gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680606 Posts in 27602 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 30, 2024, 02:54:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75576 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »

That doesn't sound like Nate.  I have heard Nate sing the song a couple of times live (Vegas rehearsal and performance) and also heard the clip of the final studio version.  Sounds like a different singer.  Can I get a witness?  At any rate, this is the track I am most looking forward to on the new album.  Can't wait to hear the whole album top to bottom.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Damn straight!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

Apologies if this has already been posted (did a search for the link). But here's the official album trailer for No Pier Pressure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vj5u-CXkE

Apology accepted. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:50 AM »

Some of the songs I'm looking forward to the most:

Runaway Dancer
On The Island - I'm a huge Bossanova fan
Somewhere Quiet
I'm Feeling Sad -- I THINK THIS WILL BE SPECTACULAR
One Kind of Love
Saturday Night -- Just because that song has been stuck in my head since the Vegas show
and of course...Last Song

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »

Nate Ruess just had a new single released yesterday.  He's now pursuing a solo career, so I figure Saturday Night will definitely be a single.
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »

I sang the guide vocal on Saturday night. A lot of the bg's you hear on that version are me & BW.
Matt J
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »

Nice work there Matt.  Hope the album becomes known as a classic.  It has a chance to accomplish that. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »

I sang the guide vocal on Saturday night. A lot of the bg's you hear on that version are me & BW.
Matt J

Thanks so much for explaining, Matt.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »

Thanks for solving the mystery Matt!  I knew my ears weren't deceiving me.  I'd love to hear a good mix of that early version.  I'd certainly pay for it!  They should put it on a b-side or rarities comp!
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »

Has anybody in the UK purchased the "Our Special Love" MP3 from Amazon UK from "No Pier Pressure"? Based on the sample, BWs vocals sound better produced than on the Peter Hollens album version.

Amazon UK is the only place where I have seen this track available for immediate download/purchase.

I'm in the US and I am unable to purchase directly from Amazon UK.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »

Thanks for clarifying, Matt!

Just a FYI, Matt also posted to the board last January (2014) about his work in the studio with Brian, Blondie, demo'ing and recording vocals, etc. for the new album. So some of the wild and bizarre speculations and opinions that had hit this board about what was or wasn't done in the process of recording the album was addressed on this board by someone directly involved back in January 2014...for the record.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »

Matt J

Sounds like a hit..

Congrats Matt!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »

Sounds like it's gonna be really good are listening to the previews. Might have been answered, but are any of these songs one's which would have appeared on TWGMTR or are outtakes from that time period (or would have been on the next Beach Boys album?).
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

Sounds like it's gonna be really good are listening to the previews. Might have been answered, but are any of these songs one's which would have appeared on TWGMTR or are outtakes from that time period (or would have been on the next Beach Boys album?).

The bonus tracks are rumoured to be part of the 'Life Suite' I believe, though I can't recall what the original source is on that or if it's just fan speculation.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2015, 01:08:24 AM »

Having listened to the samples a few times i'm actually very much looking forward to listening to this. I don't mind the sound of the productuon either, i'd rather not listen to something full of BW cliche trademarks (bass harmonica etc) just for the sake of it.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:08 AM »

The bonus tracks are rumoured to be part of the 'Life Suite' I believe, though I can't recall what the original source is on that or if it's just fan speculation.

I think that was speculation based on the melancholy titles.  Do those tracks sound Life Suitey, based on the previews?  I haven't heard them.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:20 AM »

I think that was speculation based on the melancholy titles.  Do those tracks sound Life Suitey, based on the previews?  I haven't heard them.

The bonus song "I'm Feeling Sad" has some ba-da-ba type wordless vocals that are very similar to a section from 'There And Back Again' and sound more like typical Burt Bacharach than Brian Wilson, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was told that both songs came from the same place. Another of the bonus songs 'Somewhere Quiet' sounds like an attempt to create a classic mid-60s Beach Boys song. If one supposes that something called a"Life Suite" would feature a section about looking back to the past, then 'Somewhere Quiet' would be a perfect song for that. I guess the third bonus song 'Don't Worry' might represent a happy carefree time in BW's  'Life Suite', but this song is probably the worst sounding of any of the 16 samples, so I'm not psyched to hear the rest of it at all.

And, I gotta say I'm Feeling Sad today that there are still no samples for the new album on Itunes other than the single. I thought for sure that a new week and a new month would bring us some 90 second Itunes samples, but sadly no. For comparison's sake the new Todd Rundgren CD which will also be released on 4/7/15 has had Itunes samples posted for the whole album since 2/9/15. I hope it happens soon because the anticipation is killing me.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »

The bonus song "I'm Feeling Sad" has some ba-da-ba type wordless vocals that are very similar to a section from 'There And Back Again' and sound more like typical Burt Bacharach than Brian Wilson, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was told that both songs came from the same place. Another of the bonus songs 'Somewhere Quiet' sounds like an attempt to create a classic mid-60s Beach Boys song. If one supposes that something called a"Life Suite" would feature a section about looking back to the past, then 'Somewhere Quiet' would be a perfect song for that. I guess the third bonus song 'Don't Worry' might represent a happy carefree time in BW's  'Life Suite', but this song is probably the worst sounding of any of the 16 samples, so I'm not psyched to hear the rest of it at all.

And, I gotta say I'm Feeling Sad today that there are still no samples for the new album on Itunes other than the single. I thought for sure that a new week and a new month would bring us some 90 second Itunes samples, but sadly no. For comparison's sake the new Todd Rundgren CD which will also be released on 4/7/15 has had Itunes samples posted for the whole album since 2/9/15. I hope it happens soon because the anticipation is killing me.

You know "Somewhere Quiet" actually is, in a way, a classic mid sixties Beach Boys song, right? It is literally "Summer Means New Love" but now with vocals. And from the preview it sounds absolutely lovely. As does "I'm Feeling Sad" in my opinion. Brian sounds great on both.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

I think that was speculation based on the melancholy titles.  Do those tracks sound Life Suitey, based on the previews?  I haven't heard them.

The bonus song "I'm Feeling Sad" has some ba-da-ba type wordless vocals that are very similar to a section from 'There And Back Again' and sound more like typical Burt Bacharach than Brian Wilson, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was told that both songs came from the same place. Another of the bonus songs 'Somewhere Quiet' sounds like an attempt to create a classic mid-60s Beach Boys song. If one supposes that something called a"Life Suite" would feature a section about looking back to the past, then 'Somewhere Quiet' would be a perfect song for that. I guess the third bonus song 'Don't Worry' might represent a happy carefree time in BW's  'Life Suite', but this song is probably the worst sounding of any of the 16 samples, so I'm not psyched to hear the rest of it at all.

You know "Somewhere Quiet" actually is, in a way, a classic mid sixties Beach Boys song, right? It is literally "Summer Means New Love" but now with vocals.

Is that from the horse's mouth? Because though I hear elements of SMNL (also of Your Summer Dream), it doesn't sound like the same song song to me anymore than The Right Time is the same song as Lay Down Burden.  Admittedly, I'm not the best at hearing these things.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:11:50 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »

I think that was speculation based on the melancholy titles.  Do those tracks sound Life Suitey, based on the previews?  I haven't heard them.

The bonus song "I'm Feeling Sad" has some ba-da-ba type wordless vocals that are very similar to a section from 'There And Back Again' and sound more like typical Burt Bacharach than Brian Wilson, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was told that both songs came from the same place. Another of the bonus songs 'Somewhere Quiet' sounds like an attempt to create a classic mid-60s Beach Boys song. If one supposes that something called a"Life Suite" would feature a section about looking back to the past, then 'Somewhere Quiet' would be a perfect song for that. I guess the third bonus song 'Don't Worry' might represent a happy carefree time in BW's  'Life Suite', but this song is probably the worst sounding of any of the 16 samples, so I'm not psyched to hear the rest of it at all.

You know "Somewhere Quiet" actually is, in a way, a classic mid sixties Beach Boys song, right? It is literally "Summer Means New Love" but now with vocals.

Is that from the horse's mouth? Because though I hear elements of SMNL (also of Your Summer Dream), it doesn't sound like the same song song to me anymore than The Right Time is the same song as Lay Down Burden.  Admittedly, I'm not the best at hearing these things.

Yes, it is Summer Means New Love with lyrics.  Ray Lawlor confirmed it a while back.  As for Right Time, I think people were only saying the chorus sounds like Lay Down Burden, which it does.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »

Cheers.  Looking forward to it.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

Yes, it is Summer Means New Love with lyrics.  Ray Lawlor confirmed it a while back.  As for Right Time, I think people were only saying the chorus sounds like Lay Down Burden, which it does.
Thanks for that clarification. it really does sound marvelous with lyrics; one of the very best clips for sure. I can't imagine why that song wouldn't be included on the standard edition of the CD, unless it's because it does sound so retro Beach Boys and they're going for something more up-to-date.

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »

When I listen to a song (well a preview) of something like "Guess you had to be there" I can't help but get goosebumps.

Thinking Brian being as down as he was back in the day, to today in 2015 singing such a joyous song it just fills me with a great feeling.

I'm really happy for Brian and I can't wait for this album.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »

When were TWGMTR samples put on iTunes?  That may give us the answer.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx