gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: brian's vocals in the early 70s  (Read 4534 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:58:55 PM »

i'm trying to come up with a list of songs from this era he helped sing vocals on...
-this whole world? (i know it's carl on lead)
-add somemusic
-susie cincinatti?
-Deidre?
-All I wanna Do
-Forever
-Our Sweet Love
-at my window
-cool cool water
-disney girls?
-take a load off your feet
-feel flows?
-any So Tough tunes?
-sail on sailor?
-begining of California
-My Solution
-Big Sur (early take)?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »

He's all over Slip On Through. Also Games Two Can Play.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 12:11:27 AM »

i'm trying to come up with a list of songs from this era he helped sing vocals on...
-this whole world? (i know it's carl on lead)
-add somemusic
-susie cincinatti?
-Deidre?
-All I wanna Do
-Forever
-Our Sweet Love
-at my window
-cool cool water
-disney girls?
-take a load off your feet
-feel flows?
-any So Tough tunes?
-sail on sailor?
-begining of California
-My Solution
-Big Sur (early take)?
Let's see he is also on It's About Time, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, Disney Girls, Don't Go Near The Water Til I Die, Tree, A few new vocals on Surf's Up at the end, Marcella, Mess Of Help, Cuddle Up, Sound Of Free, Steamboat, Fairtale, Funky Pretty, The whole Spring LP and 45 Don't You Just Know It, All Life Is One,  Harmonica on Holland's Big Sur, I Just Got My Pay, H.E.L.P. Plus scores of unreleased tracks. Hardly the recluse of legend
XY
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:58 AM »

"Good Time" from LOVE YOU
"Silly Walls" - unrel. with David Sandler & American Spring
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:16:42 AM »

Walkin'
Rollin'up to heaven
Awake (demo)
Back Home (1970)
Good time
Loop de loop
When girls get together

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:27:25 AM »

Rolling Up To Haven is actually 74 (the boot is wrong) and from the Caribu sessions. Jardine told me Brian does not sing on "Loop De Loop" but I swear I hear him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:40:45 AM »

Brian sang on the "original" demo of LDL that is on the EH doc.

Let's see he is also on It's About Time, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, Disney Girls, Don't Go Near The Water Til I Die, Tree, A few new vocals on Surf's Up at the end, Marcella, Mess Of Help, Cuddle Up, Sound Of Free, Steamboat, Fairtale, Funky Pretty, The whole Spring LP and 45 Don't You Just Know It, All Life Is One,  Harmonica on Holland's Big Sur, I Just Got My Pay, H.E.L.P. Plus scores of unreleased tracks. Hardly the recluse of legend

He's  on Feel Flows and Steamboat?! I *knew* it. I had asked AGD about that several years back and he said no, but I insisted...

I don't think he's on Mess of Help,though.

Also, add He Come Down. His vocals are right after the slowed down YES I BELIEVE IT. (He does the low EEEE-EEEE and sounds remarkably like he would in 76; yet his voice was back to normal several months later. Go Fig).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »

I think Bruce and Mike have both said Brian is on Mess Of Help, and I hear him doing the high part fairly clear. The 1993 box set version is a mix that his his voice up higher. He probably is on bass on He Come Down  Sweet Mountian from Spring has him doing his high voice and his bass, but notice the bass has a touch more control. Desper's book told me about Feel Flows. Brian is clear on the end. Steamboat is fairly obvious that the high part is is him and the bass is Dennis. I love picking Brian out during this era. I hate the stupid myths about him during this time. I have always felt that he was far worse from 76-82 when he was touring. I think he had the abilty up until that point to decide if and when he participated.
SG7
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:16:17 PM »

Don't You Just Know It - Didn't he do that song with Jan in the 70s?
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »

I'm pretty certain I can pick Brian out on "Fourth of July"...

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »

<<A few new vocals on Surf's Up at the end>>

Which vocals did he do?  I haven't been able to pick him out.

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »

Desper Said its him not Al singing the newly added childrens song line.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »

I hear him on "Susie Cincinnati" and as far as I know he played the harmonica on it as well.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:21:48 AM »

Desper Said its him not Al singing the newly added childrens song line (at the end of "Surf's Up").

Can anyone else confirm this?  I'm almost 100% sure that's Al singing, "A children's song, have you listened as they play?  Their song is love and the children know the way."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 04:24:42 AM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 04:59:42 AM »

Yes I reckon that's definitely Al.  Brian is on the soaring 'Ahhhh....' right at the top.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »

Yes I reckon that's definitely Al.  Brian is on the soaring 'Ahhhh....' right at the top.

The Brian vocal you're referring to is from his 1967 solo piano performance.  I'm wondering what NEW vocals Brian contributed to the 1971 version of the song.

Glenn
uk hound dog
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 04:16:49 PM »

I have never, ever heard of Rolling Up To Heaven, not even in passing on t'cyberweb. Anyone?
MBE
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 11:32:06 PM »

Hard Times (aka Rolling Up To Heaven) is a Ding Dang clone with minor differences. A lot more fun actually as its R Rated.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 11:33:51 PM »

As far as the 71 vocals on Surfs Up, I tend to think Desper is right but Al and Brian sounded so much like each other from 68-74 I cannot be certain. I think it Brian because of the phrasing at the end of each line.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 04:38:46 AM »

As far as the 71 vocals on Surfs Up, I tend to think Desper is right but Al and Brian sounded so much like each other from 68-74 I cannot be certain. I think it Brian because of the phrasing at the end of each line.

Any chance someone who knows Al Jardine can ask him and confirm one way or the other?

Glenn
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »

Brian is unmistakably on the choruses of Deirdre: "Good things turn bad, but it's over now, so don't be sad 'cause you're older now," etc.  It gives me chills to hear his voice in there, somewhat buried.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 03:35:45 PM »

"Brian is unmistakably on the choruses of Deirdre: "Good things turn bad, but it's over now, so don't be sad 'cause you're older now," etc."
I think those are the lines he wrote. If so he deserves credit for more then the 5% Bruce accredits him. At least a quarter of it would be his.
MBE
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »

Al seems to lessen the work Brian did in the late 60s. He said he sang lead on "Be Here In The Morning" because Brian refused to sing high anymore. We know that is not true. Granted he did praise Brian's work on Friends, but his comments on songs like "Break Away" don't sit well with me. He is entitled to his own viewpoint but when something is fuzzy, it's good to get a number of different opinions. I mean the one time I talked to Brian I asked him about "Be Here" and he had rather specific comments about singing the lead. Desper has said both sang the lead. Since both men remember doing the lead I have to say Desper's memories (just like on Surf's Up) are probably more measured.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx