gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75523 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »

My thoughts when I heard the songs for the first time went something like this. "You know who is going to be really pissed off about this album?" the response was outlined in a few posts above.

I have to disagree.  If we are talking about Mike Love, I don't think he is going to be pissed and that is the problem.  See in order to be pissed off about something, you have to care enough about it in the first place.  Judging from his comments regarding TWGMTR, Mike Love either didn't sense or couldn't connect with the fact that Brian was creating some amazing music both for that record and now for it's follow-up, "No Pier Pressure".  So as Mikie stated, Love jumped off board (or upset the apple cart however you want to view it).  If the new Brian Wilson music was of any importance to Mike Love, I can't see how he wouldn't want to be a part of all of it going forward.  The problem is I don't think it is important to him, bringing me back to my original point.

Btw: If I haven't already made it clear, this stuff is fantastic!  If it was a Beach Boys record it would've been better than Radio and since it's a BW solo I have to concur with those who are saying it's probably his best solo album yet.

Unfortunately, have to completely agree with this which is the entire root of the problem.

On another note...so what exactly has gotten into Brian?  I, the staunchest Brian supporter you'd ever find, had almost given up on any relevant new music from the man.  And here we now are, with a 3d consecutive brilliant piece of work, each better than the last. So what gives with this creative rebirth at the age of 70 plus? And, of course, if only all three albums could have been a final Beach Boys trilogy...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »

Loving the clips!  Runaway Dancer, On The Island, Sail Away, and Saturday Night caught my attention immediately.  As others have stated, RD and SN definitely seem to be standouts.  To me, based on the clips it sounds like Brian has hit a home run with this CD. I can't wait to hear the entire album.

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

I wonder if we'll ever find out which songs were written with the Beach Boys in mind, and which were conceived after it became obvious the reunion was over for good.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »

Eh, I don't think it's such a great tragedy or big loss. The lack of "Pisces Brothers," nasal bleating, and lazy references to past hits will make it a better album.

Tho come to think of it, Mike could've done the "take it sloooow" line in his painfully "sensitive" voice. While pantomiming incredibly slowly in the studio to practice his stage moves.

No need to agonize over what might have been, let's enjoy what we actually HAVE! Or will soon, anyway. NOW ANNOUNCE A TOUR POR FAVOR!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:35:58 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »

I wonder if we'll ever find out which songs were written with the Beach Boys in mind, and which were conceived after it became obvious the reunion was over for good.

Beach Boys In Mind; what a great song title!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »

here we now are, with a 3d consecutive brilliant piece of work, each better than the last. So what gives with this creative rebirth at the age of 70 plus? And, of course, if only all three albums could have been a final Beach Boys trilogy...

I wonder about that.  TWgawdMTR is a Beach Boys album.  I think it might have been done with a sort of what would 'they' expect from us for our 50th anniversay album.  Why wouldn't they consider that?  [consider 'us'?]  That said...I'm not a big fan of the idea of drooling over teenage girls and pretending that we can still do all of the sh!t we used to be able to pull of as if we were living some kind of 'groundhog day' type of endless summer.  Those days are long gone no matter what Michael Edward thinks.  Yes it's oh-so groovy to play the oldies-but-goodies and for us to sing along with them when they do it.  But for NEW music?  No,  Let's NOT get back together and do it again...'cause we look like dinks when we try to keep it urealistically based in the 1960s ... for a whole bunch of different/valid reasons.

There is also the point which has been made in THIS thread several times regarding Al's vocals.  And over these past dozen years or so Brian voice has improved and grown stronger/truer to the 'note'.  Has this been achieved with a little electronic assistance?  Who gives a flying trout?  I have to say that the two weakest voices from the core lineup are not a part of this more realistic 'take' on adult life.  [aka No Pier Pressure.]  And as there are no pre-conceived demands or expectations which might come with any of the other 2 albums in your triumvirate...this album isn't forced to wear the millstone which comes with having Mr. Love along for the 'ride'.  Obviously...as a result...and thankfully...there really is NO pier pressure. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:43:41 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »

I'm happy for Brian and it isn't fair to judge from clips but they don't really hit my personal taste. Obviously I'm in a minority around here and I hope Brian is encouraged to keep on creating.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »

I agree. When I imagine Mike and Bruce as part of this, I thing of their offering the best of themselves, vocally and spiritually, but no one wants weak and pointless contributions. As for the clips, my ears are now only listening for Al and Dave and Blondie parts--not yet hearing the songs in themselves outside of that. But I hear some PLOBAS echoes in that Island song and some frightening synth sounds here and there. No real evaluation beyond that and beyond loving Our special love and The right time--both fantastic. If a Brian-Al-Dave song charts , that would have to make Mike and Bruce think. Their voices could have been wonderful on that, and it could chart, which is what Mike wanted...

will wait for it all

Eh, I don't think it's such a great tragedy or big loss. The lack of "Pisces Brothers," nasal bleating, and lazy references to past hits will make it a better album.

Tho come to think of it, Mike could've done the "take it sloooow" line in his painfully "sensitive" voice. While pantomiming incredibly slowly in the studio to practice his stage moves.

No need to agonize over what might have been, let's enjoy what we actually HAVE! Or will soon, anyway. NOW ANNOUNCE A TOUR POR FAVOR!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »

In conclusion: Al sounds fuckin' great.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »

here we now are, with a 3d consecutive brilliant piece of work, each better than the last. So what gives with this creative rebirth at the age of 70 plus? And, of course, if only all three albums could have been a final Beach Boys trilogy...

I'm not a big fan of the idea of drooling over teenage girls and pretending that we can still do all of the sh!t we used to be able to pull of as if we were living some kind of 'groundhog day' type of endless summer.  Those days are long gone no matter what Michael Edward thinks.  

Speak for yourself.  Wink
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »

Thanks for the link ReggieDunbar. I don't know where JT get the idea that these songs have a Wild Honey or Carl & the Passions feel to them - we are in pure Imagination territory here for the most part. The Right Time is quite good, the chorus keeps growing on me with every listen.
 The song with Nate from Fun - let's just say Brian may not have burned the Smile tapes but there's still time for him to destroy this bowel movement of a tune.
Brian's singing on record is still at that level he reached on the Gershwin record, ie impressive. Al sounds great as always.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:55:55 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »

I'm happy for Brian and it isn't fair to judge from clips but they don't really hit my personal taste. Obviously I'm in a minority around here and I hope Brian is encouraged to keep on creating.

I was gonna say something like that but you said it better so Il just say...agreed.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »

On first listen, I was kind of let down. Some of the production is just not my taste, and I especially didn't like the 80s feel on Runaway Dancer, the boy-band feel on Our Special Love (though that's probably mostly the lead vocal), or the synth horns (really?) on Don't Worry. However, on additional listens, I really started to be able to overlook those things. This is a strong album.

There are moments where Brian seems to be able to capture an emotion so well, like in "Guess You Had to Be There" and "This Beautiful Day." And the un-hip moments are charming--like Zoe Dechanel in On the Island referring to a "color TV," as if there's anything else these days. Of course, the harmonies are superb. I'm excited.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »

Ontor - Agreed.  I LOVE the sound of the voices on this record.  We even get the familiarity we all seem to like and the family-feeling harmonies with Al and Matt and Brian sounding great.  We still haven't heard a lot, like Blondie's stuff adding another dimension to this, Kasey Musgraves, and everything that will make it a complete Brian great. I would use the phrase, "wouldn't change a thing," but it sounds ridiculous, as we're talking about Brian Wilson here.  He knows what voices he wants.  It's his creation.  I'm thrilled as hell and just keep ordering NPP from various places because it's so fun to be able to do it.

Seeing the astrologers weighing in here, I had to chuckle.  In the late 90's I remember telling Brian and Melinda that I saw another huge creative/success peak around age 70 for Brian.  He got a big grin on his face like he already knew it.  I don't think he needs us astrologers - He's him and he knows what he's up to - "I'm thinking maybe I'll just stay..."  Lucky for us, he did and we're STILL getting these wonderful musical gifts...very, VERY cool...
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »

Runaway Dancer and On The Island are the two I'm looking forward to the most.

So who's buying the surfboard bundle?
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/reggiedunbar/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-previews

Uploaded it to soundcloud. Don't know how long they'll let it stay due to copyright stuff. So listen fast Smiley
Thank you so much for uploading this.

On my second listen (checking the google play page to see which track's which),
I'm hearing different layers of retro, some 70s, some calling back to his musical/Beach Boys past,
+ others to more recent(ish)/current takes on retro sounds.
maybe some vocal processing but you can't really judge from a transcoded recording of a compressed stream.

Intro/wordless fragment of This Beautiful Day is wonderful - initial (& 2nd reaction) is this Shocked but good shock -in awe   feels like healing music .
Runaway Dancer reminds me of early 00s club disco (Plus Mccartney/Wings' Wonderful Christmas Time's chaotic synths for some reason) + 80s smooth sax . - could get annoying very quickly , prob non essential.  

What Ever Happened is lovely.
Massive lols at the soundcloud commentator adding "goes pssh" just as she sings "a cigarette" on On The Island

there's an internet indie station (soma fm - the bagel) I can really see playing some of these tracks (they already play She & him).

Our special love going into The Right Time just works (the end of the that clip just made me go ahh)

Somewhere Quiet, I'm Feeling Sad, & Tell Me Why are going to be special. The song before Saturday Night (fake edit - One Kind Of Love) really stood out (my inner 13 year old adores it) - reminds me of that Van Dyke Parks quote of Brian suffering from “an absence of unconditional love-love that has no contingencies, no hooks, no fine print, no exploitation in the subclauses”.

Saturday Night feels like I've heard it before (haven't knowingly heard The Format, but really like Fun.), it's catchy, happy, fun - could/should be massive - give it a good video & the right promotion and it could be all over Uk music channels like Fun's hits were.

aw at The Last Song - this is really going to be f-ing special.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »

I wonder about that.  TWgawdMTR is a Beach Boys album.  I think it might have been done with a sort of what would 'they' expect from us for our 50th anniversay album.  Why wouldn't they consider that?  [consider 'us'?]  That said...I'm not a big fan of the idea of drooling over teenage girls and pretending that we can still do all of the sh!t we used to be able to pull of as if we were living some kind of 'groundhog day' type of endless summer.  Those days are long gone no matter what Michael Edward thinks.  Yes it's oh-so groovy to play the oldies-but-goodies and for us to sing along with them when they do it.  But for NEW music?  No,  Let's NOT get back together and do it again...'cause we look like dinks when we try to keep it urealistically based in the 1960s ... for a whole bunch of different/valid reasons.

There is also the point which has been made in THIS thread several times regarding Al's vocals.  And over these past dozen years or so Brian voice has improved and grown stronger/truer to the 'note'.  Has this been achieved with a little electronic assistance?  Who gives a flying trout?  I have to say that the two weakest voices from the core lineup are not a part of this more realistic 'take' on adult life.  [aka No Pier Pressure.]  And as there are no pre-conceived demands or expectations which might come with any of the other 2 albums in your triumvirate...this album isn't forced to wear the millstone which comes with having Mr. Love along for the 'ride'.  Obviously...as a result...and thankfully...there really is NO pier pressure. Cool Guy
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  Precisely!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »

Is it weird that I want to wait until I get my copy (of the Japanese version) of the album before I listen to anything else from it? I'm not even going to listen to "The Right Time" again. I don't want to spoil anything for myself... I shall wait. Eagerly.
I'm really enjoying reading the commentary, but I feel the same way. Haven't listened yet... still holding out for that 'Christmas morning' moment when I can get the album and play it all the way through. I guess it's the kid in me.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »

I was very dubious about "The Right Time" but I'm completely back on board having heard the snippets!

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »

The first few seconds of "This Beautiful Day" – if that's what the first snippet is taken from - have very similar muted trumpet to Gershwin's "Here Come de Honey Man" as played by Miles Davis on the Porgy and Bess soundtrack…

… which is an interesting thing to note, given the history of that track and the story of Smile bootlegs.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »

The first few seconds of "This Beautiful Day" – if that's what the first snippet is taken from - have very similar muted trumpet to Gershwin's "Here Come de Honey Man" as played by Miles Davis on the Porgy and Bess soundtrack…

… which is an interesting thing to note, given the history of that track and the story of Smile bootlegs.

There's that old BW sense of humor....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »

I was gonna say something like that but you said it better so Il just say...agreed.

Agree 100%.  I hear some good songs in there, and Brian and Al sound really great, but...yeesh, this production style is not my bag *at all*.  It just strikes me as very much in the "Imagination" vein (which also had several songs I quite liked married to production I couldn't stand), and that's not something I enjoy.  (And I don't really feel the more "contemporary" tracks, either.)

Feeling very conflicted and disappointed in the sound of the clips (from a production standpoint, not writing or vocal performance standpoint).  I am really glad Brian's still making music, though.  I just feel like this isn't really my thing.  I can only speak for myself, though.  *shrugs*
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:56:32 AM by Tomorrowville » Logged

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »

Brian and Zooey sounds like they are having the most inappropriate relationship in that song.

Go Brian!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

Sounds alright. A few samples seem pretty excellent and several others sound like the usual BW duds we've come to expect. I'm not feeling what some posters are are all thrilled about. It was a good move to include Al though. He sounds much better than BW these days. Kind of sad though that it seems like the best way to improve a Brian Wilson album in 2015 is to have less Brian Wilson on it.

Agreed.  I hear roughly 3 really good tunes that are clearly out of place with the rest which sounds like the typical solo BW plodding uninspired stuff.

To say this is his best solo album ever isn't really saying much, even if it was.

I know you're not a BW fan from your previous posts (to each his own), so I'm honestly curious...which three songs were they?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2015, 11:06:38 AM »

What's your opinion of "Pisces Brothers"? Do you like that?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx