gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:05:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Vibe Room" Q&A  (Read 55200 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »

These guys go out of their way to take time to do something nice for the fans and all you can do it poke fun.  You stay classy, San Diego.

I'm curious, did you post or express anything of the sort in the lead up to Brian's double Q&A session here and on his own board? I saw the pure, unbridled nonsense that was flying around social media bashing the whole notion of doing a Q&A, bashing how Brian responds in interviews, bashing the people on this board and the board itself, and beyond. Just a bunch of bitter bile being spewed which I was unfortunate enough to read because I was (formerly until I got the hell out) in the same friend network as some of those spewing the bile. Not naming names.

Now we're wagging fingers? Stay consistent.

I think it is a terrific development to have actual band members embracing the fan community in these ways, and reaching out in their own way with various online events like this. I think it's natural too to let a few jokes fly, have a few laughs, etc. But when it went as far as some of the comments (not so much here but involving people who are or were here) went before Brian's session, and if it gets out of hand with this one, yeah - that's taking things beyond the boundary of appreciating a gesture from any of these band members to the fan base.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »

Just for some background for anyone interested:

This thread -

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18250.0.html

- had this photo of Wink, Richard "Jaws" Kiel, and the Boys at the 1963 Teen-Age Fair event when Wink was a DJ on station KFWB.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »

I file this under the "you can't make this stuff" category, or maybe it's just me who found this interesting.  Grin

I'm sure quite a few of us watched Wink as the host of the game show Tic-Tac-Dough in the 70's and 80's. I happened to find this screen shot of one of the original episodes when Wink was hosting.

Notice the categories on the upper right of the game board:

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »

When people have a Heroes and Villains themed fancy dress party my Beach Boys buttons feel very much pressed.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »

My bottom line on this stuff is even Mike's haters know he is and was a part of this band and a part of that story. I'd think they'd like to see that story properly represented and every word those guys speak on the subject of music while they're still around gets us closer, if not to the truth then at least to their personal perspective as someone who was inside of it all. For that reason and many others these fan interactions have value - it's not the only reason but for me it's more than enough.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »

Speaking of perspectives, it'd be interesting to hear what Steve Love has to say these days. Didn't he post a bunch of furious comments online a few years back? Maybe he can join Mike in the future installment of "Previously Recorded from The Vibe Room" and have a tearful reunion and reminiscence about their dear friend Blondie Chaplin and how nice it is he's touring with Cousin Brian.

A shame Richard Kiel couldn't be around to conduct the interview and ofter an aside about Eegah.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:30:48 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »

Speaking of perspectives, it'd be interesting to hear what Steve Love has to say these days. Didn't he post a bunch of furious comments online a few years back? Maybe he can join Mike in the future installment of "Previously Recorded from The Vibe Room" and have a tearful reunion and reminiscence about their dear friend Blondie Chaplin and how nice it is he's touring with Cousin Brian.

A shame Richard Kiel couldn't be around to conduct the interview and ofter an aside about Eegah.

Maybe Steve could have his own thread to answer these questions specific to him and Bernie Madoff could conduct his taped Q&A interview.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »

I file this under the "you can't make this stuff" category, or maybe it's just me who found this interesting.  Grin

I'm sure quite a few of us watched Wink as the host of the game show Tic-Tac-Dough in the 70's and 80's. I happened to find this screen shot of one of the original episodes when Wink was hosting.

Notice the categories on the upper right of the game board:

I thought "heroes" and "villains" were words either Brian or Van Dyke just made up.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »

Wink Martindale, apart from being a DJ and presenter, had a hit with "Deck of cards". Long career, he knows the background to what he is dealing with

He's also THE penultimate game show host. Kinda like Brucie in the UK.

Fun fact, I won a contest from Wink on Facebook and the prize was him recording a voicemail message for my cell. One of my favorite possesions.

I hope you don't mind me saying, "Penultimate" means second to last.

Yup, I'd go with 'quintessential'

Honestly didn't know that. If I had said that on Youtube, I'd be called "an average dumb American"  LOL
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »

I feel like a handful of us here should just start posting our normal topics in the Vibe Room instead of Smiley Smile ... that would kind of funny and cool. It would only take like 5-10 people to get something rolling there! Imagine seeing these crazy topics that we've uncovered over the years (like the Scully 8-track photo thing) play out there! I just think that would be really bizarre ... like the Vibe Room becomes a quintessential online resource for Beach Boys lore. I think I'm just gonna go in there and start answering questions or starting topics ...

EDIT: there's really nothing there to participate in yet, so I guess we'd have to start from scratch ...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:30:17 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »

Seriously though ...

I find it strange that here we have one of the 'main men' of our all-time favorite group ... he's 74 years old, he's got a website, an open forum, and open invite to ask questions ... and the Beach Boys fan community is just sort of not into it. I'm not personally into any kind of politics or taking sides or anything; I just think it's kind of strange.

Not sure how many of you follow Stephen Kalinich's Facebook or Instragram, but I do and he's really active there (he even shared a video I posted of my baby daughter dancing to the 45 of 'Little Bird' on her portable record player!) ... but anyway, he recently posted something about Mike Love and Sky Saxon:

"I love the Seeds. When the Beach Boys signed me in 1967 or around then. I was just married and working in a flower shop on San Vicente. It was before I wrote Little Bird and Mike Love brought Sky Saxon from the Seeds in to meet me. We went behind the flower shop and Mike had me recite about 5 poems and 20 songs for Sky Saxon and he loved it. It was when Mike was taking me around introducing me to everyone. A side of Mike that was amazing and I love the Seeds ..."

There's more to these guys than we know of them as public figures. And it's really silly to get into pretending like we know anything about them personally, based on things we read and media articles, interviews, etc. I did know Sky personally, and he liked the Beach Boys too. If you guys don't know about Sky, he was a major psychedelic person, and serious L.A. scenester in the '60s. A pretty out-there guy ... long hair in '65, etc. ... and here was Mike Love hanging out with Sky, taking a young unknown poet around to meet different dudes ... I mean, we hear stories about how Mike didn't want Brian hanging out with these guys becuase they did drugs or something ... in reality, that's got to be only one side of the story. Sky Saxon was most certainly into psychedelics, and here's a guy (Stephen Kalinich) who was actually there, telling a story that would seem to contradict the accepted stories we've always heard ... I mean, there's no way you can listen to Smiley Smile and believe that Mike Love was not stoned!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:56:09 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »

I'd love to see a "Vibe Room" as part of fan "Club Kokomo" type packages ...

Like, a fan can pay to get the usual meet/greet/picture but also sit Mike n Bruce down for their own Q&A!

With this scenario some real questions might be asked!

There should also be an "Excitations Room"

.... Use your imagination for that one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:51:04 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

Seriously though ...

I find it strange that here we have one of the 'main men' of our all-time favorite group ... he's 74 years old, he's got a website, an open forum, and open invite to ask questions ... and the Beach Boys fan community is just sort of not into it. I'm not personally into any kind of politics or taking sides or anything; I just think it's kind of strange.

Not sure how many of you follow Stephen Kalinich's Facebook or Instragram, but I do and he's really active there (he even shared a video I posted of my baby daughter dancing to the 45 of 'Little Bird' on her portable record player!) ... but anyway, he recently posted something about Mike Love and Sky Saxon:

"I love the Seeds. When the Beach Boys signed me in 1967 or around then. I was just married and working in a flower shop on San Vicente. It was before I wrote Little Bird and Mike Love brought Sky Saxon from the Seeds in to meet me. We went behind the flower shop and Mike had me recite about 5 poems and 20 songs for Sky Saxon and he loved it. It was when Mike was taking me around introducing me to everyone. A side of Mike that was amazing and I love the Seeds ..."

There's more to these guys than we know of them as public figures. And it's really silly to get into pretending like we know anything about them personally, based on things we read and media articles, interviews, etc. I did know Sky personally, and he liked the Beach Boys too. If you guys don't know about Sky, he was a major psychedelic person, and serious L.A. scenester in the '60s. A pretty out-there guy ... long hair in '65, etc. ... and here was Mike Love hanging out with Sky, taking a young unknown poet around to meet different dudes ... I mean, we hear stories about how Mike didn't want Brian hanging out with these dudes becuase they did drugs or something ... in reality, that's got to be only one side of the story. Sky Saxon was most certainly into psychedelics, and here's a guy (Stephen Kalinich) who was actually there, telling a story that would seem to contradict the accepted stories we've always heard ... I mean, there's no way you can listen to Smiley Smile and believe that Mike Love was not stoned!
That is great what you wrote about Mike and the techie stuff.  If I had to guess, he likely learned stuff from his kids.  Even using a smart phone onstage for Surfer Girl. If anyone had told me ( a tech phobic) that I'd do research online, learn that if I looked at a computer sideways, it wasn't going to break, I'd never have believed it! One of my sons had to teach me not to be afraid of missing a call on an iphone, and let me get the hang of it.  

But once I got to using a smart phone, then the ipad didn't frighten me, and in order to stay in touch with my kids, I would have to hold my nose and text rather than hear their voices.  No kid minds texting mom in a bar, when he isn't likely to have a conversation when out in public.  I've learned a lot from my kids, mostly not to be afraid of technology, and I bet Mike and the rest of the band members do the same.  So, I thank my kids.  I bet Mike thanks his kids for having him keep up with progress.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:02:48 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »

These guys go out of their way to take time to do something nice for the fans and all you can do it poke fun.  You stay classy, San Diego.

I'm curious, did you post or express anything of the sort in the lead up to Brian's double Q&A session here and on his own board? I saw the pure, unbridled nonsense that was flying around social media bashing the whole notion of doing a Q&A, bashing how Brian responds in interviews, bashing the people on this board and the board itself, and beyond. Just a bunch of bitter bile being spewed which I was unfortunate enough to read because I was (formerly until I got the hell out) in the same friend network as some of those spewing the bile. Not naming names.

Now we're wagging fingers? Stay consistent.

I think it is a terrific development to have actual band members embracing the fan community in these ways, and reaching out in their own way with various online events like this. I think it's natural too to let a few jokes fly, have a few laughs, etc. But when it went as far as some of the comments (not so much here but involving people who are or were here) went before Brian's session, and if it gets out of hand with this one, yeah - that's taking things beyond the boundary of appreciating a gesture from any of these band members to the fan base.

I don't think people who are in the mind to defend Mike see much need for defending Brian..... Certainly not on this board, at least. We have threads here entitled "In Praise Of Brian" .... There's no lack of praise or defense for Brian.... Mike, however, is a different story.

I agree that it's fantastic these guys are embracing such things as these Q&A's... Anyone dissing Brian is coming from a position of ignorance to the man, therefore I can only merely feel sorry for them.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:02:25 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »

Like, a fan can pay to get the usual meet/greet/picture but also sit Mike n Bruce down for their own Q&A!

You could run security and ensure the questions don't get too OSD/SBish!

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »

No!!! We'll be passing around a hat to ensure that OSD is the very first person in this Vibe Room.

Excitation Room will be on his own dime.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »

Yes, I can see it... A Club Kokomo ReEducation room.

"Wrinkles, I'll see you on the other side..."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:10:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rynedotcom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »

do we know when the video is being posted?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »

Yes, I can see it... A Club Kokomo ReEducation room.

"Wrinkles, I'll see you on the other side..."

LOL LOL LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rynedotcom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »

I feel all alone on wanting to watch Mike's Q&A??
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »

I feel all alone on wanting to watch Mike's Q&A??

You won't be.  Everyone will watch it, some just so they can then make fun of it.  The usual stuff.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »

And, here it is…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45duZ1Sq38&feature=youtu.be
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »

It is sad, yet perfectly understandable, that the Comments section is preemptively disabled...
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »

I luv the name of Mike's youtube channel. Loveforce1  Afro

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »

It is sad, yet perfectly understandable, that the Comments section is preemptively disabled...

OSD is fuming with rage  Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx