gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:02:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75520 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »

Meanwhile, a lot of us will sit by the water with a nice drink listening to what appears so far to be a truly mellow,  healing (Brian is officially know for this, check NPR), delightful Brian Wilson creation.  I like my Spring/Summer plans already.

This. I don't even want to visit this board on the 7th because I know the usual group of posters will be spouting their unwarranted repetitious negativity....not that I'm at all opposed to critiques and discussing things I don't like about the album, but I really hope it doesn't devolve into the usual pages long anti-Brian diatribes.
I'll probably check out all the interference all the while listening to what appears to be an incredible Brian Wilson solo album. It'll make me enjoy it all the better.  Tongue

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »

Why is that, if I may politely ask so?
Because I have heard artifacts, echo, compression and the like on previews that were not present later when I bought the physical product.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »

I now GUARANTEE "This Beautiful Day" has some connection to the "Life" suite.

I might just support that guarantee. Listening to the Amazon preview, the string bit there contains pretty much the exact same melody line as Summer's Gone during the latter song's  break. So, that's either one happy coincidence, one happy recycling, or else...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »

Another reason, the quality of the sample streams is poor beyond belief. So the production will sound very digitized. The radio stream of 'Right Time' made the song sound pretty bad, but the iTunes download version sounds really clear and beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:11:29 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »

This stuff sounds really cool! I hear more Brian Wilson on this than Joe Thomas.
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »

I'm very happy for those who don't have an issue with the production. I mean, I wish I didn't so I could just truly enjoy the music!
Judging by the previews this album is better than a Brian Wilson album has any right to be this late in the game, so it's truly a great gift to us all. The songwriting seems really good.
But I'm having a hard time with the production values. All the overtly pitched vocals and cheesy Joe Thomas production touches are not my cup of tea at all.
It takes away from my enjoyment of the album. A great deal. I mean, the last Beach Boys album had the same issues. There were some top notch songs on it and the songwriting and cohesion was better than anyone could have expected. But boy, was the production hard for me to listen to. My favorite songs on the album are From There To Back Again and Pacific Coast Highway, but even on those songs I can't help but feel the emotional impact on me suffers from the overtly pitched vocals. Al's still a hell of singer and doesn't need to sound robotic. I hope people won't write angry responses to this message, cause I've been quite clear that this is my personal opinion. And through the years I've come to enjoy this place for people's critical views. This has always been a place for people that thought for themselves, that dug deeper than others, that turned stones. People that don't let commerce and clever press releases whip them up.

I completely agree.  I've tried taking some time away from the samples and re-listening to them anew, but I cannot get past the production style, either the easy listening adult contemporary Joe Thomas-y ones or the "contemporary" style ones.  (And it's not a result of a stream - a preview stream doesn't create the syntho-horns or '70s light rock guitar licks or thin Joe Thomas drum sounds or those sax parts or etc. etc.)

Judging by what we've heard, this is trending into the same place as TWGMTR and Imagination for me, as albums with some good songs on them that I have to pass on because the production style just really eats at me.  I can't get into it at all.  That's just my opinion, though.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »

Sigh. This is just the beginning. For the next xx years, we'll be dealing with people claiming that NPP sounds like "Runaway Dancer" and "Don't Worry" -- which are clearly the two synth-poppy exceptions in a 16-track album.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »

Okay woah woah woah man!

Runaway Dancer is looking to be my new favorite BDubs solo song... don't low blow <3

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »

Another reason, the quality of the sample streams is poor beyond belief. So the production will sound very digitized. The radio stream of 'Right Time' made the song sound pretty bad, but the iTunes download version sounds really clear and beautiful.

Agreed.  AND, the one fellow who has heard most or all of NPP has already posted about it here some time ago and he has an impeccable ear.  He was happy and described what he heard with a fair amount of detail (anyone know what thread it was?).  With that in mind, I am not even slightly worried about this, just waiting to get my cd and downloads. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »

I'm very happy for those who don't have an issue with the production. I mean, I wish I didn't so I could just truly enjoy the music!
Judging by the previews this album is better than a Brian Wilson album has any right to be this late in the game, so it's truly a great gift to us all. The songwriting seems really good.
But I'm having a hard time with the production values. All the overtly pitched vocals and cheesy Joe Thomas production touches are not my cup of tea at all.

Just let go of your ego man.  I get the same way sometimes, if you

A. know you want to like it

B. know other people like it

C. know it's o.k. to like it

D. are happy that other people like it

All you have to do is

E. choose to like it

It's o.k., we won't tell anybody that you like Joe Thomas.  At the end of the day, who gives a sh*t?  It's just music, it's cheezy and corny, but cheezy and corny is code word for 'great'.

Who's the cheeziest singer of all time?

Elvis Presley

Who's the  greatest singer of all time?

Likely.... Elvis Presley

What's the cheeziest thing I can say to you right now?

I love you.

What's the greatest thing I can say to you right now?

I love you.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2015, 12:09:19 AM »

Anybody think of Summer's Gone as soon as hearing This Beautiful Day?

Runaway Dancer kicks ass, too. I know it'll be a divisive track here, but I love the sh*t out of what I've heard of it.

Guess You Had to be there sounds like a hit too.

I'm kind of on the fence with Sail Away, actually. The clips I've heard so far haven't blown me away, but I'm expecting the full thing will be pretty spiffy.

One Kind of Love sounds pretty good.

Saturday Night needs to be a single too. I've become a fan of fun. over the past year so this hit the spot for me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2015, 02:05:49 AM »

Because I have heard artifacts, echo, compression and the like on previews that were not present later when I bought the physical product.
Given that previews are extracted from the final digital production masters already waiting in the wings of iTunes, amazon etc., that is very interesting.
Of course, the quality of streams is a lot lower than the hi-res masters and it has an effect on the listening experience for trained ears. I've had leaked albums in mp3 that I couldn't get into until I bought the vinyl on release day. It can make the difference between begin able to let music into your heart or not.
BUT, the previews are the final product. It is what is. I'm appalled by the way some people feel personally offended by someone having another view and listening experience. There's no need to try and convince others of what to hear or experience. It's a personal experience and everybody's has it's own and has the right to have their own taste, views and experience.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2015, 03:54:01 AM »

Anybody think of Summer's Gone as soon as hearing This Beautiful Day?

Runaway Dancer kicks ass, too. I know it'll be a divisive track here, but I love the sh*t out of what I've heard of it.

Guess You Had to be there sounds like a hit too.

I'm kind of on the fence with Sail Away, actually. The clips I've heard so far haven't blown me away, but I'm expecting the full thing will be pretty spiffy.

One Kind of Love sounds pretty good.

Saturday Night needs to be a single too. I've become a fan of fun. over the past year so this hit the spot for me.

Runaway dancer has been 1 minute looping on my PC for 12 hours while I worked

That fu*kin song.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

Given that previews are extracted from the final digital production masters already waiting in the wings of iTunes, amazon etc., that is very interesting.
Of course, the quality of streams is a lot lower than the hi-res masters and it has an effect on the listening experience for trained ears. I've had leaked albums in mp3 that I couldn't get into until I bought the vinyl on release day. It can make the difference between begin able to let music into your heart or not.
BUT, the previews are the final product. It is what is. I'm appalled by the way some people feel personally offended by someone having another view and listening experience. There's no need to try and convince others of what to hear or experience. It's a personal experience and everybody's has it's own and has the right to have their own taste, views and experience.
Yorick, you specifically and politely asked me why I thought that way. Listen, you do whatever you want. You shouldn't have bothered posting if you didn't want to hear about anyone else's experience with it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:34:11 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

GYHTBT is awesomely great.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »

GYHTBT is awesomely great.

Agreed! That one's really kickin my ass. Can't wait to hear the full song.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »

Yorick, you specifically and politely asked me why I thought that way. Listen, you do whatever you want. You shouldn't have bothered posting if you didn't want to hear about anyone else's experience with it.
I was very interested in why you stated what you did because the previews are the final digital production masters, hence why I asked you to specify.
Otherwise I was not addressing you with the second part of my post. I'm very, very interested in and open to others' personal opinions on and experiences with the samples provided so far.
That said, I just don't like it when people take offense if somebody else's views are different to theirs and critical of artistic choices made by Brian.
No one on this board is not a fan of the genius of Brian Wilson, so with that out of the way we should be able to let everybody have their say in a polite and thorough manner. No need to convince anybody.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:39:15 AM by Yorick » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »

Pretty simple to summarize this dilemma, I think.  Sometimes I listen to music in a degraded condition out of curiosity.  Then I play it on my system with my cool speakers and the amplifier set the way Brian always liked it, and I'm mightily more impressed.  Samples have a degraded quality for an obvious reason. We can all calm down now, and wait for the final product which most of us will hear on a good sound system, eventually.  I personally like the suspense and titillation, but I'm a female, so...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »

I personally like the suspense and titillation, but I'm a female, so...

That goes SO far into explaining all your posts

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »

I guess the new clips prove that "Guess You Had To Be There" and "Sharing A New Day" are one and the same.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx