gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:10:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75555 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »

Club Kokomo is like that. Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »

THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO BE BRIAN'S BEST RELEASE IN HIS SOLO CAREER.  I WILL BET.   Grin

Posted by someone who has evidently never heard TLOS.
Actually, I have, and the spoken word parts hurt the album a lot.  The A-Side is not very well sequenced in my opinion compared to the B-Side.   Undecided

Your opinion was rendered invalid the moment you posted what is above in caps.

Am I the only one to notice that every time there are groups of positive comments about this new album that certain "old guard" members of this board feel that they have to set the record straight and get everyone into silly negative discussions about who's holding Brian hostage forcing him to use instruments he doesn't want to use, pro tools plugins, and the like, or just generally accepting the fact that because someone likes this new music doesn't mean that they don't like Brian's older solo material.  I'm a music fan, and participate in several music message boards, and I've rarely seen the likes of this.  Just because I happen to like Led Zeppelin IV doesn't mean that everybody who likes III is a complete idiot.  I love what I hear so far and I'm not afraid to say it.  Its almost as if certain contributors think they can bully others into changing their mind.  I like Lucky Old Sun and I like what I'm hearing here, and it shouldn't mean I have to choose between the two.  Like somebody said before, thank God Brian is still creating music well into his 70s.  Someday that may not be the case.

Everyone notices it. A few months ago when the 10 second Zooey clip was released the Brian album thread turned into a multiple page long anti-Brian circle jerk....a few people kept spouting repetitive negative drivel (auto-tune, Brian's career is in the tank if he's doing collaborations, Brian will never get on the radio again, etc). It's an obvious agenda that isn't executed too subtly. I loved TLOS and listened to it countless times; but I too think this will be the best album of Brian's solo career.

Heh, if one doesn't like this album there is always the 2017 Mike Love solo album. Woo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

So, five Al leads/co-leads, eh? A quick lookthrough of the def vocal credits list done by this board some years back gives that there never was a BB studio album with more than that. (But Surf's Up, MIU and Still Cruisin' have five as well).  Cool Guy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

It sounds like really good, but I think the songwriting was better on Brian Wilson.

Whoever mentioned Christopher Cross in another thread is dead on. I like some of Cross' stuff, mind you.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »

So, five Al leads/co-leads, eh? A quick lookthrough of the def vocal credits list done by this board some years back gives that there never was a BB studio album with more than that. (But Surf's Up, MIU and Still Cruisin' have five as well).  Cool Guy

I was also just thinking that it was kind of funny that the upcoming Brian Wilson solo album has more Al leads than the last Beach Boys album did.  I'm glad, though--his voice sounds great.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »

The last 20 years of Brian Wilson, on one simple timeline.

1995 -- Orange Crate Art*
           I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
1997 -- The Wilsons (four tracks)
1998 -- Imagination
1999 -- First solo tour
2000 -- Live at the Roxy (live album)
2001 -- An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson (DVD)
2002 -- Pet Sounds Live (live album)
2003 -- Brian Wilson on Tour (DVD)
           Pet Sounds Live in London (DVD)
2004 -- Gettin' In Over My Head
           Brian Wilson Presents Smile
2005 -- What I Really Want for Christmas
           Brian Wilson Presents Smile (DVD)
2007 -- New Music from an Old Friend (two tracks)
2008 -- That Lucky Old Sun
2009 -- That Lucky Old Sun (DVD)
2010 -- Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
2011 -- In the Key of Disney
2012 -- That's Why God Made the Radio**
           The Beach Boys Live in Concert (DVD)**
2013 -- The Beach Boys Live: 50th Anniversary Tour (live)**
2015 -- No Pier Pressure

* With Van Dyke Parks
** With the Beach Boys

-- 11 studio albums
-- 3 live albums
-- 6 DVDs
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:12:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »

The last 20 years of Brian Wilson

1995 -- Orange Crate Art
1997 -- The Wilsons
1998 -- Imagination
1999 -- First solo tour

You embezzled an entire decade, brother.

EDIT: Sorry, I jumped the gun. Wasn't sure it was 2015 either but I checked after your post. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:18:20 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 03:10:42 PM »

Somehow posted before I was done. The point is, the last 20 years have seen Brian in an astonishingly fruitful and committed place. The original compositions haven't piled up with the force or regularity of the '60s (or even the '80s), but the creativity and willpower has continued. It's quite a stretch to be a fan.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:12:05 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

Its been quite the ride! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »

I became a fan in 2006, notice how creatively he came alive again around then.

Coincidence...I think not.  Azn

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »

I became a fan in 2006, notice how creatively he came alive again around then.

Coincidence...I think not.  Azn
Hug

Somehow posted before I was done. The point is, the last 20 years have seen Brian in an astonishingly fruitful and committed place. The original compositions haven't piled up with the force or regularity of the '60s (or even the '80s), but the creativity and willpower has continued. It's quite a stretch to be a fan.
You can say that again. Still dazzles me, the fact that it's 2015 and we're getting a new studio LP and he's still touring + other stuff on the way. Brian is like a cork on the ocean. Damn, he should use that metaphor in a song!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:19:19 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »

I wasn't going to listen to the preview, but I couldn't help myself after all the good words in this thread. With a handful of slightly puzzling exceptions (hard to judge from a 15 second clip, of course), I think this album sounds like it's gonna be RAD. Seriously. And it just sounds like the music with exceptional melodies and maturity that an artist the caliber of Brian has wanted to make for a good long while, music that has been bottled up inside of him... that he wasn't held back in any way, shape or form, by any bandmate(s) with an ego-based agenda. Unfortunate, but the truth. I guess maybe that's why it has to be a solo album.  

It sounds like he really took his time making this as good as it could be, and while I disliked the album's title when I first heard it, I now absolutely LOVE it, because it hit me that this sounds to be the work of an artist unencumbered by the BBs name and all the baggage and needless detours such as demands (not requests, but demands) for mythical rooms that would come with recording a latter-day album (sans Carl and Dennis and their influence to hold Mike back from his current power leverage position), with the BB name on it.

No pier pressure, indeed.

Brian will surely have the last laugh here because this is gonna kick ass, and I feel pretty certain in thinking this is a far better piece of art than would have been with the compromises needed for this to have been a 2015 BB album.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:02:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  I think I'll pass. Cool Guy

Oh crap!!!  Looks like I'm reflecting on something in Cent Dep's post.  No...it was a negative comment about something way up that I had quoted...and then thought...Nawwwww.  I think I'll pass... after erasing my initial 'contrifriggin'bution.

Why...I thought...should I take something that looks kinda bad [to me] and MAKE IT WORSE?  So here we are...sorry Cent Dep.

Nice 'willpower'  there buddy.  Wink LOL
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:13:53 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »

I agree with him, personally. As for TLOS, I did think it was a great album.

I think it will be more commercial or to be more specific more commercially sounding than TLOS.  TLOS was for Wilson fanatics periods.  NPP is going to be for Wilson fanatics and the general public as much as a BW project in 2015 can be geared towards the general public anyway.  Judging from some of the samples, if this album was released in the eighties Brian would've had a legitimate "Brian Wilson is Back!" hit on his hands.  Much has changed in thirty years in how records are moved and what makes them successful so I think some moderate radio airplay and a successful tour would be a good indicator of commercial success which I think is more than attainable with this particular record.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »

I agree with him, personally. As for TLOS, I did think it was a great album.

I think it will be more commercial or to be more specific more commercially sounding than TLOS.  TLOS was for Wilson fanatics periods.  NPP is going to be for Wilson fanatics and the general public as much as a BW project in 2015 can be geared towards the general public anyway.  Judging from some of the samples, if this album was released in the eighties Brian would've had a legitimate "Brian Wilson is Back!" hit on his hands.  Much has changed in thirty years in how records are moved and what makes them successful so I think some moderate radio airplay and a successful tour would be a good indicator of commercial success which I think is more than attainable with this particular record.

I too think NPP won't just be for Wilson fanatics, as evidenced by the prominent inclusion of Al on lead vocals on the lead single. It's more than a bit unusual for the lead single on a Brian Wilson record to not be Brian Wilson himself (this doesn't really bother me), but I think it's also geared at a large section of BB fans too. It was a bit odd to have to explain to a couple friends who I played the song for yesterday. I introduced the song as the "new Brian Wilson track off his upcoming album", and they were like "that's not Brian Wilson!"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:52:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »

Sounds boring and doesn't sound like Brian Wilson.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »

How does Brian Wilson sound?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »

How does Brian Wilson sound?

Like everything he's recorded since 1961, I guess.

Except Speed Turtle. I like to pretend that was somebody I don't care for, like Stevie Nicks after a sex change or something LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »

Brian's voice sounds fantastic on One Kind of Love

Looking forward to On the Island, Last Song, and Saturday Night the most.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »

What strikes me the most after listening to the previews of the songs, is the instrumentation and production.  It's a complete departure from the stuff he did before, in my opinion.  It literally sounds like he fired the entire band and hired a whole new one, then went out of his way to try and make it sound different than stuff he's done for the past 15 years.

And I like it.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »

The last 20 years of Brian Wilson, on one simple timeline.

1995 -- Orange Crate Art*
1997 -- The Wilsons (four tracks)
1998 -- Imagination
1999 -- First solo tour
           Brian Wilson Presents Smile (DVD)
2007 -- New Music from an Old Friend (two tracks)
2008 -- That Lucky Old Sun
2009 -- That Lucky Old Sun (DVD)
2010 -- Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
2011 -- In the Key of Disney
2012 -- That's Why God Made the Radio**
           The Beach Boys Live in Concert (DVD)**
2013 -- The Beach Boys Live: 50th Anniversary Tour (live)**
2015 -- No Pier Pressure

* With Van Dyke Parks
** With the Beach Boys

-- 11 studio albums
-- 3 live albums
-- 6 DVDs

I hope those aren't really the last 20 years of Brian Wilson...

Judging from the clips, Brian is in good voice. The previews aren't stunning me though like the TWGMTR previews stunned me. I think it's going to be an ok album, but like Andrew I think it will rank after TLOS. If that's "negativity" for the BW religious fanatics on this board, go blow yourselves up.

When NPP comes out, I'll probably listen through GIOMH just before it, that's going to make me appreciate it more! Cheesy

One thing bugs me: the price for the vinyl on Amazon. 60 Euros?!? And I'm going to buy it at the record shop, where it's going to be more expensive still...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »

Uh guys, actually crying here. Best BW album of my lifetime? Most Likely. Runaway Dancer sounds like a contender for a new fav "weird" track

Edit: Let me back this up.
I love, I mean LOVE TLOS. Don't give me that guys, from what I'm hearing this is much more of the BDubs I love. Crazy, beautiful, and deep as the ocean when it needs to be.

I actually think the synths make this more Brian than anything else.

The guest singers and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING SOUNDING VOCALS will, from what I've heard, carry this above anything I've seen come from Brian in my time here on earth.

and again, that's not AUTOTUNE. It's a very modern (not in a good way in some cases...) style of mixing vocals. A cheap tactic to double track... Not much better, but it's not AUTOTUNE. I really dislike that...

What strikes me the most after listening to the previews of the songs, is the instrumentation and production.  It's a complete departure from the stuff he did before, in my opinion.  It literally sounds like he fired the entire band and hired a whole new one, then went out of his way to try and make it sound different than stuff he's done for the past 15 years.

And I like it.

I LOVE the sound they had before, but it was honestly getting old... It was time for some new stuff, and this hits the damn spot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:26:59 PM by FatherOfTheMan (Vito Salutation) » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »

Uh guys, actually crying here. Best BW album of my lifetime? Most Likely. Runaway Dancer sounds like a contender for a new fav "weird" track

Edit: Let me back this up.
I love, I mean LOVE TLOS. Don't give me that guys, from what I'm hearing this is much more of the BDubs I love. Crazy, beautiful, and deep as the ocean when it needs to be.

I actually think the synths make this more Brian than anything else.

The guest singers and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING SOUNDING VOCALS will, from what I've heard, carry this above anything I've seen come from Brian in my time here on earth.

and again, that's not AUTOTUNE. It's a very modern (not in a good way in some cases...) style of mixing vocals. A cheap tactic to double track... Not much better, but it's not AUTOTUNE. I really dislike that...

And I like it.

I LOVE the sound they had before, but it was honestly getting old... It was time for some new stuff, and this hits the damn spot.

I've used autotune on some projects, and I know what it sounds like...and that ain't it. Not every pitch correction unit sounds the same either. Now, I'm certain there were digital effects used, but not the kind some think. That gives me an idea...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »

Oh and to touch on something else, I agree that it was time to change things up a bit.  This sounds more genuine than some other projects in the past, if I'm being frank. It's amazing what a little bit of confidence can do...seems like Brian's got his swagger back, and I love it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »

To prove a point.... here's five versions of the exact same vocal lines I did. One of these has autotune, one of these has a different pitch correction unit, and the rest of them don't. How well can you *really* pinpoint this? Same reverb and compression are used to make it fair.

Which has the autotune?

One, two, three, four, or five? The answer may surprise you. And to REALLY throw you off, one is totally 'dry' apart from the reverb.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4k90yp

Answers tomorrow...I'm very interested to see if anyone correctly guesses.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx