gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:26:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review Of "The Right Time" Single Posted On Examiner (Link)  (Read 28157 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

He seems to be reacting to the assumptions of other reviewers that Mike and Bruce are not on the album because of Mike.  He says that's lazy and inaccurate.  It looks like he's reacting to something, rather than simply defending Mike for the hell of it.  Doesn't mean he's a shill.  I'm not sure precisely what he's reacting to, but if there are lazy and inaccurate presentations of the politics being put about in other reviews, it's fine to take them up on it and most likely be a lone voice going against the tide.

It was based on the nonsense that I read in this review: http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/02/19/brian-wilson-the-right-time-review/
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »

This article is more about defending M&B than BW's new song.
Already 2 reader comment and they're both anti-Beard. One comment pointed to the fact that 28.9 % of the review was devoted to defending myKe luHv's absence on NPP. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"Everybody knows this would've been a Beach Boys album if it wasn't for the greed and idiocy of Mike Love, he'll need a better PR campaign than David Beard to avoid the mockery coming his way in every review of this album."

I guess some people really don't like that article!

Your statement about Mike is inaccurate.  Maybe AGD will weigh in.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »

Already 2 reader comment and they're both anti-Beard. One comment pointed to the fact that 28.9 % of the review was devoted to defending myKe luHv's absence on NPP. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"Everybody knows this would've been a Beach Boys album if it wasn't for the greed and idiocy of Mike Love, he'll need a better PR campaign than David Beard to avoid the mockery coming his way in every review of this album."

I guess some people really don't like that article!

Your statement about Mike is inaccurate.  Maybe AGD will weigh in.

Not my statement. It's a comment from the Examiner, fyi.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »

On Brian's own website we read this: "Wilson initially envisioned the sessions for his new album with The Beach Boys in mind, but that was not to be."

It's there in black and white that this was originally planned as a Beach Boys album, including Mike and Bruce.

Please delete my account
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »

+1

+1…

In fact it ain't really a review. There's practically no comment on the musical content/ arrangement/ melody etc.

The comment on the political situation relating to the line-up behind the album overwhelms it. A shame.

Sadly, I also  have to agree; and noting the >28.9% < comment above, I'd say it's more like 50% (or more) Love defense. What after all is this: 
>>As the late Terry Melcher once stated, "Brian's sound is about love." Do we really believe for one second that Wilson would be able to produce a new 16-track album if he couldn't find his muse? Could he really be so angry at Love, and still create beautiful music? Have you ever known Brian to be angry? Maybe the most important question is, why — when we've waited for three years — is anyone who isn't on the album even in the conversation? <<

Make one wonder why a > review < of NPP would  need to mention Mike Love at all !!   And has been pointed out, it didn't. Dave Beard has unfortunately crossed the line, over any protestations he will make now in his defense, to being a shill for Mike.
ESQ credibilty goes down the drain. 

Bgas, you're a memorabilia collector.  What credibility do you have?

My review asks everyone to focus on the music.  Since this is only one song, and the press release mentions the fact that it was intended as Beach Boys album… Now, with one song, was the time to tackle it.

When the album is released, and all the tracks are reviewed, it will be done without any mention of Mike.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »

+1

+1…

In fact it ain't really a review. There's practically no comment on the musical content/ arrangement/ melody etc.

The comment on the political situation relating to the line-up behind the album overwhelms it. A shame.

Sadly, I also  have to agree; and noting the >28.9% < comment above, I'd say it's more like 50% (or more) Love defense. What after all is this: 
>>As the late Terry Melcher once stated, "Brian's sound is about love." Do we really believe for one second that Wilson would be able to produce a new 16-track album if he couldn't find his muse? Could he really be so angry at Love, and still create beautiful music? Have you ever known Brian to be angry? Maybe the most important question is, why — when we've waited for three years — is anyone who isn't on the album even in the conversation? <<

Make one wonder why a > review < of NPP would  need to mention Mike Love at all !!   And has been pointed out, it didn't. Dave Beard has unfortunately crossed the line, over any protestations he will make now in his defense, to being a shill for Mike.

My review asks everyone to focus on the music.  Since this is only one song, and the press release mentions the fact that it was intended as Beach Boys album… Now, with one song, was the time to tackle it.

When the album is released, and all the tracks are reviewed, it will be done without any mention of Mike.

At this point, I'd say I have as much credibility as you.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »

+1

+1…

You'd be wrong.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »

@Pretty Funky

David Beard uses Brian's latest song as an excuse to defend Mike Love in this ongoing war kind of thing. So it comes across as a ML PR product and not so much as a review.

Whats this 'ongoing war'? I'm missing a lot today.

Debbie...Agreed. The use of 'we' can imply us all. Obviously not the case.

Thanks Pretty Funky...""... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today..." just sends me into orbit!  We wait for Brian's new music because of whom, then?  It's so damn insulting to Brian, and a ridiculous statement.  Brian is Brian!  How can that possibly be debatable?

I don't even know what to say... I am indeed interested in Brian's music because of who he is today. If I only cared about young Brian, I wouldn't. It's what separates Brian from someone like Rod Stewart. That's all I gotta say about that, so yeah I agree Debbie.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:59:21 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »

"... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today, we wait because of the amazing music Wilson created between 1962-1970 as a member of The Beach Boys. That's the truth..."  Please don't include me in your "we," sir.  Yes, I fell in love with Brian's music in 1962, but I love Brian's solo work and his band, and have looked forward to each of his new records.  If there's one thing this record proves (as if "Brian Wilson," TLOS, and BWPS as examples, didn't), it's that it doesn't really matter who Brian's working with as long as they have the talent to express his creative vision.

Debbie, you selectively left out: "Brian has had plenty of interesting musical moments over the years, but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care.

But we do care. And we should.

We fall in love with Wilson's muse each time he releases anything musical. With good reason. Brian's knack for unique compositional and vocal arrangements are a one-of-a-kind. The California-based architect of music is a living legend, and if we spend our time on anything other than the music, we miss out."

This text echoes your sentiment.

Yes, I left that out - I'm not certain how "selectively" - as I was trying not to include the entire article in a single post.  I certainly don’t feel that your comments echo my sentiments.  Saying that there were, “interesting musical moments” hardly shows respect for his solo career.  You are still saying that "We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today" and I find that to be insulting to the man who produced this music far beyond 1970 - like in the last few years, which is the music you’re supposedly reviewing. “…but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care…” implies that the Beach Boys defined Brian as an artist, rather than the other way around.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 03:01:36 PM »

@Pretty Funky

David Beard uses Brian's latest song as an excuse to defend Mike Love in this ongoing war kind of thing. So it comes across as a ML PR product and not so much as a review.

Whats this 'ongoing war'? I'm missing a lot today.

Debbie...Agreed. The use of 'we' can imply us all. Obviously not the case.

Thanks Pretty Funky...""... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today..." just sends me into orbit!  We wait for Brian's new music because of whom, then?  It's so damn insulting to Brian, and a ridiculous statement.  Brian is Brian!  How can that possibly be debatable?

I don't even know what to say... I am indeed interested in Brian's music because of who he is today. If I only cared about young Brian, I wouldn't. It's what separates Brian from someone like Rod Stewart. That's all I gotta say about that, other than I agree Debbie.

The point being made was, without those career-defining hits, there would have been no Beach Boys or Brian Wilson. Meaning: because of Pet Sounds, and all the other great music (and hit songs), we always look forward to something new from Brian.    
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »

+1

+1…

You'd be wrong.

What's that they say about opinions being  like you, Dave?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »

"... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today, we wait because of the amazing music Wilson created between 1962-1970 as a member of The Beach Boys. That's the truth..."  Please don't include me in your "we," sir.  Yes, I fell in love with Brian's music in 1962, but I love Brian's solo work and his band, and have looked forward to each of his new records.  If there's one thing this record proves (as if "Brian Wilson," TLOS, and BWPS as examples, didn't), it's that it doesn't really matter who Brian's working with as long as they have the talent to express his creative vision.

Debbie, you selectively left out: "Brian has had plenty of interesting musical moments over the years, but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care.

We fall in love with Wilson's muse each time he releases anything musical. With good reason. Brian's knack for unique compositional and vocal arrangements are a one-of-a-kind. The California-based architect of music is a living legend, and if we spend our time on anything other than the music, we miss out."

Yes, I left that out - I'm not certain how "selectively" - as I was trying not to include the entire article in a single post.  I certainly don’t feel that your comments echo my sentiments.  Saying that there were, “interesting musical moments” hardly shows respect for his solo career.  You are still saying that "We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today" and I find that to be insulting to the man who produced this music far beyond 1970 - like in the last few years, which is the music you’re supposedly reviewing. “…but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care…” implies that the Beach Boys defined Brian as an artist, rather than the other way around.

I think you took this out of context.  That Lucky Old Sun and Reimagines Gershwin are among my favorites.  I did not suggest he hasn't done anything worthwhile. 
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »

+1

+1…

You'd be wrong.

What's that they say about opinions being  like you, Dave?

Look in the mirror. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »

Mike Love is destroying our fan base like he already did to the real Beach Boys.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »

Nah, I think we're doing a great job of that ourselves.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

If Brian's intentions were to have nobody ever think of Mike Love, or his role (or lack thereof) in this project, and all the history behind it, he wouldn't have entitled his album No Pier Pressure. It's a statement on *some* level. C'mon. To say it's NOT a statement is like saying that "I'm Bugged at My Old Man" is in no way, shape or form, remotely referencing Murry.

Much like in that instance, Brian is humorously laughing off someone who has been a thorn in his side. Some people may want to be ostriches and put their heads in the sand, but it's pretty clear to me. IMHO. For the article's author to suggest that actual history can somehow be removed from the subject when analyzing the record and thinking about its place in BB history, well... I think that's just plain ridiculous.

And also, the article suggests we must think about the past... in selective ways. Like saying, well be thankful for Mike Love because if not for him, Brian wouldn't have gotten famous (nor would the band), and you wouldn't be getting these wonderful BW gifts today. Which is true on some level. 

But at the same time, it's saying "specifically think about this historical series of events", and also specifically saying "don't think/talk/reference these other historical series of events". I get the idea that the author wants people to just be positive and not get caught up in negatives, but IMHO again, it's going about that good intention in the wrong way. You can't selectively ignore portions of the big picture. Some people in the story are simply going to reap what they've sewn.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:41:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »

If Brian's intentions were to have nobody ever think of Mike Love, or his role (or lack thereof) in this project, and all the history behind it, he wouldn't have entitled his album No Pier Pressure. It's a statement on *some* level. C'mon. To say it's NOT a statement is like saying that "I'm Bugged at My Old Man" is in no way, shape or form, remotely referencing Murry.

Much like in that instance, Brian is humorously laughing off someone who has been a thorn in his side. Some people may want to be ostriches and put their heads in the sand, but it's pretty clear to me. IMHO. For the article's author to suggest that actual history can somehow be removed from the subject when analyzing the record and thinking about its place in BB history, well... I think that's just plain ridiculous.

Did not suggest to remove history, in fact, I address it.  In any given situation it takes two to tangle.  Mike is not individually responsible for a non follow up to TWGMTR.  For the record: If this were an album release by Mike & Co. (with Al, David, etc.) and Brian was left out, I'd be totally against any inappropriate shots taken at Brian. 

My stance, is to support The Beach Boys.  All of them.  Not because I have to, or that I am beholden to them.  It's because I owe them a debt of thanks for changing my life with their music.  I just LOVE the music.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »

So why didn't you just talk about the music instead of launching into a preemptive defense of Mike Love?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »

My stance, is to support The Beach Boys.  All of them.  Not because I have to, or that I am beholden to them.  It's because I owe them a debt of thanks for changing my life with their music.  I just LOVE the music.

Please know: despite my gripes, I get that, and I respect that intention of yours.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »

So why didn't you just talk about the music instead of launching into a preemptive defense of Mike Love?

I did.  Apparently not enough for those here.  It is one song.  The way I'm going to review the album is to take the tracks that are Brian, Al, Blondie, David, etc. — which are 11 songs total — and review those separate of the other five songs (with the younger guest vocalists).

Eleven new songs is a solid album.  That's what I'm looking forward to the most.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 03:54:15 PM »

I found the review peculiar as well. It certainly now reads as though ESQ has taken a position in the dispute between Mike and Brian.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »

During the C50, Brian said he was done with a solo career, both in public and private. He has said he wrote these songs for the group. He also recruited a bunch of former Beach Boys to sing and play on the record. I don't know how, given this history, anyone can claim that Mike's decision to let the reunion fizzle isn't important, or doesn't provide valuable context for the music we're now hearing. Brian may indeed have refused to join Mike's touring band, or write alone with him in the proverbial room, or what not. But to dismiss Mike's role in this out of hand -- as the review does -- smacks of an attempt to curry favor.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »

I found the review peculiar as well. It certainly now reads as though ESQ has taken a position in the dispute between Mike and Brian.

Beach Boys Examiner is owned by AXS Entertainment.  Endless Summer Quarterly is not.  If you want to know what I — as the editor of ESQ — have to say about the song: It's gorgeous.  Very pretty.  Not quite a hair standing on your arms as "From There To Back Again," or as satisfying as "Pacific Coast Highway," but certainly as good as "That's Why God Made The Radio" and "Isn't It Time."

Brian's bass vocals are particularly interesting.  I'm willing to bet the best is yet to come.

That's my stance as the editor of ESQ on this message board.  
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »

Yes, I left that out - I'm not certain how "selectively" - as I was trying not to include the entire article in a single post.  I certainly don’t feel that your comments echo my sentiments.  Saying that there were, “interesting musical moments” hardly shows respect for his solo career.  You are still saying that "We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today" and I find that to be insulting to the man who produced this music far beyond 1970 - like in the last few years, which is the music you’re supposedly reviewing. “…but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care…” implies that the Beach Boys defined Brian as an artist, rather than the other way around.

I think you took this out of context.  That Lucky Old Sun and Reimagines Gershwin are among my favorites.  I did not suggest he hasn't done anything worthwhile.  

I see you've done some edits to the article since the original posting of it that I responded to by cutting and pasting it here for my reply.  That should be helpful.  I definitely saw no commentary in your review on TLOS or BWRG.

You've made a comment here that indicates another poster lacks credibility.  Since it is my understanding that Mike essentially removed himself from this record by ending the C50 tour, what can you share with us about what happened?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:18:59 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »

During the C50, Brian said he was done with a solo career, both in public and private. He has said he wrote these songs for the group. He also recruited a bunch of former Beach Boys to sing and play on the record. I don't know how, given this history, anyone can claim that Mike's decision to let the reunion fizzle isn't important, or doesn't provide valuable context for the music we're now hearing. Brian may indeed have refused to join Mike's touring band, or write alone with him in the proverbial room, or what not. But to dismiss Mike's role in this out of hand -- as the review does -- smacks of an attempt to curry favor.

Do you really believe that Mike — alone — let the tour fizzle?  This is 2015, not 2012, and I don't dismiss anyone's role in what took place in 2012.  

My interview with Joe Thomas about "Our Special Love" in the Winter 2014 edition of ESQ revealed that only the first part was initially written with the BB in mind, but the rest of the song was developed as a solo recording, that eventually ended up with Peter Hollens on it.  

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx