gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:12:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fall Tour  (Read 16379 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »

Quoting from Brian's website: "Follow Brian on Instagram for exclusive photos from his upcoming album and Fall tour."

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »

So great Ang - saving my pennies for a trip to - wherever...
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »

Certainly excited about this and I hope he hits up New England!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »

A fall tour, when the album is released in the spring ? I'm hoping that's a misprint for "full tour".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »

If he comes back to Houston I am there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:07 AM »

A fall tour, when the album is released in the spring ? I'm hoping that's a misprint for "full tour".

Probably not a misprint. Tours and album releases don't particularly need to correlate (they may want to theme a tour behind an album, but it's not unheard of for a tour to launch several months after an album release). The days of using a tour to promote an album seem to be long gone for the most part, especially for non-Top 40 artists. Tours make money on their own (typically). I don't think Brian schlepping from city to city is going to get people to buy the album. If anything, good press for the album will lead to ticket sales. But the two, for Brian's "market" in any case, aren't going to impact each other much. He has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales, and of course they hope they'll rope new cross-over fans with the guest stars and whatnot. But there aren't a bunch of hipsters waiting for a live tour announcement to alert them to the fact that a new album is out.

To the degree scheduling later tour dates was a strategic move, they probably want the new album to build enough hype along with a longer on-sale time period to secure more ticket sales.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:27:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

Probably not a misprint. Tours and album releases don't particularly need to correlate (they may want to theme a tour behind an album, but it's not unheard of for a tour to launch several months after an album release). The days of using a tour to promote an album seem to be long gone for the most part, especially for non-Top 40 artists. Tours make money on their own (typically). I don't think Brian schlepping from city to city is going to get people to buy the album. If anything, good press for the album will lead to ticket sales. But the two, for Brian's "market" in any case, aren't going to impact each other much. He has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales, and of course they hope they'll rope new cross-over fans with the guest stars and whatnot. But there aren't a bunch of hipsters waiting for a live tour announcement to alert them to the fact that a new album is out.

To the degree scheduling later tour dates was a strategic move, they probably want the new album to build enough hype along with a longer on-sale time period to secure more ticket sales.

and hope for book sales and L&M viewings?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »

Roll Eyes

What HeyJude said..

Looking forward to seeing the big man back on stage! Until then, we'll have the PBS special to keep us warm.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

What HeyJude said..

Looking forward to seeing the big man back on stage! Until then, we'll have the PBS special to keep us warm.

Have you seen a schedule listed for the show?  I'm thinking it's a fall show....

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »

Roll Eyes

What HeyJude said..

Have you seen a schedule listed for the show?  I'm thinking it's a fall show....
How do you mean? It was filmed in December 2014.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »

In Swedish full means drunk, so that is what I'm hoping for.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

In Swedish full means drunk, so that is what I'm hoping for.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »

Roll Eyes

What HeyJude said..

Have you seen a schedule listed for the show?  I'm thinking it's a fall show....
How do you mean? It was filmed in December 2014.

Sure,  I was at the show ( tho I doubt I'll see me in the video. Maybe that Rich guy that owes me $90.... but certainly not my funny face)

STILL, while we heard PBS in March(?) I haven't seen any listed schedule announcing it will actually be shown then. Have you? 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »

On past evidence, by the time a fall tour comes round, the album will be long gone from the charts. The longest Brian's had an album on the charts is 17 weeks (BWPS). The last three charted, respectively, for four weeks, four weeks and one week. Brian should tour behind a current, happening release that's fresh in the mind, not one that vanished over two months ago (at best). You think a spring release will drive a fall tour ? Come closer, listen,  I have these deeds to a bridge in New York city...

I would dearly love to be proven utterly and completely wrong on this as the album charts high and stays on the lists for months, years. But as you said, Brian has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales. After that, it's crossover... and the presence of Elton, Eric & Macca didn't exactly buttress the chart career of GIOMH, did they ? Granted, said album is a steaming pile of sh*t that God himself couldn't sell, but the basic point is valid: got a new album, tour it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

AGD, I see you are spreading the doubt and negativity again. Must be bleak times in club Kokomo.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »

On past evidence, by the time a fall tour comes round, the album will be long gone from the charts. The longest Brian's had an album on the charts is 17 weeks (BWPS). The last three charted, respectively, for four weeks, four weeks and one week. Brian should tour behind a current, happening release that's fresh in the mind, not one that vanished over two months ago (at best). You think a spring release will drive a fall tour ? Come closer, listen,  I have these deeds to a bridge in New York city...

I would dearly love to be proven utterly and completely wrong on this as the album charts high and stays on the lists for months, years. But as you said, Brian has a built-in audience that will get a certain level of album sales. After that, it's crossover... and the presence of Elton, Eric & Macca didn't exactly buttress the chart career of GIOMH, did they ? Granted, said album is a steaming pile of sh*t that God himself couldn't sell, but the basic point is valid: got a new album, tour it.
You're right, but I believe that they are trusting a lot to the movie that supposably (?) comes out in the summertime. So it's the album first, then the film and then the tour. I want to believe that they (whoever plans the marketing) know what they're doing. If it works, it could be quite a success. Plus I wouldn't be supprised if Brian is doing this year his last touring. He must be quite tired for it. And with the movie and all, this could really be the last year. Who knows?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »

On past evidence, by the time a fall tour comes round, the album will be long gone from the charts. The longest Brian's had an album on the charts is 17 weeks (BWPS). The last three charted, respectively, for four weeks, four weeks and one week. Brian should tour behind a current, happening release that's fresh in the mind, not one that vanished over two months ago (at best). You think a spring release will drive a fall tour ? Come closer, listen,  I have these deeds to a bridge in New York city...

That’s the whole point I was trying to make. A spring release or a fall release doesn’t have to drive a fall tour. A release doesn’t have to drive a tour. A tour doesn’t have to drive a release. Unlike modern acts that have a lot of chart action, someone in Brian Wilson’s situation isn’t touring to promote an album, nor is he particularly putting an album out to promote a tour. The two things don’t particularly work against each other. But as I mentioned in my post, a BW album and a BW tour don’t feed off each other that much. So it doesn’t particularly matter that a tour follows numerous months after an album. Of course the album will be long gone from the charts. Even if the tour started the same day as the album, a tour that lasted more than four weeks could potentially outpace the album’s chart action.

The album gives him a reason to tour I suppose, something to “theme” the tour with. That’s about it.

I would argue even some top-tier younger artists with a lot of chart action don’t always need to have an album and tour happen at the same time. Touring is a much more lucrative venture all on its own than it was decades ago.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 03:12:25 PM »

On past evidence, by the time a fall tour comes round, the album will be long gone from the charts. The longest Brian's had an album on the charts is 17 weeks (BWPS). The last three charted, respectively, for four weeks, four weeks and one week. Brian should tour behind a current, happening release that's fresh in the mind, not one that vanished over two months ago (at best). You think a spring release will drive a fall tour ? Come closer, listen,  I have these deeds to a bridge in New York city...

That’s the whole point I was trying to make. A spring release or a fall release doesn’t have to drive a fall tour. A release doesn’t have to drive a tour. A tour doesn’t have to drive a release.

Then precisely what does "To the degree scheduling later tour dates was a strategic move, they probably want the new album to build enough hype along with a longer on-sale time period to secure more ticket sales" - your very own words - mean if not what you've just denied ? Or has someone changed the basic rules of English and no-one told me ?

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »

Andrew is correct..one tours when a new lp has its legs...not long after it has been dead and buried.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »

Let's be honest, minus a few guys in their 70's who do "American songbook" albums, Brian isn't having an album staying on the charts for too long, no matter when he tours.

Neil Young, Van Morrison, Mccartney even big 80's bands like Van Halen, they release an album, it debuts in the top 10 then vanishes, just how it works these days.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »

Andrew is correct..one tours when a new lp has its legs...not long after it has been dead and buried.
2015 is Brian Wilson year. NPP won't be "dead and buried" in late summer / fall.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »

BW and his team have this all planned out extremely well. While Mike Love waiting to release a solo album in two years is really going to be dead and buried.  Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »

Kool-Aid Man
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:14:27 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »

It might be the current norm to tour right around the time of an album. But Brian and his team may be choosing to tour to support his book, and soon after the film ( which, if it is as good as everyone has been reporting, will generate  a trail of publicity and potential sales across the products).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »

It might be the current norm to tour right around the time of an album. But Brian and his team may be choosing to tour to support his book, and soon after the film ( which, if it is as good as everyone has been reporting, will generate  a trail of publicity and potential sales across the products).
Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx