gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:34:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 76190 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »

Sounds alright. A few samples seem pretty excellent and several others sound like the usual BW duds we've come to expect. I'm not feeling what some posters are are all thrilled about. It was a good move to include Al though. He sounds much better than BW these days. Kind of sad though that it seems like the best way to improve a Brian Wilson album in 2015 is to have less Brian Wilson on it.

Agreed.  I hear roughly 3 really good tunes that are clearly out of place with the rest which sounds like the typical solo BW plodding uninspired stuff.

To say this is his best solo album ever isn't really saying much, even if it was.

I know you're not a BW fan from your previous posts (to each his own), so I'm honestly curious...which three songs were they?

I am a huge Brian Wilson fan...but I am generally disappointed in his solo material...for the record Imagination is my favorite BW solo work.  From what I can tell I really like Our Special Love, The Right Time and Sail Away.  I hope I am eventually convinced on the rest of the album.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »

Meant to specify 'not a BW solo fan'.

Our Special Love is indeed killer. If I had to pick one, I'd say Half Moon Bay is the only track that doesn't immediately grab me.

Oddly, I hate Imagination lol. Well maybe hate is too strong a word, but it's at the bottom for me. Yes, worse than GIOMH.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:36:31 AM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/reggiedunbar/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-previews

Uploaded it to soundcloud. Don't know how long they'll let it stay due to copyright stuff. So listen fast Smiley

Thanks man!

I'm surprised. The guy can pull it off again and again it seems....

Messrs. Jardine sr. and jr.  Rock!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:27:29 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »

Thanks for the Soundcloud preview!!!

Sounds great, but a little too much of that melancholy Imagination sound...
With Al, Blondie and David on the album I was expecting at least a couple of real rockers...
The samba song is great, On the island, as is the disco type song, Runaway dancer...
I’m Feeling Sad - Summer means new love w/lyrics - a pleasant surprise! Smiley

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »

Incidentally, if anyone out there is getting very thoughtful, going "gee, I wish this were a real Beach Boys album even tho obviously it's a real Beach Boys album in all but name... maybe I should do my own compilation CD of it and put 'Pisces Brothers' in the center of it like a big stinking daybreak over the oceanic turd. Then I can close my eyes and almost smell Bruce's shorts..."

If anyone, anyone at all is thinking about doing that, just don't. Think of the children. The precious children. Also the shorts... the terrible, haunting shorts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:45:59 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »

Has this been noted on any of these NPP threads? If so, apologies.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2015/02/18/check-out-preview-of-brian-wilsons-upcoming-solo-album-no-pier-pressure/

A promo video for “The Right Time” is scheduled to premiere this Thursday at Yahoo! Music.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »

I felt two years ago that the astrological alignments favored a new creative milestone in the arc of Brian Wilson’s career, and that the Gershwin and Disney albums, and then That’s Why God Made the Radio, might be analogous to the burst of creativity that produced Today and Summer Days on the road to Pet Sounds.

And so, tucked in the corner of my mind has been an anticipation of what was to come, with the expectation that it would be exceptional. Initial responses to No Pier Pressure seem to bear out the celestial prognostication. To take it a step further – Pet Sounds was followed by Smile. And so it seems we may be witnessing a creative flowering the end of which is nowhere in sight.

Here’s what I posted then:

"TUNING IN THE LATEST STAR
FROM THE DASHBOARD OF MY CAR..."

A revealing choice of words there. One might have expected the tuning in of a station or of a song but no, in 2012 we find Brian tuning into the stars.

And the timing could not be more appropriate as the aspects do indeed progress to mirror the alignment of the mid-sixties. And not just any point in the mid-sixties, but specifically October 65 thru June 66, which, as I am sure you all know coincides with the production of Pet Sounds, not to mention Rubber Soul, Revolver and Aftermath. Can I add Blonde on Blonde to the list, I forget its release date.

The Pluto-Uranus conjunction and synod in late Leo, and Saturn's opposition to it, contributed to the climax of the Vietnam war and the POP Flower Power uprising against it, heralding a major cultural transition for humanity.

Since the mid-1960s Uranus-Pluto synod, throughout the first quarter of the cycle, a 47-year period, this cultural-revolutionary theme has fully engaged society's creative process. Now, at the turning of the first square of the cycle…the mid-1960s theme will now shift into its next prominent quarter; the creative action quarter. How this plays out is of course yet to be seen. Activists and revolutionists may storm the global stage during this transition point in the cycle; and it may produce another principal shift in our societal revolution. It may also be much more progressive due to the placements of Uranus and Pluto…It may also stimulate dynamic radical action for those born in the mid-1960s—matured forces that must now "explode into space."

This square is of extreme significance for those with prominent Uranus and Pluto natal placements, and for those with aspects to key points and planets in their natal and progressed charts by transiting Uranus and Pluto. It is fundamentally significant for all of humanity due to Uranus and Pluto's astrophysical bio-resonances, and simply for all of Earth due to the fact that all life on Earth nests within the greater planetary and cosmic cycles that create the ever-changing evolutionary symphony in which we evolve.

The Uranus Pluto Synodic Square - 2012-2015

Our current Uranus-Pluto square can produce radical, spontaneous, destructive, crazy, even war-like behavior for the spiritually unaware reactive type of younger soul. For souls more mature, this square can stimulate the motivation to adapt quickly to radical change and to create innovative solutions to emerge from or to rise above destructive scenarios and emotional turmoil. It may stimulate the creation of new technologies and modalities of thought motivated from structural systems and societal modalities that simply no longer work.

To conclude: If Brian Wilson is in tune again as he was in 1966 we may be on the receiving end of a startling new musical revelation! 1965 (TWGMTR) was followed by Pet Sounds (No Pier Pressure).

Let's Hope So.

I sent you a PM earlier, I don't think you've been online since then but I want to make sure you see it.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

Our Special Love is indeed killer. If I had to pick one, I'd say Half Moon Bay is the only track that doesn't immediately grab me.

Oddly, I hate Imagination lol. Well maybe hate is too strong a word, but it's at the bottom for me. Yes, worse than GIOMH.

Yikes..GIOMH disgusts me.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »

I love what Brian and company are doing here........ the songs are going to be interesting to hear in their complete form....

but, like others have said and suggested, the thing I do not like!  is that 90's digital production.....

the tracks sound like 'imagination' era tracks....... gosh, wish someone would fire up the old tape 8 track(s) and do things

the way they sounded best........... and not to be harsh, but Joe has gotta Go!!!!   

3 strikes, he's out (ie. stars n stripes, beach boys live 50th cd, and now this)

Sounds like Brian is keeping up his part as a performer/arranger, and doing great!

maybe it will sound better as wav. files or on vinyl    Undecided

RickB

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »

Hey Billy , In my opinion nothing is worse than Getting In Over My Hernia  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »

THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO BE BRIAN'S BEST RELEASE IN HIS SOLO CAREER.  I WILL BET.   Grin

Posted by someone who has evidently never heard TLOS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »

Also, listened to the clips again. "Sail Away" definitely has a "Sloop John B" vibe as someone mentioned a few months ago.

Also "Michael Rowed The Boat Ashore".  Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »

I'm happy for Brian and it isn't fair to judge from clips but they don't really hit my personal taste. Obviously I'm in a minority around here and I hope Brian is encouraged to keep on creating.

What's your opinion of "Pisces Brothers"? Do you like that?

Nope. I'm not really a fan of any of the bands solo music.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »

THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO BE BRIAN'S BEST RELEASE IN HIS SOLO CAREER.  I WILL BET.   Grin

Actually, I have, and the spoken word parts hurt the album a lot.  The A-Side is not very well sequenced in my opinion compared to the B-Side.   Undecided
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »

This new album sounds like a combination of Imagination and TWGMTR.  To me, the sound is comparable to Paul McCartney's NEW and I don't know why, but I'm not as bothered with the Imagination-style production as I feared I would be.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »

Incidentally, if anyone out there is getting very thoughtful, going "gee, I wish this were a real Beach Boys album even tho obviously it's a real Beach Boys album in all but name... maybe I should do my own compilation CD of it and put 'Pisces Brothers' in the center of it like a big stinking daybreak over the oceanic turd. Then I can close my eyes and almost smell Bruce's shorts..."

If anyone, anyone at all is thinking about doing that, just don't. Think of the children. The precious children. Also the shorts... the terrible, haunting shorts.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »

OK, so they're samples, and my ears are in a bad way again... but even so, I'm hearing what sounds like way too much autotune for my liking. Does Thomas know where the bodies are buried, or where the negatives are ?

There are some lovely, lovely moments, and I want to hear the complete album before pontificating (hell, I just want to hear), so I'll hold my tongue. For now.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »

Actually, I have, and the spoken word parts hurt the album a lot.  The A-Side is not very well sequenced in my opinion compared to the B-Side.   Undecided

Your opinion was rendered invalid the moment you posted what is above in caps.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »

I agree with him, personally. As for TLOS, I did think it was a great album, but I hated the interludes, and in fact liked the demos more.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »

I didn't know that.  Sorry.   Embarrassed
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »

http://brianwilson.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BWIWEBWWUSD&sku=BWIBN009

There's the surfboard for ya!
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »

Am I the only one to notice that every time there are groups of positive comments about this new album that certain "old guard" members of this board feel that they have to set the record straight and get everyone into silly negative discussions about who's holding Brian hostage forcing him to use instruments he doesn't want to use, pro tools plugins, and the like, or just generally accepting the fact that because someone likes this new music doesn't mean that they don't like Brian's older solo material.  I'm a music fan, and participate in several music message boards, and I've rarely seen the likes of this.  Just because I happen to like Led Zeppelin IV doesn't mean that everybody who likes III is a complete idiot.  I love what I hear so far and I'm not afraid to say it.  Its almost as if certain contributors think they can bully others into changing their mind.  I like Lucky Old Sun and I like what I'm hearing here, and it shouldn't mean I have to choose between the two.  Like somebody said before, thank God Brian is still creating music well into his 70s.  Someday that may not be the case.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »

So, is anyone here planning to shell out $2,700 for this package?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »

Am I the only one to notice that every time there are groups of positive comments about this new album that certain "old guard" members of this board feel that they have to set the record straight and get everyone into silly negative discussions about who's holding Brian hostage forcing him to use instruments he doesn't want to use, pro tools plugins, and the like, or just generally accepting the fact that because someone likes this new music doesn't mean that they don't like Brian's older solo material.  I'm a music fan, and participate in several music message boards, and I've rarely seen the likes of this.  Just because I happen to like Led Zeppelin IV doesn't mean that everybody who likes III is a complete idiot.  I love what I hear so far and I'm not afraid to say it.  Its almost as if certain contributors think they can bully others into changing their mind.  I like Lucky Old Sun and I like what I'm hearing here, and it shouldn't mean I have to choose between the two.  Like somebody said before, thank God Brian is still creating music well into his 70s.  Someday that may not be the case.
agreed. It's all subjective anyway.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »

Am I the only one to notice[...]
No. Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx