasses anything they ever did.

Yeah I suppose I just chose to compare them to the BBs because... This board is about them.

Anyway yeah I know there are other great bands. Just disagree that they're "absurdly overrated".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »

I say that as a Beatles fan, yes I find them overrated.

In what sense? Are the record sales that we have, all the number one songs, all the videos of the screaming, their ongoing place in culture in some way false? Did these things not happen? Or, are you saying that there is an objective way to evaluate music - we can, say, listen to an album like All Summer Long and know objectively where it sits, say, on a scale of 1-10 wherein there is no wiggle room - we can conclusively say that definitively that that album is an 8.7/10. Do you believe that that's the case? If you don't believe either, then by what criteria are The Beatles overrated?

he Beach Boys were better, The Kinks were better, Pink Floyd were better, The 'Stones were better, The Byrds were better, Creedence Clearwater Revival were better, The Monkees were better, Zappa & The Mothers of Invention were better, The Bee Gees were better, The Doors were better, Velvet Underground were better, I could go on......

And, in my opinion, you're wrong about every single example that you bring up. In fact, outside of The Beach Boys, I'd probably say that The Beatles output is stronger than the rest of those bands' combined discographies. But, of course, that's a meaningless value judgement. Whether or not you and I think a band is better or worse than The Beatles is meaningless outside of our own personal interests. It certainly tells us next to nothing about whether the band was overrated. OK, so YOU like other bands better. Fine. How does one conclude from that that The Beatles were overrated?

And, like The Beatles, he essentially informed Western culture and thereby dramatically affected your understanding of reality. One could, in effect, never read a single word of Shakespeare and nevertheless be unavoidably influenced by him. Whether one likes him or not is not the point - it is quite simply impossible to overrate him. You might as well say that Christ was overrated. Or World War II was overrated. Or the discovery of gravity was overrated. Or the discovery that Earth revolves around the sun was overrated. Or Einstein was overrated. Or Freud was overrated. It just doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:50:32 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

But c'Mon, how do you seriously compare pop songs to language-shaping, culture- defining tragedies like Othello, Hamlet, MacBeth and others? To even compare the two is a testament to how overrated the Beatles have become in the first place. And I say this as a huge fan of both.

Because The Beatles have been just as crucial in defining the culture as Shakespeare has been - and there is a tremendous amount of scholarly work that suggests that. And even if one could conclude that they haven't been as crucial as Shakespeare, they've certainly more impactful than any other band that could be listed in the Rolling Stone list, with only Bob Dylan coming close. I don't know how one can even look at the world around them and not see that.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

I found another funny video: http://captiongenerator.com/31568/Hitler-reacts-to-Mike-Love-

This video pertains to Mike Love, previous arrangements, a notorious email, fact checking and lots more.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx