gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:05:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75528 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »

Just listened to the samples and if this isn't a #1 album on the AC chart, I don't know what is.

It feels VERY refreshing. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »

If Mike were on this one, he wouldn't have let Al sing five leads, that's for sure.
Huh?? Surely Al is an amazingly better singer than the luhvster. Much rather hear him anytime.

The "he" I was referring to was Mike, not Brian. Wink
OOPS!! Roll Eyes  Sorry, Wirestone and yes, I agree. So damn happy he has absolutely nothing to do with this album. Happy Dance

Just to be clear guys , Al has one lead , "The Right Time" , sings the chorus lead on "Tell Me Why", shares leads with Brian and Blondie on "Sail Away' , doubles the chorus lead with Brian on "Somewhere Quiet" and a few lines in "Whatever Happened"....
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »

I'm liking what I'm hearing!  This album sounds promising.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »

It's hard to tell just by comparing to the preview but do you all think "Our Special Love" is the same mix that was released on Hollens' album?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »

Just listened to the samples and if this isn't a #1 album on the AC chart, I don't know what is.

It feels VERY refreshing. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Let's hope it get's the promotion it deserves.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »

I cannot listen to the sample in my country, but all your comments are exciting!

Question: what about auto-tune?Huh Nothing at all?!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:57:24 PM by zatch » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »

Upon a few more listens to the samples, I am definitely impressed by pretty much everything I've heard, but here's the ones that really stood out to me:

This Beautiful Day
Whatever Happened
On The Island
Guess You Had To Be There
I'm Feeling Sad
Tell Me Why
Sail Away
One Kind Of Love
Saturday Night (I'm not a big Fun/Nate Ruess fan, but he does sound phenomenal.)

I can see there being a lot of mixed opinions on Runaway Dance (It's really different, but I dig it) and Don't Worry (Only sample that I'm not a big fan of.)

All and all, it really does sound fantastic and I cannot wait to hear the whole thing (and 1975 ITBOMM!) Cheesy
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »

Saturday Night takes me back to the Vegas show.  Nate was THE highlight guest performer.  He brought down the house with his songs.  It looked to me that Brian's band (and Blondie in particular) were also really impressed with what he brought to the table.  Saturday Night was my fave new song that we heard that night and it is my fave of the samples presented here.  Love the banjo, the backing vocals and the melody is so perfectly sung.   Damn.  Damn.  Damn.  That is some tasty business.  Off to listen again!  Can't wait to be playing the whole she-bang.  Thanks for the embarrassment of riches Brian!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »

Shocked

This is incredible. Really diverse set of music here, and it's all top-notch quality. As Wirestone pointed out in another thread, notice the track times - it's great to see Brian get back into the 2-3 minute range.

Damn.  Damn.  Damn.

My sentiments exactly. Guys we are being spoiled rotten here by one of the greatest songwriters ever. Wonderful time to be a fan!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »

On my first, and admiteddly distracted, listen, the song that stands out as having the most hit potential, for whatever that is worth, is Saturday Night (assuming there is no Nate Ruess fatigue at the time it is released as a single, and assuming it is released as a single).

Sounds like a great batch of songs, I look forward to owning the CD (yes, the CD)!

EoL
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:42:12 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »

I have mixed feelings about the production style (as I knew I would), but I'm excited to hear the little sunshine pop/Bacharach splashes, plus the shift in focus away from predictable BBs pastiche.  Looking forward to hearing more!

"Jeff, you care." --BW
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »

OMG I am hyped about this! This Beautiful Day reminds me of Think About the Days and Our Prayer, Runaway Dancer sounds like one of my songs style-wise and could be a hit if released as a single, Whatever Happened has Pet Sounds-style bass, LOVE LOVE LOVE On The Island...and those  are just my initial feelings. Listening to the rest, my God...this album is going to be a MOTHERFUCKER. Gorgeous vocals, and the best production on a BW solo album by far. If this had been the followup to TWGMTR as a Beach Boys album, it would've been the best one-two punch for the band since Sunflower/Surf's Up artistically. Instead, Brian's about to put out a *great* album that would further cement his status as America's greatest pop songwriter.

Hell yeah. Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »

group hug 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:53 PM »

Oh man, I feel guilty for being a little harsh on The Right Time last night, because these samples are good. I'm most excited to hear "Saturday Night" again, because that's been in my head ever since someone uploaded Nate Reuss' set to Youtube. I only listened to it once, but this sample makes me think it might be one of BW's all-time greats. He's still got it.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »

As I glided across these songs hearing outstanding vocals and shear bliss harmonies, I thought to myself, "Damn, who needs Mike and Bruce here? This is "No Pier Pressure" by The Beach Boys!!

Too bad Mike lost out by upsetting the cart. Poor Bruce missed out and decided to follow the Gravy Train. As far as I'm concerned this is the continuation of the "Thank God Made The Radio" album by The Beach Boys. Or could it be "One For The Boys Vol. II"?  Grin

Very much looking forward to hearing Brian's new album in its entirety!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »

"Don't let go, there's still time for us so let's take it slow"  - The Last Song.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »

the right time and what ever happened are the only two songs with Dave, correct? And AL is actually on 5 different songs?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

I wasn't gonna wait 'til the cd arrived.   Are you kidding?  New Brian material...but I'll wait?  Ya...THAT'S gonna happen. LOL

These wee snippets of pure magic don't take me back to a bygone era...although these gems are certainly a progression from then to now.  A NATURAL progression.  While some folks...likely many...bemoan the way things fell out of place during year 50 it would seem that it may well have merely been the stars aligning themselves properly.

As was always the case back in the GLORY years Brian has surrounded himself with the A Team.  To share the lead vocals throughout was ALWAYS the way Brian did it.  Now...it's the way he's doing it again and it works for him.  It also works for us.  When Brian is inspired...WE get inspired and he has a crew with him on No Pier Pressure who have clearly inspired him.  It's contagious. Cool

The album is as advertised if the little pieces available are true indicators.  'They'...and I include Ray in this...have suggested all along that Brian really put his heart and soul into THIS album.  It's ever-so-easy to HEAR that THAT is true.  Not since BWPS have I looked forward with justified excitement and anticpation to sitting back in a perfect setting to enjoy a Brian Wilson masterwork.  THIS is exactly that.  It's not a reimagining of anything.  It's not a recreation of something left hanging.  It's BRAND SPANKING NEW Brian Wilson and FRIENDS.  There-in beams the difference.

The absolute hardest part of dealing with No Pier Pressure will be the conundrum of trying to figure out which song you like the best.  It could well take years.  This album is truly something special.  We...and others...will be singing its praises LONG after some of us have ceased to exist.  

Jackpot Brian.  Congratulations.  IF you EVER 'lost' it???...You most assuredly have it back again.  FAN-Freakin-tastic.  THAT's what I call *M U S I C*. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:08:03 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »

My thoughts when I heard the songs for the first time went something like this. "You know who is going to be really pissed off about this album?" the response was outlined in a few posts above.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »

Zooey Deschanel and Brian..."with a drink in my hand..."  Hell, yeah!  Smiley

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »

I know we are all super excited cause it's new music from Brian and it seriously sounds good, and it's new.

But the thing is, I really do agree with others who have said this really could be Brian's best solo album. The songwriting here does sound wonderful. Inspired. Whether it's old things that have been revamped or new stuff, it sounds vital. And that's what is really hitting me with these clips.

I also really like Brian and Al as a team. As other have said, back in the day, Brian didn't write every song for him to be on lead. So why should it be that way now? I like that you've got Al on there in many parts. You've got Blondie. And so on.

And as with 'Add Some' this is the most excited I've been for a Brian Wilson solo album since BWPS. And unlike that one, this one is basically gonna be brand new to us. I'll be honest, back in maybe 2006 or 2007 I kinda wrote Brian Wilson off as a current artist. I loved his music and I was sure there was a bit of great stuff in the vault, but I just didn't think either his voice or his songwriting skills were really worthy of him "mattering" anymore as a current artist. But then, TLOS happened, and while I didn't like it as much as some, I heard a bit of still vital songwriting. But I thought that was about as good as it'd get for Brian. Then BWRG came out and I was taken by his voice again. A lot of those vocals sounded better than anything he'd done since the '70s. Then The SMiLE Sessions happened and we heard The Beach Boys were reuniting. And I had hope that the vocals of the other guys would cover the fact that Brian wasn't what he used to be. But then the new version of "Do It Again" came out and Brian's part sounded better to me then Carl's 1968 part. And then the title track from TWGMTR came out, and I heard the best Brian lead vocal that had come out in my lifetime. And then I heard "Summer's Gone" a few weeks later and that astounded me. He sounded like Brian Wilson again. And the songwriting on TWGMTR....well it was the best since his first solo album. So I was reconverted to the school of Brian.

And now, seeing that he was working with Blondie again. And working a lot with Al, I heard what I needed to know! Five Al Jardine vocals on this new album, wow! They sound awesome together. Even if the songs with Al are the only good ones on here, that's enough for me. That stuff sounds that good. But it won't be. The other clips sound very, very good too.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »

Also, listened to the clips again. "Sail Away" definitely has a "Sloop John B" vibe as someone mentioned a few months ago.

I also now like "Saturday Night" a bit after hearing the studio recording. It sounds like a Format song to me. And for those who don't know, The Format was Nate Reuss' old band. I'm not familiar with his band fun. but yeah.

And "The Right Time" has really grown on me since yesterday. It's my favorite right now.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »

must not hear songs until CD is released.....these positive comments aren't helping!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »

I like the "Busy doing nothing" Jazz vibe in a couple of the songs... I also like the first song it reminds me of the intro from TWGMTR and the Suite... the 80's sounding synth songs may sound funny but the fact that the 80's have been coming back the last couple years I guess it makes sense, also there is a Love You vibe to those songs, but yeah it's 2015 the same year that Marty McFly went to the retro 80's diner..so it looks like maybe Brian is doing the 80's retro thing....I like it,,
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx