gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:15:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Lesley Gore  (Read 5306 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:32 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/16/it-my-party-singer-lesley-gore-dies-at-68/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »

What sad news. "Maybe I Know" was my favourite among her songs. Rest in peace, Ms Gore. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »

I was sad to hear this. I don't know much about Lesley's songs besides the hits, but I always loved "You Don't Own Me," and I know she was a bit of a social activist as well.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »

sh*t, this hurts.

R.I.P. you magnificent woman..! Your voice will always stay with me. "Maybe I Know", "She's A Fool", "The Old Crowd", "You Don't Own Me"..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:31:51 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »

Was shocked when I heard the news this morning. Loved "It's My Party", among other songs. May she rest in peace.  Cry
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:46 PM »

Sad news indeed and too young to go. A part of the soundtrack to my childhood just died. Too many wonderful records by her to name here. She had a terrific voice and got great material and immaculate production from Quincy Jones. She is the Queen of the 60s Girl Groups.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:14:03 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/16/lesley-gore-singer-of-its-my-party-dies-aged-68
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XoNF-fzYMw

My sympathies to Leslie's loved ones, family and friends.  Sorry for your loss.

So sudden.  So sad.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19918.msg499748/topicseen.html#msg499748
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:00:46 PM »

Magic Colors LP - released by Rhino I think, is a great, great long lost album. 1967 - peak Sixties. "It's a Happening World"
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »

California Nights is probably my favorite hit of hers. RIP.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »

Such a fantastically talented singer, we've talked about her several times on this board and just how generally great she was.  There were so many really cool vocal and harmonic moments in a lot of her songs, like the bridge to "Maybe I Know" or the awesome "Tami" show performance (Here's a link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0y1Rr5kPII

Her voice was so cool, so dead on key all the time even live.  I believe she had the fabled "Perfect Pitch", her voice almost rings and resonates it's so dead on pitch.  So talented, we'll miss her...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Merged the two topics into this. Sad news, I posted "Maybe I Know" on my Facebook page, I think that is simply an amazing record and probably my favorite Lesley Gore record of all. The songwriting alone, the way the chords go in some very unexpected directions and surprise directions, underneath a terrific vocal performance. Brilliant record. Any songwriter who hasn't heard it should drop everything and listen immediately.

Consider too some of those classic 60's hits produced by Quincy Jones - He brought a certain sensibility to the studio that on paper wouldn't seem to fit what was still known as "teen" pop when Lesley was cutting those records, and there is that extra *something* that happened when Quincy was producing Lesley in the studio. A perfect but unlikely match: Quincy at that time perhaps best known for working with the Basie band and leading them as they backed Sinatra on albums like Sinatra At The Sands, and here he was doing teenage pop music with a young singer - And it worked, it beyond worked, it was incredible, and Lesley could deliver the goods.

RIP.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

Let me just add too, one of the trademark sounds of Lesley's bigger hit records is the doubletracked lead vocal. It adds that extra weight and sonic goodness that made those mixes jump out of AM radio in the 60's. Ace songwriting, ace production, ace vocal and instrumental performances...recipe for hit records. I love those sounds.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »

Guitar Fool what do you think about the 'perfect pitch' thing?  Basically as I understand it, most people sing in relative pitch, all their notes are the same step apart but may be slightly off vibration of the true note, people with perfect pitch don't need a starting note because they can hear if the note is dead on the correct vibration, even if the band is playing in relative pitch. 

I think she had that, it explains the 'shimmer' her vocals had.  I wonder if it could be analyzed with anything to see if she truly was dead on note. 
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »

A great loss. All of the R & R stars of my era are slowly fading into the sunset. Come to think of it, so am I.....

Make waves, not love
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »

"i'm sad to hear about Lesley Gore passing away today. She sang sweetly and her songs bring back such great memories. Love and Mercy, Brian"

I'm very bummed. Loved her.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:17:11 PM by rn57 » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »

100 years from now students of pop will still be getting knocked out by the sheer tunefulness of"Maybe I Know" , It's My Party", and the rest of her classic songs. Her spirit lives on. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »

Such a fantastically talented singer, we've talked about her several times on this board and just how generally great she was.  There were so many really cool vocal and harmonic moments in a lot of her songs, like the bridge to "Maybe I Know" or the awesome "Tami" show performance (Here's a link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0y1Rr5kPII

Her voice was so cool, so dead on key all the time even live.  I believe she had the fabled "Perfect Pitch", her voice almost rings and resonates it's so dead on pitch.  So talented, we'll miss her...

Damn, yeah, that TAMI Show performance is amazing. What a voice, now belonging to the ages.....

Another one I've always loved by her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmBXEZEYtg

There's never been a bus I've wanted to be on more than that one.... So happy, so uplifting.

Fuckin' cancer taking people before their time.... If there is a god, he sure enjoys watching people suffer....

No mas, por favor.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 05:06:45 AM »

I listen to her greatest hits every so often. Sad to hear this. RIP
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »

I just found out today.  I was listening to one of her songs an hour prior to when I read about it on facebook.  R.i.p.  Cry

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »

Such superb pop music, sparkling,  tuneful,  unique.   Yeah .  She has indeed been discussed here and on other boards where top tier pop of the day is discussed  lovingly and respectfully.   We concluded our evening of Fat Tuesday listening with a  re listen to our fav Leslie songs.   Hope she was spared too much pain in the end. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »

I never got the universal love for "Maybe I Know". Even on beatles.ru* they regard it high. Is it me or sth. wrong with my sound system? Once I heard it, twice I heard - nothing. Magic didn't happen. Really tame tune.

Condolences to Lesley's fam 'n' fans. As *someone said aptly, "Now we all - collective Judy ((( it's our turn to cry (((".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »

Didn't know of her passing till I just checked this thread. Very sad news.  One of the all-time greats, she will be missed.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

I never got the universal love for "Maybe I Know". Even on beatles.ru* they regard it high. Is it me or sth. wrong with my sound system? Once I heard it, twice I heard - nothing. Magic didn't happen. Really tame tune.

Condolences to Lesley's fam 'n' fans. As *someone said aptly, "Now we all - collective Judy ((( it's our turn to cry (((".

To be honest, your taste has been suspect for a long time on this forum Smiley  You should preface all your comments about music with "Just to be clear, I don't think Maybe I Know is a good song."

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx