gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:46:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Right Time" Music Video  (Read 7870 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:29:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkM3uqWctg

Great video with studio footage of Brian, Al, Jim Keltner, Scott Bennett, and Don Was with lyrics.

Not sure what David Marks' contribution was to the song as session player Dean Parks is the guitarist in the video.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:37:04 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:54:27 AM »

Cool video, great to see Brian and Al so happy working together.

Pretty funny that it's not David Marks adding the "authentic" guitar sound... Did they mean to expose that?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:23:22 AM »

THis discussed elsewhere in earlier threads with explanation from Carrie - the filmmaker wasn't shooting during David's sessions as Brian wasn't on top form. David's isn't the only guitar in the mix, either…

“We live in divisive times.”
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:31 AM »

Ah, thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkM3uqWctg

Great video with studio footage of Brian, Al, Jim Keltner, Scott Bennett, and Don Was with lyrics.

Not sure what David Marks' contribution was to the song as session player Dean Parks is the guitarist in the video.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »

yes, Carrie made clear that Dave is playing the intro and the outro; I asked further if he is playing the call and response guitar parts that serve as the "solo" section as well, but no response as yet.  You all should know never to believe your lying eyes when it comes to these contrived videos.  Dave is assuredly playing those two masterful sections on guitar in what for me is a major artistic contribution to the song.

I wonder as well about the billing: who wrote this song, and who are the official artists legally?  That is, if it won an award, whose names would be nominated: BW? BW AJ and DM as a trio?  The term "featuring" always confuses me. To me the video is deeply disappointing in that it , evidently, misleads people to think DM is not on the record. My urgent posts are not likely to remedy that except within the sound of my own voice.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »

yes, Carrie made clear that Dave is playing the intro and the outro; I asked further if he is playing the call and response guitar parts that serve as the "solo" section as well, but no response as yet.  You all should know never to believe your lying eyes when it comes to these contrived videos.  Dave is assuredly playing those two masterful sections on guitar in what for me is a major artistic contribution to the song.

I wonder as well about the billing: who wrote this song, and who are the official artists legally?  That is, if it won an award, whose names would be nominated: BW? BW AJ and DM as a trio?  The term "featuring" always confuses me. To me the video is deeply disappointing in that it , evidently, misleads people to think DM is not on the record. My urgent posts are not likely to remedy that except within the sound of my own voice.

Bummer Dave wasn't in the video due to the camera guy snafu with Brian being sick one day. I'm glad we at least know why. Sounds like the baffling modern day equivalent of the integral member Al being missing from the Summer Days photoshoot due to illness... and I'll bet that comparison must have occurred to some of the parties in this instance.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »

My favorite part is Brian doing the "Baaahhmmm Baaaahmmm... Baaaahhhmmm Baaaahhhmmmmm" parts.  I think his greatest genius was his harmony stuff, even something simple like that is like seeing the master at work.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:07:45 AM »

Do you like the song and wish it was longer?
I made a quick edit with double verses before each chorus.  Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/ste_xxx/trt-long

Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »

Thanks for doing that, kind of works - although makes me a bit dizzy!

The stuff about Dave is interesting. The opening and closing guitar are excellent. The licks in the middle I think are quite cheesy. It's also a totally different tone. So makes sense that it's not him in the middle.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »

Bummer Dave wasn't in the video due to the camera guy snafu with Brian being sick one day.

Didn't say Brian was sick, just "wasn't on top form".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »

Bummer Dave wasn't in the video due to the camera guy snafu with Brian being sick one day.

Haven't searched through the posts again, but the first post I saw from Carrie said Brian was sick that day.  Later someone said "wasn't on top form."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »

Wylson, thank you. That was my thinking too, that the "solo" guitar was of a different stripe. I'm sure if I thought Dave did it, I would like it nonetheless and would have judged its perceived cheesiness as playfully ironic. But I do agree that Dave's confirmed parts are nothing short of magical, and if he, Brian and Al are as happy with their collective work as I imagine that they are, then I am very happy for them all.

I maintain that they would have been a fantastic BB song with M and B's voices, and I certainly wish that this was a song that M and B wrote together in a room. But it is not.

Love this song--cannot stop listening to it. I hope it's a hit, however those things are measured. They should be on all the late-night TV shows NOW doing that song.

edit: Carrie Marks on this board in the topic on the song itself has just written that Dave did many takes with different effects and that the solo bit may be his as well, though she said the style did not jump out at her as distinctly Dave. We may not know until an engineer or Dave himself does a taxonomy of the final parts. But I am content that we know enough to celebrate 3 BB as artists, contributing to the excellence of this song in distinct ways, as singers, arranger, writer, and guitarist, variously. Who is credited a having written the song? B and A?

I made a quick edit with double verses before each chorus.  Enjoy!

Thanks for doing that, kind of works - although makes me a bit dizzy!

The stuff about Dave is interesting. The opening and closing guitar are excellent. The licks in the middle I think are quite cheesy. It's also a totally different tone. So makes sense that it's not him in the middle.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:50:03 AM by the professor » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

Great video, but where is Dave  Tongue

Brian wasn't feeling well the day David recorded his parts so they cancelled the camera-guy.  :-(

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

Nice to see some proper fact checking....thanks Guitarfool and Debbie!!!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »

Wow! I'm really looking forward to the album! This coulda-shoulda been a Beach Boys record. Well, it is anyway! I hate to say it but shame on Mike and Bruce for not being involved. That being said I'm thankful for Beach Boys 50! Rock on Brian, Al, and David! Blondie, too!

Still waiting for 'Almost Summer' and 'Country Pie' to be released on CD. C'mon Mike!  Cool
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

Nice, but I think there's a beat missing before the first chorus.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »

The verses are so short on this song, which I think is a major flaw. It's like a super rush to get to the chorus with no proper build-up. It could've been so much better if there had been an effort to write some additional lyrics to properly develop the song. As it stands it gets quite repetitve. Instead of a Wow! it's just a Yeah, OK.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 01:28:16 AM »

I love that the first preview we get from the album (other than the one track that was released on another album) is a track that features Al as the lead vocalist rather than one of the other special guests.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »

I like the video and I love how animated Brian is whilst singing Smiley    Al sounds great as always.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 02:52:57 AM »

For the record (that thing):

Brian wasn't feeling well the day David recorded his parts so they cancelled the camera-guy.  :-(

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »

OK, now the ears have been sorted out again and I can actually hear anything above mid-range, a few pithy comments on this track:

Alan's not auto-tuned. Sounds to me like they did to him what they did to Brian on the recent "GOK" release, i.e. double tracking with a light frosting of bells & whistles. Compare with his vocal on "From There To Back Again", which is auto-tuned.

Brian probably has the best bass vocal in his band.

It's a sweet tune and a complete earworm.

Alan & Brian: The Beach Boys they ain't, but it's close enough to be rather special.

This isn't going to be a "WOW !!" album, more one that inspires an ever widening grin. I think it's going to be a keeper.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »

Andrew, surely you meant to write Brian, Al, and Dave.

OK, now the ears have been sorted out again and I can actually hear anything above mid-range, a few pithy comments on this track:

Alan's not auto-tuned. Sounds to me like they did to him what they did to Brian on the recent "GOK" release, i.e. double tracking with a light frosting of bells & whistles. Compare with his vocal on "From There To Back Again", which is auto-tuned.

Brian probably has the best bass vocal in his band.

It's a sweet tune and a complete earworm.

Alan & Brian: The Beach Boys they ain't, but it's close enough to be rather special.

This isn't going to be a "WOW !!" album, more one that inspires an ever widening grin. I think it's going to be a keeper.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »

I don't hear David in the vocal stack.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

the way this sounds, it could have been tacked onto 'TWGMTR' and put under 'The Beach Boys' banner......

some of those tracks have no or inaudible BB vocals too...

RickB
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »

Good song, great falsetto. Al goes w/o saying. Someone in another thread advised to compare the 2, incl. "From There to Back Again" to see if the song has AT or not. That's clever, I did the same & can safely say there isn't. However, I think it would benefit if the " right time. could it be the right time" line didn't drag for long. And I'm not sure if I like the guitar at the intro.
The video is nice, sans the lyrics.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx