gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:14:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should it have been The BB's "Baby Blue" on the Breaking Bad finale?  (Read 2732 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »

I for one think it would have worked better than the Badfinger song.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »

Not at all.  The Badfinger song worked just perfectly.

CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »

I've thought of this, myself, and but I've still gotta say that my answer is no.  LOL
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:19 PM »

Absolutely not! As much as I do love the Beach Boys song, Badfinger's "Baby Blue" was undoubtedly the perfect song to end a show like Breaking Bad.  3D
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »

As much as I prefer The Beach Boys version, I think the Badfinger version worked best.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:33:30 AM »

I prefer the BB song but I think the Badfinger song did the job just perfectly.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:58:10 AM »

NOOOOOOOO ! ! !
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »

I for one think it would have worked better than the Badfinger song.

How?  Think of why Walt continued making his meth long after he was able to afford his cancer treatment. He stated in the finale to Skyler the only reason he did it was that he loved doing it more than he loved his family and loved how being the Kingpin made him feel. Remember? "I'm the one who knocks!"  The lyrics of the Badfinger song is more appropriate to Walt's story arc than the BB song which is, in essence a simple love song.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:43 AM »

I’m not one who usually super scrutinized soundtrack selections like this, especially when they’re reaching back and repurposing an old track. But the use of Badfinger’s “Baby Blue” was perfect. “Guess I got what I deserved” is the first line you hear, and I’d wager that was important to the writers.

I’d argue that Badfinger song is musically and lyrically just as good if not better than the Dennis/BB track, and arguably in some ways a more important recording as it’s one of the earliest examples of “Power Pop.”

In any event, it goes without saying that the two tracks are pretty different, and both are great. But I think an argument that they should have used the BB track could be grounded in a “I like the BB’s, so they should have used a BB track” mentality.

Now, as Howie Edelson has pointed out, someone in the BRI camp *should* be more aggressively marketing the use of BB tracks in TV and film. I’m not a big fan of trendy use of old songs, especially when they’re just used in movie trailers and don’t even appear in the actual film. But it does proportionately bring a lot of new ears to a song (and reminds old ears as well), and makes a good chunk of money as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:47 AM »

I’m not one who usually super scrutinized soundtrack selections like this, especially when they’re reaching back and repurposing an old track. But the use of Badfinger’s “Baby Blue” was perfect. “Guess I got what I deserved” is the first line you hear, and I’d wager that was important to the writers.

Absolutely! That scene was Walt accepting whatever consequence  of all of his crimes and deeds.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

I’d argue that Badfinger song is musically and lyrically just as good if not better than the Dennis/BB track, and arguably in some ways a more important recording as it’s one of the earliest examples of “Power Pop.”

In any event, it goes without saying that the two tracks are pretty different, and both are great. But I think an argument that they should have used the BB track could be grounded in a “I like the BB’s, so they should have used a BB track” mentality.

Now, as Howie Edelson has pointed out, someone in the BRI camp *should* be more aggressively marketing the use of BB tracks in TV and film. I’m not a big fan of trendy use of old songs, especially when they’re just used in movie trailers and don’t even appear in the actual film. But it does proportionately bring a lot of new ears to a song (and reminds old ears as well), and makes a good chunk of money as well.

Yes, my opinion on this is rather selfish: just think of how many instant fans of more obscure Beach Boys stuff there would suddenly be if the song had been used instead and how Dennis' cache as a songwriter of note would be elevated in the general public's awareness literally overnight!

I'd also argue that Dennis' Baby Blue is just as important for the development of Yacht Rock as Badfinger's was for power pop!

Speaking of: did Dennis invent yacht rock?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:54:07 AM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »

Yes, my opinion on this is rather selfish: just think of how many instant fans of more obscure Beach Boys stuff there would suddenly be if the song had been used instead and how Dennis' cache as a songwriter of note would be elevated in the general public's awareness literally overnight!

I'd also argue that Dennis' Baby Blue is just as important for the development of Yacht Rock as Badfinger's was for power pop!

How would that serve the story being told in Breaking Bad?

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »

Any song used in such a manner does not need to directly relate lyrically to the show in question .... However:  "Late at night when the whole world's sleeping, I dream of you. Baby, baby blue."

I certainly works.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »

Any song used in such a manner does not need to directly relate lyrically to the show in question .... However:  "Late at night when the whole world's sleeping, I dream of you. Baby, baby blue."

I certainly works.

No it wouldn't.

Badfinger was the perfect choice. Deal with it.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »

Baby blue is too boring and bland for the ending of a major show like breaking bad.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »

The Bad Finger song was appropriate and mirrored Walter Whites lack of remorse and total acceptance of the consequences of a lifestyle he loved.

Dennis' song doesn't at all. The only thing the two have in common is the choice of color. That's it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:55 AM »

Any song used in such a manner does not need to directly relate lyrically to the show in question .... However:  "Late at night when the whole world's sleeping, I dream of you. Baby, baby blue."

It certainly works.

[/quote ]

No it wouldn't.

Badfinger was the perfect choice. Deal with it.

You mean they're not going to go back and re-edit the episode just for me?? :/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:26:02 AM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »

The Bad Finger song was appropriate and mirrored Walter Whites lack of remorse and total acceptance of the consequences of a lifestyle he loved.

Dennis' song doesn't at all. The only thing the two have in common is the choice of color. That's it.

Yeah: Baby Blue is the epitome of boring and bland!

What Beach Boys output DO you like?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »

Not the LA light album, its too boring and cheesy for my tastes. Good Timin and the bamboo songs are the only good songs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »

I'm going to assume you misquoted me and you were actually rsponding to Smile Brian.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »

I'm going to assume you misquoted me and you were actually rsponding to Smile Brian.

Oops! Yes sir! Thankfully Smile Brian is on the ball and figured it out Smiley

Not much of a sense of humor around here. Sheesh

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx