gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:34:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'The Beach Boys' Live....  (Read 10398 times)
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

Based on the replies on here making some really good points and recommendations I've just ordered 2 tickets for Sheffield's Beach Boys gig.
I called in a birthday present I hadn't had yet.
Can't wait! 

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »

Awesome! Hope you have a blast! I'm going to see them in April in Rhode Island.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 09:02:40 AM »

From all I've heard (reviews, videos, audio recordings) you'll see a very cool show and certainly will have a lot of fun. But unfortunately you come too late to see "The Beach Boys". The last time you could was 2012 and I don't think it will ever happen again. Nowadays you (again) have at least two very good bands playing the songs (Brian&Al - Mike&Bruce, David Marks joining from time to time and I don't know what will happen with Blondie and Ricky in the future) but The Beach Boys is over.
If you got the time and the money I'd say you should definitely check out Mike&Bruce.

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform was the summer of 1997.  Every version since has been lacking, though the 2012 tour came closer than any other.

And to the OP:  Since my knowledge on the value of a quid – much less "fourty" of them – is nonexistent, I can be of no help to you.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »

From all I've heard (reviews, videos, audio recordings) you'll see a very cool show and certainly will have a lot of fun. But unfortunately you come too late to see "The Beach Boys". The last time you could was 2012 and I don't think it will ever happen again. Nowadays you (again) have at least two very good bands playing the songs (Brian&Al - Mike&Bruce, David Marks joining from time to time and I don't know what will happen with Blondie and Ricky in the future) but The Beach Boys is over.
If you got the time and the money I'd say you should definitely check out Mike&Bruce.

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform was the summer of 1997.  Every version since has been lacking, though the 2012 tour came closer than any other.

And to the OP:  Since my knowledge on the value of a quid – much less "fourty" of them – is nonexistent, I can be of no help to you.

Apples/Oranges; Was Dennis in attendance the summer of 1997?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »

No, and I missed Dennis as much as anyone following his death in '83.  But the Boys were still the Boys as long as Carl's voice, guitar and presence were part of the mix.  When Carl died, sadly the band died too.  There's really no disputing that fact.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »

No, and I missed Dennis as much as anyone following his death in '83.  But the Boys were still the Boys as long as Carl's voice, guitar and presence were part of the mix.  When Carl died, sadly the band died too.  There's really no disputing that fact.

It's easy to dispute as it's not a fact;
They could be the BBs with any individual member(s) MIA so long as it was still possible for them to appear; W/O any possibilty of a Dennis appearance they weren't " The Beach Boys".

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »

Looks like Mr Marks will be joining the UK tour

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Nicko1234
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »

Yep and he just posted on his Facebook page:

`Band politics can bite me. It’s all about the music and I just want to play Beach Boys music on stage as often as I can because it’s what I love to do. I love Brian, Mike and Al and negative comments about any of my friends or bandmates will be deleted. Keep your negativity off my page, please.`
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »

Most excellent !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »

`Band politics can bite me. It’s all about the music and I just want to play Beach Boys music on stage as often as I can because it’s what I love to do. I love Brian, Mike and Al and negative comments about any of my friends or bandmates will be deleted. Keep your negativity off my page, please.`
Seriously, these guys fight less amongst themselves, than we do about them. I think we should all do as Dave is doing and take the high road.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »

Pity they're not coming to Scotland  Huh
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform was the summer of 1997.  Every version since has been lacking, though the 2012 tour came closer than any other.

And to the OP:  Since my knowledge on the value of a quid – much less "fourty" of them – is nonexistent, I can be of no help to you.

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform outside a recording studio was some time in 1965 when Brian rejoined the group for a few occasional gigs after leaving the touring group in late 1964. The boys were only the Beach Boys as long as Brian's old voice, bass guitar and presence were part of the mix.  When Brian left, sadly the band died.  There's really no disputing that fact. OR IS IT???!? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:32:57 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »

Seriously, these guys fight less amongst themselves, than we do about them. I think we should all do as Dave is doing and take the high road.

That's only natural. Their actions provide the impetus for our speculation, discussion and opinions. It's just what fans do.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform outside a recording studio was some time in 1965 when Brian rejoined the group for a few occasional gigs after leaving the touring group IN LATE !)&$. The boys were only the Beach Boys as long as Brian's old voice, bass guitar and presence were part of the mix.  When Brian left, sadly the band died.  There's really no disputing that fact. OR IS IT???!? Roll Eyes

Touché…I guess.

But the point is: The Beach Boys did die as a band shortly after Carl's death. And – all condescension aside – there really is no disputing that fact.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »

Must disagree. The last time anyone saw "The Beach Boys" perform outside a recording studio was some time in 1965 when Brian rejoined the group for a few occasional gigs after leaving the touring group IN LATE !)&$. The boys were only the Beach Boys as long as Brian's old voice, bass guitar and presence were part of the mix.  When Brian left, sadly the band died.  There's really no disputing that fact. OR IS IT???!? Roll Eyes

Touché…I guess.

But the point is: The Beach Boys did die as a band shortly after Carl's death. And – all condescension aside – there really is no disputing that fact.

Really don't know why you seem to think your opinion, and ONLY your opinion is a fact  Sounds bloody bull-headed to me.
Fact is the Beach Boys are still touring, so as a band they haven't died yet, even tho some of us believe they stopped in 1965 / 1983 / 1997 or... 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »

I've been to numerous shows of both Mike and Brian.   I have tickete to see Mike's Beacboys in Nashville at the Ryman on March 22nd.  first show of his with foskett I will see.   I've enjoyed Mikes band tremendously with Scott and Cowsill.  I'm hoping this will be even better.     sure, if u have limited funds you have to choose.    but I would not rule out having a great nite at a Mike show.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »

Touché…I guess.

Really don't know why you seem to think your opinion, and ONLY your opinion is a fact  Sounds bloody bull-headed to me.
Fact is the Beach Boys are still touring, so as a band they haven't died yet, even tho some of us believe they stopped in 1965 / 1983 / 1997 or... 

Sorry, bgas; wasn't trying to be bullheaded.  I thought it was a known fact that the touring band broke up after Carl's death.  But I do agree with your argument that a band known as the Beach Boys exists today.  And I'm glad that Mike and Bruce are keeping the band's music alive.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »

Brian rejoined the group for a few occasional gigs after leaving the touring group IN LATE !)&$.

Darn caps. Embarrassed Fixed it now in the original post.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »

Touché…I guess.

Sorry, bgas; wasn't trying to be bullheaded.  I thought it was a known fact that the touring band broke up after Carl's death.  But I do agree with your argument that a band known as the Beach Boys exists today.  And I'm glad that Mike and Bruce are keeping the band's music alive.

The classic lineup died with Carl, if not Dennis. I think though, that as long as there is some direct lineage to the original band there will always be a Beach Boys touring group. I have to admit I often wonder if Mike and Bruce or BRI have discussed plans for the 'name' in the event that they pass on or are no longer able to perform. Of course this would be too morbid a subject to ask them about directly, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »

the music will outlive the creators.     foster, Gershwin, Carmichael, Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:12 PM »

Touché…I guess.

The classic lineup died with Carl, if not Dennis. I think though, that as long as there is some direct lineage to the original band there will always be a Beach Boys touring group. I have to admit I often wonder if Mike and Bruce or BRI have discussed plans for the 'name' in the event that they pass on or are no longer able to perform. Of course this would be too morbid a subject to ask them about directly, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered.
Well, Mike is going to live to be 100, so that "passing of the baton" is a ways off. But when Dr. Love does finally take that trip to the other side, the Beach Boys name will revert to Brian - because Brian is going to outlive all of them.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx