gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:43:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Annoying Songs  (Read 13036 times)
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »

To add to the Happiest and Saddest songs how about the most annoying ?

Little Children is at the top of my list.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »

I guess it's a fandom thing too, I mean I could happily never hear Fun, Fun, Fun or I Get Around or Surfin' U.S.A. - and naturally, Kokomo - for the rest of my life. Nature of the fan to wish those spots were taken up with lesser-known classics. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. But I guess that's side-stepping the point a little. Even Hey Little Tomboy, Smart Girls and Wrinkles are weird and idiosyncratic enough to warrant interest, even if it is largely rooted in scorn. What annoys me as a fan are the played out hits that can be easily re-rendered with little feeling or effort. But - of course I know they're there because they're crowd pleasers. And hey, when you're there in the crowd it's easy to get swept up in them.

Did I have a point?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:39:23 PM by elnombre » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »

Student demonstration time and most of the SIP cd...as far as how the songs are mixed.. and those strange comedy tracks they had on their early albums...especially the one on "Today" (Bull sessions) that one doesn't even make any sense.. and most of the surfin instrumentals on the "Surfin USA" album...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

duh duh duh
Duh Duh
DUH DUH DUH
Duh Duh

duh duh duh
Duh Duh
DUH DUH DUH
Duh Duh

Loo-ee Loo-ee
Duh Duh
DUH DUH DUH
Duh Duh

Mee Gotta Goh.
Duh Duh
DUH DUH DUH
Duh Duh

Looee Looee.. ... ..

It's the 3rd door down the hall...on your right.

GAWD!!! I loathed THAT.  Especially released, as it was, HOT on the heals of the Kingsmen reinventing the song and making it EVER-SO cool. Cool Guy  And it futher, then, 'qualified' as a "Best of" song HOW??? Razz.  Damn!!!

[Yet the original Richard Berry version sounds just FINE.]

And then to further FILL the album [SD-V2] with Denny's Drums... Drum  If 'they'da put Keep An Eye On Summer on side one along with Pom Pom Playgirl...and dropped Cassius vs. Sonny onto side 2... Shocked ...

One of the weakest early albums.  Looee Looee still annoys with a vengence...51 FULL years later. Angry

Me gotta go.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:32:39 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »

I really, really, really don't get the hate for Student Demonstration Time.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »

I think listeners feel could be because Mike Love's nasal vocal delivery does not sit well with the filter Desper puts him in (that makes him sound like he is talking through a megaphone).  He sounds so nasally that it annoys people... including me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:53:09 PM by ForHerCryingSoul » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »

Is the remark about Louie Louie a joke?? I take it over the kingsmen ANY DAY, WAAAY more true to richard berrys. And the other calling funFunfun and surfin usa annoying wtf???
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »

It's a low spot for me on the album. Never really liked it. Same goes with Don't Go Near the Water.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »

I agree SDT is a low point on Surf's Up. DGNTW, on the other hand, has alwys been one of my faves. Great backing track and some wonderful singing, especially on the coda.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »

It's Not Easy Being Me
It Ain't Necessarily So

Very few annoying songs in the catalog. Those are two that pop into my head (I know that one is unreleased).

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »

For me, Bluebirds Over the Mountain. I always skipt that one! Nothing even remotely interesting about it and the production makes it sound pretty annoying overall.

Also, Belles of Paris. (I do like Bells of Christmas, however!)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice is super fuckin' annoying.

It's so well written, catchy, and with such great production that it's constantly overplayed and mentioned any time some plebeian music fan mentions favorite Beach Boys songs.

No mas, por favor.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:23 AM »

Is the remark about Louie Louie a joke?? I take it over the kingsmen ANY DAY, WAAAY more true to richard berrys. And the other calling funFunfun and surfin usa annoying wtf???

NOT a joke Kook.  The Beach Boys bothering to record it and release it in early 1964...10 minutes after the Kingsmen took it to the top was a joke.  To go back and try to Richard Berrify it was not a good idea.  It was...as the thread suggests...annoying.  VERY annoying.  And 2 1/2 years later...there it was being annoying all over again. Angry

The ONLY reason they recorded it was Brian did NOT have enough new songs to release another album right then. The Beatles and the British Invasion were just exploding and someone/somewhere felt they needed to rush release some kind of 'line of defence'?  Not good enough.  Fun x3 was all the line they needed THAT day.  It was important to sound cool and ready, willing and able.  You know...move forward with something capable of contending with.  duh duh duh/Duh Duh.  didn't accomplish THAT.

DUH!!! Wink
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:15:20 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:52:04 AM »

The version of Bluebirds Over The Mountain from the 1983 Rarities album with that loud TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK percussion. Drives me looney tunes! The normal version from 20/20 doesn't bug me in the least, I like it quite fine. I just cannot deal with the Rarities version. Also Everyone's In Love With You annoys me too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 05:03:46 AM »

Southbay Surfers

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 05:13:31 AM »

Sumahama.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:13:01 AM »

Neither do I, instead I find both "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and "Summer Of Love" unlistenable.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »

To my ears it starts with Berry's version, moves to The Kingsmen's (my all-time favourite record) and then back to Berry's.

All i can think of right now as being... well, more embarrassing than annoying, is the cringeworthy argument at the start of "The TM Song".     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »

To my ears it starts with Berry's version, moves to The Kingsmen's (my all-time favourite record) and then back to Berry's.

All i can think of right now as being... well, more embarrassing than annoying, is the cringeworthy argument at the start of "The TM Song".     

"Phew... it's time for me to meditate." Classic stuff!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:46 AM »

You're So Good to Me and Let's Go Away for Awhile, the two songs from the classic Brian era I find annoying as hell.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:16 AM »

Sumahama.

I agree.  Also Rock and Roll Music.  Blech.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 07:27:15 AM »

Another one I forgot to mention... Oh Darlin'. I hate the chorus. "Oh Da-ha-ha-ha-ling". Blah.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »

Sumahama.

I agree.  Also Rock and Roll Music.  Blech.

Rock and roll music for sure. A big mystery why they play it live.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rocksong.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 08:10:54 AM »

anything Joe Thomas is involved with.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »

This thread is annoying.
gfx