gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:59:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Annoying Songs  (Read 13017 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »

If you read what I wrote, I relayed my experience only. I never claimed to "speak to everyone" as you suggest.

This is what you said: "Back in 1971 no one was saying that the subject was beaten to the punch by some other band."

Who did you mean by no one?
Turn of phrase. Did you happen to read the other sentences that I wrote after that one, where I go into more detail?

Good God...

Also, is there reason why you would rather argue my phrasing than to just be sociable and answer the question that I asked you?

I never argued your phrasing.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »

If you read what I wrote, I relayed my experience only. I never claimed to "speak to everyone" as you suggest.

This is what you said: "Back in 1971 no one was saying that the subject was beaten to the punch by some other band."

Turn of phrase. Did you happen to read the other sentences that I wrote after that one, where I go into more detail?

Good God...

Also, is there reason why you would rather argue my phrasing than to just be sociable and answer the question that I asked you?

I never argued your phrasing.

Let's end this right here. Let us both use that pretend "Ignore" button. You and I cannot seem to have a conversation. I want to know when you first listened to SDT and you are doing your God-damnedest not to answer it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:55:30 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »

Anti-war music was its' own genre. 

Student Demonstration Time is an anti-war song?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

Catch A Wave
Little Deuce Coupe (And most of the songs from that album)
Fun Fun Fun
Finders Keepers
Heads You Win (Tails I Lose)
Pom Pom Play Girl
Louie Louie
Girls On The Beach
Most of Party!
I Know There's An Answer
With Me Tonight
A Thing Or Two
Do It Again
Our Sweet Love
At My Window
Don't Go Near The Water
Take A Load Off Your Feet
He Come Down
Most of 15 Big Ones
Much of the M.I.U. Album
Sumahama
Most of Keepin' The Summer Alive
Crack At Your Love
California Calling
It's Just A Matter Of Time
Kokomo
Wipe Out
All of SIP
Most of Stars And Stripes, Vol. 1
Isn't It Time
Spring Vacation
Beaches In Mind
it goes withou saying that Party, So Tough, 15B.O, MIU, Light album, Keepin the summer alive, Still Cruisin etc are weak, but being that ALL those albums were soley made for contractual obligation it explains it..

Where on earth do you get your facts from?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »

What were students mainly demonstrating about in the late 60's and early 70's?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »

The "demonstrations" were anti-war demonstrations.

The song (Ohio) was a great song, but one among many.  

It wasn't a competition among these many songs.  It was a manner of strengthening the fabric of anti-war activism with many voices joining together to turn the tide.  Two years later the war was wound down, in no small part due to the music, media attention, activism and protest.  

A harsh song for a harsh time. Please read what Mr. Desper says in the thread I just bumped on "harsher sound."

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »

Yes, but that doesn't mean the song itself is anti-war. The lyric suggests that demonstrations lead to riots and this is a bad thing.

How many other songs besides Ohio and SDT were about the violence that break out at protests, and specifically centered on the Kent State affair?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »

Yes, but that doesn't mean the song itself is anti-war. The lyric suggests that demonstrations lead to riots and this is a bad thing.

How many other songs besides Ohio and SDT were about the violence that break out at protests, and specifically centered on the Kent State affair?
x
Wiki classifies it as an "anti-war" song.  It might be a good place to start your research on anti-war songs. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:22 PM »

The song relays that the police cause the riots, not the demonstrators. Peaceful demonstrations being interfered with by the police. That words are answered by police violence.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »

x
Wiki classifies it as an "anti-war" song. 

Which means that we can safely conclude from this that Wiki is wrong.

It might be a good place to start your research on anti-war songs. 

Good God. This is appalling.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »

The song relays that the police cause the riots, not the demonstrators. Peaceful demonstrations being interfered with by the police.

The first verse doesn't suggest that:

"Down to Isla Vista where police felt so harassed/ They called the special riot squad of the L. A. County Sheriff"

But even if the song were against police brutality, it does not follow that it is against the war in Vietnam.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »

x
Wiki classifies it as an "anti-war" song.

Which means that we can safely conclude from this that Wiki is wrong.

It might be a good place to start your research on anti-war songs.  

Good God. This is appalling.
Good God, I just realized who you are. No wonder this thread is going nowhere.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

The song relays that the police cause the riots, not the demonstrators. Peaceful demonstrations being interfered with by the police.

The first verse doesn't suggest that:

"Down to Isla Vista where police felt so harassed/ They called the special riot squad of the L. A. County Sheriff"

But even if the song were against police brutality, it does not follow that it is against the war in Vietnam.
You argue to argue. We have done this dance in the past and this dance is done. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »

Catch A Wave
Little Deuce Coupe (And most of the songs from that album)
Fun Fun Fun
Finders Keepers
Heads You Win (Tails I Lose)
Pom Pom Play Girl
Louie Louie
Girls On The Beach
Most of Party!
I Know There's An Answer
With Me Tonight
A Thing Or Two
Do It Again
Our Sweet Love
At My Window
Don't Go Near The Water
Take A Load Off Your Feet
He Come Down
Most of 15 Big Ones
Much of the M.I.U. Album
Sumahama
Most of Keepin' The Summer Alive
Crack At Your Love
California Calling
It's Just A Matter Of Time
Kokomo
Wipe Out
All of SIP
Most of Stars And Stripes, Vol. 1
Isn't It Time
Spring Vacation
Beaches In Mind
it goes withou saying that Party, So Tough, 15B.O, MIU, Light album, Keepin the summer alive, Still Cruisin etc are weak, but being that ALL those albums were soley made for contractual obligation it explains it..

I wouldn't say either So Tough or Light Album are weak. Light Album is better than any album after that - except maybe TWGMTR, and So Tough has only one weak song IMO. Of course if you don't care for it, that's fine. But it certainly wasn't a contractual obligation album.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »

Be True to Your School

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »

Be True to Your School

Seconded.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »

All this negativity!  THIS THREAD IS ANNOYING!  Angry
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

Be True to Your School

Album version yes.  It was merely an unrealized 'idea'.   Hit Single version.  Absolutely not.  That's a postcard of North America...and an anthem.

If it was new and released this week.  Yes. 

1963?  It was perfection.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »

Always preferred the album version of Be True to Your School by far. To me, the single version sounds a bit like a novelty song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:59 PM »

Always preferred the album version of Be True to Your School by far. To me, the single version sounds a bit like a novelty song.

+1

The single version is way overrated! Album version all the way.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:19 AM »

Student Demonstration Time contains some of music's absolute worst lyrics. just extremely poor taste, judgment and execution.

"bachelor of bullets" Mike? really???
no doubt he was very proud of himself and some of those lines, but it seriously never should have been released or performed, at least without a lyric rewrite. it's a blight on the band's history

funny that Mike was so offended or opposed to the lyrics for Hang On To Your Ego, yet wrote and recorded something as indelicate and insensitive as this sh!t

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:47:21 AM by bossaroo » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 06:38:11 AM »

Pretty much everything on disc 2 of The Smile Sessions. It sounds like a really bad fever dream to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Heroes & Villains, but those outtakes are just way, way too much.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »

Student Demonstration Time contains some of music's absolute worst lyrics. just extremely poor taste, judgment and execution.

no doubt he was very proud of himself and some of those lines, but it seriously never should have been released or performed, at least without a lyric rewrite. it's a blight on the band's history

funny that Mike was so offended or opposed to the lyrics for Hang On To Your Ego, yet wrote and recorded something as indelicate and insensitive as this sh!t
No agreement, bossaroo.  These lyrics embodied what was going on with student protest in the 60's and 70's, contemporaneous to Carl's CO (Conscientious Objector) military draft status.  The most naive freshman entering college to be, for example, an English major or Education major, got a big slap of reality about the Vietnam War, and that their " education"  would not just come from a book and a lecture.  It was a sort of "Bachelor of Bullets" scenario.  Dramatic, yes, but to drive home a point.  

And, with bomb threats and massive class cancellations, as an almost daily occurrence, one might ask oneself what was the learning curve?  Was it Education for teaching, English, Biology or was it overridden by a building evacuation for a fire or bomb threat or students locking themselves in an administrative building? Personal experience on my end, and likely many others as well.

Comparing the lyrics to Brian's is not fair as Mike's BB experience was a different one with the band, while on the road, with his very outspoken cousin, Carl, risking it all by being a Conscientious Objector.  

They were doing different things and for different purposes, both to be respected.  If you look at it from all perspectives, such as translating the music to the "road and concert delivery, the lyrics did matter." That is where the proverbial "rubber meets the road." If an audience is throwing eggs, because they can't "get" a performance or lyrics, guess who gets them?

And, it disrespects those of us who were part of that experience was educationally formative for us, (whether we marched or just left after class was cancelled and reflected on what they were fighting for and started to become more aware of the news and government) and places the music in the "context of those times" which differs little in scope from the protest that is going on with right now, with regard the reformation of law enforcement policy in the States.

That message is not lost on the baby boomers.  The Beach Boys took the lead from those student activists (those 60's and 70's who did change the world) and created at least that song, accordingly appropriate.  I so respect Mike for hearing those voices. Wink
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »

Remember (Walking in the Sand)

Those odd pitch-shifted (?) "remember" lyrics are so awful. So, so, so annoyingly bad. Are they supposed to remind the listener of anything but The Chipmunks?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

No agreement, bossaroo.  These lyrics embodied what was going on with student protest in the 60's and 70's, contemporaneous to Carl's CO (Conscientious Objector) military draft status.  The most naive freshman entering college to be, for example, an English major or Education major, got a big slap of reality about the Vietnam War, and that their " education"  would not just come from a book and a lecture.  It was a sort of "Bachelor of Bullets" scenario.  Dramatic, yes, but to drive home a point. 

And, with bomb threats and massive class cancellations, as an almost daily occurrence, one might ask oneself what was the learning curve?  Was it Education for teaching, English, Biology or was it overridden by a building evacuation for a fire or bomb threat or students locking themselves in an administrative building? Personal experience on my end, and likely many others as well.

Comparing the lyrics to Brian's is not fair as Mike's BB experience was a different one with the band, while on the road, with his very outspoken cousin, Carl, risking it all by being a Conscientious Objector. 

They were doing different things and for different purposes, both to be respected.  If you look at it from all perspectives, such as translating the music to the "road and concert delivery, the lyrics did matter." That is where the proverbial "rubber meets the road." If an audience is throwing eggs, because they can't "get" a performance or lyrics, guess who gets them?

And, it disrespects those of us who were part of that experience was educationally formative for us, (whether we marched or just left after class was cancelled and reflected on what they were fighting for and started to become more aware of the news and government) and places the music in the "context of those times" which differs little in scope from the protest that is going on with right now, with regard the reformation of law enforcement policy in the States.

That message is not lost on the baby boomers.  The Beach Boys took the lead from those student activists (those 60's and 70's who did change the world) and created at least that song, accordingly appropriate.  I so respect Mike for hearing those voices. Wink
You know, I'm to the point now where with more & more people misunderstanding the lyrics, it has me questioning how it was written. I never had an issue with it, because I lived through the time written about. I remember the civil rights and anti-war protests. I understood that the government/police incited the riots, which started out as peaceful demonstrations. I understand how the words of protesters were answered by a hail of bullets and tear gas canisters. A thoughtful reading of the lyric tells you this, but a nonchalant listening may cause a misinterpretation, and apparently it has. Wink

On a lighter note, this is similar to how the meaning of the California Girls lyrics were sometimes misunderstood by listeners.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,