gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680826 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:33:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review Of "The Right Time" Single Posted On Examiner (Link)  (Read 28159 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/review/brian-wilson-s-the-right-time-from-no-pier-pressure

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »

I disagree with the assertion that Matt is "doubling" Al. He (or whomever is doing the falsetto-type parts) is singing in the harmony stacks, not doubling Al's lead.

I'm also not sure why the review seems fixated on discussing Mike Love and reminding us it's not his "fault" he's not singing in this material. Brian's own press release for the album suggests this would/could have been another BB album. No more, no less. It surely wouldn't have been identical in composition as a BB album. But yeah, while it doesn't matter, it is probably by Mike's hand that he's not singing some of these sings with Brian as the BB's.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:31:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »

If it was indeed Mike's decision to not be involved in Brian's album than I think it was a really good decision on his part and we all benefit from it. Thank you Mike.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »

This article is more about defending M&B than BW's new song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

Even the name of the album could be taken as a dig at Mike. As HeyJude said: Brian's own press release suggested this could've been a Beach Boys album. I think it's something that Brian wants known. We're fans of the most SNAFU'd band in history  - it's completely logical for us to talk about the controversies on forums or in reviews.

For a review that tells us the music itself should take precedence over the controversies, it sure does spend a lot of time talking about those controversies...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »

maybe Mike is now writing articles about Brian and the Beach Boys under different Pen names.... LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »

Already 2 reader comment and they're both anti-Beard. One comment pointed to the fact that 28.9 % of the review was devoted to defending myKe luHv's absence on NPP. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »

Already 2 reader comment and they're both anti-Beard. One comment pointed to the fact that 28.9 % of the review was devoted to defending myKe luHv's absence on NPP. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"Everybody knows this would've been a Beach Boys album if it wasn't for the greed and idiocy of Mike Love, he'll need a better PR campaign than David Beard to avoid the mockery coming his way in every review of this album."

I guess some people really don't like that article!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »

"... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today, we wait because of the amazing music Wilson created between 1962-1970 as a member of The Beach Boys. That's the truth..."  Please don't include me in your "we," sir.  Yes, I fell in love with Brian's music in 1962, but I love Brian's solo work and his band, and have looked forward to each of his new records.  If there's one thing this record proves (as if "Brian Wilson," TLOS, and BWPS as examples, didn't), it's that it doesn't really matter who Brian's working with as long as they have the talent to express his creative vision.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »

+1
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

Even the name of the album could be taken as a dig at Mike. 

I don't think it's even a remote matter of "could"...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »

I must be reading a different story. I read it as Brian has a good song and possible better album on his, and his collaborators own merits rather than what Mike and the Beach Boys name could have bought to the table.

..'In fact, it is unfair to Wilson, Jardine, Marks, Blondie Chaplin (who appears on "Sail Away") and the myriad of other great artists who appear on No Pier Pressure, that anyone would take the time to make derogatory comments towards Brian's cousin, and/or spend any time not focused on Wilson's muse and how fortunate we are to have a brand new "Deluxe Edition" that includes 16 new Brian Wilson recordings. The music is the story, but they've got to get you to read their reviews somehow, so they cast dispersions to create controversy. That is a tremendously horrible thing to do to Brian on the eve of a brand new recording and music video.'...

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

@Pretty Funky

David Beard uses Brian's latest song as an excuse to defend Mike Love in this ongoing war kind of thing. So it comes across as a ML PR product and not so much as a review.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:28:12 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

I must be reading a different story. I read it as Brian has a good song and possible better album on his, and his collaborators own merits rather than what Mike and the Beach Boys name could have bought to the table.

Please see my post above to see why there is steam coming out of my ears.  There is no excuse for that sentence to anyone who loves Brian's solo work.  Mr. Beard needs to speak for himself.  I'm perfectly capable of doing the same.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

@Pretty Funky

David Beard uses Brian's latest song as an excuse to defend Mike Love in this ongoing war kind of thing. So it comes across as a ML PR product and not so much as a review.

Whats this 'ongoing war'? I'm missing a lot today.

Debbie...Agreed. The use of 'we' can imply us all. Obviously not the case.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »

@Pretty Funky

Whats this 'ongoing war'? I'm missing a lot today.

Debbie...Agreed. The use of 'we' can imply us all. Obviously not the case.

Thanks Pretty Funky...""... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today..." just sends me into orbit!  We wait for Brian's new music because of whom, then?  It's so damn insulting to Brian, and a ridiculous statement.  Brian is Brian!  How can that possibly be debatable?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »

+1

+1…

In fact it ain't really a review. There's practically no comment on the musical content/ arrangement/ melody etc.

The comment on the political situation relating to the line-up behind the album overwhelms it. A shame.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »

+1

+1…

In fact it ain't really a review. There's practically no comment on the musical content/ arrangement/ melody etc.

The comment on the political situation relating to the line-up behind the album overwhelms it. A shame.

Sadly, I also  have to agree; and noting the >28.9% < comment above, I'd say it's more like 50% (or more) Love defense. What after all is this: 
>>As the late Terry Melcher once stated, "Brian's sound is about love." Do we really believe for one second that Wilson would be able to produce a new 16-track album if he couldn't find his muse? Could he really be so angry at Love, and still create beautiful music? Have you ever known Brian to be angry? Maybe the most important question is, why — when we've waited for three years — is anyone who isn't on the album even in the conversation? <<

Make one wonder why a > review < of NPP would  need to mention Mike Love at all !!   And has been pointed out, it didn't. Dave Beard has unfortunately crossed the line, over any protestations he will make now in his defense, to being a shill for Mike.
ESQ credibilty goes down the drain. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »

I don't know, I don't think this review is all that surprising. While I'm sure we would all much prefer one that actually discusses the quality - or lack thereof- of the music, it's quite common to pad out reviews by talking about the band's/album's/singe's history, or your own personal history with the band/album/single. It's not a particularly good way of reviewing something, but a lot of people do it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »

I don't know, I don't think this review is all that surprising. While I'm sure we would all much prefer one that actually discusses the quality - or lack thereof- of the music, it's quite common to pad out reviews by talking about the band's/album's/singe's history, or your own personal history with the band/album/single. It's not a particularly good way of reviewing something, but a lot of people do it.

>> It's not a particularly good way of reviewing something, but a lot of people do it. << 
 I don't know about anyone else, and certainly can speak ONLY for myself, but what I expect from the >>editor and publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly the world’s leading Beach Boys fanzine<< is not a petty shilling for Mike Love.
And on further review, I'd say the non-Mike Love defense takes up 75% of the >>review<<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

Only 3 sentences in this review actually talk about the song itself. I guess I find it ironic that the core message of the review is basically: talk about the music ("the music is the story") - and the review does pretty much the opposite. So it is surprising in that regard.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »

You could argue that it's an informed opinion piece about Beach Boys politics; you could argue that it's an opinion piece about the album line-up… but I think calling it a "review" is incorrect.

“We live in divisive times.”
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »

He seems to be reacting to the assumptions of other reviewers that Mike and Bruce are not on the album because of Mike.  He says that's lazy and inaccurate.  It looks like he's reacting to something, rather than simply defending Mike for the hell of it.  Doesn't mean he's a shill.  I'm not sure precisely what he's reacting to, but if there are lazy and inaccurate presentations of the politics being put about in other reviews, it's fine to take them up on it and most likely be a lone voice going against the tide.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »

"... We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today, we wait because of the amazing music Wilson created between 1962-1970 as a member of The Beach Boys. That's the truth..."  Please don't include me in your "we," sir.  Yes, I fell in love with Brian's music in 1962, but I love Brian's solo work and his band, and have looked forward to each of his new records.  If there's one thing this record proves (as if "Brian Wilson," TLOS, and BWPS as examples, didn't), it's that it doesn't really matter who Brian's working with as long as they have the talent to express his creative vision.

Debbie, you selectively left out: "Brian has had plenty of interesting musical moments over the years, but without those career-defining albums from The Beach Boys, we wouldn't care.

But we do care. And we should.

We fall in love with Wilson's muse each time he releases anything musical. With good reason. Brian's knack for unique compositional and vocal arrangements are a one-of-a-kind. The California-based architect of music is a living legend, and if we spend our time on anything other than the music, we miss out."

This text echoes your sentiment.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »

..'In fact, it is unfair to Wilson, Jardine, Marks, Blondie Chaplin (who appears on "Sail Away") and the myriad of other great artists who appear on No Pier Pressure, that anyone would take the time to make derogatory comments towards Brian's cousin, and/or spend any time not focused on Wilson's muse and how fortunate we are to have a brand new "Deluxe Edition" that includes 16 new Brian Wilson recordings. The music is the story, but they've got to get you to read their reviews somehow, so they cast dispersions to create controversy. That is a tremendously horrible thing to do to Brian on the eve of a brand new recording and music video.'...

You got it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx