gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:01:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review Of "The Right Time" Single Posted On Examiner (Link)  (Read 28131 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »

It's going to be VERY interesting to read what Mike and Brian have to say about the C50 breakup in their upcoming books. Of course, Al Jardine has been known to spill the beans when people least expect it....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »

Mike has a weapon so good he is not willing to use it? I believe it when I see it.

Remember folks - more people have seen bigfoot than Mike's supposedly nuclear email.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:32:53 PM by All About That Bass » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »

There is no email, its all BS from Mike Love.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »

Thanks to Hank Briarstem for bringing up the issue of an on-stage use of gumball machines
(which never came to be). This points to the complexities of such a band and their decisionmaking.
And why everybody should just chill out. The one contact I have left from the old days (no names,
but I'll note he is a gardener at Brian's home, specializing in the crape myrtles) informed me that
the lone holdout in the 3-to-1 vote giving Mike charge of the touring band was Al Jardine, who actually
thought he was voting for changing that awful orthography of the band-branding to a Garamond script.
Have to say...he made sense.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »

Thanks to Hank Briarstem

Who's Hank Briarstem? 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »

Whether there is anything to hide about the C50 has yet to be proven but the argument that 'everyone does it' is known as  'The Golden Rationalization'. http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/rb_fallacies.html  "If someone really is making the argument that an action is no longer unethical because so many people do it, then that person is either in dire need of ethical instruction, or an idiot." (The Dissonance Drag in the above link is worth reading here too.)

And this has precisely what to do with the topic under discussion ?

Surely self evident?

Not at all. I stated, in response to your implication that Mike has something to hide re: the ending of C50, that everyone has something to hide, only to have you introduce a sizable communist kipper by introducing an axiom that has exactly nothing to do with my point as it somewhat fatuously states that if enough people do something, be it stamp collecting, satanic child abuse or being a Beach Boys fan, that makes it OK. If you're going to try and demonstrate your erudition to all gathered here, you might try to make it at least loosely connected to the original post. BTW, the sly imputation that I'm an idiot is... amusing. I'm many things, most of them regrettable, but I'm neither an idiot nor in need of "ethical instruction".

The main question I have is: why didn't Mike Love tell the LA Times? He had a great opportunity to clear the air and tell his side to an outlet that (as hard as that is to believe) has greater reach than AGD. So why the changing story?

Excellent question. I have no idea.

Spoken with the ultimate authority of someone whom knows exactly f*** all squared to the power of Π about the subject they're commenting on.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:01 AM »

I know enough that this email doesn't exist or is taken out of context to the point where you can't reveal it. Its a boogyman to absolve your boss of blame for killing the C50 and firing Brian/Al.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »

I have a hunch that what Mike is holding back from wanting to say, is for him to somehow point the finger at Melinda. I would think that it would have been (and would surely remain) mighty hard for him to say something negative about a BB bandmember's wife in a public interview without coming off in a very poor and unsympathetic (for his "cause") light. I still think whatever excuses we get in the book will just be a way of shifting blame away from himself and ego-based concerns, but I'm as curious as anyone else to hear what gets spun as the supposed "smoking gun" besides all we already publicly know. Maybe after consulting with a consortium of PR people and noted scholars + experts, he can find new and improved ways to blame others.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:14:30 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »

Exactly, CD. Its an ongoing process of avoiding blame for ending the C50 and keeping the real BBs out of existence.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »

Whether there is anything to hide about the C50 has yet to be proven but the argument that 'everyone does it' is known as  'The Golden Rationalization'. http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/rb_fallacies.html  "If someone really is making the argument that an action is no longer unethical because so many people do it, then that person is either in dire need of ethical instruction, or an idiot." (The Dissonance Drag in the above link is worth reading here too.)

And this has precisely what to do with the topic under discussion ?

Surely self evident?

Not at all. I stated, in response to your implication that Mike has something to hide re: the ending of C50, that everyone has something to hide, only to have you introduce a sizable communist kipper by introducing an axiom that has exactly nothing to do with my point as it somewhat fatuously states that if enough people do something, be it stamp collecting, satanic child abuse or being a Beach Boys fan, that makes it OK. If you're going to try and demonstrate your erudition to all gathered here, you might try to make it at least loosely connected to the original post. BTW, the sly imputation that I'm an idiot is... amusing. I'm many things, most of them regrettable, but I'm neither an idiot nor in need of "ethical instruction".

How does this have nothing to do with your post? You suggested that we all have something to hide as though that makes it alright. I gave the name suggested for this argument - the fact that everyone is hiding something doesn't make hiding something correct - it depends on the reasons and what exactly they are hiding. The quote from the link was just too much of a temptation. I don't really believe you are an idiot but I think that it is at least foolish to try and defend something using the tactics that you know something that we don't.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:45:14 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Ang was referring to the lack of ethics involved with using innuendo, and then when questioned about it, invoking some right to protect sources.  If there was no innuendo, there wouldn't be a problem, but it constantly arises here -including this thread.  It has grown tiresome, to say the least.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »

I know enough that this email doesn't exist or...

Ah ! Changing our horses in mid-stream, are we ? Suddenly, there might be such an email...  Grin

...is taken out of context to the point where you can't reveal it. Its a boogyman to absolve your boss of blame for killing the C50 and firing Brian/Al.

I can't believe you really are dumb enough to still be buying into the "Mike fired Brian/Alan/David" nonsense over two years since Brian - that's your Brian... Brian Wilson - admitted it wasn't true because he couldn't. No, belay that, actually I can.  LOL

As for "my boss"... last time I looked, I wasn't married and while my memory isn't what it used to be, I think I'd recall something like that happening.

Concerning the email, the full, complete and entire text has been quoted, and on this very forum, last summer.

The novellist Jerome K. Jerome once observed "I like work: it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours". I feel exactly the same about watching someone digging themselves a deeper and deeper hole.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »

You suggested that we all have something to hide as though that makes it alright.

I suggested nothing. Rather I stated that we all have something to hide, in response to your implication that Mike was in some way unique in this.... and I certainly never said that makes it alight: that's you putting words - your words - into my mouth. Again.

Everyone has closets. It's just the number and size of the skeletons therein which varies.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

I know enough that this email doesn't exist or...

Concerning the email, the full, complete and entire text has been quoted, and on this very forum, last summer.

The novellist Jerome K. Jerome once observed "I like work: it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours". I feel exactly the same about watching someone digging themselves a deeper and deeper hole.  Grin

Please direct us to this thread and post, Andrew.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »

I can't believe you really are dumb enough to still be buying into the "Mike fired Brian/Alan/David" nonsense over two years since Brian - that's your Brian... Brian Wilson - admitted it wasn't true because he couldn't. No, belay that, actually I can.  LOL

"it sure felt like being fired"
those were Brian's words. is he dumb, too?

I can't believe you are really smug and misleading enough to... no, belay that...
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »

I'm still waiting for Howie to explain why Jeff joining Mikes band was a big FU to Melinda form Jeff. I was basically told I wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

Please enlighten me. It should help clear up this other nonsense.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

Debbie, he will lose credibility in case he does not.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:32:41 PM by All About That Bass » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »

"it sure felt like being fired"
those were Brian's words. is he dumb, too?

I can't believe you are really smug and misleading enough to... no, belay that...

Brian's words, yes... but cherry picked out of context (and slightly inaccurately to boot):

"Now on to the rumors: As far as I know I can't be fired--that wouldn't be cool. The negativity surrounding all the comments bummed me out. What's confusing is that by Mike not wanting or letting Al, David and me tour with the band, it sort of feels like we're being fired."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-al-jardine-respond-to-mike-love-on-beach-boys-flap-20121008-story.html#page=1

Smug, sure. Misleading ?  Someone is, but it ain't me.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »

For them as patently can't use the search function...

The Endless Summer Quarterly feedback thread, reply #98

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

For them as patently can't use the search function...

The Endless Summer Quarterly feedback thread, reply #98

I am plowing through the Jones Beach thread at the moment. Ambha's take on the email was discussed there as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:32:28 PM by All About That Bass » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »

"No more touring for Wilson," IIRC.

Of course, the real question is what the email that prompted that one said. And no one has leaked it so far.

Maybe it said: "No more touring for Love."

Who knows?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:57:31 PM by Wirestone » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

"What's confusing is that by Mike not wanting or letting Al, David and me tour with the band, it sort of feels like we're being fired."

Smug, sure. Misleading ?  Someone is, but it ain't me.

thank you for the exact quote. let's examine it, shall we?

Brian states that Mike does not want and/or is not allowing he, Al, or David to continue touring with the band. yet your posts on the subject have always aimed at dispelling that "myth"

misleading was the most polite word I could think of.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

The myth that anyone fired, or could fire, anyone else... which as almost everyone here, being well versed in BRI 101, already knows is not possible. That some here actually do still believe this happened is, well... pitiful, really. As I've said, mental midgets.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »

The myth that anyone fired, or could fire, anyone else... which as almost everyone here, being well versed in BRI 101, already knows is not possible. That some here actually do still believe this happened is, well... pitiful, really. As I've said, mental midgets.
Ahhh yes!! When one can't engineer himself out from under the rock he got himself under, proceed to hurl playground inspired insults to those who frustrate your karma. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »

Whether or not Mike's actions actually, unequivocally, unarguably equated to "firing" his bandmates, it seems that the end result was essentially the same thing, and they felt they'd been fired (despite the BRI voting setup, which is no secret). When Brian Wilson and Al Jardine feel as though they'd been fired, that has to mean something. Nobody dared wanted to rock the boat enough to try and legally challenge Mike's actions, which would surely been a huge drain of financial and emotional resources, and without a doubt the specter of that has to have been a major factor (besides not wanting to cut off the money supply to Carl's estate). Mike's vindictive legal actions since Carl's passing have loudly and clearly stated "f with me and there will be huge trouble". Brian and Al would be crazy to willingly endure that grief at age 72+.

But as far as I can see it, the actions are about as close to "firing" as one could get to the term without specifically doing so. With the current BRI setup, can you tell me a way that Mike could have acted that was closer to firing than what actually transpired? The terminology is splitting hairs, but it's not a particularly dissimilar situation from actual firing, and it really doesn't strike me as particularly outrageous to infer that it's in the same ballpark... and I think you must admit that the term"myth" is too strong a term in the other direction.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:27:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx