gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:32:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fall Tour  (Read 16249 times)
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »

The film is definitely going to be what they are counting on to sell tickets for the tour.  The album being released in the spring, may get a second wind after the movie comes out (if the movie turns out to be a hit).  Then in the perfect storm, the tour becomes very successful.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »

BW and his team have this all planned out extremely well.

Oh my dear god!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »

I must admit, the idea that it was okay for Mike & Bruce to tour without an album for around a decade and a half, yet there's an issue with Brian touring 6 months after an album and with a new movie out - in other words when his profile as a solo artist is likely to be the highest it has been in some years - strikes me as a bit of a double standard. Perhaps he'll be spending the summer promoting the album/film in other territories, be it through gigs, TV appearances or what have you. The fact that the single was premiered on a Norwegian radio station seems to hint that might be the case to me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:24:08 PM by elnombre » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:32:28 PM »

A fall tour, when the album is released in the spring ? I'm hoping that's a misprint for "full tour".

Probably not a misprint. Tours and album releases don't particularly need to correlate (they may want to theme a tour behind an album, but it's not unheard of for a tour to launch several months after an album release). The days of using a tour to promote an album seem to be long gone for the most part, especially for non-Top 40 artists. Tours make money on their own (typically). I don't think Brian schlepping from city to city is going to get people to buy the album. If anything, good press for the album will lead to ticket sales. But the two, for Brian's "market" in any case, aren't going to impact each other much. He has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales, and of course they hope they'll rope new cross-over fans with the guest stars and whatnot. But there aren't a bunch of hipsters waiting for a live tour announcement to alert them to the fact that a new album is out.

To the degree scheduling later tour dates was a strategic move, they probably want the new album to build enough hype along with a longer on-sale time period to secure more ticket sales.

On past evidence, by the time a fall tour comes round, the album will be long gone from the charts. The longest Brian's had an album on the charts is 17 weeks (BWPS). The last three charted, respectively, for four weeks, four weeks and one week. Brian should tour behind a current, happening release that's fresh in the mind, not one that vanished over two months ago (at best). You think a spring release will drive a fall tour ? Come closer, listen,  I have these deeds to a bridge in New York city...

I would dearly love to be proven utterly and completely wrong on this as the album charts high and stays on the lists for months, years. But as you said, Brian has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales. After that, it's crossover... and the presence of Elton, Eric & Macca didn't exactly buttress the chart career of GIOMH, did they ? Granted, said album is a steaming pile of sh*t that God himself couldn't sell, but the basic point is valid: got a new album, tour it.

That’s the whole point I was trying to make. A spring release or a fall release doesn’t have to drive a fall tour. A release doesn’t have to drive a tour. A tour doesn’t have to drive a release.

Then precisely what does "To the degree scheduling later tour dates was a strategic move, they probably want the new album to build enough hype along with a longer on-sale time period to secure more ticket sales" - your very own words - mean if not what you've just denied ? Or has someone changed the basic rules of English and no-one told me ?

It means "I don't think this is the case, but IF it is, here is a guess why." I don't think a fall tour is meant to have any synergy with the new album. But IF I'm wrong, my guess as to their line of thinking was as I stated.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »

AGD, I see you are spreading the doubt and negativity again. Must be bleak times in club Kokomo.

He didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 10:45:05 PM »

I must admit, the idea that it was okay for Mike & Bruce to tour without an album for around a decade and a half, yet there's an issue with Brian touring 6 months after an album and with a new movie out - in other words when his profile as a solo artist is likely to be the highest it has been in some years - strikes me as a bit of a double standard.

Aside from the fact that Mike & Bruce cannot legally release an album as "The Beach Boys" - as you well know, being a long-time denizen of this here forum - we're talking two different entities here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »

Suspect he might be touring to promote a No Pier Pressure BW doll, to hit shelves in the fall.

But maybe a European tour in the summer in support of album and movie, landing US-side in the fall.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

A fall tour, when the album is released in the spring ? I'm hoping that's a misprint for "full tour".
Does he have the Kinks old managers working for him now? That seemed to be their modus operandi - either do the tour a couple months before the album comes out, or several months after the release...thereby negating whatever sales boost the tour might have given it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:17 AM »

I must admit, the idea that it was okay for Mike & Bruce to tour without an album for around a decade and a half, yet there's an issue with Brian touring 6 months after an album and with a new movie out - in other words when his profile as a solo artist is likely to be the highest it has been in some years - strikes me as a bit of a double standard.

Aside from the fact that Mike & Bruce cannot legally release an album as "The Beach Boys" - as you well know, being a long-time denizen of this here forum - we're talking two different entities here.

The Mike/Bruce situation indeed isn't the same. But, it is worth noting that "The Beach Boys" as a brand name/trademark (both pre and post-1998) are another in a long line of examples of a name that draws ticket buyers regardless of concurrent album releases (or lack thereof).

Brian's touring, while on a smaller scale in a number of ways, is the same deal for the most part. New album releases certainly don't hurt in terms of raising one's profile, just like Mike and Bruce going on Queen Latifah doesn't hurt selling tickets to their shows. But few are going to buy a ticket to a BW show, whether in April or October, because "he's that guy that put that new album out called 'No Pier Pressure'." They'll be going because they're BW fans. On top of that, the BW PR machine doesn't seem to have a problem also at least attempting to market his shows to a broader baby boomer-type audience, "casual" Beach Boys fans, by prominently featuring his "Founding Member of the Beach Boys" status in advertising (to the alleged/apparent chagrin of other entities), and those folks are even *less* likely to know or care about his new album.

If there had been any strong indication of any strong link between an album release and stronger ticket sales, I would imagine they indeed would have booked a tour concurrent with the album release.

Long story short, we've seen plenty of apparent bone-headed moves from all corners of BB land. But booking a fall tour this year doesn't strike me as a dumb move. I think they'll probably sell more tickets that way, and/or perhaps were able to book more venues/markets they wanted to.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »

This makes perfect sense to me. They have quite a bit to promote, spread out over a number of months. There's the US film premiere in a month, the album release a couple of weeks later, the PBS special, the wide(r) release of the film in early summer and book sales in the fall. I think that we'll see a small number of high profile gigs between now and L&M in the big US markets (NY, LA, maybe Chicago). I'm thinking that they a. want flexibility for promo availability b. want to see how the early numbers look on album sales and the film so that they can book the appropriately sized venues.

If things execute like they're hoping, Brian has a lot of heavy lifting ahead of him in the coming months. Might as well pace accordingly.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:05 AM »

This makes perfect sense to me. They have quite a bit to promote, spread out over a number of months. There's the US film premiere in a month, the album release a couple of weeks later, the PBS special, the wide(r) release of the film in early summer and book sales in the fall. I think that we'll see a small number of high profile gigs between now and L&M in the big US markets (NY, LA, maybe Chicago). I'm thinking that they a. want flexibility for promo availability b. want to see how the early numbers look on album sales and the film so that they can book the appropriately sized venues.

If things execute like they're hoping, Brian has a lot of heavy lifting ahead of him in the coming months. Might as well pace accordingly.

We may also see some TV appearances more around the time of the album release in April. Maybe they'll forego that, I dunno. But Brian has done Conan, Fallon, Letterman, etc. in the past.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 07:03:01 AM »

Surely if a spring or summer tour was envisaged, tickets would be going on sale now or would have been even earlier.

I would guess that the tickets will go on sale soon or at the time of the album release, when all the publicity is at its height. Hopefully, people will buy tickets based on that. If they later decide not to go to the show because the album is no longer in the charts... well, how likely is that?  Once they have bought tickets, most will be committed to the idea.  But even if they don't go, they will already have paid.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:05:10 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »

I know I've made a lot of critical comments about decisions that have been made that I know next to nothing about over the years.  Funny thing is, occasionally I've then learned the reasons behind the decisions and what stood out to me was that I was bitching without having any of the facts - the dumbest move of all. The point is, we don't know why fall was chosen for a tour, but I'm damn excited about the prospect.

We've all been talking about this being a big year for Brian - new record, new film, etc.  We don't know if there will be special guest appearances by some of the people on the record at some shows as there was in Las Vegas, but if so, this would make the scheduling even more complex.  We don't know what other requirements Brian has regarding the film, personal needs and wants, or much of anything else.

I guess forums have a certain bitch factor that allows people cathartic experiences, or to feel like they could somehow "do it better."  If somebody here knows about the decision process for setting up a 2015 tour for Brian, then please, share with us.  Otherwise, I certainly would feel foolish criticizing the timing of a tour I'm thrilled about.  2015 brings a record, film and tour for Brian - I think my calendar is overflowing already, and loving Brian's work, I can't imagine having any reaction but being happy about the whole thing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »

I know I've made a lot of critical comments about decisions that have been made that I know next to nothing about over the years.  Funny thing is, occasionally I've then learned the reasons behind the decisions and what stood out to me was that I was bitching without having any of the facts - the dumbest move of all. The point is, we don't know why fall was chosen for a tour, but I'm damn excited about the prospect.

We've all been talking about this being a big year for Brian - new record, new film, etc.  We don't know if there will be special guest appearances by some of the people on the record at some shows as there was in Las Vegas, but if so, this would make the scheduling even more complex.  We don't know what other requirements Brian has regarding the film, personal needs and wants, or much of anything else.

I guess forums have a certain bitch factor that allows people cathartic experiences, or to feel like they could somehow "do it better."  If somebody here knows about the decision process for setting up a 2015 tour for Brian, then please, share with us.  Otherwise, I certainly would feel foolish criticizing the timing of a tour I'm thrilled about.  2015 brings a record, film and tour for Brian - I think my calendar is overflowing already, and loving Brian's work, I can't imagine having any reaction but being happy about the whole thing.

Extremely well said, Deb. My thoughts to the tee.   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:06 AM »

So glad for any music and any tour, it's just that simple!   Life is really good with Brian in it somewhere.  Even though, I'm somewhere in the back of the line.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »

Debbie is surely right -  most of us don't know the reasons.

What I quoted from Brian's website yesterday is no longer there so perhaps plans have changed but autumn seems quite a likely time to me. They usually sell tickets several months in advance of the shows.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

He's playing here in New Jersey in May. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »

He's playing here in New Jersey in May. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

$167.00 per ticket???!!??     Shocked

For every seat in the house???!!??     Thud

Good luck with that...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »

It's some sort of benefit for the venue.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »

I thought the same thing at the $167 per ticket price. It also starts at 6:00, so it must be a benefit. But $325+ for 2 tickets, like the other guy said, good luck with that.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »

So you really think it matters, to either ticket sales or album sales, exactly when Brian tours?

Andrew, while I respect the insights you've given over the years, and also while I think you're newly found friendliness with Mike is cool, I have to admit that lately every chance you've had to denigrate or doubt Brian and company latest activities you have. And to be honest, I don't think you're doing it on purpose.

For instance, a few months ago you were surmising that what's become No Pier Pressure was not gonna turn out very well, and it looks like you've been proven wrong there. And insinuating that things aren't going well with Brian's book because we haven't heard anything. Well, it seems like it's going well enough because it's got a release date and it's up for sale in some places.

Now what I think is that maybe certain elements in Mike's camp are throwing you some negativity because of that's what they are hoping is going on. Stuff like, "hey guys, did you hear Brian's album is a wreck? Shoulda agreed to my terms and he coulda kept a good thing goin'." Or, "hey Andrew, we know you love Brian, but we're hearing that his book is in a lot of trouble. What a shame." And since you're probably still a little starry-eyed, you're probably thinkin', they're given me gospel here. But what they are really doing is giving you what they wanna give you. And since they know you're a respected person in Beach Boys fan circles, they figure their type of thinking will permeate the rest of us. And if indeed this new album does well and Brian's riding another wave of popularity, it does make Mike look pretty stupid for bailing. And I don't care about "who fired who" or whatever, but the facts are that Brian Wilson wanted Mike Love and Bruce Johnston to work with him, Al Jardine and David Marks on a new Beach Boys album. And they didn't. So Mike screwed up. And the better Brian does, the dumber it makes Mike look. And this is coming from me, a person who owns a copy of both the NASCAR album and Summertime Cruisin'. I like Mike and a lot of his work, but I have noticed a change in your analysis after the C50 blow up and your new friendship with Mike.

So anyways, all I'm saying is, I miss the straight talk we used to get from you. It now just seems a bit tainted by taking one side's word as gospel and disliking the wife of the other side.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:26:52 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »

It also starts at 6:00, so it must be a benefit.

The bit that says "State Theatre 2015 Benefit Gala" is a bit of a giveaway... Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 10:31:33 PM »

Andrew, while I respect the insights you've given over the years, and also while I think you're newly found friendliness with Mike is cool, I have to admit that lately every chance you've had to denigrate or doubt Brian and company latest activities you have. And to be honest, I don't think you're doing it on purpose.

For instance, a few months ago you were surmising that what's become No Pier Pressure was not gonna turn out very well, and it looks like you've been proven wrong there. And insinuating that things aren't going well with Brian's book because we haven't heard anything. Well, it seems like it's going well enough because it's got a release date and it's up for sale in some places.

Now what I think is that maybe certain elements in Mike's camp are throwing you some negativity because of that's what they are hoping is going on. Stuff like, "hey guys, did you hear Brian's album is a wreck? Shoulda agreed to my terms and he coulda kept a good thing goin'." Or, "hey Andrew, we know you love Brian, but we're hearing that his book is in a lot of trouble. What a shame." And since you're probably still a little starry-eyed, you're probably thinkin', they're given me gospel here. But what they are really doing is giving you what they wanna give you. And since they know you're a respected person in Beach Boys fan circles, they figure their type of thinking will permeate the rest of us. And if indeed this new album does well and Brian's riding another wave of popularity, it does make Mike look pretty stupid for bailing. And I don't care about "who fired who" or whatever, but the facts are that Brian Wilson wanted Mike Love and Bruce Johnston to work with him, Al Jardine and David Marks on a new Beach Boys album. And they didn't. So Mike screwed up. And the better Brian does, the dumber it makes Mike look. And this is coming from me, a person who owns a copy of both the NASCAR album and Summertime Cruisin'. I like Mike and a lot of his work, but I have noticed a change in your analysis after the C50 blow up and you're new friendship with Mike.

So anyways, all I'm saying is, I miss the straight talk we used to get from you. It now just seems a bit tainted by taking one side's word as gospel and disliking the wife of the other side.

So, I'm not entitled to have my own opinions, then change my mind, like everyone else here ? I say something and it's set in stone ? Thanks, I'll remember that. Obviously my new optimism about Brian's new album is hypocritical.

Also, to suggest my views (note, my views) are in any way influenced or coloured by Mike's camp is something I find deeply offensive. Even in jest.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:33:18 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »

In all fairness, Andrew's trepidation mainly dated from when Jeff Beck was still involved. I think what we have now is far superior to what we would have gotten back then

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »

Now what I think is that maybe certain elements in Mike's camp are throwing you some negativity because of that's what they are hoping is going on. Stuff like, "hey guys, did you hear Brian's album is a wreck? Shoulda agreed to my terms and he coulda kept a good thing goin'." Or, "hey Andrew, we know you love Brian, but we're hearing that his book is in a lot of trouble. What a shame." And since you're probably still a little starry-eyed, you're probably thinkin', they're given me gospel here. But what they are really doing is giving you what they wanna give you. And since they know you're a respected person in Beach Boys fan circles, they figure their type of thinking will permeate the rest of us. And if indeed this new album does well and Brian's riding another wave of popularity, it does make Mike look pretty stupid for bailing. And I don't care about "who fired who" or whatever, but the facts are that Brian Wilson wanted Mike Love and Bruce Johnston to work with him, Al Jardine and David Marks on a new Beach Boys album. And they didn't. So Mike screwed up. And the better Brian does, the dumber it makes Mike look. And this is coming from me, a person who owns a copy of both the NASCAR album and Summertime Cruisin'. I like Mike and a lot of his work, but I have noticed a change in your analysis after the C50 blow up and you're new friendship with Mike.

So, I'm not entitled to have my own opinions, then change my mind, like everyone else here ? I say something and it's set in stone ? Thanks, I'll remember that. Obviously my new optimism about Brian's new album is hypocritical.

Also, to suggest my views (note, my views) are in any way influenced or coloured by Mike's camp is something I find deeply offensive. Even in jest.

You surely are entitled to have whatever opinion you want. It's just interesting that your worries about the album seemed me larger than any worries you had about TLOS, BWRG, Disney or TWGMTR.

It just seemed convenient that you didn't think Brian had "it" this time, coming off the successful TWGMTR but you seemed a lot more confident about TWGMTR even after the naming of Joe Thomas as producer. You never came out and said you'd think it'd stink at all during that era. You were even slightly optimistic about what became TLOS before we knew anything about it. And to me, THAT album was a surprise. Because in the years leading up to that, Brian hadn't had a good new album of mostly new material in 20 years. But this time, coming less than three years after a new artistic triumph, you thought the album would stink. It just strikes me as odd, and didn't correlate with the historian, writer, and poster who I've spent over ten years reading the opinion of.

I mean, if you're as fair as you were even after two years ago, instead of just dogging Brian's album, you'd be questioning why Mike Love is announcing an album for 2017. Why can't it come out 'til then? Especially as he admitted it will likely contain a fair share of re-recordings. Yet I haven't heard you questioning why this guy is doing that. And why he's doing re-recordings again. And why exactly the album has to wait for the book. Why doesn't he do an album now for art's sake, and put something else (like an anthology of his solo work) out then?

Anyways, what I'm saying is, one is likely to believe the story of a "friend" more than they will of somebody they don't care for. You've been fine to nitpick every stupid move made by Brian's team recently, but you've haven't pointed out Mike's equally stupid things. And maybe because you think you're defending the guy who's always getting dumped on. But we don't need fairness. We need truth. We have enough KittyKats, Pinders, and OSDs. We don't need more.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx