gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 11:59:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Vibe Room" Q&A  (Read 55843 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »

The BB's have lost one member specifically to drugs and alcohol. Carl's death could well have been related to smoking. Everyone else in the band is still alive and presumably clean (though most of them presumably still drink alcohol). Why does it still need to be brought up, *repeatedly*, and sometimes unprompted? I will grant that Mike and the rest of the band may well have known other friends and family through the years who have had drug and alcohol issues, but that doesn't really related to being asked specific questions about the band.

He doesn't really have anything else to talk about, sadly. He has no new music to promote, but seeks to have the steady IV drip of adulation and praise that he got accustomed to at a young age. IMO, Mike feels shortchanged and overlooked by his musical peers and public opinion at large. C'mon, its' plainly obvious, from myriad interviews...  I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't have private conversations with his closest intimates about feeling this way.  He's unfortunately become known as the Biff Tannen town bully of rock and roll. Whether this is a fair image or not, I think he's known that way to many people, and I think Mike absolutely, full well knows that many people feel that way about him. It's quite sad.  So it just became easy to mention drugs incessantly, even at inappropriate times, since the mentioning of drugs makes him look good, which is something he undoubtedly craves (which admittedly, is probably not an intentional thought-out "evil" plan, but just a natural thing that happens when it's brought up), and it gives also him a platform to preach about something which I am certain he legitimately feels very strongly about, too.

Someone else mentioned the Harry Nilsson connection, where Harry became deeply anti-gun after Lennon's death. I think it's true that a similar thing has happened with Mike, and I do think it's a valid comparison...but that said, the fact of the matter is that there are other ego/resentment factors additionally at play in this instance.

Did Mike ever talk so incessantly about drugs in interviews before Dennis' death? If Denny had cleaned up and Carl had never died, I wonder if he'd still go on and on as much these days. Probably yes, is my guess.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:27:03 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »

Things that Mike might regret that are actually ABOUT Mike and not his drug taking cousins.

Letting Murry screw him out of song writing credits.

Nope, that one gets brought up all the time, because it's about wrongs perpetrated by Murry and Brian.

Mike's gripe on that one, as I've always said, is pretty much legit (aside from a few songs where one's definition of what constitutes a songwriting credit might vary).

That issue is like the drugs thing. It's a legit gripe. But it's a case of asked and answered. In fact, the songwriting case was even more firmly "righted"; Mike got his name on the songs. He won the suit. Brian offered no defense. Yet twenty years later he will still bring it up in interviews.

But it's funny, because if, say Al was still bitching and moaning in 2015 about the "Family & Friends" lawsuit or something, the folks who are so incredulous about these inflammatory Mike interviews would be crying foul, and calling sour grapes on Al and saying he needs to get over it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »

How could you possibly know what another human thinks? How could you know their motivation?

I would say if interviews can't or don't give us an insight into what someone is thinking, then there's really no point in giving (or reading) interviews or even talking to each other. Seriously, anybody can be *thinking* anything. Some are simply more forthcoming (or transparent) than others, and even then, one never knows for sure what the truth is.

I've known people who talk like Mike does in many of these interviews. I'm not trying to be snarky when I say that I recognize it as a genuine trait. Some people, for whatever reason, are programmed to *NEVER* say something that can be turned around or in some way be interpreted as something negative about themselves. It's not coincidence that many people who are like this also don't realize how defensive it makes them sound; how it makes them sound like they are narcissistic and, in cases where they have nothing but negative things about *others* to make them look good, makes them sound overtly negative about others.

Some people can't just often say something positive about somebody else, and *nothing* else. It has to be qualified by either something equally negative about that somebody else, or something positive about themselves.

Sometimes it isn't even about positive things. Some people are narcissistic in the literal sense, that things have to revolve around them. We all know people like this. You tell them a story about something, and they HAVE to immediately relate it something about themselves. Sometimes this can be hilarious in its excess. "Yeah, so I'm feeling pretty crummy today, I had to do a pretty intense chemotherapy appointment." "Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I feel pretty crummy today too, my allergies are really bugging me today."

Mike clearly isn't programmed to just talk about others, especially other BB's, and he's even less prone to only talking about them and talking about positive, and only positive things. And again, I get it and sympathize to a certain degree. A lot of bad stuff DID happen because of drugs and alcohol, and those issues along with a myriad of other issues, I could easily see making it difficult for Mike to just edit that all out and talk about fluffy, rosey stuff. But you know what? A ton of other people can do it. The other BB's can do it. Al was subjected to drugs and alcohol impacting the band, and he has I'm sure countless political and personal BS tied into the half century of BB dealings. But he seems capable of giving and interview and being asked about Dennis' songwriting, or Brian's, or whatever, and just talking about those guys.

Mike surely didn't act superior with Cal Saga.

It appeared that Mike was pretty tight with them and they seemed on the same page as regards the toll that drugs had taken on them.  

What don't you get when the Wilson children appear to be on the same page, being fatherless for 30 years?

I don't think Carnie or Wendy Wilson still, decades later, bring up Brian's drug use consistently in many, many interviews. I've never seen Wendy or Carnie asked about their own personal regrets, and then skip over talking about themselves and start talking about Brian's past problems.

I was just watching the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" documentary; hadn't watched it in a number of years. In those interviews from *over twenty years ago*, Carnie and Wendy seem more empathetic, and seem to have gotten over Brian's past problems more than Mike has in 2015, and I would argue they were more *personally* impacted by Brian's drug use than Mike ever was.

The BB's have lost one member specifically to drugs and alcohol. Carl's death could well have been related to smoking. Everyone else in the band is still alive and presumably clean (though most of them presumably still drink alcohol). Why does it still need to be brought up, *repeatedly*, and sometimes unprompted? I will grant that Mike and the rest of the band may well have known other friends and family through the years who have had drug and alcohol issues, but that doesn't really related to being asked specific questions about the band.
Interviews aren't always candid and there are always "talking points" that are more or less scripted.  I didn't watch the interview or do either Q and A with either Brian or Mike.  There are usually predefined topics and that is fine.  Smile Brian made that statement and I expect him to defend it.  And not rely on someone else to do his defense.  We aren't here for a "Theories of Personality" psych class.  This is a music forum.  

Can we call someone out on ethics? Ya.  Like Landy? Ya, because there are professional boundaries that all the professions such as medicine and law are bound by, which one can look up, and fact check to see if they crossed the line.  That is fair game.  

Getting into someone's head is not fair game.  Trying to determine someone's motivation, in a criminal law context goes with the territory.  But the constant berating of certain band members defies logic, because they are all human beings with human behavior, which is inherently imperfect.  

There is plenty of good stuff to find in every human being.  We don't know how Mike is programmed.  We can only worry about how "we" are programmed.  It sort of goes along with that concept of "Let he/she who is perfect, cast the first
stone." It is hard to fathom that the music is so "parsed" like a political statement that the unity of it is missed, sort of like missing "the forest, for the trees." The beauty, as I see it, is in the way Brian "united" the voices in harmony.

Happy Friday! (The 13th) Hey Jude  Beer
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:36:27 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »

Basically Brian (and Dennis and Carl, and fans/readers) are getting the "TPS Report" treatment from Mike about drugs.

Brian, did you get that memo about how you took drugs decades ago?

Um, yeah, Brian, so I heard you took drugs decades ago....

And of course, Al is in there somewhere too:

"I was told I was allowed to say I was a Beach Boy on my concert posters....."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

There is plenty of good stuff to find in every human being.

I think sometimes someone needs to remind Mike of that when he's interviewed, and also reminded that "every human being" is not only himself.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »

Basically Brian (and Dennis and Carl, and fans/readers) are getting the "TPS Report" treatment from Mike about drugs.

Brian, did you get that memo about how you took drugs decades ago?

Um, yeah, Brian, so I heard you took drugs decades ago....

And of course, Al is in there somewhere too:

"I was told I was allowed to say I was a Beach Boy on my concert posters....."

LOL
 LOL
 LOL

Who would Milton be in the BB Office Space universe?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »

And I'm the only one in this thread that is accused by name of being a Ted Cruz-like ideologue.  Roll Eyes  On page 10 in case anybody missed it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »

And I'm the only one in this thread that is accused by name of being a Ted Cruz-like ideologue.  Roll Eyes  On page 10 in case anybody missed it.

Yes, please everyone, look it up! He is!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »

Is it essential to know who Ted Cruz is?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »

I assume it is.

But I don't understand why Cam took offense. I'm sure some of the posters on this board would take the Cruz comparison as a badge of honor.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

I thought it was Phil Dunphy from Modern Family.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »

I prefer to think of myself as the Sarah Palin.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »

I can see how many people could see me as an ideologue now, I didn't believe most of the stuff I do now when I first came to the boards.

So now I'm still hearing the same old stuff I used to believe wayback then and don't believe any longer but some how I'm the ideologue.  Grin

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »

I can see how many people could see me as an ideologue now, I didn't believe most of the stuff I do now when I first came to the boards.

So now I'm still hearing the same old stuff I used to believe wayback then and don't believe any longer but some how I'm the ideologue.  Grin

What talking points made you change your mind?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »

I suppose independent study and guys like AGD and people who were terrorized or lurked on PSML.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »

I suppose independent study and guys like AGD and people who were terrorized or lurked on PSML.

Okay Ted. What major things did you change your mind on? That Brian called the end to SMiLE and willingly, maybe even excitedly made Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and Friends, despite public opinion? I could see maybe that.

But what else? That Mike has done nothing regrettable in his life. That Al Jardine is a "horrible little man" for this crazy idea that he should be able to play in his own band? Tell us Mr. Cruz, what have you learned?
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »

Okay Ted. What major things did you change your mind on? That Brian called the end to SMiLE and willingly, maybe even excitedly made Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and Friends, despite public opinion? I could see maybe that.

But what else? That Mike has done nothing regrettable in his life. That Al Jardine is a "horrible little man" for this crazy idea that he should be able to play in his own band? Tell us Mr. Cruz, what have you learned?

I learned that Mike Love wrote kokomo (and Brian didn't), wrote the lyrics to Good Vibrations (and Brian didn't) and helped the Beatles write a song (and Brian didn't.)

And the I saw another interview and learned it again. 

Another interview...And i learned again.

Yet another interview...Yet again.

And again.

& again.

...again

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Nicko1234
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »

People had their chance to post new and different questions for Mike and many, including those who complain that he is always asked the same questions, couldn`t be bothered.  It would have taken 2 minutes to do so and it speaks volumes that they decided against it.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2015, 03:26:35 AM »

How do you know you disagree with me if you don't know?

(cue C+C Music Factory) "Things that make you go 'hhhhmmmmm?'."

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »

So you are an ideologist! So far I thought you were just someone with firm points of view. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »

So you are an ideologist! So far I thought you were just someone with firm points of view. Cheesy

I meant I am hot and opinionated. Wink

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »

Or it means you look like a tranny. Which is okay, to each his or her own.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »

I do enjoy throwing on a dress for the odd occasion. You know Halloween, Kiwanis skit, Say Yes To The Dress season premiere,...

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2015, 12:58:44 AM »

I do enjoy throwing on a dress for the odd occasion. You know Halloween, Kiwanis skit, Say Yes To The Dress season premiere,...

Hey, me too. Doesn't seem fair that women can wear pants no problem but a man in a dress is still so taboo. I like a little breeze between the knees, y'know?

Nicko, do you honestly believe Mike would have answered the questions I laid out? I sure as hell don't. Maybe I should have tried regardless, and if he had just done it here I would have. I just didn't feel like wasting time to join some other forum I'll never visit to ask some questions that'd just get ignored anyway. Based on the fact that Mike seemed to stick to the old talking points I'd say I made the right call.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Nicko1234
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »

Hey, me too. Doesn't seem fair that women can wear pants no problem but a man in a dress is still so taboo. I like a little breeze between the knees, y'know?

Nicko, do you honestly believe Mike would have answered the questions I laid out? I sure as hell don't. Maybe I should have tried regardless, and if he had just done it here I would have. I just didn't feel like wasting time to join some other forum I'll never visit to ask some questions that'd just get ignored anyway. Based on the fact that Mike seemed to stick to the old talking points I'd say I made the right call.

There`s a very simple answer to that isn`t there. If you don`t think there is any chance Mike will ever answer a question that you would like to know the answer to then there is no point whatsoever in you ever reading or listening to an interview he ever gives again I would have thought.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx