gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:20:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best "Best of" Compilation.  (Read 7866 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:08:18 PM »

In the past 50 years, dozens of Greatest hits albums have been released, such as 50 Big Ones, Sounds of Summer, ect. My question, is, what is your favorite "Best of" album, and why? I personally enjoy "Thd Best of the Beach Boys" from '66, after Pet Sounds. Also, where do you think they should have stopped with the compilation albums?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »

endless summer... Grin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »

The Beach Boys Classics Selected by Brian Wilson

It's one of the few single-disc compilations that's actually chronological (more-or-less) and having been compiled by Brian himself, it includes essential songs that weren't on Sounds of Summer like "Warmth of the Sun", "Sail On Sailor", "Marcella", "Til I Die", and "Surf's Up" that really showcase the best of Brian's songwriting rather than songs like "Surfin' Safari" or "Little Deuce Coupe" which while fun songs and easy to sing along, won't make any new fans and doesn't show what made the Beach Boys great.  When I was first really getting into the Beach Boys, this was the second CD I bought after Pet Sounds.  I think it's the perfect sampler for a new fan as it really shows the best of the Beach Boys rather than just the greatest hits.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »

GOOD VIBRATIONS: 30 YEARS OF THE BEACH BOYS 5 Disc Box Set From 1993  Smokin
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »

It's one of the few single-disc compilations that's actually chronological (more-or-less) and having been compiled by Brian himself, it includes essential songs that weren't on Sounds of Summer like "Warmth of the Sun", "Sail On Sailor", "Marcella", "Til I Die", and "Surf's Up" that really showcase the best of Brian's songwriting rather than songs like "Surfin' Safari" or "Little Deuce Coupe" which while fun songs and easy to sing along, won't make any new fans and doesn't show what made the Beach Boys great.  When I was first really getting into the Beach Boys, this was the second CD I bought after Pet Sounds.  I think it's the perfect sampler for a new fan as it really shows the best of the Beach Boys rather than just the greatest hits.
I usually go with Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys, but this choice is hard to argue.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:03:27 PM »

It's one of the few single-disc compilations that's actually chronological (more-or-less) and having been compiled by Brian himself, it includes essential songs that weren't on Sounds of Summer like "Warmth of the Sun", "Sail On Sailor", "Marcella", "Til I Die", and "Surf's Up" that really showcase the best of Brian's songwriting rather than songs like "Surfin' Safari" or "Little Deuce Coupe" which while fun songs and easy to sing along, won't make any new fans and doesn't show what made the Beach Boys great.  When I was first really getting into the Beach Boys, this was the second CD I bought after Pet Sounds.  I think it's the perfect sampler for a new fan as it really shows the best of the Beach Boys rather than just the greatest hits.
The old songs are what made the Beach Boys great. Had their first album been Sunflower, they would have faded into the sunset by 1974. Even today, what songs do people want to hear in concert? In 1974, what songs were being yelled to the band to play while 70's material was being performed? Brian wrote great songs throughout his entire career, not just the handful that you mention or that Brian picked for that CD. Even Brian plays the greatest hits more than the songs he picked for the CD.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »

The old songs are what made the Beach Boys great.

The old songs are what made the Beach Boys economically successful. What made them great is a matter of opinion. Do you disagree with this?

Even today, what songs do people want to hear in concert?

Obviously people want to hear the songs they know and aren't going to call out for a song they've never heard of before. But people have an incredible capacity for hearing and knowing new things.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

'Best of' albums were a pain in the arse to me.  I bought that first one...because I wanted to own all of their releases.   Problem was I already owned all of those songs...including Louie Louie.  Why the heck was THAT included on the album I wondered?  'Best of' ... my butt!!!  What a rip-off I thought.    Why did I need to own them yet again anyway?  I didn't.  There were other albums to spend my HARD EARNED paper route money on.   Then came the 2nd one and the 3rd!!! Shocked  No way.  I had noticed that the first 'best of' album had hurt Pet Sounds.  I didn't like that at all.  I was, in fact, quite put off by it.

For casual fans...they can pick their favs...Volume 1, 2 or 3...or Endless Summer or whatever.  That 20 Golden Greats, or whatever it's called, seemed to be HUGE in the UK.  I KNOW that some fans got drawn deep into the music by being introduced to the body of work through the greatest hits packages they initially purchased.  Cool.  Good for them.  I RESPECT that 100%.   For those who've been there from the beginning [my 1st Rock 'n' Roll album was Surfin Safari which I bought in 1963] greatest hits albums could be seen as problematic because they seemed to mess with The Beach Boys progress and growth.

The first one of REAL value to me has already been mentioned...

GOOD VIBRATIONS: 30 YEARS OF THE BEACH BOYS 5 Disc Box Set From 1993  Smokin

I find Made in California to be wonderful.  Loads of stuff there I didn't previously own.  Hawthorne CA...those ones...with the previously unreleased gems and surprises/treats and new found friends.

Everyone of us has taken a unique path in order to find ourselves collected here.  Each story is valid.  Each signpost noteworthy.  In this thread...really?  There is no wrong answer.  That doesn't mean though that we can all relate to the next person's journey.  I find it interesting to hear about how the various members 'got here'.  Those 'trips', I'm sure, have caused us to contemplate and HEAR the music differently.  It also has an impact on expectations and what it is we tend to personally like and prefer.

But again...there is NO wrong answer.  And THAT is why were all here. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »

The old songs are what made the Beach Boys great.

The old songs are what made the Beach Boys economically successful. What made them great is a matter of opinion. Do you disagree with this?

Even today, what songs do people want to hear in concert?

Obviously people want to hear the songs they know and aren't going to call out for a song they've never heard of before. But people have an incredible capacity for hearing and knowing new things.
Do you really think that they would want to hear terrible songs? Other people are who make songs great? A song is not deemed great by its composer. It is deemed great by the listener. As you said many people have not heard the newer music. We deem these songs great because we listen. Many other people will tell you otherwise. Some even think all of their music sucks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »

Do you really think that they would want to hear terrible songs?

I'm not sure how you glean that from what I said.

A song is not deemed great by its composer. It is deemed great by the listener.

It can be "deemed" great by both. I'm sure composers can be in conflict with the listener with what constitutes a "great" song just as the listeners will disagree amongst themselves what constitutes a great song.

As you said many people have not heard the newer music. We deem these songs great because we listen. Many other people will tell you otherwise. Some even think all of their music sucks.

Yes, but I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said or with anything Rocky Raccoon said.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

It's one of the few single-disc compilations that's actually chronological (more-or-less) and having been compiled by Brian himself, it includes essential songs that weren't on Sounds of Summer like "Warmth of the Sun", "Sail On Sailor", "Marcella", "Til I Die", and "Surf's Up" that really showcase the best of Brian's songwriting rather than songs like "Surfin' Safari" or "Little Deuce Coupe" which while fun songs and easy to sing along, won't make any new fans and doesn't show what made the Beach Boys great.  When I was first really getting into the Beach Boys, this was the second CD I bought after Pet Sounds.  I think it's the perfect sampler for a new fan as it really shows the best of the Beach Boys rather than just the greatest hits.
The old songs are what made the Beach Boys great. Had their first album been Sunflower, they would have faded into the sunset by 1974. Even today, what songs do people want to hear in concert? In 1974, what songs were being yelled to the band to play while 70's material was being performed? Brian wrote great songs throughout his entire career, not just the handful that you mention or that Brian picked for that CD. Even Brian plays the greatest hits more than the songs he picked for the CD.

Well of course.  And "California Girls", "I Get Around", "In My Room", "Surfer Girl", "Heroes and Villains" and "Good Vibrations" are also on that CD.  And those are great songs.  I was just listing songs that you wouldn't find on any other compilation but deserve to be heard.

jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »

The Beach Boys have so many great songs all the compilations give you a little something different. I have all the songs too, but I really like "the Warmth of the Sun" best of. The remastering stands out and makes many of the songs seem new.
28 songs, a nice single CD. Having "all This Is That" included on a best of was long overdue

Jet without wings
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »

The Beach Boys have so many great songs all the compilations give you a little something different. I have all the songs too, but I really like "the Warmth of the Sun" best of. The remastering stands out and makes many of the songs seem new.
28 songs, a nice single CD. Having "all This Is That" included on a best of was long overdue

Jet without wings
Amazing, there are actually a few of us here who enjoy the entirety of their career. Again, well said. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »

Thanks Dr. I don't post as much as many  (or perhaps most) do on this board but it is a great source of info about my favorite band as well as a place to share opinion and discussion.

Jet without wings
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »

Single CD - Sounds Of Summer
2CD - 50 Big Ones
3CD - The Platinum Collection [UK]
Box - Made In California

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »

I'm with Andrew on The Platinum Collection, even if some of the UK 'hits' aren't essential

My introduction to the BBs was the excellent UK compilation 20 Golden Greats (sad, but true). I don't honestly think I could be satisfied with a mere 20 tracks to represent their high points. With other bands - excellent bands, even - I may struggle to come up with 20, but to satisfy me, I'd want 40 from the Boys!

If I had to pick a single CD, I'd go for The Beach Boys Classics - at a push.
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »

Whose idea was it to put Wipe Out on the Platinum Colection? 😷 They could have at least put threw in some BB85 songs like Male Ego, It's Gettin' Late, or Getcha Back.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »

I think "Sounds of Summer" and "Warmth of the Sun" make a nice one-two punch of the most popular with some generally lesser well known, but accessible songs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »

Whose idea was it to put Wipe Out on the Platinum Colection? 😷 They could have at least put threw in some BB85 songs like Male Ego, It's Gettin' Late, or Getcha Back.

EMI, presumably because it was a #2 hit over here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »

I think "Sounds of Summer" and "Warmth of the Sun" make a nice one-two punch of the most popular with some generally lesser well known, but accessible songs.

Yup, if that was a 2CD set, it'd be pretty close to perfect.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:30 AM »

Ditto!  Smiley
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »

Greatest Hits Volume Three: Best of the Brother Years 1970–1986
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

Warmth of the Sun was nice but it's a bummer Love You was treated like it doesn't exist (as a couple of times before...).

Personally I love Endless Summer, it works like an actual album for me (Mike Love's concept album, remember?); charming 70s cover art and lots of great music including some of their finest deep cuts.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »

Also, Ten Years of Harmony is a personal favorite. Again, great cover art and the song selection is pretty good too. Big fan of Sea Cruise!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »

I really like 'Sunshine Dream'.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx