gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:02:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Today article  (Read 1878 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »

Friends of mine and BB fans are invited to my blog, Reuminations for a 50th Anniversary article on The Beach Boys Today. It can be found at blogspot.com.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »

Wonderful blog, Peter. A delight to read.

Only that Good To My Baby is a straight 4/4.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »

It was Bruce & Terry, not The Hondells. Eventually released on the Sundazed Best Of....

That tiny niggle aside, a most splendid article.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:02:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:39:34 PM »

Thank you both for the visit and the advice. Adjustments shall be made....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »

Sorry Peter...I'm just a dolt when it comes to the ins and outs of the information super-highway.  May I please have a link.  I went to blogspot.com and all I could find was them trying to direct me toward doing some blogging of my own.  Shocked  I'd prefer to read yours.  Lee
-------------------------

ps... And Embarrassed I've been there before. Embarrassed

pps...I googled it...  http://peternreum.blogspot.ca/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&max-results=4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:54:13 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »

Great article Peter. As I said on Facebook today, Side 2 is heaven...well except for the "bull session."

In an alternate world, I take that out, replace it with All Dressed Up (side 1) and move Ronda to side 2 (perhaps in a slower arrangement to match the other track.s)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »

Great article Peter. As I said on Facebook today, Side 2 is heaven...well except for the "bull session."

In an alternate world, I take that out, replace it with All Dressed Up (side 1) and move Ronda to side 2 (perhaps in a slower arrangement to match the other track.s)

I still wish I knew why "All Dressed Up For School" was dropped. We can assume it was due to racy lyrics... but I'll bet, just bet, that someone put that thought/seed of doubt into Brian's head. Either a bandmember, friend, or the record label. Would be interesting to find out.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »

Enjoyable.  Informative.  Regarding 'Help Me Rhonda'...In late March 1965 Terry produced it for The Rip Chords.  [along with a version of the classic 'Love is Strange']  Their version was "on release" at Columbia.  The singles were already pressed.  Ads shot.  And...Brian showed up at the office to tell Terry that he had re-recorded it and that it was going to be the Beach Boys next single. 

Brian..."I'm going to put this out myself, so what can you do for me?
Terry..."Well, I'll kill the release."

And this is when they "actually became friends".

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

Enjoyable.  Informative.  Regarding 'Help Me Rhonda'...In late March 1965 Terry produced it for The Rip Chords.  [along with a version of the classic 'Love is Strange']  Their version was "on release" at Columbia.  The singles were already pressed.  Ads shot.  And...Brian showed up at the office to tell Terry that he had re-recorded it and that it was going to be the Beach Boys next single. 

Brian..."I'm going to put this out myself, so what can you do for me?
Terry..."Well, I'll kill the release."

And this is when they "actually became friends".

Wonder if this was due to the probable flak Brian had to hear for letting "Little Honda" get away from being a single (with another band's version being a hit) only months earlier.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx