gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680775 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:44:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'The Beach Boys' Live....  (Read 10412 times)
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2015, 02:32:14 AM »

Hey all, new member here, I'm sure this has been covered before so feel free to link me to another thread...

'The Beach Boys' (Mike, Bruce) are playing my hometown in May, fourty quid a pop. Of those of you who've been, is it worth it? I'm really more of a Brian Wilson fan and not overally flush with cash. I'm torn between saying 'I've seen the Beach Boys live' but don't want to waste my time if it's a bit like a tribute act (which I suspect it might feel like).

So, is it a good night?

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:37 AM »

It's a good night.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 02:58:55 AM »

*Buying a popcorn machine*
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:03:45 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:38 AM »

It's probably a very good show!  The band's really tight, and infinitely better than a decade or so ago when the then-backing-band got a dodgy rep.  If you're looking for the artistic side of things -- it depends on the venue how many "interesting" deep cuts they do.  Some sets are very meat-and-potatoes, others get more into the obscure side of things.  They've pulled out some surprising tracks in recent years!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »

Save your money for the real deal, Brian Wilson. Don't fritter away your money on some tribute band with only one original member who hams up the show with stale jokes and points at sheeple in the audience. Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »

Since you're saying forty quid, I'm assuming you're somewhere in the UK, which means you'll probably get one of the better shows M&B do with longer sets and deeper cuts.

The way I like to put it is; twenty years from now, are you going to regret going to the show, or regret not going to a Beach Boys show?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »

If you only have funds for one then BW - if you're sure he'll come close enough. But both shows are good nights.

Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:46 AM »

Hey all, new member here, I'm sure this has been covered before so feel free to link me to another thread...

'The Beach Boys' (Mike, Bruce) are playing my hometown in May, fourty quid a pop. Of those of you who've been, is it worth it? I'm really more of a Brian Wilson fan and not overally flush with cash. I'm torn between saying 'I've seen the Beach Boys live' but don't want to waste my time if it's a bit like a tribute act (which I suspect it might feel like).

So, is it a good night?

If you go with an open mind then there`s no reason why you wouldn`t enjoy it.

The last couple of tours they have done in the U.K. they have played 50+ songs including numerous rarities.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »

The band sounds great. You should go check it out, even if it's just once. I've seen the Mike & Bruce show more than ten times and I'm telling you they're better than ever, especially with Jeff Foskett in the group. Is it a tribute band? Yeah I guess so, but it's a tribute band with 2 actual Beach Boys and some great musicians. You will enjoy the music very much and you'll be surrounded by lots of fans having a damn good time! Of course Mike Love will tell his corny jokes (hasn't he always done that?). They play a huge setlist and it's pretty much one song after another...bang bang bang! Check it out.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

Well worth it, and they sometimes drop in deeeeeeeeep cuts for the U.K. fans.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »

Save your money for the real deal, Brian Wilson. Don't fritter away your money on some tribute band with only one original member who hams up the show with stale jokes and points at sheeple in the audience. Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

As I've said before, you should never take people who use the term "sheeple" seriously.

But honestly, it depends on what your expectations are.  If you're looking for a musically incredible experience that meticulously recreates the sound of the Beach Boys records, you'd be disappointed.  But if you're just looking for a fun time out to see one of the original Beach Boys play some rough but competent versions of the hits with some replacement singers and you just want to sing along, yeah, go for it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:27:20 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »

As I've said before, you should never take people who use the term "sheeple" seriously.

But honestly, it depends on what your expectations are.  If you're looking for a musically incredible experience that meticulously recreates the sound of the Beach Boys records, you'd be disappointed.  But if you're just looking for a fun time out to see one of the original Beach Boys play some rough but competent versions of the hits with some replacement singers and you just want to sing along, yeah, go for it.

Caveat: I haven't been to an actual BBs concert for as long as many of the members here have been alive 

Yet I'd venture that many here would disagree with your assessment.
Brian's shows strive to meticulously recreate the musical sound of the Beach Boys on Record; but generally there's ONLY ONE original Beach Boy with some replacement singers on stage.
Mike's  touring group  strives to authentically recreate the same sound that has been made by the touring Beach Boys for as long as they've been a touring group.

So to the original poster, I'd say: If what you want to hear is Brian only, go only to his shows. If  not, try the Beach Boys concert. It sounds as if you'll have a great experience

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »

I'm not saying a Brian solo concert would be an authentic Beach Boys experience either.  But I saw the Beach Boys live only once, on the incredible 2012 tour so I'm just saying if you have expectations to see a concert like that, you would be disappointed.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

From all I've heard (reviews, videos, audio recordings) you'll see a very cool show and certainly will have a lot of fun. But unfortunately you come too late to see "The Beach Boys". The last time you could was 2012 and I don't think it will ever happen again. Nowadays you (again) have at least two very good bands playing the songs (Brian&Al - Mike&Bruce, David Marks joining from time to time and I don't know what will happen with Blondie and Ricky in the future) but The Beach Boys is over.
If you got the time and the money I'd say you should definitely check out Mike&Bruce.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »

Cheers for all your replies guys, it's nice to see a positive general concensus.

I am certainly going to try and go, it's just persuading the the missus (who likes to BB too, in  a less obsessive way) that £80 + babysitter + merch (gotta consider the merch!) is gonna fly.

Do people think that BW will hit the North of England on this 'fall tour' then? I would probably consider selling one of my kids for that one  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »

Which gig? I have a ticket for Manchester (and both RAH gigs)…

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »

Alas....Sheffield, if anyone is meeting up for it though, I'd certainly be up for a chin-wag over a pint...

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »

You couldn't really say you've seen the 'Beach Boys' live, but it's well worth seeing Mike and Bruce.  It's different to a Brian show, but I would say there's a degree of authenticity when seeing Mike in that you get an original Beach Boy voice still sounding like it, and it's the lead voice of all those hits.

The UK shows will be great.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »

I've seen M&B four times and every time I've absolutely loved it, and I'm the kind of person that goes to a gig for the music not just to drink and get rowdy. That said every time I've seen M&B so far has been at a racecourse or festival so I'm super excited to the upcoming theatre venue tour. I'll be at Sheffield too, Rentatris, (and also Manchester and the 2nd RAH date) which I'm the most excited about. Sheffield is my 2nd home city and it'll be the closest to home turf I'll ever have seen the 'Boys.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »

Cheers for all your replies guys, it's nice to see a positive general concensus.

I am certainly going to try and go, it's just persuading the the missus (who likes to BB too, in  a less obsessive way) that £80 + babysitter + merch (gotta consider the merch!) is gonna fly.

If it's a UK gig...  well, what I said about setlists?  The UK gets a *lot* more of the deep cuts and generally longer shows.  Put it this way -- after what people who saw Mike & Bruce's last big UK tour have said, I'd go to a gig there like a shot!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »

The Touring Beach Boys are great: the original lead singer, with the songs in the original keys. Can't be beat. The songs that made them famous about surfin', cars and girls. Money well spent! (And you can watch Bruce Johnston adjust his microphone alot).
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »

I think you should go.  It's not going to happen for too many more years.  The songs are GREAT.  They're fun to hear live.  If Mike is 'ON' it'll be worth it.  I think you might regret not grabbing the chance to do it while there's still time.  [the clock is ticking]

I'm going to go this summer IF they ever wrap up the deal they agreed to verbally with the Rotary Club here.  It'll be the FIRST time attending a Beach Boys show since Carl died.  W/O him I just didn't really think I could enjoy it.  I've reconsidered...given the 'hour'.

ALL THAT SAID.  Do NOT miss catching Brian live if the music is truly important to you.  It is to BRIAN and it's performed that way. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:22:48 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »

So, is it a good night?

I'm mostly a Brian guy too and have only ever seen Brian solo when he was really really REALLY on form - the gig after which he said something like he'd go back to Europe tomorrow if he could, or something like that. It was so good I almost don't want to see Brian again, because it was the perfect Brian experience for me and I don't see how it could possibly be topped.

That said, I still want to to see Mike & Bruce. They were integral parts of this music we enjoy so much, Mike in particular. He's still here, he's still very much the Mike Love - I mean when you look at 60's footage of the guy compared to current footage of him, there's no doubt about it, that's THE Mike Love. I want to see his part of the show for what it is first hand. You know what song made me LOVE the Beach Boys? The Warmth Of The Sun. On the Good Morning, Vietnam soundtrack, I believe, which I bought on cassette from a charity shop. Mike wrote those words that made me love this band. That guy's still around? That guy's still performing? f*** yeah, I want to see him!

Even if you saw the reunion tour (you mmphfffbbmphff lucky mphhrffeers) you can only ever see pieces of the Beach Boys now. The Beach Boys without Carl or Dennis, to me isn't the Beach Boys no matter how you bill it. That there are these iterations and parts floating around putting on great shows, 50 years later is a miracle. If you have the money, do yourself a favour and experience all of the living parts of this most beautiful of bands that you can. Set your prejudices aside and hear the music.

Do you have money for a ticket? Ok, imagine you read in the paper next week 'Mike Love, founding Beach Boys member dead' and you didn't go. Would you be kicking yourself for the rest of your life? Well, I hate to be morbid, but if the answers are yes and yes, don't cheat yourself out of the experience.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:23:54 PM by elnombre » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 02:16:44 AM »

If it were a choice between Brian and M&B, go see Brian, but I'm guessing it's not, so go. First time I saw them I was expecting the worst - I had a freebie and don't think I would've gone if I'd had to pay. They were great. Mike's singing was nowhere near as nasal and whiny as it was through the 80s and 90s - at least not until the medley. The opening numbers were performed with a punk-like intensity and, presumably because Brian had upped the game at the time, they played a few deeper cuts. The next time they came, I willingly paid and they were even better - and they had David Marks with them. You'll regret it if you miss them.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »

It's a good night.

Pretty much this. If you like to hear good musicians put on a solid show, you won't be disappointed seeing Mike Love's band. Especially if  you're a fan of the hit songs of The Beach Boys.

If the lack of Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, Carl Wilson, or Dennis Wilson is going to put a damper on the amount of enjoyment you would get from living these more than adequate renditions of songs you like, may as well pass, and spend your evening alone at home listening to one of The Beach Boys' recorded albums of live musical offerings....

If money's not an issue, just go. It's only a matter of time before nobody at all will be able to see the REAL members of The Beach Boys performing live in concert. Personally, I'd take any Brian, Mike, Al, Dave, & Bruce shows I could afford.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx