gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:25:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happiest Songs?  (Read 5649 times)
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »

"I'm Waiting For The Day" is such a joyous song. Maybe it's the structure, or the combination of descending bass line and soaring flute melody, or both, or everything (there's so much going on). The most uplifting of songs.

Funny you say that,  I call it the Stalky Song.  I do like it though Smiley

See it as the guy thinking to himself rather than really telling her... Cool

In the last verse he's turned and he's pissed, and he's telling her.  The tone of his voice and the music during this verse also express this.  I don't think it sounds optimistic in the least.  He's sounds whiny and desperate..  Look what I did for you, and you didn't think I could sit around and let him take you.  That's how I see it anyway Smiley

Guess I have to disagree with you then. Smiley I rechecked the lyrics and I agree that in the end he does talk to her. But to me he doesn't sound pissed at all and in fact not only optimistic but enthusiastic because she did turn to him. I don't hear a "Look what I did for you, be thankful" at all. I figure the song rings very different bells with different gender perspectives and different experiences in life.

Yes definitely different perspectives here.  You think he sounds optimistic on the last verse?? 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:43 AM »

"I'm Waiting For The Day" is such a joyous song. Maybe it's the structure, or the combination of descending bass line and soaring flute melody, or both, or everything (there's so much going on). The most uplifting of songs.

In the last verse he's turned and he's pissed, and he's telling her.  The tone of his voice and the music during this verse also express this.  I don't think it sounds optimistic in the least.  He's sounds whiny and desperate..  Look what I did for you, and you didn't think I could sit around and let him take you.  That's how I see it anyway Smiley

Guess I have to disagree with you then. Smiley I rechecked the lyrics and I agree that in the end he does talk to her. But to me he doesn't sound pissed at all and in fact not only optimistic but enthusiastic because she did turn to him. I don't hear a "Look what I did for you, be thankful" at all. I figure the song rings very different bells with different gender perspectives and different experiences in life.

Yes definitely different perspectives here.  You think he sounds optimistic on the last verse?? 
I'm not Micha, but i would say definitely. But it's not just the vocals. Carol's descending bass in the instrumental break sounds almost like wedding bells!   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 03:59:19 AM »

I'm not Micha, but i would say definitely. But it's not just the vocals. Carol's descending bass in the instrumental break sounds almost like wedding bells!   

The music perhaps, but the lyrics??
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »

In the last verse he's turned and he's pissed, and he's telling her.  The tone of his voice and the music during this verse also express this.  I don't think it sounds optimistic in the least.  He's sounds whiny and desperate..  Look what I did for you, and you didn't think I could sit around and let him take you.  That's how I see it anyway Smiley

Yes definitely different perspectives here.  You think he sounds optimistic on the last verse??  

I interpret them as he has reached his goal. That doesn't mean I'm right. But you know, actually, in my late twenties, I was in a similar position as the the guy in this song. There was this girl who meant a lot to me, but she was in a love relationship that didn't do her good.  I never met the other guy, but she trusted me enough to pour her heart out to me, I didn't stalk her or feel desperate about the situation, so that's my perspective to interpret these lyrics. (I didn't wait long enough either, though...)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:37:35 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »

I interpret them as he has reached his goal. That doesn't mean I'm right. But you know, actually, in my late twenties, I was in a similar position as the the guy in this song, and I didn't stalk her or feel desperate about the situation, so that's my perspective to interpret these lyrics. (I didn't wait long enough either, though...)

If a girl is in love with someone else, run don't walk.   Anyway I certainly have personal experience with being the female in this scenario and that's why I don't really like the lyrics.  I LOVE the music though Smiley     

And Aren't You Glad is a joyously happy song!  Can't sit still when it's on Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »

Anyway I certainly have personal experience with being the female in this scenario

I thought that might be the case. Someone here who has been in the role of the other guy? Cheesy

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 07:04:11 AM »

Dance Dance Dance
Oh yes indeed! This one, and "I'm Waiting For the Day".  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »

O.K., I always interpreted "I'm waiting for the Day" as showing the different sides of being a guy in a relationship, Brian's the tender, caring, loving guy, Mike (I guess it's Brian singing Like Mike) plays the jerk.  

"I came along when he broke your heart
That's when you needed someone
To help forget about him

I gave you love with a brand new start
That's what you needed the most
To set your broken heart free

I know you cried, and you felt blue
But when I could I gave strength to you
I'm waiting for the day when you can love again"

That's Brian's part.  All beautiful; caring; sensitive.

Then Brian, singing like Mike, with his braggadocio swagger comes in:

"I kissed your lips
And when your face looked sad
It made me think about him
And that you still loved him so

But you know that pretty soon
I made you feel glad
That you belonged to me
And love began to show"

Brian singing like Mike sings about how pissed off he got thinking about her old boyfriend; jealousy; then he talks about how she belongs to him.  pretty soon, "I made you feel glad" he's the one making sh*t happen in this relationship... "Love began to show" he made her love him.  Mike's the man!  

Here comes Brian again

"He hurt you then, but that's all gone
I guess I'm saying you're the only one

Brian's talking about her hurt feelings; she's the only one for him; he's patiently waiting for when she's ready to fall in love again, Brian will be right there!  Boy Brian's a nice guy, isn't he?

Then we're back to Brian singing like Mike:

"You didn't think that I could sit around and let him work
You didn't think that I could sit around and let (watch) him take you
You didn't think that I could sit around and let him go
You didn't think that I could sit back and let you go
You didn't think . . "

Mike's being an asshole again.  

So literally, every line Brian sings is sweet and tender and every line Brian sings like Mike is assholish.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:05:24 PM by Ron » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »

Honestly, for a really long time "Sunshine" was the song that made me feel happiest.

That song get's so much hate on here and I'll never understand it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:50 AM »

O.K., I always interpreted "I'm waiting for the Day" as showing the different sides of being a guy in a relationship, Brian's the tender, caring, loving guy, Mike (I guess it's Brian singing Like Mike) plays the jerk.  

To help forget about him

"I kissed your lips

I made you feel glad
That you belonged to me
And love began to show"

Brian singing like Mike sings about how pissed off he got thinking about her old boyfriend; jealousy; then he talks about how she belongs to him.  pretty soon, "I made you feel glad" he's the one making sh*t happen in this relationship... "Love began to show" he made her love him.  Mike's the man!  

Here comes Brian again

Brian's talking about her hurt feelings; she's the only one for him; he's patiently waiting for when she's ready to fall in love again, Brian will be right there!  Boy Brian's a nice guy, isn't he?

You didn't think . . "

So literally, every line Brian sings is sweet and tender and every line Brian sings like Mike is assholish.  

Thank you Ron!  Yes, there is definitely a mean edge to this song, of possessive entitlement.  Glad someone else can see it.  Interesting idea about the Brian/Mike singing.... 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:11 AM »

To help forget about him

"I kissed your lips

I made you feel glad
That you belonged to me
And love began to show"

Here comes Brian again

You didn't think . . "

Thank you Ron!  Yes, there is definitely a mean edge to this song, of possessive entitlement.  Glad someone else can see it.  Interesting idea about the Brian/Mike singing.... 
Awww. What have i started here?! It's a trifle depressing to see the word asshole (let alone assholish) used when discussing this song. To me it's a lot less possessive/aggressive than, say, "TLGIOK" ("Now I'm gonna try for her / Look out babe"; "I'll be moving in one day / Split man"). That said, it's the music that grabs me, not the words. I'll shut up now. Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 06:26:10 AM »

Yes, there is definitely a mean edge to this song, of possessive entitlement.

Accidentally heard the Beatles' "Run For Your Life" today - now THAT's what I call possessive entitlement...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »

If the songs were completely happy I probably would not like them because I would not be able to relate to something that purely happy.  FWIW, I don't really deal with any sort of serious depression.
More power to you, but it's limiting to only listen to relatable stuff. There are tons of beautiful feel-good happy-go-lucky songs out there. As to your 2nd point, yes, people can get sad w/o depression. They falsely call it 'd', coz most of them like to exaggerate where necessary & un.   

But I suppose some only hear joy/happiness in the music.
In *all* music? 'course not. Where'd you get this idea?

Honestly, for a really long time "Sunshine" was the song that made me feel happiest.

That song get's so much hate on here and I'll never understand it.
Me too! I love it. Once you pay attention to how good the Boys sound, it's never a filler.

Also, Surfin' USA, Good to My Baby, Barbara Ann, Cabinessence, Beaches in Mind, Lavender, Let's Go Trippin' (Concert version; studio 1 is too dull). etc. etc. etc....

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

For me, I Can Hear Music has to be one of their happiest. Loved the way the song was used in An American Band.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »

You're So Good To Me is a pretty happy song, IMO. And it's a song that makes you happy to hear it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »

For me, I Can Hear Music has to be one of their happiest. Loved the way the song was used in An American Band.

Agree whole heartedly!

and would add wouldn't it be nice as a fav happy song (with a positive and hopeful longing)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »

You're So Good To Me is a pretty happy song, IMO. And it's a song that makes you happy to hear it.
Yep, that one too.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx