gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:08:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graduation Day "Mistake"  (Read 3176 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »

so I wanted to know the mystery behind the "Mistake" made in the live version of "Graduation Day",,first off was it a real mistake or was it done in fun (as a joke), also which one of the boys is singing it? I don't think I need to say what "Mistake" I'm talking about, it's pretty obvious....lol....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »

so I wanted to know the mystery behind the "Mistake" made in the live version of "Graduation Day",,first off was it a real mistake or was it done in fun (as a joke), also which one of the boys is singing it? I don't think I need to say what "Mistake" I'm talking about, it's pretty obvious....lol....

That's Dennis pulling a joke. Actually that's one of my favorite moments in the BB's library because it feels like Dennis was trying to bring some humor and rock and roll into what was being presented as a "serious" musical moment, and I love how it played out.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

On the unaltered recording the other guys are clearly cracking up...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:48 AM »

cool.... thanks.. for some reason I was thinking it was Dennis but I wasn't sure..it seemed like his personality.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »

He does it on both performances on Sacramento 1964 though, so it may have not been that spontaneous. The other boys laughing is actually on the second show, so either that's staged or they didn't notice the first time around. It's a fun moment to hear anyway, and I imagine Dennis standing up from his drum stool and spreading his arms like a crooner when I hear him doing that. Smiley

Would be a good question for the next Q&A: Did Dennis always do that?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:09 AM »

It's also possible that it was quite staged and that they did it many times and that at the second show they were laughing not at him doing the vocal per se, but at some gesture he made or something else, related or unrelated, that we can't see.

P.S., I've always thought this is by far the best thing on the Concert album and much more fun to listen to than the studio version.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »

I always got the impression that the rest of the guys held back while Dennis hit the note, as rehearsed, right on time...then they laughed their arses off 'cause 'it' worked.  Funny enough, in fact, that they would then 'do it' to him again.

Could be wrong but I thinky they all made Denny the brunt of the joke there.  Humour was always a part of the group back when they were all gettin' along.  [in spite of Murry and HIS crap]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:55:01 AM »

I'm sure I have read about this in the last few weeks in an old Brian interview. Unlikely to remember where but definitely staged!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »

When they did the song in the "campfire" scenes of the 1989 variety show, someone in the group mentioned how Dennis used to do that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:34:15 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »

On a similar note... I've often wondered about Dennis's stumble on his spoken interlude on the Christmas Album. Surely that WAS an error and needed a retake ?

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »

I never got the impression that was a mistake at all.

Radio 7
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

Dennis says " if you hap...happen to be listening to this record right now."  Wouldn't you have to be listening to the record to hear him?
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »

Which leads to the story of the first time Jeff Foskett met Dennis, shortly after he was hired by The Beach Boys. Jeff introduces himself and says to Dennis, "I love your part on Auld Lang Syne." Without hesitation, Dennis replies, "You're fired."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 03:23:40 AM »

For some reason, I used to think it was Carl on extended "daaaaay". Then I thought better of it & it can't be anyone but Dennis, indeed. Him sitting alone & far back, no one to guide him secretly when finish the line.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »

Which leads to the story of the first time Jeff Foskett met Dennis, shortly after he was hired by The Beach Boys. Jeff introduces himself and says to Dennis, "I love your part on Auld Lang Syne." Without hesitation, Dennis replies, "You're fired."

Oh, man, you're leaving out the witty parts. Smiley

That's pretty much what I heard. The meeting place: airport terminal. It was NYE or New Year's Day, I think. Dennis was sleeping off the prior night's activities. Jeff had a cassette player with him. He introduced himself to Dennis and said he loved the music, etc. He said, "How about this old one?" and hit play on the cassette, and it was "Auld Lang Syne." Dennis's response: "How about this old one: you're fired." and rolled back over to resume his sleep.

Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 07:23:29 AM »

I guess I heard Jeff tell the abbreviated version or maybe I just forgot the details.  Smiley Great story though! Jeff's a funny guy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx