gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:24:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75529 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »

I can't auto tune a vocal but I can auto tune a fish *rimshot*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »

*billyshot*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

But did "Love You" get rave reviews all around back in 1977?

The only review that mattered was Lester Bangs'!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »

I have been converted.  After listening several more times since my first review yesterday, I have decided I love almost every tune and am thinking this record will be incredible.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »

Yeah, I think for many it'll be one that gets better with repeated listens.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »

I have been converted.  After listening several more times since my first review yesterday, I have decided I love almost every tune and am thinking this record will be incredible.

Welcome to the dark side.

We have steak and cake

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

Sean O'Hagan said it best:
"As far as I can see, Joe Thomas hasn't got a clue about Brian Wilson or his legacy. It's all just 'Little Deuce Coupe' to him. He wanted Brian to make a big Eighties ballad record, all cavernous snares. He kept referring to Brian's potential as an Adult Contemporary crossover artist. I sad, 'Don't you realize Brian Wilson is essentially a 20th-century avant-garde pop genius?' And he went, 'Avant-garde? Not the Brian Wilson I know'"
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »

O'Hagen's statement is certainly interesting, but it says a lot more about him than Joe Thomas or Brian Wilson.

Who on Earth seriously thinks that modern-day -- as in, the last 30 years-plus -- Brian has any interest in being an avant garde pop artist?

Joe's perspective on Brian sounds much more on point, from both a personal and commercial standpoint.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:16:18 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »

Agreed. And really, when's the last time O'Hagan was relevant?

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »

Trying so hard to refrain from the clips--but you guys are making it awfully tough. However, I've played "The Right Time" about 100 times so far...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »

Trying so hard to refrain from the clips--but you guys are making it awfully tough. However, I've played "The Right Time" about 100 times so far...

Just for giggles, just listen to Runaway Dancer and see what you think... Wink

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »

Okay, for those who played along...

1) This was the one unaltered one...completely dry except for the reverb added.
2) This, however, was the one that had the autotune! Entire segment, too.
3). No processing done here, aside from being re-EQ'd and having a de-esser used.
4) The exact same as #3, only without the equalization....and one note was tuned using Kerovee. Did that to throw people off.
5) The one that sounds the most processed, yet no pitch correction used. As mentioned above,  I used an emulator to simulate Robert Fripp's 'Frippertronix'.

Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »

Okay, for those who played along...

1) This was the one unaltered one...completely dry except for the reverb added.
2) This, however, was the one that had the autotune! Entire segment, too.
3). No processing done here, aside from being re-EQ'd and having a de-esser used.
4) The exact same as #3, only without the equalization....and one note was tuned using Kerovee. Did that to throw people off.
5) The one that sounds the most processed, yet no pitch correction used. As mentioned above,  I used an emulator to simulate Robert Fripp's 'Frippertronix'.

I knew it was 2! That was a really cool game, Billy! I personally think that autotune is fine as long as it's not obvious (unless of course the song calls for obvious autotune as an effect). If there is autotune on the No Pier Pressure previews (which I bet there is), its not too obvious so I'm ok with it.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »

Son of a gun... Never heard any affordable autotune that doesn't cause some noticeable EQ fudging... you got me! Nice work!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »

See, it's all how it's used. It can be obvious, or very hard to notice. Also, there are so many things that sound like it to the untrained ear.

These days, it's pretty easy to get (legal) free plug ins , thankfully!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2015, 11:32:18 PM »

Haha, I guessed right. This now gives me the right to call out Joe Thomas on his overuse of autotune whenever I see fit, with zero repercussions. Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »

Was it the "meant"? Because that was the one note that seemed processed to me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2015, 12:16:51 AM »

I bought a Fleetwood Mac DVD that was produced by Joe Thomas and there was no evidence of autotune at all, the vocals sounded all natural and it's a fantastic recording.  I don't understand what gave him the idea to put it all over the Beach Boys live album.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »

I bought a Fleetwood Mac DVD that was produced by Joe Thomas and there was no evidence of autotune at all, the vocals sounded all natural and it's a fantastic recording.  I don't understand what gave him the idea to put it all over the Beach Boys live album.

1. BW is co-producer. Why does everybody blame Joe?

2. One is prompted to correct pitch if the vocals recordings are out of tune. Perhaps that was/is the case.

3. A little pitch-correcting and processing could have made GIOMH a better album.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2015, 05:23:52 AM »

"As far as I can see, Joe Thomas hasn't got a clue about Brian Wilson or his legacy. It's all just 'Little Deuce Coupe' to him. He wanted Brian to make a big Eighties ballad record, all cavernous snares. He kept referring to Brian's potential as an Adult Contemporary crossover artist. I sad, 'Don't you realize Brian Wilson is essentially a 20th-century avant-garde pop genius?' And he went, 'Avant-garde? Not the Brian Wilson I know'"

Brian always was - and still is - an innovative writer/artist, not one of those "contemporary" artists! Sean O'Hagan is absolutely right! It's just that Brian is too weak, or rather, too kind to say what he thinks, to get rid of people...

Remember Landy?? A rock star???

http://www.gettyimages.se/detail/nyhetsfoto/brian-wilson-with-dr-eugene-landy-outside-rehearsal-for-nyhetsfoto/77697551
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:00:02 PM by bsten » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:22 AM »

With David, Al and Blondie on the album, I was expecting some real rocking sound, but no... :/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:00 AM »

With David, Al and Blondie on the album, I was expecting some real rocking sound, but no... :/

I don't think there has ever been a good chance in decades of Brian writing and recording something that truly "rocks." The most we're usually likely to hear from Brian that "rocks" would be doing something in concert like "Marcella" or something like that. The band had a brief period in the late 60's/early 70's where the harder-edge rock sound was in any sort of evidence, and a lot of that had little to do with Brian.

Now, I think it's fine if Brian doesn't "rock." That has never been his thing, and I love his music.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2015, 06:44:25 AM »

Brian always was - and still is - an innovative writer/artist, not one of those "contemporary" artists! Sean O'Hagan is absolutely right! It's just that Brian is too week, or rather, too kind to say what he thinks, to get rid of people...

http://www.gettyimages.se/detail/nyhetsfoto/brian-wilson-with-dr-eugene-landy-outside-rehearsal-for-nyhetsfoto/77697551

The question isn't "innovative" or not -- although I would question what artist of Brian's generation is still "innovative" to a significant degree. The work becomes more formalist and craft-driven over time -- that's just the arc for most recording artists (unless you're Scott Walker, I guess). The question is O'hagan's specific use of the incredibly pretentious phrase "avant garde." At most, that describes one album that Brian and the Boys ever released (Smiley), and one that they didn't (Smile), both of which were done in about the span of a year.

The kind of music that Brian has made for the bulk of his career -- before and after the Smile experience -- is thickly orchestrated, vocal-harmony based pop, with a jazzy chord sensibility. Nothing avant garde about it. He is, like many of music's most successful artists, an amazing collaborator and assimilator of influences, not necessarily a true original. That was true of the Beatles, and it's largely true of Brian. Pet Sounds isn't groundbreaking in any particular area -- more complicated and experimental songs had been written before, more intricate arrangements recorded. What Brian did was very comebine the Spector musicians with harmony vocals,  introspective lyrics and a concept of the pop album as a discrete unit of work. That was special.

Most of the collaborators Brian has repeatedly worked with understand this. Andy Paley. Joe Thomas. Scott Bennett. Even Van Dyke! All have, to one degree or another, helped Brian create thickly orchestrated, vocal-harmony based pop.

You know who Brian has never collaborated with? Sean O'Hagan. The only one who believes that Brian's music -- and Brian -- are something that they aren't. I'd bet that's not a mistake.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:48:05 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »

This isn't to say Joe Thomas is my favorite Brian collaborator, or the one I'd pick for him to work with (of the recent guys, I like Scott the best). But TWGMTR sounded far more like a BW arrangement and production than Imagination, and NPP sounds even more like BW than that (with the lovable exception of the two synth pop tracks). And Brian called Joe out of the blue to work with him again -- after multiple lawsuits in the late 90s -- so this is the big man's choice. I'm sure Melinda and everyone else in the BW orbit would be delighted not to deal with him again, but that's what Brian wanted.

In other words, I think JT and BW see eye to eye on a lot more than folks on this board would imagine.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »

Brian always was - and still is - an innovative writer/artist, not one of those "contemporary" artists! Sean O'Hagan is absolutely right! It's just that Brian is too week, or rather, too kind to say what he thinks, to get rid of people...

Really? Seriously? Now we're back to the victim Brian being manipulated into making records SOME people don't like or think Brian should make. Brian working with Mike Love, Brian working with Joe Thomas, Brian using processing tools is the real Brian. That other Brian only exists in some of your heads.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:33:52 AM by Paul J B » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx